Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is my similar pleasure from that era, Coldwinter on the PS2, I don't believe it ever got a release on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

No One Lives Forever games, while good, are not that good to be worth chasing and untangling their IP mess. And if there is some appetite for this kind of style and atmosphere then totally new IP can be developed - and for that we got Deathloop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Couldn’t disagree more with that. Quality doesn’t come into it: no significant or well-regarded game should be caught in IP limbo, and nobody should be happy when that’s the case. Everyone benefits when as many games as possible are as easy to play as possible. If a PC game isn’t readily available on Steam or GOG, then it’s a real shame and far from ideal. For preservation alone, everyone needs to strive for games to be as easily accessible as possible, and things like the Quake re-releases show how much an old game can benefit from the effort to do a proper update for modern machines.

That said, went digging around for NOLF1 after reading the conversation here and thankfully fans have done a great job updating it for modern machines. Played through the first hour and despite some predictable weirdness with resolutions and the like it’s thankfully perfectly usable. I’m all for fan-driven updates and releases when the companies involved are happy to just let it die otherwise. Still, the best possible outcome would be if Nightdive succeeded in their efforts and managed to untangle the rights to give the two games the treatment they deserve.

I don't disagree and certainly I'm not happy but it is what it is. The IP owners won't do anything about it, and that includes not even bothering to search their archives, and that's the reason Nightdive gave up - no one lives will finance a game with unclear IP situation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of found deathloop pretty bad. Felt like it only got good response because it was the first ps5 game worth playing but it's not that good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a Kotaku article diving into the rights issue... I'd not hold my breath tbh cos it sounds more trouble than its worth at this stage.

Never loved NOLF2 as much; always felt a much more muted, less imaginative game - which I always ascribed to how the first game basically had about 3 games' worth of set pieces in it already...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've no doubt at all it's complicated, and kudos to Night Dive for their valiant efforts to get it over the line. No doubt they tried as hard as they could.

But I'm never satisfied with seeing any work of art disappear due to stupid corporate wrangling and red tape. You see it with films too - it's a travesty major works like The Heartbreak Kid (1972) aren't available due to rights issues.

But given we've seen previous 'impossible' re-releases like the old Lucasarts point n click games unexpectedly emerge from rights hell, we can only hold out hope that NOLF will be liberated too. In the meantime, fans and piracy are keeping the games playable, so that's something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

I hated deathloop. Played about 15hours and gave up. Couldn't be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, Deathloop didn't do it for me either. Just got bored quickly. Think I had about 10 hours. Looking back on Arkanes catalogue, I've only really liked the first Dishonored.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I liked a lot of Deathloop, but once you realise there's only one way to kill all the targets in one day, the game just becomes fairly formulaic. And the power to link nearby targets and then just shoot one in the head so they all die (particularly with the stealth nailgun), there's f*ck all point doing anything other than that.

If there were maybe 3 or 4 ways to take everyone out in one day, like manipulating them in other ways early in the day to group them in different ways in the evening, that would have been more interesting.

The Julianna thing was a bit of fun though. I did like that.

• Advertisement

All this talk about Deathloop makes me want to play it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Amazon Prime Gaming.

What is it ? Is it PC only ?

Looks like a terrible mobile game store front. In fact all these digital stores are beginning to look like so much tat.

I just can't handle the stack 'em high, as much as you can eat approach to anything.

A shoebox full of Switch AAA physical games. That's enough gaming for me at this stage. 😁

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Had it for years, occasionally think to claim free games while on twitch, never played one of them. Some old skool gems in there to be fair like metal slug, snk and samurai showdown but I've got so many platforms for playing games on, I just never think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you have prime you get a bunch of free stuff. From free games to in game content.

I got Prey recently and it was a code for gog.com so that was nice.

Have got some in game content for playstation games too.

Might be worth a bit more if Luna launches here and they include some cloud games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Don't **** with the Ballas baby! We go out in a blaze! Dopes the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What I hope for: everything they got rid of from UFC 3.

What we’ll actually get: fighters doing TikTok dances.

Yeah, my expectations are in the bin unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Early thoughts on FF7R as an FF virgin. I like the gameplay a lot. I know the original was turn based but this is doing it for me. More specifically, Tifa. I just pick her in every fight. The punches and kicks feel way better than the sword. A game with an expanded, polished moveset like that would be good.

The story and characters; it's aggressively anime but I knew that going in. I don't mind anime in small doses.

Will definitely stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. If the combat is doing it for you, I'd recommend jumping from FF7R to FF16 if you get the itch to continue the franchise. It feels fast paced in the combat as well.

Everybody's Golf is a lovely game.

NoClip doc making of Immortality. They say at the start it's spoiler heavy so I'm not gonna watch it just yet as I want to play it first. Got a new phone so will try the Netflix Android version of it (ugh). Sounds very interesting though so I'd say this will be a good doc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure you could get spoilers for that game? I've played it for hours and still don't know what's going on 🤣

In all seriousness, it is a good game, or experience, and yes, there's a couple of twists, so yeah, it's worth going in blind.

@Retr0gamer(just picked you as in your username retro gamer, so you may have played it) and anyone else did you ever play Rayman 3. I started it a long time ago, like really long ago but I finished Rayman Origins earlier this year and then Rayman legend too so I said I will go back to the Xbox arcade game Rayman 3 HD. Man it is difficult. As in simple things like camera going against you and other simple platforming that should be easy but are difficult. Swing from one thing to another and he doesn't grab on so a simple climb turns out to be an ordeal.

I may fight through it. I looked up the game length and I'd say I'm halfway through it.(I think anyway it's a long time since I last played it. The save said 2015)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rayman 3 is a pretty decent 3D platformer for the time but it's from a time when they hadn't quite got camera controls nailed. Of you can get used to it there's a very good game there.

Rayman games do have a reputation for being a bit difficult.

I have been playing it all night and it is good but pretty difficult. Camera is annoying lack of health pickups and no constant saving like in new games. I just called it a night there as I was pretty far through a level and died and had to start the level from the beginning and to say it was difficult is an understatement.

If you think 3 is bad, the original game is absolutely brutal. One of the most gorgeous 2D games ever but also so insanely tough.

We kind of had a lot of very tough 3D platformers around the time of Rayman 3. Mario sunshine was a contemporary as was Jak and daxter 2 a game I will always say was totally ruined by it's obnoxious difficulty. There's a lot of revisionist history about that game at the moment with naughty dog now being a top tier dev and seemingly being not too difficult to people that are familiar palying the game but going in cold, Jak 2 is **** miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Advertisement