Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

When did BEAM kick in last time....did base prices go to 3.60?

The equivalent now would be 4.60?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

What is your average dairy type whitehead heifer clearing in the Factory today. Say O grade with a fat score of O+ 4= at 260kgs and under 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

5.40 today would be roughly equal to 4.90 last year.

4.90 today is in real terms a 10% reduction on last year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I never saw anywhere that processors promised 6/kg base. Before last Christmas a few promised 5.2 by early March it was there after Christmas. I saw no processor go in print about a price of 6/kg.

At 4.9 Base with 10c HE bonus and QA she would have a gross price of 5.08/kg or 1360 euro. If she was under 24 months and you were in Glanbia/ABP advantage scheme you would get another 50 euro. +/- ever 5c on the base or 5c extra on HE bonus makes a 13 euro to the price.

Slava Ukrainii

There will be no BEAM. Lads just need to cop themselves on and not winter finish cattle from late March to June without a contract

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Inflation has been about 10%, so 4.90 today will not buy what 4.90 would last year.

It's a 10%loss in buying power, 5.40 would be standing still in terms of buying the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

It was believed by many that the only way that cattle prices were going was up with no limits. Why the price falls? There is still the same amount of cattle in the Country. Friesian bullocks were hot property early in the year someone led people to believe that they were worth the prices achieved. The Farmer is always their own worst enemy.

Meal cheaper than it was a year ago. Fert too always going to be inputs going up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Commodities in general have decreased - milk, grain. Any reason to believe beef is any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

4.90 last year was a great price compared to the 4.90 today. Last years cattle were wintered on €25-€30 bales, this years were wintered on €45-€50 bales. Meal was also cheaper last year. Fert has only come down lately, too late to really affect the stock being killed today. So the 4.90 is a much worse price today that a year ago. And as @Danzy is saying, once you get that money and need to buy non-farm everyday essentials like food, clothes etc, the same money won't buy as much as last year as everything is gone up 10% since then.

Any farmer should have reflected some( if that a lot) of last year's costs into there replacement strategy. In 2021 I was costing the finishing costs in my system at 350/ head. Last year I rose that to 450 to reflect extra cost within the system. When I went replacing last year I was allowing 450 as my costs and 250/ head as my expected margin a total of 700 euro.

When I was buying I looked at an animal or bunch of animals estimated there hook price @ a base of 4.6-4.8 subtracted 700 euro and was willing to follow to that price.

While the bales they eat were more expensive last winter, store feed costs went for 85-90c/day to about 1.2/ days over jast winter. My mean turnout day reduced by 3-4 days. First bunch killed 3 weeks earlier than last year. Grass has been better to grow this year compared to last year.

Fertilizer bill will be back by 20-30/ head. Ration bill will probably be back by 20/ head( I expect to have less cattle going into the shed cattle finishing earlier off grass). Bakes silage cost is back by 5-6/ bale ( 18-20/ head next winter). Diesel is back by about 25-30% compared to last year.

All.in all looking at replacement next autumn I will again set my 700 euro target as cost/margin strategy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Priced meal for weanlings in the store, nothing cheaper than €450/ton. Compounds are still over €600/ton too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

over the past couple of years, you’ve argued that high costs fertiliser meal, diesel is good for the farmer.

well you’ve certainly got your wish so at what point does it actually get good for the farmer as I’m certainly still waiting.

now don’t really buy (pardon the pun) that beef is an unforgiving business and we need to mind the pennies but quite a lot of farmers have been minding the pennies for many a year but still farm incomes have been on the floor for years.

And so what. what I’m making for a weeks work is the same as last year Yet everything has gone up.that’s life

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I was just trying to explain the basics of inflation to you as it seemed you didn't know. No need to get snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

What's the price this week for Rathdowney does anyone know?

What's the bonus for Angus?

I was wondering what he was going to say because costs are down this year on last year for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was talking to a man from the Credit Union last week about another loan. It turned into a general chat about farming (he's a part-time calf-to-beef farmer). He was with ACC bank before the Credit Union and he reckoned the beef man is always and ever a thousand euro above or below the line in their tax return.

