Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'd say the Ulster lock and O'Tiagernaigh are both ahead of O'Connell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’m not sure. I wasn’t really saying he should start the next game. I’m guessing it would be Irvine or him, with Mangan in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its hard to judge the order here. O'Tighearnaigh has 2 starts, O'Connell has 2 starts and a bench appearance and Irvine has 1 start and 2 bench appearances. Hopes has 1 start and one bench.

I think O'Connell seems to be the coaches favorite but there has been a lot of rotation. Hard to know how much is deliberate and how much is pushed by fixture congestion and tiredness.

Theres also the possibility that Mangan would shift back into the second row at some stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think if Mangan is moving it'll be to the bench and only if we get suspended/injured players back. I don't think he makes a first choice XV based on his performances so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be surprised if they didn't change both locks. The team for Fiji was very much selected to rotate front liners and rest the pack with Gleeson the only one who started (and he hadn't started against England due to fitness issues).

Mangan is probably going to feature due to McNabney being suspended but, after that, I think they only question is who starts at prop alongside McCarthy with Foxe having looked quite good at tighthead which allowed McCarthy a really destructive stint at loosehead.

I think the front five that started against Fiji is unlikely to feature again with EOC the only potential option given he started against England. As a unit, they were poor and individually, they were equally error prone. I don't think I can recall a match in recent times where a team were so bloody bad on restarts. Did they secure one? Lifting pods were terrible and even when the jumper managed to position himself under the ball, he fluffed the catch and allowed it straight through his hands. It wasn't much different at line out where we had a fairly horrendous day (and it didn't really improve with the arrival of subs ether).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

When is the team announced? I can't see the team that started v Fiji starting again.

Minus Quinn and McNabney in the back row could be a killer. I reckon Mangan to 7 and Hopes at 6. It's a shame that we aren't fully loaded for this tilt.

It def won’t be the team that started against Fiji. I’d expect as close as possible to team against Australia plus gleeson. EOC or Irvine is a toss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Team is named and Quinn starts at 7, McCarthy is loose head and Irvine starts over O’Connell

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Team for South Africa

• Advertisement

Feel bad for Hadden as he has been really good in the scrum but McCarthy at loosehead has absolutely elite potential. The battle between him, Boyle and Milne should be interesting in years to come.

Foxe getting the start is pretty big for a guy currently without an academy shot.

And… Quinn being back for this one is game changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Strong ‘15’ Team & Great Bench

this will be memorable

Looks like our top players are back for the big one GAME ON BOYS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Big to get Quinn back for this

Delighted with the team. It's still a tough fixture and we were well beaten by these lads last summer. I think we'll win. There's so much mental strenght in this team.

I do worry about the defense out wide. I thought Nicholson and Osborne were hesitant in making tackles?

Where did Barron come from? Is he eligible next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tindjim1990

Osbourne has defending on optional mode, decent in attack but those saffa wingers are fast and strong, winger looks to be our biggest weakness atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Seems strange to be saying that we can take on a South African team up front but I've seen enough from this Irish team to know that we can maul them into submission. Just need Gunne to lead them as a little general and take control instead of allowing prendergast to do it.

Prendergast had looked more Ross Byrne than Johnny Sexton so far. Very little game control from him. I thought Lynch was livelier in his outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Where can we watch this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Usually on Virgin Media

• Advertisement

Prendergast when he came on v Fiji really changed the dynamics of the back line for the better, he’s a very strategic rugby player and seems to be able to find gaps where most can’t. The partnership with Gunne brings out the best in both of them and they run the game very well together. Lynch had huge energy and is a very talented player for sure but Prendergast has the X factor always seems to have lots of time on the ball and gives channels for the rest of the back line to play into with line break opportunities, and those guys can run - Gavin / Devine / McErlean / Osborne / Nicholson- every one of them has speed & power .

What's wrong with Ross Byrne? I doubt anyone will be as good as Johnny.

Lynch will reappear with Connacht, imo. He's a talented player and I think could be good enough to make the academy.

I just thought he shoveled the ball on immediately every time he got hands on it. He did pop a nice inside pass for Osborne but didn't really threaten the defensive line.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

With Prendegast, i’d say two things are true. He hasn’t actually been amazing in the world cup (that could change obv). Also, you can see the traits that could make him a really good player in the future. In this actual tournament though, there have been a number of guys with better performances … so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Is he rumoured to be joining the Connacht academy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

Italy battered us up front a bit also in fairness

• Advertisement

Advertisement