Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

All of Ireland was in the union. If Ireland cant leave the union as one unitary jurisdiction why should Scotland.

You say it is laughable that Ireland is out of the union in one unitary state. Do you think that scots who are pushing for independence are laughable for wanting this. Are we going to have to invent new boundary lines for Scotland and make it fedral?

Also by your crusty logic if NI was to vote to leave the union it should be partitioned again into a part that wants to stay in and it is laughable for NI to exist as a unitary state outside the union...... which is true as it would have zero chance in working. It is a failure as devolved within the UK and would be failure as devolved within a UI or as independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

loyalism is dead and it's culture is getting smaller and smaller. The world is seeing the backwardness of their anti everything stance, plus the fiasco of brexit that they supported and then complain about. Its just a matter of when now, not if there's a UI. Doesnt matter if thats 20, 50 or 100 years from now - a rolling stone gathers no moss and that stone is moving

It does have an identity and culture of its own but does it have an area where it is a majority. The boundary line of NI was invented to give OWC a majority. But if it is out numbered by nationlists in that jurisdiction then what happens. You have to accept its over for OWC having its own majority jurisdiction. It would break the GFA to redraw the NI boundary to give OWC another majority. Good old gerrymandering is over since GFA. Even belfast now has more nationlists than unionists. So if the people did vote for a UI are you saying we need to find a new boundary line in a in a fedral ireland that has OWC as a majority. Will belfast be its main city? Why should the nationlists majority of belfast be put in this new jurisdiction against their will. A UI would be the end of OWC having a majority jurisdiction in Ireland. At least it would happen in a time when there is equality and rome loosing its grip of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I never mentioned partitioning ni. I love ni. It’s my country and all of its people. Our diversity and our uniques shared experience of living in this jurisdiction for over 100 years.

No one wants to redraw a border. And it is you that is sectarianising it. The northern Irish identity is one of the few things here that is not sectarianised and people won’t let you try to sectarianise it.

• Advertisement

You will find few here who believe devolution should end. Unionist, nationalist or other. They’re the people you have to convince that it would be better to have another 30 years of direct rule by Dail and conflict, before the inevitable devolved ni in Ireland. Most will want to shortcut it and cut out the 30 year conflict.

So politics of living in a contested jurisdiction is the only thing that people of NI have in common..... that isn't something cultural. Again NI has nothing cultural that uniquely unites its people. It is not a nation of people no matter how hard you try to convince yourself it is. OWC might have its own unique culture but over half the population of NI are not part of it today.

Alot of people hate the fact they got trapped in the Jurisdiction. But you say you love these people too. You love all the nationlists too who dont want NI to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You were asked a very specific question which you have of course avoided.

Under the current regime people want devolution.

That is not what you were asked though.

Who in a referendum on the constitutional future will opt for devolution?

What would attract people to it given the current mess?

You have a very dated and sectarian view of ni identity. We are learning to respect eachother. I know lots of people you would call nationalist who describe themselves as northern Irish. You need to realise they, their children, their parents and their grand parents have never lived in Ireland; and you need to go back many more generations to find any roots outside the Uk. I think you don’t get this.

we are working on the most difficult bits. The bits of each of our cultures which can be perceived sectarian and exclusive. Here is a photo just from last night, of local catholic kids, who love the GAA, asking to get playing the big drum at the local loyalist parade. These kids are breaking ground, challenging us all. Challenging nationalists who think loyalist band parades wouldn’t welcome them and challenging unionists who think those in the GAA are all hardliners.

this is going on under the radar. We have kids in east Belfast dipping Their toe in the GAA.

This challenges me. I have argued that the GAA need to remove the sectarianism and the nod to militant republicanism. But yet I admire these kids for not demanding that loyalist band parades are squeaky clean before they show an interest. Maybe I need more courage like these kids

we could learn a lot from kids like this. Fair play to them.

Allow yourself to be challenged!

You are contradicting yourself. You are accepting people want it while it is a mess but argue in people won’t want it when we don’t know of it will be a mess our not. Are you suggesting people wouldn’t want it because it might work under Irish rule.

northern Irish in a Ui can be as distinct as Scottish in a Uk. Would you have a problem with that? Why do you want a Ui?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The counterpoint being the other photos from Moygashel with tricolours and posters of Leo Varadkar on the bonfire. You can claim little snippets around this time of year that show how welcome people are, I could point to lots of folk from Unionist backgrounds being part of the GAA or Arlene being welcomed to the Ulster final, but you accused the poster of having a dated and sectarian view for asking what cultural points unite the people of NI, and I think you're being pretty ridiculous if you point to the goings on of the marching season as an example.

I call myself Northern Irish, I couldn't tell you what the culture of, 'OWC' is; I suspect most of what you consider it to be is Unionist culture; bands, parades, the pageantry of the various Orders.....but they're not the culture of over half the people that make up, 'OWC', much like you wouldn't view the GAA and Irish Trad as part of yours.

I can think of plenty of things that our shared history gives us in common, not much of it that I'd describe as, 'culture' that I'd like passed down to my kids.

None of that takes away from the above image as a positive step, but it exemplifies how separate the communities are that it is even something that requires comment rather than demonstrating a unique, shared NI culture.

Support for 'devolution' as it is has fallen dramatically. Here is the most recent NILT graph showing that:

And you think you can convince people to opt for it if there is a Border Poll.

How?

Map out your argument.

update151.pdf (ark.ac.uk)

Do you really believe that the two countries could seamlessly be United under the trappings of the old roi. It’s absolutely nuts to think that there will ever be a completely United island. Not sure there ever has been in history, except when policed by the Brits.

do you really see me eg feeling the ss and the tricolour are mine ?

NI is jurisdiction in Ireland so your first paragraph does not make sence. There is lots of places in Ireland that people wont have ancestry links too. A person from Antrim might have no ancestry links to Armagh or Cork. What is your piont? People say they're from NI. Great that is a fact if true. But it is a jurisdiction they're saying they're from. There is nothing cultural unique to these 6 counies of Ireland. It is political link of living in the same jurisdiction. That isn't cultural.

It is great to see nationlists and unionists kids learning sports/cultural different from their own. This is basically normal behaviour in non sectarian places. But arent you against the irish language act so why cant you embrace that.

So when you call yourself northern Irish what do you mean?. What is it that makes you northern Irish?

and no I don’t see marching etc what makes us northern irish

Ni is not in Ireland. Ireland is a country. Certainly ni is on the island of Ireland but that is two distinct countries and has been for over 100 years.

I am absolutely not against Irish. I am against those I pay my taxes to labelling roads as republican.

We just repeat what the 'UK' has done.

That's 3 countries and a number of statelets, or regions unified under one centralised government.

Because it will be just one region here, which has very few economic, social and cultural differences, unification will be much simpler here than it was in the UK.

Sure there will be arguments and differing and competing political ideologies going forward but that like the UK, or anywhere else is absolutely normal.

In a UI the ROI and NI wont exist. Theyre history. It is a new jurisdiction covering all of Ireland. Why cant ther be one jurisdiction in Ireland. Why does it need to be fredral.

I asked you before if Scotland vote independence is it nuts for it to be one unitary state?

The only reason it needs to be federal is to appease Unionism. That's the bottom line here. Unionists and partitionists want to maintain partition in another form basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Sounds an awful lot like you're trying to avoid giving an answer right there, Downcow.

What do I mean? I mean I'm from Northern Ireland.

Any chance of you actually answering? Since you're the one asserting a unique, shared culture for, 'OWC', and accusing other posters who don't see it as having an outdated, sectarian view, you really should back it up.

• Advertisement

It’s absolutely fine for Scotland to be one state. It’s been that way for centuries and very settled. But if orkneys want devolution then I think it should be considered

I hear many people who love the GAA on here even saying that the ni GAA has a different culture than the rest. We have lived in a different jurisdiction for 100 years, it would be ludicrous to suggest we haven’t grown in different ways. We have a population living with trauma of a 30 year sectarian violent conflict. You even argue yourself that we have a different mentality/ culture. You can’t have it both ways. Northerners and southerners are as different as English and Scots. And sure we even have different breakfasts and you guys eat inferior cheese and onion crisps. Sure your country has spent last 100 years making Irish language flourish while, apparently, it’s been practically banned here. The people of ni have a connect with and influence from Scotland that you guys don’t. Etc etc

This ‘distinct’ culture you cannot pin down

Stop playing games. Why don’t you tell us how your culture is distinct from any of the other 4 countries on the British isles?

YOU are claiming a distinction here...please tell us what it is?

BTW we as an island have a distinct culture in literature, drama, poetry and film.

We also gave distinct sports in Gaelic football, hurling and handball. Add to that dance and music and it clear to anyone we are as Irish people, regardless of identity a distinct culture from our neighbours.

So the GAA in the 6 counties is different? The rules are the same the leagues are the same. In what way is GAA different in the north from the south other some clubs and counties are in a different jurisdictions.

The trobles in NI mainfifested from the fact the jurisdiction existed and didn't have equality in the first place. Every unique "culture" of NI you are trying to invent just comes from a jurisdiction. A jurisdiction where majority rule doesn't work or power sharing is not working. A failed jurdicition.

The irish language was banned in NI but again that is failure of equality in the Jurisdiction as the irish identity was being suppressed under majority rule. Are you counting NI political failure to have equality as one of NI unique cultural characteristics? Then you wonder why so many people living there want the jurisdiction to be put to bed and not exist in a UI.

I don't know about breakfast. Does an irish breakfast in Donegal differ from one in Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Could yourself and downcow set up ye're own little SF/DUP tit for tat thread, its boring the **** out of everyone else!

As well as a unique language that most place names north and south derive from.

• Advertisement

With centuries of unique writing, drama and poetry before we took the English language and gave it a uniquely Irish slant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement