Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thought Leahy's joke was a bit tasteless this morning...

He's off to see The Stunning and the 4 of Us play soon and said "it'll be my Live Aid, but without the human misery".

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

He should stick to playing tunes. That way no one will know about his tidy six figure part time job and the government won’t close it down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Seems to be some gremlins this morning. Speaking over the songs as if they were a bed. I always suspected the first half hour was voice tracked and I think that confirms it as there was no mention of any issues.

Edit: the breakdown tape just kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Total disaster of a breakfast programme today. Half an hour of emergency tape from 7.00, no acknowledgment of issues. Would seem everything outside 7.30 to 9am is prerecorded and nobody notices if it actually plays out as it’s supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Has anyone ever received a response or clarification from anyone at RTE Gold as to why this is happening? Considering that there would be increased listenership during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Unless Will Leahy notices it when he comes in i doubt there is even anyone else in building checking. He often says its a one man operation made worse now by Ronan Collins being pre-recorded links only until Rick O Shea goes live.

So Leahy is staff but only seems to be doing an hour and a half of a 3 hour show live. I know the rest takes prep but still…

It was given away to me during Covid when Will had to self isolate at home after testing positive. The show sounded normal from 7:00 to 7:30, after which he did his live bit and sounded very different. So I knew the first half hour must have been pre-recorded.

I don't listen at this time of the morning. But what confuses me is that the format of that show consists of Will Leahy reading out the news headlines at the top and bottom of the hour. How is that handled then? Are the news headlines accurate? or is it just yesterdays news?

The first news headlines are at 7:30 so that's when the show goes live. He doesn't any news at 9:30 either.

• Advertisement

I think he spends the first 30 mins prepping for the links after 9

The emergency tape must kick in nearly every day now. Still no sign of the Dave Fanning show rumoured back in February, I suppose Rte are in no hurry to get stuff done. The best thing about Ronan Collins show is at least it’s all recorded so it doesn’t usually crash half way through it

There really is no reason why they couldn’t do what Global do an use the same newsreader as they have on Classic fm to pre record a 60 second News update at 5 to the hour for play out at the top of each hour. Or failing that do it live at :55 past the hour and :25 the hour at breakfast and drive. The levels of automation at RTE are abysmal compared to a slick operation like Global or Bauer in the U.K.

the reason to listen to Rte gold is the wide playlist but they don’t make it easy with their bumbling incompetence at play out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Years ago 2FM used to play Cormac Battle out prerecorded on 2FM in the evening and you'd often hear someone rehearsing or prerecording something else going out live underneath the show. If they couldn't even monitor one of their primary FM broadcast stations off-air, what hope does a niche digital station have!

Besides the fact that Classic Hits, Nova, Sunshine and East Coast can all manage timeshifted news output with as little as a single newsreader. Or FM104/Q102 can do a central live news bulletin. Or pretty much every ILR can have the Newstalk hourly bulletins cut in seamlessly when the station is completely unmanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

7.00 to 7.30 during the breakfast show is spent deciding on which Lewis Capaldi/Niall Horan/Ed Sheeran songs to play on the gold radio station.

Ronan off on his holidays and not taping shows in advance so there is a mix of Aidan and Amanda covering for him and Jon Kenny in for Rick on Friday. Who knows whether any of it will be live!

Was the first 30 minutes of Will Leahy's show always prerecorded? Or is this something that has become more prevalent since taking on Ronan Collins? I always took it that weekday programming was live. I would assume that the fill in presenters will be live but you will be able to tell rather quickly. I don't understand why some of Will Leahy's breakfast show is prerecorded??? It makes things pretty messy IMO. The only authentic live show is Rick O'Shea 1-4pm.

I don't think the first half hour is always pre-recorded but it usually is. The last hour is probably pre-recorded so he can go to his day job as a solicitor.

No top 10 at 10 today. Instead it sounded almost live 🤣

Who was it that presented?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

So it looks like for the rest of the week, Aidan Leonard is on from 10am-1pm with Jon Kenny on for Rick O'Shea this Friday. Amanda Fennelly on 10am -1pm Monday and Tuesday.

I would be pretty confident that those shows will be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I have to say, Will Leahy / Aidan Leonard / Rick O'Shea is a better lineup than Will / Ronan / Rick, for me anyway.

I haven't been overly thrilled with Ronan Collins tbh.

As an aside, I'm dreading Dave Fanning's arrival on Gold. Can't stand him and his motormouth ways. The only person on earth who manages to speak over himself. His playlist could be interesting, as long as he doesn't jabber on..

I agree with you, some of Ronan Collins links can sound a bit to me sort of cringing? I never listened to RC on RTE Radio 1 so I don't know his true presentation style. Would like to hear him do a live show, but that is quite unlikely.

Wouldn't like to hear Dave Fanning on a regular weekday show as his particular playlists would veer off from Gold's format as I don't think Dave Fanning would be into the type of music that Gold puts out but I think a regular weekend slot would be interesting.

I do have a great respect for Aidan Leonard, he's a guy that has worked in Dublin radio since the late 70s, through the super pirate era and in the early phases of legalised local and national radio. Very experienced radio person and I bet he would have a wealth of radio stories to tell.

John Kenny (rte staff not contract I think ) doing a great job for Rick today.

Ronans style was a lot different on RTE Radio 1 but it was around 50 minutes and live. The recorded links just dont seem to be a fit for this 10-1 show and a very strange choice really.

Jeez, 50 minutes work on RTE Radio 1! I wonder would doing a 3 hour live radio show be too much for him? Just listening today, at least Jon Kenny did his show live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Rick was very popular on the 10 to 1 shift, until Ronan took over that slot.

It meant that both live shows (Will and then Rick) were back to back, then automation kicks in at 1

So they should really move Ronan's voicetracked show to the 1 to 4 afternoon slot, or maybe in the evening.

It is like listening to a different presenter compared to Ronan's show on Radio 1.

Exactly, they should have the live weekday shows back to back. Ronan Collins slot is essentially automation, it really should be from 1pm onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I feel that this station has more potential than 2fm, if it was developed better. There seems to be more talk about it especially on social media. I wonder if there was a poll about replacing 2fm with Gold would it get much interest!

Advertisement