Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No, it was a farmer. It was a 7 km tailback. It was an extreme example. It wasnt their first rodeo, and they'd been warned. They were going under 20kph towing a silage equipment, making it difficult for traffic in both directions

A group of 12 cyclists is the equivalent of 3-4 cars. They could have stayed ahead for hours, and not been in any legal trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭apogee87

They weren't though. That's your opinion, but it's wrong. You'd be told to piss off if you made a complaint about it and stop wasting time.

We can flip it. I'm obstructed by motoriser vehicles on a daily basis around Dublin because I'm faster in urban traffic, but they're not causing an obstruction.

Go faniliarise yourself with the road traffic act before you ever drive again and do everyone a favour. Don't rely on extreme court case examples and think people are mugs

I did not say what it is entitled to, what i said was that the mas space bicycle(s) can take up is half of the space available road width.

Its an interesting topic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is your opinion and not something based on reality! Plus you've already confirmed to us that your car takes up more than 50% of the width of that road!

You are just creating your own facts. There is nothing in law about 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Nope. You asked "Is a bicycle entitled to have more space than a say truck?", I answered your question - a cyclist is entitled to the exact same lane space as a say truck.

You also statedthate you were aware of a there was a "court precident" that "Each motorised vechicle is entitled to have half of the available road space" - but you've yet to produce it, despite requests from multiple different posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Look, I know you're not going to suddenly do a 180° and post an acknowledgement that you have got this completely backwards but, please, take a moment to absorb what has been written over the last couple of pages and understand that your interpretation of the motoring laws is seriously mistaken and that this could have very real impacts on vulnerable road users if you put it into practice.

It might also be worth considering that, if there was actually any substance to your arguments, the usual suspects would be leaping at the chance to support you and have a pop at 'entitled cyclists'. The fact that they have all been silent instead should tell you something.

sure you may be able to give us the link, i like to know things.

the fact that all of you cannot show me anhy evidence that i am wrong tells me that there is a problem, also when people get abjusive in discussions tells me lots.

Sleep well.

• Advertisement

Where's this case? I can point you to omahony versus motor insurance bureau from 05 which cites that bicycles will wobble and drivers can't expect them to stay perfectly straight hence the need for proper overtaking space

Edit..it's ogorman not O'Mahony

Post edited by Weepsie on

i am talking about safety what the thread is about, i am assuming the same rujles apply to bicycles as motor vehicles on our roads.

The court is 20 years ago before we had a bicycle craze in Ireland (which i agree with as i cycle abit) where would i get that info. I agree with your bicycle/truck even though it doesn't really make sense.

This is what the case i mention was based on, that the car was entitled to half of the available road space and the jujdge agreed.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You have mentioned this. precedent a few times now and people are non the wiser as to what you're referring to, so, post a news article or legal judgement or something similar on this or don't post the claim again.

Do not respond directly to this message other than to providing evidence of the precedent.

Just a reminded that I'm handing out infraction like confetti to anybody trolling or bring abusive etc and that applies to both sides.

Sorry to say that if you're abusive to trolls, you'll get it too even if I might agree personally with the sentiment.

i like to know things.

I would confidently dispute that claim!

The court is 20 years ago before we had a bicycle craze in Ireland (which i agree with as i cycle abit) where would i get that info. I agree with your bicycle/truck even though it doesn't really make sense.

You claim to cycle yet describe a craze. Honestly, these are the hallmarks of the bullshitters who know everything best for people who cycle but in reality know nothing!

As for it not making sense, if you actually cycled, you would understand how it makes absolutely perfect sense. It is for safety reasons for a clear and obvious purpose. If you have ever been close passed, you will know the fear instilled because of the recklessness of someone who sees your life as worth less than their opportunity to get to a red traffic light one second quicker.

