Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I’m not disputing the laws of physics :) what you say is correct. But only if you’re heating the water with 100% efficiency with something like an immersion.

Combi Gas boilers have efficiency curves; they will have reduced efficiency as your flow temp rises.

And if your storing water at 60C vs 40C in a tank it’s going to loose more energy as the difference in temp between the 60C water and the ambient room temperature is greater than the difference between the 40C water and the ambient temp. So depending on how your system is configured your boiler will be firing more often to keep the tank at 60C than it would to keep the same volume of water at 40C.

Or if you’re using a fixed time strategy; your tank of 60C water will be closer to 50C or lowerby the time you go to use it; Vs your tank of 40C water might only drop to 37C.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

To be fair it looks quite different from the Flat 10 tile that is currently available. If you had some breakage I wouldn't be 100% confident of a newly bought replacement tile sitting properly with your ones or even know where to start looking for one in stock. If I was you before leaving anyone on the roof I'd contact Tejas Borja to find out who stocks them in Ireland if anyone and if the new tiles will fit properly with your old tiles. Would be good to have a few spares at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

I think that poster said they had plenty of spare ones if needed. Post #5231

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

There's no tank with direct HW from a combi, hence your original idea to lower the flow temperature is generally OK as legionella is not an issue. I was supporting your temperature suggestion as there was no risk of legionella.

If use a combi to supply a cylinder or tank, that defeats the purpose of DHW. 100% efficiency from an electric immersion is a contradiction in terms, as this requires a tank, and the losses you descibe for higher, or any temperature tank storage. DHW is straight to the tap, and DHW heat exchange is extremely efficient, in the mid 90s percentage wise.

Modern highly insulated and double enclosed tanks have very low losses, unlike in the old days of bare copper tanks and lagging jackets, and if you must have a cylinder, it's one of the best return on investment upgrades you can make. No-one on the continent uses HW cylinders, its a peculiarly Irish and UK thing.

• Advertisement

I understand the differences I was just putting forward the the tank angle on it...

I have a few friends with combi setups, and the silly thing is they turn on the hot tap to wash their hands, the boiler fires up and starts generating hot water, heating the pipes, still cold water coming out of the tap.... Finished washing hands, turn off the tap, no hot water actually came out of the tap, and they burned some gas for nothing.

I suppose the same could be said for me storing a tank of 40C water, its loosing energy when I'm not using it. We are way off topic... Let's move on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just popping in to thank everyone for their guidance here and in other threads.

"Thunderbirds are Go" at the Fingleberries household. Just went live today.

A 2.1 kWp system (5x420W panels), South-facing (North Dublin area), 6.6kWh battery (6kWh usable).

Now, is there a 12-step programme to wean me off watching the PV graphs all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

This happens in my house. I'm blue int the face telling people to either wait for the hot, or just use the cold tap. I've become such a grumpy old man.

I actually swapped my kitchen taps sides because the hot tap was easier to reach so everybody used it to just turn on a splash of water. Now people default to cold tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shadow88

Hi all, just looking for some advice as completely new to the solar pb world. Have just got a quote for 19 x 420 Jinko panels, 5kw huawei battery, optimisers and eddi for €15,850 after grant. Still waiting on a couple more quotes but wondering if this is reasonable or not? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Firstly this appears to be expensive. You'll have an 8kW array with that many panels. Do you know the size of the inverter? If it's over 5kW then you're unlikely to be able to export power to the grid and in turn benefit from the feed in tariff. Without that benefit the pay back period will be elongated.

Look back at previous quotes posted on this thread to get an idea of what the market is like.

P.S. I'm doing DIY. My 8kW ground mount array, 5kW hybrid solis inverter, 4.8kWh battery and all the cables, DIY ground mount etc. plus the sparky to commission will cost me roughly €6k. Bear in mind this is me doing all the setting up of kit with the electrician coming to do the easy part. An SEAI supplier probably has similar costs plus the install labour they need but as you can see there's a fair gap between my €6k and your €15.8k quote AFTER grant!

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shadow88

Thanks, the inverter is 5kw. Our annual usage is v high, roughly 15,000kw (electric underfloor heating!)

The inverter will 'clip' the output to the home and grid, so you'll never achieve the max output of the panels to the grid, however,the inverter may be able to divert excess to a battery, and the inverters rated max to the Home and grid. Regardless of this, in poorer light the panels will continue to output to the max for longer, extending the effectiveness of the system in winter and in morning/evening light. Care must be taken that terminal voltage of a series of panels doesn't exceed the inverter string input. This article explains the tech. https://energyd.ie/dc-over-sizing-pv-solar-in-ireland/

I think it's the model of inverter that has to be approved for FIT, so ESBN know it can't deliver too much to the grid. The 5kw Huawei would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The one problem with solar when it comes to heating it's not generating enough at the time of year you want heat so be aware of that if your purpose is to reduce heating costs.

Below is an example of my first 6 months of this year and last year. Its a 7.2kWh system with 10kWh of battery storage but use gas to heat the house.