I'm guessing that's down to the accountant to some extent, but that was his take on beef after seeing lots of accounts and balance sheets over the years.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

For me last year and the year before were better years than average for my system. This year is looking good as well.

You have sucklers. Your system is incompatible with decent profitability. The quite simple reason is that half the animals you keep are costing you with little or no return from them.

On 100 acres what amount of suckler cows will you keep and finish there progeny. 38ish even to do that the heifers and bullock's have to be finished at 20-24 months out of a shed and shed cattle cost money. Some may finish earlier off grass but you compromise on carcase weight.

After a dairy calf gets to 10-12 weeks of age cost of production decreases sharply. From that to the finishing period the average variable cost per day will be in the region of 60-80c/ day maybe even lower.

You can probably keep 1.6-1.9 units of them where you keep a suckler unit depending on you system.

On output allowing for losses and cows not getting in calf, calf losses etc out of 38 will you have 36-37 calves on average each year. Assuming an average price of 1800/ head it gives a turnover if 66k.

On a calf to beef system depending system slaughtering traditional breeds at the end of the second grazing season to shed finishing bullocks to turning out friesians after second winter turnover will be 110-120k. Most of that if not all of that money that money remains in the beef system.

Recently a suckler farmer's son told me that (60 cow operation on 150 ISH acres) that there meal bill last winter was 25k. They finish all makes as bulls. Even if you allow for increased output of bulls take 25k from the top line ( or 2/3 of it for a 35-40 cow unit) it a significant input spend.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

The key to any beef system is cheap weight gain from grass. Quality grass (hard to achieve) will get 1 kg/day on yearlings upwards. Meal needed at finishing stage. Sucklers well done or calf to beef well done will generate similar margins - €500+/ha net excl. cheques in the post. Again good performance at grass is key. If you are not serious about grass then lucky if you don’t end up with a negative before getting the cheques in the post. Trading enterprises can also perform well with grass again crucial.

I got 4.85 off Larry this morning...

I think Rathdowney was giving 4.85 for bullocks...4.90 for heifers...

More made up figures from the ICSA.

No one was paying 4.95 for bullocks this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What the score for the coming week??

guessing another 5 cent drop!!

Cows o/p were back to E3.90 lasr week

Cattle supply getting tighter. Processors slaughtering cattle within 2-3 days of trying to book. It was two weeks to book a month ago.

I be digging in from now on. 4.8 of a base is a line in the sand and I be trying to get 4.85/4.9 in 10 days time.

Remember however to keep cattle moving especially if feeding on grass. The bigger animal is eating 50-70% more than the average

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

The big issue ATM seems to be Australian beef in the UK. Going forward it's not good with this trade agreement. The Australians can really undermine Irish beef let alone British.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Trying to get it and getting it are two very different things

The supermarkets have instructed the factories to reduce the price of beef or volume will dilute. Factories say gives us a few weeks and we will be buying at 4.50 for prime. The factory margin is maintained all the time as contracts are negotiated on the AHDB. This benchmark ensures processors don't loose. As regards the supermarkets its lotto numbers. I saw this week a major super market reduce prime steak by 33% which was now selling at 13e per kg. I know its a prime cut but it's some profit when Joe farmer can't get 5e per kg on the carcass never mind the offal.

Take an AA Bullock O+330 kgs dw @ a base of 5/ kg with QA and AA bonus he will make a out 1730. The vat rebale means he is costing the processors 1640 euro.

The 5th quarter is supposed to be worth 150+ euro that bring the meat part down to less than 1500 euro. At 72% cut out it means that the meat is costing 6.2/kg. No AA mince and burgers etc are retailing at 9/kg and all the rest of the cuts are above that. AA beef is retailing above that again.

Non premium beef ( other than AA and Hereford) and with the base at 4.8 the ordinary beef is costing them around 5.5/ kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Where supermarket A has an 'offer' supermarket B cries to the factory and demands an 'offer' so they can get a third off in their adverts too. I'm not painting the processors as saints before the avalanche.

Advertisement