Your posts here today clearly show that your understanding of driving safely is a vacuum. You've passed a group of cyclists while admitting there was not enough space. You then proceed to tell us how you think think they were the ones behaving dangerously and should be banned from some roads. You really need a reality check. You really make it sound like your licence should be ripped up! Or else you're simply trolling - surely it is one or the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

But is that not the same attitude rampant among sectors of the cycling community, in particular, it seems to raise it's head often enough on the s2s cycle route with reports of cyclists intimidating pedestrians and other cyclists to 'GET OUT OF THE WAY'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No the motorised traffic would not normally be causing an obstruction ( unless they were blocking a mandatory cycle lane ) as you are allowed to pass/filter on either side

I have had the close passes and am well aware of what yoi are saying which is the sole reason i am on this thread. People cycling two abreast on unsuitable roads are endangering themselves, read the heading of this thread and it asks what cyclists can do for their own safety. i am giving my views based on an actual event.`

I got warned for having an opinion.

@apogee87 People cycling two abreast on unsuitable roads are endangering themselves

You've repeated this claim multiple times, and been asked to clarify why you think this is dangerous, but we're still none the wiser.

What is the specific danger that arises? And how does switching from riding two abreast to riding single file ameliorate this danger?

Do you think it is possible to safely pass a group of bicycles riding two abreast on a road 3 metres wide?

You've already agreed that it was unsafe to pass then in single file yet were happy for the person driving your car to do it (and then come on here posting nonsense about the cyclists)

• Advertisement

Still declining to answer the question, I see.

Passing anything on a 3m wide road; whether it's people on bikes (either single file or two abreast), a tractor, people on horses, people walking etc.; requires slowing down, evaluating the road ahead, and waiting for a straight section if you can't see far enough ahead to be sure you can complete the overtaking manoeuvre without finding yourself on the wrong side of the road facing an oncoming vehicle.

So I don't see the specific danger you are attributing to riding two abreast unless that danger comes from:

a) drivers wanting to travel narrow roads at a speed that does not allow them to stop safely if they come up behind another road user, which is illegal.

b) drivers want to overtake any 'obstruction' (your word to describe fellow road users) as soon as they encounter them, without taking the time to do a safe overtaking manoeuvre, which is also illegal.

Third request, what specifically is the danger you see from riding two abreast that could be ameliorated by riding single file?

I've explained in detail further up this thread why my many decades of experience both driving and cycling lead me to conclude that riding in primary position when alone, or two abreast when in a group, can be safer in many road situations. Please show the courtesy of explaining how and why you disagree if you're going to keep parroting this statement about cyclists endangering themselves.

Do you think the car should have turned around?

What i said from the outset of this conversation is in my opinion this road is unsuitably for a group of bicycles so we agree on that so why are they on it if it is unsafe. I am not talking nonsense this thread is about cyclists personal safety. I am well fimaliar with cyclists and a group passed here 20 mins ago, the road is wider so two abreast is fine. I did obtain some useful knowledge i did not know.

Having spent much of my life living very close to it, and having walked and cycled it many many times, not once have i heard or seen intimidation of anyone. Now maybe it has happened and the reports you heard weren't made up but as they say "one swallow doesn't make a summer". To say that it is rampant is (as you know) nonsense which you're using to excuse the dangerous behaviour that actually.is rampant on our roads (speeding, phone usage, etc.)

Do you think the car should have turned around?

What? Why? You told us that the car passed the group (from behind). Are you now trying tontellnus that the cyclists were oncoming?

its clear to me from some of the replies here that some cyclists are a danger to themselves, thanks for all he helpful info..

That's not always possible or safe, so yes they are an obstruction, at least as much as any cyclist is in this stupid imagined scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just assume that then and stay well back and take the 30 second delay to your important errands on the chin next time so.

I don't need advise but some cyclists does and also some people on here. I will toot as i found out here that the cyclists need to obey rules as well.

Its a pity i didnt take a pic/video clip as it may never happen again.

• Advertisement

For the record:

Discussion moderation is not allowed in-thread and this poster was already warned for such.

