Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

No change of route for you, straight through the tunnel and onto the N8, you'll just have no lights to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

No change other than it'll have less traffic lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I've seen you repeating it from the start.

Getting from N8 to Tunnel is going to be faster, given it's free flow. That route has gained the time to stop at 2 sets of lights on the roundabout.

Getting from N8 to Silversprings is going to be the same time before and after IMO. You've an extra 800m of driving, go through 2 small roundabouts that will have minimal traffic, rather than going through 3 sets of lights that used to exist via the roundabout.

The only reason the N8 is less attractive is because they've sped up the Tunnel route. Nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

For traffic going on from N40 to either N25/M8, the only change is the lights will be removed - it's described at the end of the Drone Hawk video posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Seemingly one set of lights will remain. They are where the tunnel traffic currently goes under the N25.

The lights there will remain off during peak hours and will only go red in off peak hours to facilitate worker access to site areas.

Very minimal disruption I would think.

• Advertisement

Yep, we will be able to check it quite easily in a few months via Google Maps. Anyway it doesn't really matter because the alternative construction at Dunkettle interchange would be hideously expensive. I just reckon they need more traffic calming on R639, R615 and R616 that's all. I reckon they need it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've watched all of the latest videos and I reckon the most confused are going to be the people who haven't been keeping up to date and who try and travel from the N25 to the M8. A lot of them are going to ignore all of the signage and aim for the soon to be ex-roundabout and find themselves going through the tunnel.

Anyone know how long that temporary route via the Tivoli roundabout will be in place for for that traffic? The email yesterday said October 2024 but surely that was a typo.

End of 2023. They need to complete the embankment south of the present roundabout and complete the last bridge over the rail line north of the roundabout.

100% agree with you by the way. People will vent their anger on Facebook claiming they were informed if the N25 to M8 north diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scooby Reggie do

I was wondering why those lights were staying

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And it'll get no less funny for each time we see someone giving out about it.

Feel sorry for the workers with this weather to be starting 24 hour working, absolutely miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Also traffic coming from the M8 looking to go to the N8 who are unaware and don't look at the signs will also find themselves going through the tunnel. So basically from 8pm tonight lots of people are going to be enjoying trips through the tunnel that they hadn't penciled in!

Tomorrow morning should be especially fun. There'll be some amount of people on the Mahon flyover looking to reverse course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

OpenStreetMap blows my mind. It's less than an hour since those two links were permanently closed this evening, and the map is already updated!

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

M8-South to City has always been shorter via Glanmire, but that only translates to quicker if you drive at extremely quiet times. This new junction layout will add 1.0 km to the "M8-N8" option, but in exchange, there will be no traffic lights. At a 60 km/h speed limit, I imagine the average minute saved by not waiting at lights cancels out the extra 1 km you have to drive.

But: the biggest delay to City-bound traffic at Dunkettle was from having to queue up at traffic lights with the larger volume of cars that were going to take the tunnel. The new junction layout should dramatically reduce those queues simply by streaming Tunnel and City traffic onto their own free-flowing lanes. Overall, I suspect that the time from the M8 Glanmire Junction (J18) to N8 at Tivoli will reduce, in spite of the extra 1 km added to the journey.

Glanmire will still be a shorter distance, but I think the time advantage will be with Dunkettle. So, the new junction is unlikely to tempt anyone to go via Glanmire instead, and it might even persuade a few morning and evening rat-runners to stay on M8.

Team are starting to surface Link B. First work on this link in months outside of some landscaping work a few weeks ago.

I hope you're right and that I'm wrong, that the rat running will become less attractive: that would be the best for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Complete chaos today due to a fire on the mahon side of the tunnel (heading south).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Another post by dronehawk, people really can be stupid sometimes!

Hopefully the car which moved the cones gets reported to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m flabbergasted!! WTH is wrong with people??!!

• Advertisement

Wish the digger unloaded a pile of earth behind them and trapped them in. Also, no doubt if they did get hurt, a large compo claim would have gone in. Hopefully a hefty fine and some points on the licence will give them thought again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

THICK IDIOTS 🙄😂🤣

"I can go anywhere I want in my car"

Honestly, these antics don't shock me at all. We genuinely have a car culture problem. I'm surprised they didn't deliberately crash through the barriers at the end and make their way onto the unfinished piece of road tbh.

It's been so long this must be what it's like waiting for santa....only took 101 pages. Didn't feel like it'd get here when it went to re-tender.

Can see cars driving the new loop into tunnel from city now - exciting lol

Ah I'd been looking around that time but didn't see any cars that way. Can't see if the dumbell/n25w way is open

Looks like it is N25 traffic taking the left lane and M8 and loop traffic taking the right lane entering the tunnel?

All open! :-)

Time to go.for a drive I think

• Advertisement

Hope that additional webcams will be put up. I think 2 additional cameras will be needed around the dumbbell at a minimum.

Weird to think the roundabout is now gone.

Advertisement