Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People expected (or hoped) for a Kharkiv (fast paced) kinda result but it's looking more like Kherson (slow and attritional).

Both of which were successful, let's not forget.

Let's not also forget that Ukraine has still not committed the bulk of it's forces to the frontline. There's still in the region of 70% of forces held back.

It's still in the prodding and probing phase.

Hopefully with the addition of cluster shells they can just target the weakest spot on the frontline and obliterate it before then committing the main force.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Stupid fricking article. “America risks losing the moral high ground”

Country A invades country B. Country C helps country B by providing the munitions B is asking for. That risks the “moral high ground” for Country C how, exactly?

And what is the increase of the effective range of a weapon mounted on “moral high ground” anyway? I suspect Ukraine’s needs are more practical than moral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Exactly. Or, more generally, if someone dies in war Im sure they arent too concerned about the exact mechanism of their death.

The use of cluster munitions on an entrenched position containing only soldiers is a morally higher ground than using a precision guided high explosive missile on a pizza restaurant containing civilians, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Odd to see 'human rights organisations' falling over themselves to condemn USA for supplying cluster munitions to Ukraine for use on the battlefield. When it was reported iirc last year that Russia used these on civilian targets like the train station. Fly these protestors out to the frontlines and let them advance on Russian positions waving their placards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

After a year and a half it seems people and the world still aren’t taking this war seriously.

Still that underline sympathy for Russia and forgetting all the misery it has brought on Ukraine.

As if we should feel any guilt in using cluster bombs against an invading country who are using the same bombs themselves and commit war crimes daily and for the whole world to see on top of kidnapping and raping kids.

The world has truly lost itself.

Never again we were told….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

“Human rights” of a murderous invading army. Would you stop. That whole two-word concept has become so deceptive and hollow in recent years, as it is being used to undermine democracies and sow division where it rears its head in the too compliant west. One rule for the west, another for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Bit surprised by this below. Can’t see how it does much to affect nato unity?

US decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine 'runs the risk of fracturing NATO' Joe Biden's decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine "runs the risk" of fracturing the NATO alliance, a former chief of general staff for the British Army has said. 

When making the announcement, the US president said he decided to send the controversial weapons, which have been banned by 120 countries, because Kyiv is "running out of ammunition". 

Speaking to Sky News, General Lord Dannatt said it must have been a "very difficult decision", and he is not alone in being "very uncomfortable" about it. 

"From personal experience, when I was commander British forces and we went into Kosovo in 1999, the only two soldiers that we lost were as a result of unexploded munitions from NATO's cluster weapons, which at that stage were still allowed to be used," he said. 

"I can understand why the Americans want to provide this additional firepower to Ukraine to help its counteroffensive along.

"But as we're coming up to Vilnius NATO summit, where one of the most important things is that we show the unity of NATO together, I think to announce deployment of these weapons at this moment when so many other NATO countries have banned them, runs the risk of fracturing to an extent that NATO harmony." 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The foreign policy of western nations does not give Russia a free pass over its actions in Ukraine. Its possible to both oppose American Foreign Policy over the years and still condemn Russia's war in Ukraine

• Advertisement

My post was about the pliability and sham of the term “human rights” as used and weaponised against democratically elected governments by various groups and institutions in the west nowadays.

You oppose the American foreign policy, good for you. Carry on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there a potential future problem alongside the flood of mines, where unexploded ones are gonna kill dozens years after the war ends?

I can see the moral argument where in a desperation to clear the entrenched Russians - and by and large it seems like this will do the job - Ukraine's setting itself up for a humanitarian crisis down the road when it's rebuilding the country and dealing with the unexploded ordinance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Explosives are explosives, no matter what fancy names they are given, The problem I have with cluster bombs is that as they use parachutes to float down, but the parachutes also mean that they can be blown way off course from their target area, and second, too many fail to explode on impact, and remain lethal for a long time. In this respect, the Chinese and Russian made cluster bombs are the worst offenders. Having said that , there's some bang off them, and I would not like to be anyone on the receiving end of them.

Biden letting it slip Ukraine is running out of ammunition isn’t helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More like vocalising that support has to be constant and consistent; a few once off gestures won't suffice if America is serious about support in the medium to long term. Stating the obvious that Ukraine is gonna run low - armies win battles but logistics win wars.

You said one rule for the west, and another for everyone else. You oppose western double standards. Well done. To reiterate this does not mitigate against ongoing Russian Human Right abuses in Ukraine .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is Ukraine deploying these munitions. Clearly they are morally entitled to determine if using these weapons is the right call versus being Infested with the current worst human rights abusers in the world.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Nope, what I said is one rule for the west where it is meant to stringently uphold “human rights” of various groups with very tenuous claims on victimisation, while Russians, Saudis or whoever else have no care in the world resolutely NOT upholding “human rights” and at the same time find no impediment to chairing the UN Security Council or its ahem Human Rights Council. Those, worldwide-set, double standards is what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

It has nothing to do with the human rights of Russian soldiers. The issue is the threat that cluster munitions present to the civilian population long after they are deployed. In other words Ukrainians are putting their own population in danger by resorting to these weapons. Places where cluster munitions are used at scale become uninhabitable for years. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russian soldiers attacking Ukraine have no human rights. If they don't see fit to surrender or turn around and go home, then they should be rendered 'combat ineffective' in whatever way is most efficient. Preferably, if they die, their deaths should be so swift as to be essentially painless, but I think Ukraine should prioritise Russian casualties over the most merciful method of inflicting them, unless these two things are one and the same.

There is a way to save these Russian lives, however, and it rests in mr. Putin's hands. Call off this war - let these young men go back to their families, work, and raise families of their own. Let them live lives of relative happiness and peace.

I would trust Ukrainians with any and all decisions regarding their land, the well-being of their people and the future of their children, as a matter of course but especially so at this juncture in time. I am sure no decision in that government is taken lightly. If they don’t want the cluster ammunitions, they will say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

1. I don't think anyone is making the case against cluster munitions due to the human rights of Russian soldiers. Every opponent to this decision that I have seen or read is purely down to the lasting damage that these munitions will do long after the war
    2. That argument is a moot point at this stage though given that the front lines are already littered with all sorts of mines and that the Russians have been extensively using cluster munitions since the very beginning. Having a unilateral ban at this stage would only help Russia, especially given that the Ukrainians face a shortage of ammunition and the USA has large stock piles of these weapons.
    3. The people who will be most affected in the long-run by cluster munitions hidden on the land will be whomever holds this land into the future. Given that the Ukrainians are fighting to win this land then they are the only ones whose opinion truly matters. They want them. That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What's more concerning is the manner in which the offensive is taking place.

People mocked Wagner for the slow pace of their advance at Bakhmut and the tactics they employed. Ukraine have been doing something very similar in the counter attack at the same place for the last 2 months. There are many videos and clips out there, you can go back in time in the Deepstate map to see the daily advances. What we're seeing is well-trained Ukrainian forces going trench to trench where advances in a day if they happen are measured in metres.

You can see some of the formations involved with the current assault on Klishchiikva. The Azov Brigade, Aidar, 5th assault, the forces Ukraine are using aren't insignificant.

It would seem to me that the war is being fought on Russian terms. The attrition that an attacking force will suffer is greater than the territorial gains that are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

USA is sending MORE guns that need more ammo which they are also sending in the form of cluster shells of which they have millions in storage. Ukraine should have artillery superiority eventually. Russian troops misery just multiplied. I wouldn't be concerned about unexploded munitions as the entire country will be intensely demined anyway they'll get the duds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Russia has mined much of the Ukrainian lands anyway. The whole eastern part of the country will need to be carefully demined afterwards so a few extras won't matter much.

Besides, they could always drop a few on the mine fields and help things along.