They also were never given a warning for having an opinion, they were warned for claiming something was a fact repeatedly without backing it up.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

There seems to be a concerted effort by some people to get this thread closed. It likely will be closed again. In the meanwhile, some of you really need to unsubscribe and get over it. If you don't like cycling, go for a walk or even a drive or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was driving into town a few months ago at night. Dark and raining and I was faced with 2 guys on the same bike cycling towards me with not a light, reflector or bright set of clothes to be seen. Only the house light on the country road caught them I wouldn't have seen them, hit them and it would have been my fault for not being able to see a dark object in the darkness . Absolute lunacy .

16 = Number of times @apogee87 demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the rules of the road and motor traffic laws.

6 = Number of times @apogee87 responded with a schoolyard taunt rather than trying to address points raised.

5 = Number of claims by @apogee87 that people on bikes shouldn't be cycling two abreast or that they were putting themselves in danger by doing so.

4 = Number of times @apogee87 responded to requests to clarify the source of this danger either with clumsy attempts at changing the subject or just not responded at all.

CONCLUSIONS:

1) @apogee87 does not have any valid reason for believing people on bikes are putting themselves in danger by riding 2 abreast but is sore that it physically impedes him from driving illegally, and putting other road users at risk, just to make his journey time a few seconds shorter.

2) @apogee87 has no interest in actually understanding his legal obligations on the roads we have to share with him, only on distorting misunderstood half-facts to convince himself that being behind the wheel of a car somehow gives him priority over 'lesser' road users.

3) there is no point in engaging further as you might as well be trying to explain the finer points of particle physics to a 3 year old.

EDITED to correct typo

Post edited by Unrealistic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was cycling into Dublin last week. It was 7:45am.. it was bright and sunny. An 11 reg Audi approached me from behind and even though there was no oncoming traffic, he proceeded to pass me within millimetres of my right elbow!

I was wearing a white helmet, red Jacket, black shorts and white shoes.

I have no doubt that if he had hit me, i would have been at fault because I was not wearing a hi- viz jacket! Absolute lunacy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭SeanW

There's a difference between being at fault if you don't do something, and it just being a good idea. For example, my car predates the EU rules on Daytime Running Lights. Therefore, I am under no legal obligation to have running lights during the daytime (beyond brake, reversing and indicator lights). However, I usually turn on my low-beams, especially during inclement weather, even though there absolutely no law requiring me to do this. Why? Because it's a good idea.

And as a motorist, I certainly would be blamed if I were in an accident caused by not having legally required lights, e.g. non-functional lights at night time.

• Advertisement

Cyclists are blamed for things that are not a legal requirement all the time and, similarly, cyclists are claimed to be breaking the law when they aren't (that's not to say that cyclists don't break the law).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did raise my eyebrows at seeing a family on an e-bike on clare island - both parents and two kids - on one bike.

then again, none of the cars on clare island seem to be taxed, NCTed or insured.

Going back to the part of the discussion about cyclists wearing dark clothes, an evaluation of stats in Scotland has shown.

The data, collated by Cycling Scotland, shows that 54 cyclists were killed and a further 1,836 seriously injured in road collisions throughout Scotland between 2015 and 2021.

Analysing the “contributory factors” assigned by Police Scotland to all collisions, Cycling Scotland found that over 70 percent of crashes involving motorists and cyclists were the fault of the driver. For both drivers and cyclists, the most common cause of a collision is a failure to look – though of the 512 “failure to look” incidents, 374 were assigned to the motorist.

“Aggressive driving” and “vehicle door opened or closed negligently” were also in the top 10 reasons for collisions, Cycling Scotland found.

However, in the incidents where the cyclist was deemed to be at fault, “wearing dark clothing at night” was assigned to only 19 collisions between 2015 and 2021, the ninth most common cause of crashes where the cyclist was at fault.

So dark clothing was assigned to about 1% of the incidents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

Island vehicles are exempt from NCT and are 100 euro to tax, but yeah you rarely see even that being paid.

"Exemptions from NCT,Cars permanently based on islands that are not connected to the mainland by road do not have to be tested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

From what I saw, most of the cars there were clear NCT failures. Handy way of dealers or people on the mainland to get rid of cars which would be too expensive to fix after failing the NCT.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement