Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Fair enough.... 12 months is a long time ago.... Cant see Concannon, Fahy, Glennon, Niland or Kevin Cooney scoring 1-3 or 1-4 if Whelan is kept quiet and certainly cant see us keeping Limerick below 26 points

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

So far this year cian lynch has been the least mobile man on the limerick team..hasn't seemed right at all..unless the 4 weeks has done a lot for him I'd be inclined to trust mcinerney on him..having said that I'd.say Henry will leave 3 and 6 as they were all year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/gaa-team-news-hegarty-named-at-wing-back-in-limerick-reshuffle-cleary-mcinerney-and-conlon-back-for-banner-as-reid-and-mullen-return-for-cats/a1125871876.html

GAA team news – Hegarty named at wing-back in Limerick reshuffle, Cleary, McInerney and Conlon back for Banner as Reid and Mullen return for Cats

No mention of Galway at all. Merely an afterthought with the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd have my doubts Lynch will start at centre back. I'd say they'll shift Dan Morrissey up to centre-back and maybe bring Richie English off the bench for either Lynch or Reidy. Then you could pop Casey in fullback.

Who knows what cian lynch will turn up. If he’s on top form we’re beat up a stick. Injuries and lack of game time might take a bit of the gloss of him, only a small bit mind. Morrisey and o donohue at 9 and 12 are the biggest limerick threat, both have been impressive this season getting them over the line in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Least mobile yes, but he still has the turn to leave Mcinerney in serious bother. All he needs to a quick jink left or right.

I think Limerick ruined him. They bulked him up way too much and his small frame couldn't handle it. He's going to be destroyed with injury for the remainder of his career unless he slims down. You can be powerful and lean, no need to carry that bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Nonsense he's athletic hardly a bodybuilder and any bulking was his own work! 5 11 just over 13 stone he's had one very serious hamstring injury and he in my opinion came back prematurely last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Jesus Christ, 30 mins playing the way we should be playing all year. Low ball, half forwards withdrawn creating space and then Henry reverts to type. Long ball lumped in, Murphy hitting puckouts to the invisible man with 3 wide open short options right in front of him. And a 5 point lead pìssed away.

Time to get rid of the auld stagers. Thanks for the memories but we’re in the doldrums for a long while yet.

• Advertisement

Time to get rid of Henry. The lad is completely out of his depth.

1 all Ireland since 88....countless underage titles definitely all on Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

……

If you can't see the difference between the way we played in the first half, which I advocated all year, and the way we played from 30mins on then you know as much about it as Henry.

What manager would let his goalie hit ball relentlessly to an area of the pitch that you were outnumbered and had a clear physical disadvantage.

Great player. Clueless manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

How much money is Henry on a year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

It's hard to see a Galway team playing on a consistent level. That's the reason they haven't won more All Irelands. Plenty capable of winning all Irelands but just never do it when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Well Galways problem back in the day, is that they would kick out a manager if he didn't win an all Ireland within two years. Henry Shefflin was a great player, but great players dont neccesarily mean they will be great managers, although they are exceptions to the rule. Personally myself i think there's more than enough good people in Galway to do the job.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I assume he is getting paid well to do the job and to be honest there are plenty of ex Galway players or managers that I think would do a better job.

They've beaten us in our last five championship meetings though! Galway have produced some fine hurlers over the years, i think their club teams have won more All Irelands than anyone else as well. It's either that or they are level with Kilkenny.

A big part of Galway problems over the years, is that club rivalries would be brought into the intercounty team set up. You'd have Gort fellas not getting on with the Athenry lads etc. I presume that sort of thing is less of a problem now though.

We have a self destruct button, that runs right through from administration to players. We get a manager who finally gets us over the line and we don't back him. We consistently don't nurture the talent we develop from underage. We ignore players that aren't from the traditionally strong football or hurling clubs. That's especially prevalent in hurling.

We have probably two of the strongest club scenes in football and hurling but when it goes beyond the club the whole thing falls apart. Vested interests, lads looking after their own, no long term vision or strategy and a history of bringing on outside (hurling) managers hoping they'll be the one.

The reality is, we've only ever won all irelands with home grown managers in hurling. And trying to shoe horn a kilkenny style on to a group of players who were obviously not suited to play that way was never going to work. No matter how long he persists with it.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Henry how many warhorses need to look at themselves in the cold light of day and realise they mileage is gone too high. Diaihti and ger will do a job in Leinster but from knock out not up to it. Cooney inconsistent, Flynn never kicked on. As was said about underage success who if any made the jump from the minor team of 2017?

I agree the 2 halves were completely different ..don't see how its all on Henry though

I always thought managers job is to prepare a team for a game and once ball is thrown in its up to the lads on the field..

Kiely basically said he left them at it and they figured it out themselves

Galway Puckouts were shocking in the 2nd half

Because right in the middle of dominating a game and being 5pts up he decided to change things and go back to the usual bullshìt he's served up the last two years. You literally saw him on TV telling them to go to 1 FF right after scoring a goal.

It's not like it's just today either. Have a look at my posts here for the last 12 months and I've consistently pointed out Shefflins shortcomings. I said exactly what he was about and that he couldn't change as he can't believe that you don't just win all irelands once you play like KK. Failing to see that he has no TJ, no Fennelly, no Walter to compete for the ball he insisted we played.

The goalie is also on him. Murphy is obviously under instruction to hit that ball. If I told my goalie not to hit that ball and defied me more than once I'd whip him off. But Murphy hits it 20 times a game. I cant believe anyone can not see how it's Shefflins blueprint and its terrible. Hopefully he does the decent thing and steps down.

Joe Canning said on the analysis that he would like Shefflin to stay on. I was puzzled why he wanted that. Has Shefflin brought Galway on from the previous manager, Im not sure if he has to be honest.

The end of the road gor a few of this team and a full reset required....possibly a 3-5 year plan....be ready when this Limerick team are at the end of its race.

Because we sure as he'll are not going to see an all ireland appearance in the next few years. We are 4/5 best in the country and a poor one at that

We need to face up to the reality that we are an average team ...like it or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Kiely did in his bollicks....he's as useful tactically as we are. Kinnerk is the brains, he's the last man giving instructions to every sub coming on and Limerick were set up differently after half time. I'm not sure but I think they pulled men back to crowd our forwards out. Bit like the 2015 final.

Yet we pucked about fifteen puckouts on top of them. Half of them inaccurate too.

Tactically we were found out.

The plan was good at the start. But like Stephen Kenny, we're limited tactically when it comes to in-game changes.

Jeffrey Lynskey the man who was manager for some of those minor all Irelands wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Daithi has had a fine campaign generally. Ger (McInerney?) is long past his best and has made a lot of mistakes all season. Definitely change need there. This evening brought home the management's failure to pick a settled midfield and HF line all year. When playing the biggest games you need to know probably 14 out of 15 players each time. They have been chopping and changing players in these lines all year without allowing any combination to bed in.

A fair rebuild is needed now, the players are there. Don't get too wrapped up in a lack of U20 success, Fitzgibbon is nearly as reliable a breeding ground for talent. Mgmt need to throw a lot more of the younger crew in at the deep end a-la Cyril in 1985.

Advertisement