Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

"RTÉ has exclusive rights in Ireland to broadcast the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023. The women’s team will travel to Australia and New Zealand who host the competition this summer from July 20th until the final on August 20th."

RTE expecting to make hay while the sun shines:

TOTAL SPOT PACKAGE based on 1 30” spot in each of the 42 games:

half-time breaks €35,000

in/out match breaks €21,500

in/out programme €10,500

Maybe Ryan Tubridy could purchase some spots to make an apology to the watching public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'll probably watch some of the games but I find it so hard to watch women's football be it international or club football, the quality just isn't good enough to interest me

Overlord

Do they play with the same goal post size as the men's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Thank Christ these games are on in the early AM so we don't have to tolerate the coverage the rest of the day ....womens football bores me into a stupor it's atrocious, like watching someone you don't know playing a computer game simulation....badly

Overlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd be up for joining a sweepstakes. Whatever way you want to allocate the teams is all good for me.

Can't say I'm an expert in any way about women's football. I've watched bits and pieces of games over the last campaign and I know the gist of the challenge that awaits Ireland: done very well to get there but up against it in a hard group.

As for women's football generally. I have watched bits and pieces of the last Euro's and WC. Tbh I've struggled to watch entire games because the quality is quite low, but I'm trying to make an effort to appreciate it for what it is, rather than comparing it to the standard of PL or Champions League football. Watching something like that twitter video from above would do more to encourage me to take an interest because I'd rather try to find the good in something, than to find myself in agreement with the haters.

I do watch the men's national team and it sure isn't for the quality - it's more about the emotional investment over years and years, so I will be wishing the women well and hoping they have a good tournament.

I think if they manage to compete in the group or even get out of it, the level of general interest will be quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

This seems to be a rather common opinion. And while it’s not helpful to women’s sport in general, it is a somewhat valid one from an entertainment perspective. But maybe you have to take into account the fact that the current (mens) game has developed over at least the last 100 years or so on a professional level. It’s had almost limitless cash, time and coverage poured into it. It’s just a bigger animal all round.

The women’s game just needs to develop. I imagine 50 Years from now (assuming it continues to grow) it will be a different game.

Young girls need to see results and feel represented to generate the next generation of female footballers and for it to grow.

It will probably never be the same as the men’s game. But just dismissing it as low quality and boring comes across as quite unsports’man’like.

It’s gaining in popularity - trouble is whilst the girls are doing well now, if Irish investment in the game doesn’t keep up with the popularity of it, they’ll be sitting home watching it on TV instead of competing…Like the men’s team 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’m ready to hop on the bandwagon- women’s World Cup is a far bigger and more meaningful sporting contest than the men’s Rugby “World Cup” , if you want to talk about hype and getting something rammed down your throat save it for that comp.

having said that match times and days of the week they are on are a shite buzz- only hope of a weekend game for Ireland is if they make second round

Can't you dismiss something like cricket as boring without sounding 'unsportsmanlike' .......what's the difference in having that view on womens football? it's clearly the times we live in and the whole left field movement

You can say whatever you like. And, likewise, I can have an opinion on what you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have no interest in the Women's game and will not be watching any of the games. Also hate all the banwagon jumping that happens on occassions like this.

Fair enough, any explanation as to the reason you said someone saying womens football is low quality and boring is unsportsmanlike ? is that all across the board for any sport people don't like or just this one.....

Overlord

Is the SheBelieves Cup the same as the Womens World Cup?

mod- threadbanned

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Okay I’m basing this on the assumption that you do enjoy the men’s game. But the women’s game is atrocious due to the low quality in your opinion.

There seems to be a “it’s shitt and I want nothing to do with it” attitude from quite a few in this thread. So it’s not solely directed at you, I just don’t see how that helps the women’s game improve, or add anything to a thread supporting women at the peak of their game.

Having competed in a few sports at a beginner (atrocious) level I’ve always been encouraged by far superior athletes than me. That’s good sportsmanship.

• I feel like it’s just some weird type of jealousy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If we just train a goalkeeper to save average harmless shots we will win the world cup easily. 😉

On that assumption I would assume you bracket the womens game alongside the mens game something it's been sold as by media ....I'm not buying it whether that's offensive to whoever or not I don't care........would it be unsports’man’like for me to say I don't watch LoI either, I find that low quality too ...non league English football is something I also don't bother with is that unsportsmanlike

Look I’m not gonna go on about this and derail the thread, so this is my last post on this topic.