Holy sh*t batman, if even only 10,000 of those units were for the eUFH, thats mostly daytime/peak rate, 42+cent/kwh, or €4200. That's 5 by 1000l fills of Kerosene. Worse, it's mostly winter usage, averaged over 6 months it's 54kwh/day, which your system will never produce in the depths of winter, and you've quarter as much again to supply daily if the other 5000kwh is all year domestic demand The only thing it has going for it is the thermal storage of UFH give you a small window to morning heat at the last hour of night rate. The 5kwh battery will cover the UFH for 15 minutes depending on the rating of the entire system. Think about it. If the available radiant sunshine in winter can't heat your home, then trapping a bit of it on panels is not going to either.

Was that something that you installed? Something you’ve done recently? Can I ask why? That’s a lot of electricity.

Probably on the advice of an eco warrior/tyre deflator. Speaking of which;

😷

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

True although clipping in shadows case is the least of their issues as pointed out by deezell.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

I see lots of posts referring to http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ ... are there any companies that actually come close to these guides? I have received several quotes but all are too expensive if you go off of this guidance

• Advertisement

I prefer to use this tool, parts estimate down to the last bolt. Subtract from quotes, add €2400 for grant and decide if the installation cost is worth the amount, especially if they're in and out in a day.

Installers will have a further discount off these prices, anywhere from 10% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi there,

Id really appreciate advice on quote below. This is tge cheapest i can find and thinking of going with it. Any advice appreciated:

total cost after grant 5,000 euro

7 Jinko N-Type Panels @430w (3.01kw)

Huawei Inverter + Dongle

Eddi (Hot Water Diverter)

Brackets, rails, cabling

Labour

New BER Issued

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

3kWp is pretty small. I'd suggest get the largest you can afford and roof can take.

Labour is a huge % of the cost but they can add more panels quickly when already on the roof. So more expensive to add more in time (unless you go DIY on a shed say).

I've a 5kWp system but would go larger if roof could take more. Houses will move to more electric in the future (plus EVs). I charge our EV for free for many months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Got 3 quotes, getting a few queries answered bythe vendors before making the decision this Friday.

Quote 1

24 x Phono Solar 420W N-Topcon All Black Bi Facial Panels

Sungrow SH5.0RS Hybrid Inverter

6.4KW Sungrow Battery

15060 after Grant

Quote 2

24 x Phono Solar 420W N-Topcon All Black Bi Facial Panels

Huawei SUN2000 5KW Hybrid Inverter

5KW Huawei LUNA2000 Battery

24 Huawei Smart Optimisers

16796 after Grant

Quote 3

28 x 410W Kingdom Solar KD-M410 Mono Panels

Sungrow SH5.0RS Hybrid Inverter

6.4KW Sungrow Battery

16500 after grant.

No quotes include a BER.

The calculator says either go for it or get more quotes, and simply adding or subtracting as little as 400watts from a quote can change between the 2 responses without tweeking the cost. Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. My preference is the Sungrow as thats the inverter I specifically requested due to its oversize capacity and built in blackout cover. Little uncertain about the panels as I spent most of my time researching the inverters.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi, looking to get a system installed and would appreciate opinions on the quotes below. I know that they're not strictly like for like. Also house is new so no grant, just 0% VAT. None of the companies that have quoted have offered anything higher than a 400W panel. Who in north dublin area does the likes of 430W Jinko panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just really what do you want?. You have run the quotes through the best minds on the thread, who are basing everything on the average/usual/normal but you are throwing in your own personal opinions and complaining that the answer is not what you want. Really?, is that how you think it works?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Did you enjoy your rant?

1. I asked for some advice reference panels as I had spent most of my time researching inverters.
    2. I got great advice a couple of months ago from 1 person on here when I started looking at solar, and his advice informed my choices when I was specifying what I wanted.
    3. I've simply pointed out that the calculator has some deficiencies, and by simply adding 400watts to the quote without changing the cost it went from "get more quotes" to "go for it", some 400watt panels cost roughly 200euro.
    4. I know how it works, thats why I asked for feedback from people in the know about the panels, I never once asked for an opinion based on the cost.

That calculator is no chatgpt, it's very simple. It multiples your kw request by €1000, adds 300 for BER. €600 for Eddie, €520/kw for battery, knocks off the kwh related grant if applicable, capped at €2400, and compares that total to your actual quote. If your quote is close or less (or if you leave the field blank, effectively 0), it rates it as worth going for, otherwise get more quotes. I haven't tested its table of responses, but it's a just a rule of thumb calculator, in a nice little script. It's the same mental arithmetic a roving roof and driveway pressure cleaning operator uses when he rocks up to your door.

It does prove though that installers are using a figure far higher than €1000/kw (about €400/panel) to calculate their quotes, and are generally trousering the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I think the best way to look at the website or manually computing the figure yourself is that it's just a guideline. If you are paying more than the guideline, that's ok if it's within 10% or so. Personally I wouldn't mind paying a little over the odds if the comms/dealing with the supplier wasn't a chore and they had a good rep in the marketplace.

Naturally we all want to beat that guideline, but it's also worth pointing out that (typically) installation costs and prices charged isn't linear. What i mean by that is that there is a lot of "fixed cost" involved with a solar install outside of the actual equipment. It costs money to get 2 guys out on the roof. If they are putting up 10 panels or 12 panels, it costs roughly the same for the guys time to drive there etc. ..... leaving aside the cost of the panels.

This means that the forumula/website will tend to be easier to beat with 8-9Kpw in panels than it is with say 5Kwp in panels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement