Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Only have mine since yesterday, it's showing a range of 360km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Best car I've ever driven, would take it anywhere in Europe (except perhaps further east than Poland or Romania, but that's for other non EV related reasons)

I've the 77kWh and it has plenty of range. If there's a good deal going on the 52kWh and you'll mostly be driving around Dublin then I say go for it

You will be in for some added charging when taking the car for a long trip, so just be sure to factor that in and be prepared for the extra stops

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

yeah to be honest my only concern is the battery, 0% appeals, i would buy the longer range one if it was 0% too, bit silly as to why it is only for the shorter range. Having said that, i never drove one bu thave driven the Ioniq 5, ev6 and Tesla, anybody drive these, how does the ID4 compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve the 52kwh City model. No issue with range, 38,000 km since Easter last year.

mainly school runs, shops runs, Dublin to. Holiday home in Wexford

we’ve also gone to kerry, Sligo, cork, Galway, Donegal, Belfast and so on

generally it’ll make it there without the need to charge. Sometimes on the longer trips we’ll take a quick top up.

than slow charge over night at destination

Post edited by ted1 on

Is the 0% finance linked to over production of that model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

unsure, i was told it was just for the shorter battery but now looking on the website of VW Ireland, the longer battery option is also at 0%. I am unsure what is going on. Could well be over production as the 2024 model has a facelift and other upgrades so they may be trying to offload this one etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think it’s to shift the cars as they have over produced them worldwide and the demand has dropped. VW have paused the ID production in their factories in Germany, well at least in one based on news reports. There’s also the 2024 refresh model due.

Plus, the 0% is only on the 52 kWh car, their smallest battery, a 2 ton suv and their lowest spec car. It also only has the 154bhp version motor.

Personally speaking, it’s the reg people are buying, I’d fear it would be a hard sell in the future second hand.

edit. Weight added.

Post edited by Gumbo on

I aim to keep the id4 for a good while. The 30kw Leaf we've had 7 years, only traded in as I now needed more range.

The 52kwh model is 1.9tons and by accounts from people who have had both , it’s nippier that 300kg makes a difference

looking at DoneDeal, the prices of the 52kwh are holding their value better than the 77kwh ones. There’s are non for sale that are cheaper then I paid for mine .

people are less inclined to spend big money on private sales

They were €40k in June. That was good value for one new.

But the 154 bhp motor would kill me more than the smaller battery. I don’t need the range personally but come resale may be an issue.

• Advertisement

As I Said the resale value is not an issue with the 52kwh. They are holding their value better than the 77kwh

as I said the 300kg savings makes it more nipper.

i paid 32k for a city. The cheapest one on DoneDeal is 36k.

what makes you think resale is on issue with the 52kwh model?

more people can afford a 52kwh than a 77kwh so the market is bigger. And people Are less likely to spend more on a private sale

I suppose. It’s only half a second slower to 60.

Harder to judge second hand prices. Relatively new car, some for sale for 36k on DD (asking). Anyone that picked up a 40k one in June done great. I see most dealers asking 48k now for the same car, so your paying for the 0% finance in the purchase.

My concern for someone forking out that money, in 3/4 years time, the big car with a relatively small battery. Once the price drops considerably, I suppose there will be no issue selling like all cars. I’m old school, I’d buy a 222 77 kWh over a 232 52 kWh.

I picked up in April 2022 for 32k ;) that’s 8k cheaper than June .

I couldn’t justify the 14k price differential for a longer range that might be needed less than a dozen times a year

reslae prices at proportional, you may sell it for more but you have paid more for it. It’s a false economy to think

the 77kwh will have a bigger resale

Even better value. Makes my reasoning that the current 46-48k price is madness. What’s changed?

People are paying for that 0% finance.

Yeah I'll be doing the same, the equivalent model has gone up by €14k and I don't want to trade down in spec for the same price.

None of the competition particularly appeal to me except maybe the EV6 which is going up in price

The cost to change isn't worthwhile to me. Maybe the refresh next year will change my mind, but it's doubtful unless they add some amazing new features

So I think I'll be paying off the loan at the end of the PCP and just keep the car for a few more years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What's the basis of your concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

DD prices are probably skewed as the 52kWh model is much rarer than the 77kWh. Be mindful that range is only going to go one direction as the car gets older. Small battery EV’s will end up being the €5K Nissan Leaf equivalent at some point but it could be 10 years away. If you can afford the 77kWh, I think it would be the better car in the long term. Remember 300kg is the equivalent of 3 passengers. If the performance of your car is impacted by carrying a few passengers, it’s obviously underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

Posting here in case any of you have come across this.

I am trying to charge at a campsite in France at the moment. It’s a 22 kw charger and the Id.3 is flashing up ‘charging cancelled - consult vehicle wallet’. I tried reducing ac current but that only worked for a minute and then that stopped also. 

any ideas?

That’s why PCP works good for EV. Battery technology and so on is moving fast. No intention of keeping an EV more than 3 years.

no impact really carrying 3 passengers, performance is perfect. More or less the same HP as the top Tiguan but with no gearbox meaning the power is linear

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/my24/Tiguan_MY24.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Be mindful that a 52kWh ID.4 is significantly heavier than even a 2.0TDI Tiguan and this will blunt performance somewhat. No issue with PCP if it suits financially as you’re farming out the resale risk and you just rent a car for a fixed monthly charge.

• Advertisement

I think that happens when the charger refused to start. Does it need an RFID card to validate it?

If the battery degrades at 1% per year then in 30 years it'll have the same range as a brand new Nissan Leaf 24kWh of around 120km, which is still plenty for most people

I think the whole battery degradation thing is a big overblown tbh. If it takes decades for the car to hit the point where it gets relegated to a second car then that's fine IMO

How many cars from 1993 do we see on the motorways these days?

no. It seems water got into the chargepoint and it’s faulty.

Yep, that'll do it alright

Hope you've a backup option, maybe they'll let you plug the granny lead into the mobile home?

We didn’t bring the granny cable. Didn’t want to chance it with 3 point plug on it. There’s an Ionity 18 km from here so will nip up for a charge after boys are gone to bed.

between chargemap card not arriving until the day after we left and now this! Hasn’t been the smoothest experience but we are managing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm sure the 154hp ID.4 isn't too bad on the low end 0-50 or 0-60kph as it's an EV and will be nice and smooth off the line. 0-100 in 10.9 seconds isn't great but wouldn't leave you struggling to get up to 120kph on slip roads. It's very similar to a typical 1.6 TDI Golf/Passat, even the Tiguan equivalent is slower (granted the EV has more power but both would be entry level power).

I think some people have a warped perspective on economy cars after driving a 204hp EV. People in the ID.3 thread were always complaining about the T-Roc loaners they got so when I got back into my old 110hp TSI Golf I was expecting the worst, it was just fine and didn't feel slow at all...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I owned a 52 for a year and changed to a 77 when the PCP % reduced. I’ve had the 77 for 3 months now and am delighted. I do quite a lot of kms per year (20k) but the majority of it is local. I just found in the winter I had to charge too often, I now only have to charge approx every week. If I was doing maybe half the mileage it would have been grand! Whenever I did do longer journeys I found it a bit too stressful for my liking.

Regarding the creaking issue, I also had that towards the end of my first year with the 52. I sold it soon after so never got to the bottom of it .

I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference between the two in terms the 52kW being nippier! Both pretty rapid in my opinion!

I find the 250bhp 530e slow and sluggish after having high performance EV’s 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

School boy error😁 was in France last year and plugged into the caravan no problem. Set the AC to low and it charged away at 2-3 kW kept me going for most of the holiday. Bled those guys dry of electricity 😁

I would have thought the granny cable should never leave the boot of the car just in case

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Today I learned that the maneuver braking setting turns itself back on whenever you start the car

This seems new, I don't think it did that before 3.0

Anyway, had a few whiplash moments when the car braked suddenly while reversing. Usually happens when the rain is confusing the parking sensors and I let the brake pedal fully up

Advertisement