Go back, read your own post and tell me how you think you come across as a good sport.

Who says I think I come across as a good sport 😄......I don't care tbh it was my opinion it wasn't offensive it was my truth

Pfft whiteknights fighting the good fight everywhere ....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

I’ll be watching. My ten year old daughter is absolutely football mad and is really excited about it. Some incredibly and predictably stupid comments on here of course. Fair play to the women’s team I say especially as the so called men’s team couldn’t kick snow off a rope. Whiteknights!! Jesus Christ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I get the feeling that some people think that just by us watching the womens team, they will somehow get better. I would have thought that once they get better, they would pull more of a crowd? People won't keep watching boring. I'm actually surprised mens soccer gets the crowds it does, seems to be very easy to entertain them for 90 minutes... But the mens game does at least have a baseline of quality, and from the few games I've seen, it's really poor on the womens team. Seems that they don't even have the basics down and often make stupid, small mistakes. Most mens games don't have that. So, at least from my perspective, the team needs to get better to keep my attention. Tis bandwagony, but that's how most people feel I reckon.

They do get crowds it seems, at the highest level ...but they're certainly not what you'd consider a 'football crowd' more event trippers ......tbh I've tried watching it I see the crowds in attendance the enthusiasm of the commentary and wonder what the fuk am I missing? I just don't get it .......there are no obvious stand out players in the womens game ability wise nor any obvious villains it's all much of muchness 1 paced ....beyond drab, reckon smaller pitches smaller goals would have been a way to go forward but with the equality mantra that's never happening ......I'd equate it to underage kids playing full size game and trying to replicate the mens game the physicality is just not there for it .........I have no problem with women having their own platform but there's definite attempt at a crossover of codes by the media in general, they're trying to sell it on a par even on Irish tv you see advertised Ireland v so and so in WC qualifier .......it takes a bit of research to find out it's a womens International they failed to mention

• Registered Users Posts: 31,536 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sure look it's up to everyone to choose how they wish to convey their point of view. How people frame their opinions is just as important to how it will be received as the core opinion itself.

For instance; "women's football bores me into a stupor it's atrocious, like watching someone you don't know playing a computer game simulation....badly", is obviously a more insulting choice of words than than simply saying; "I don't enjoy watching it, so will give it a miss".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the squad and i will be watching

I do feel we might get a tanking by the Aussies and Canada

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Best of luck to the team, I hope they do well as it will hopefully inspire more women/girls to take up the sport which can only be a good thing.

I have to admit that I won't be watching though, I just find it tough going to watch as it's too slow and the goalkeepers are generally poor.

Insulting to who? am I supposed to give someone elses opinion rather than my own not to cause insult.............if I said I thought the Tour de France was over hyped gets saturated coverage and I find it boring would that be insulting or 'unsportamnlike' ............the defending of womens football by those I would take a wild guess don't actually watch it to any degree is more condescending to women than my critical opinion of it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Just a warning to posters on this thread that blatant sexism, misogyny and offensive terminology will not be tolerated here, and those making such comments will be threadbanned.

By all means discuss the merits or otherwise of Irish women’s soccer, but do not descend to nastiness, sniping and bickering with other posters simply because you disagree with them.

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That’s a shame but the overall ticket sales so far have surpassed the last World Cup. Australia have large communities from all over the world living there which would help their sales figures and the tickets for group matches are reasonably priced. The higher priced ones I bought converted to less than 25 euros each.

There’s no doubt about it that people aren’t booking packages to travel to it like they do for the men’s comp. So I’d say they’re still reliant on the TV market. Rome wasn’t built in a day though so hopefully it keeps gaining fans as the years go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

I (and my 11 year old daughter) will be watching as many of the games as we can manage. She plays and its great for her to see women representing their country playing the same position she does (those rubbish goalkeepers someone was talking about!), and maybe wonder could she do the same herself one day. The rest of the family will have no choice to but watch with us and expect will end up very invested in the whole thing by the end. We've a few nationalities and allegiances in the family so we've a few teams to follow, and I'm sure battle lines will be drawn at some stage.

I'd have loved to have had women's football to watch and aspire to myself as a football mad teenager (although I was objectively rubbish at playing).

Yes, the quality might not be the same as the men's game, and the investment certainly isn't anywhere near that level, but that doesn't mean it won't be an enjoyable few weeks of football (and there's certainly less rolling around on the ground pretending they are dying because someone breathed on them in the women's game)

Advertisement