Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats happemimg

• 07-07-2023 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

i hv ben looking for a job that that gives me 40 hrs a week. right now i am not on roster and not getting any work....ithought it will get settled once i fill in the initial setup. it has been 2 weeks n i had one days work.i am tearing my hair off...what could be the reason?...i was hired as cover only for summer and they dont hv the shifts for me.....hopefully somone more experienced can nail the problem.i have switched 3 companies now looking for the elusive 40 hrs a week for survival...i am frustrated nothing is working.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What work is it?

No offence intended but it would be easier to read the OP if you didn't abbreviate words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

we had one guy in my place, he wasn't putting in the work. looking at his phone again and again, standing around, generally being inefficient.

he couldn't understand why we didn't bring him back after a few weeks, he probably still doesn't get it - that the company wants value for the money.

so for him it was a mystery why the company suddenly wasn't looking for him to come back.

I've seen it happen a couple of times.

could this be the same with you? are you messing around too much at work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to ask the employer what the story is, we can only make a wild guess. If you have been hired only as summer cover, then perhaps people did not take time off as expected or the company only ever wanted you as a backup plan, only they can tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭billyhead

Seriously Op. No point in asking posters on an internet forum. Ask the manager or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chnvel

obviously i asked and given no answers....the lack of answers got to me a little bit today.......the manager is off for an operation...part of the problem........ i was asking because some people may know the irish scene better n know how things work n how it works in the industry....i hv only 2 months experience in the industry like a fish out of water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What is so obvious about it?

How did you ask? Email, verbally?

What did you say/write?

what i meant i have no reason to ask anyone else if i got answers.asked the reason for my omission through email...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How can anybody here know? We don't know the company or even what kind of job it is - are you an engineer or a shop assistant, a call centre operator or an assistant in a creche?

just looking for different angles than mine....basucally i was frustrated yesterdaysince a potential solution burst yet again,,,,it has been a never ending ordeal since a stroke last year.lucky to be alive...now wondering why i survived,

i am an engineer working in security to tide things over for time being.

my contracts states this

Casual work. Where this contract type is applicable, you are employed on casual basis and your hours of work will be determined by a roster. Zero hours contracts do not apply.Casual work. Where this contract type is applicable, you are employed on casual basis and your hours of work will be determined by a roster. Zero hours contracts do not apply.

but weeklyhours of contract is specified as 40 in offer and it is mentioned as full time.

i amconfused by this. i dont want to return signed doc for zero hour contract.

what to make of this.

• Advertisement

if the offerin the contract states 40 hour, they hv to give me 40 hrs or oay for it,,,,it its less they have to specify layoff terms clearly in the contraact, am i right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not always that clear cut. You said above that your contract is for casual work.

i didnt say that...i reproduced verbatim from the contract.

the contract has these details in the main offer info.

Weekly hours of work

Full Time / Part Time

Full Time

later it states

Where this contract type is applicable, you are employed on casual basis and your hours of work will be determined by a roster. Zero hours contracts do not apply.

the reason i am confused.it clearly states zero hour contracts do not apply but sounds like casual work and a zero hour contract.

zero hour contracts are illegal in ireland since a few years ago by and large.if somone legal sees this, can they help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zero hour contracts are not illegal, there just have to be specific circumstances that require them. Summer cover would be a classic case where they are required: regular staff don't take leave when expected, events are cancelled due to weather or lower demand.

A lawyer cannot give advice based on snippets of your contract that you have posted here.

those snippets are the relevant info....nothing else in the contract matches relevance.

a casual work is expected to state

'work is available at times , you are not guaranteed hours. You have the right to refuse or accept hours of work offered to you.'

i signed one before in april.n i was under no impression otherwise. i am gratedful to that company.here neither the ad or recruitment or offer letter mentioned 'casual' once. it is 'deception'

i went to an interview today where i got some insight from hr. the ero has taken off contracted hours for the security industry....one has to take the company's word forfull time hours...if the company is not giving fulll time hours despite the offer, it means they are not keeping their word...wonder whats the thinking behid expecting employee to take the employer's word...instead of regulating it.....being in a highly skilled industry, i never had to face this 0 hr nonsense until now....looks like the only way out is goto my main job n focus on job search like i used to in the past. my backup plan has failed miserably.

Advertisement