The Kremlin's tactic for dealing with Prigozhin are becoming clearer and clearer

Putin probably thought if he eliminated him immediately after the revolt then there would be a danger that he could become a martyr. Instead he's letting his propagandists tear down Prigozhin's reputation first. I had to laugh at the performance of the main goober in this video - his "surprise" and "outrage" that they found a few handguns in the house and then the host clearing playing devil's advocate.

Speaking of Prigozhin - The last audio message from him was about a week ago and I don't believe there has been any video footage of him since he left Rostov. His plane is flying all over the place but there's no guarantee that he's actually on it. The Belarussians are saying he's not there and the new Wagner camp there is entirely empty. He could very well be either dead or in captivity right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they have a need for the cluster bombs on specific targets, they will use them and should.

Listening to a Muppet on sky talk about bit of NATO fracturing over their use. What boll78.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

As your man on Sky News said, the clusters will be used a lot in areas that are mined anyway. Also, I believe, they will make a map of where they are used to make cleaning up easier.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I largely agree with you but he has a point in that conditions now favour the Russians, it's always easier to be the poor soldier behind 6 feet of reinforced concrete shooting at the professional soldier running across the field.

That doesn't mean that Russia will hold what they have, they might or might not, but freeing it will be difficult and very costly in terms of Ukrainian lives.

Hopefully the cluster bombs will make up for the chronic shortfall in artillery shells being sent to Ukraine.

Hopefully as well, we'll see a collapse in the Russian lines and people fleeing but that is not probably going to happen.

• Advertisement

No. I think you were right the first time. They are dismantling his reputation bit by bit, the wigs story is a testament to that also. If Prigozhin does not have dirt on Putin he will fall out a window or get food poisoning in a few months time. I wonder what is going on with the General? I read an article that said if he was charged with anything it would cause further dissension within the Russian Army.

To be honest I think the cluster munitions will prove decisive in breaking Russian resistance. I can see morale in the Russian Army decreasing even further as a consequence. I won't be surprised if we hear about Russian soldiers being shot by their own commanders because they want to surrender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The place is (a) littered with scum of the earth Russian soldiers and (b) littered with mines and booby traps put there by Russia.

I don't see any valid basis to assert they are putting their own population in any more danger than they currently face, either short or long term.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rishi Sunak has said the UK "discourages" the use of cluster bombs after the US agreed to send them to Ukraine.

**** off.

Russia are using them, fight fire with fire.

Wish these idiots would just keep their mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I reckon they will be that tightly controlled as to where and where they can't be deployed,they might not be the game changer people are thinking, Western tanks and IFVs haven't been effective as people originally thought either, they need to keep changing tactics until they find the right ones for the right situations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Where on the map does it display Ukrainian tactics?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Ukraine needs more tools in the armory for any chance of an even fight

Russia is throwing manpower at this war cluster the fcuk out of them they are better dead or maimed

I suspect prigozen is dead but civil war is brewing Russian way is about strength putin's is finished.

I'd be reluctant to say that any one weapon or system will be the one to make the Russians break. After all the Russians have been using cluster bombs and thermobaric munitions (TOS-1) since the start of the war and have found it very difficult to break Ukrainian defensive lines. They'll certainly help the Ukrainians, especially if the alternative was running out of ammunition but I think it's wise to manage expectations about what they can achieve.

I also wouldn't bank on Russians breaking. If there's one thing they are experts in it is unquestionably absorbing suffering, often at the hands of their own leaders and commanders. Even when Russian units upload videos complaining about their conditions and leadership they often show an immense subservience to higher authorities. They either address the President directly or else they ask their relatives to petition local Governors or military officials. It's like they think that the problem is at a unit command level but the people higher up are either competent or compassionate. They don't seem to grasp that the entire system is rotten to the core.

That goes for the people back in Russia too. All you have to do is watch a few 1420 videos to realise that people are either buying the propaganda or have completely checked out. Zero chance or a grass roots revolution there anytime soon.

I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on any above by the way but that's my reading of the situation as it stands.

• Advertisement

Yes, I imagine Ukraine has been told only to use them on Russian positions that are not near civilian areas. It's clear the counter offensive is going slower than some would like due to the time Russia has had to dig in, but I think the cluster bombs will lead to speedier gains by Ukraine once they start being deployed on the battlefield.

I think once it dawns on the average Russian Soliders that they are fighting for a loss cause many of them will fold. Putin at the moment is able to invoke the Stalingrad and Stalin doctrine of the heroic sacrifice for mother Russia but I feel a tipping point is coming. We have seen the cracks emerge with the Prigozhin rebellion. I feel once facts on the ground clearly demonstrate that Russia is on a hiding to nothing there might be a mass surrender of Russian troops and another attempt to remove Putin. I honestly can't see a halfway house solution here whereby America forces Ukraine to compromise and surrender territory. Putin has started something he can't finish and a day of reckoning is coming one way or the other for him. America has invested too much politically in all this for Putin to be able to declare any kind of Victory, which he will do if Ukraine does not claim back all of its territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It sounds like these cluster bombs are ideal for Ukraine right now, as they grapple with a dug-in force. it’ll be very interested to see what difference they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It would seem to me that the war is being fought on Russian terms. The attrition that an attacking force will suffer is greater than the territorial gains that are being made.

And yet the Chief Sergeant of the 3rd Assault Brigade (recently seen in a widely circulated video taking control of Russian positions) says that their attrition rate is way lower than expected. In this video, https://youtu.be/zfpPl9_tjes from about 4min, he debunks a claim made by some propagandist, pointing out that while he's not authorised to give actual numbers, he can say that they'd prepared for an attrition rate of 14% per day but so far counting KIA & MIA-presumed-dead together, they're running at just 2% per month.

The mythical "3-to-1" ratio has long since been rendered useless as a reliable statistic for this war, and you can see why in just about all of the trench-clearing videos. Teams of 4-10 Ukrainians go in and remove 20 Russians from effective combat; and rarely does any less than the original number of Ukranians come back alive. "Markus" also points out that most their injured return to active service; the same is not true for the Russians.

All-in-all, everything seems to suggest that the Ukranians are quite happy with slow but methodical progress and minimal casulaties, whatever the ADHD Western media might want.

I've been wondering roughly what percentage of Russian artillery has been taken out so have tried to get a rough ball park figure.

Using this as a starting point:

According to the Military Balance — a database of global weapons compiled by the International Institute for Strategic Studies — Russia had more than 4,894 artillery pieces in 2022, nearly half of which were self-propelled.  

(I'm assuming that that number includes MLRSs since no separate figure was given for those)

The Oryx database gives a minimum eliminated figure, since that tracks all visible neutralisations. Their numbers are:

• Towed Artillery - 250
    • Self-propelled Artillery - 441
    • MLRS - 230

For a grand total of 921

At the other end of the estimation spectrum we have the Ukrainian MoD's figures:

• Artillery - 4,330
    • MLRS - 658

For a grand total of 4,988

That's quite the difference. Safe to say that the true number lies somewhere in between. The MoD's numbers seem overly optimistic purely because if true it would mean that the Russian's would have run out of artillery pieces. Clearly that hasn't happened and what's more there doesn't seem to be any rumblings that that's going to happen any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

Ruble Euro parity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The use of cluster bombs is a non-issue. Russia is already using them. It's Ukraine's territory, if they want to use them - and take the risk of civilian casualities after the war - that's their decision to make.

They''ll do some damage but they won't be a game-changer. They're being given primarily because USA is short on conventional 155mm ammo.

Whoever controls the territory after the war will have some job clearing the place. But that's already the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately it won't work like that when in a few months or years when Nato will be getting blamed for civilian casualties caused by them especially on children, it's nato who gets the blame and Nato will likely have clean up the mess afterwards.

It's not as simple as it's been made out of be

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement