Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That’s not my attitude, or indeed most feminists I know. There are definitely radfems out there that feel that way, thankfully they’re in the minority, albeit quite a loud minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe they won't be criticised as much as the men because they don't get paid as much as the men, in their day jobs?

What signs of instability have you seen since she got control of her life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I watch my daughter enjoy football more than her brother and I want her to see herself as entitled to a shot In sports or anything else as her brother, I still don’t identify as a feminist however, feminism is a poisonous ideology in my view

Ok. I’m not surprised you think that way 🤷

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I have yet to meet a male feminist who doesn't make my skin crawl.

No harm fostering self belief in your daughter, but suggestion that men who rail against male feminists need feminism is hilarious.

Why men need feminism:

Feminism is for equal care of children

Feminism is for equal share of household responsibility

Feminism is for basic necessities (like changing areas in men’s bathrooms, paternity leave etc)

Feminism is for more men in student facing education roles.

Feminism is for more men needed in nursing roles.

And many many many more, but these are the ones that popped into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't know if it's a controversial opinion as such, but it's not one I can find any agreement with - no modern phones have a decent vibrate. By 'decent', I don't mean it has nuanced haptics. I simply mean that you can feel it in your pocket when it's ringing on silent. Because there's this weird obsession with thin phones, none can really incorporate a powerful vibration motor. It's a real shame. I can't simply leave a phone on silent and let the vibrate notify me of a call or text. Remember the old Nokias from the 2000s? That's what I mean by a good vibration. Even the original Moto G phone had a sufficiently strong vibrate, but that phone is unfortunately about 12 years out of date.

But what's really strange to me is that, even among the griping about some manufacturers leaving out the headphone jack, nobody seems bothered about modern phones not having a strong vibrate, even though it used to be a really handy feature. Such is the elimination of the concept that if you inquire about it, it often raises eyebrows and a sly grin like, "Ohhhh, what do you want a strong vibrate for??? Planning a naughty night in, are we?"

No, I just want a reliable way of leaving the phone in the pocket and not missing calls even in noisy environments, or having a way to get discrete notifications in quieter ones. When did that become not a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People who are oddballs:

- those that insist on bringing their dog with them everywhere. Like restaurants or public transport.

- those who bring babies or toddlers (with their noise cancelling headphones) to things like a concert or a sporting event

- straight men who don't follow sport in any capacity

• Advertisement

1) Men should be allowed under Irish law to have children of their own via paying surrogate mothers without any woman having a legal right to that child in Irish law. The cost of the surrogate - €25,000 or so - would be significantly cheaper than the cost of a divorce and the years of renting a bedsit because a woman who was his partner had the child with him, and thus is granted superior rights in Irish courts to that child, and to destroy that man's financial independence and quality of life until the child is 23 years old when she wants to end the relationship. That power bestowed on somebody because of their gender, and nobody is modern Ireland says anything. Sound familiar? 1950s Ireland and industrial schools/Magdalene laundries/abuse?

Irish family law, and the judges in its breathtakingly secretive courts and their years-long delays, are a testimony to a central truth of the so-called equality agenda for women: women are more than happy to use the gender card to continue getting superior rights to children and family homes when marital breakdown happens. Like industrial schools, Magdalene laundries and all the rest in former years, Irish people don't want to know about the discrimination against a whole section of Irish society: middle- and working-class men who are facing marital breakdown when they share joint legal custody of a child with a woman. These men face a state which treats women as vulnerable children and bestows incredible rights and privileges upon them at the expense of other Irish citizens because the latter are male. And nobody in supposedly progressive Ireland in 2023 says anything at all this gender-based destruction in the event of divorce because the victims are men. Utterly immoral what's happening - and it doesn't just happen "other men". It could be your son, your brother, your Dad.

2) Prostitution should very, very obviously be legal. This is another relic from the Roman Catholic and British Empire's backward control of our society. Has prostitution ever stopped in all the years it has been illegal in Ireland? But have prostitutes health and safety been put at risk every day by its being illegal? Legalising and regulating prostitution is a no-brainer. Most counties in Europe do precisely this and prostitutes are given minimum standards of health, safety and medical treatment due to that regulation. Backward Ireland is, as with its regressive two-year ban before an Irish person can even apply for a divorce in 2023, way behind the most progressive countries in Europe. You won't find the middle-class Ivana Bacik types who constitute the entirety of the women's rights industry in Ireland seeking to legalise prostitution though as it might weaken the power of the abusive women who make life miserable for so many men once they have the children and know their power over his life is infinitely greater due to having children. Another hypocrisy of the supposed "liberalism" of the women's rights industry in Ireland in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So you don't think men should pay for their children if they break up with their mothers.............

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't think men should be removed from the comparatively large family home which they at least equally own (and frequently paid for in its entirety), and shoved into renting a substandard bedsit for 20 or so years (until the youngest child is 23). On top of that, they then have their access to their own children regulated by women getting superior rights from the judiciary, and they must pay maintenance to keep their children in a home they has been thrown out of against their wishes. At every stage of the process, female adult citizens of this State are granted more rights to children and the home than male adult citizens of this State.

The obvious alternative is the family home should be sold, equity equally divided (even though the man has usually paid for most of it) and that both parents have equal rights to raise the children 50% of the time each.

However, when men seek to do this, as regular as clockwork the woman makes false allegations against him to remove him from the family home because, if he gets 50:50 parenting, she will lose control of the family home. There's great evil sanctioned by the gender-based violence implemented against men under the guise of protecting the "best interests of the children". It's all about control of the home, and the victimhood from women during a divorce process when kids are involved is utterly galling when the reality is that the family law system is stacked to the high heavens against all men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The courts do what is best for the children. You think they should take the home from under the children, uproot their lives, because their parents can't get along?

bad enough the kids have to go through their parents separating, but then you expect the courts to turn their whole world upside down?

someone isn't thinking of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Referring to victims as “survivors” is cringeworthy at best.

Disagree with that, as it depends on the circumstance.

Survivors of mother and baby homes? Absolutely, given how many people died in them.

Survivors of domestic abuse? Arguable considering how many people die from domestic abuse every year.

Definitely a controversial opinion anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Beer gardens/smoking areas in pubs are not intended to also serve as children's play areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I disagree but I a can accept that you have a different opinion on the matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think you might be guilty of a slight over-generalisation about what women do in separations there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Give it a week, he'll be up the spire dressed as batman.

This is breathtakingly naïve. The courts reflect a prejudice which believes women have superior rights to the children and family home - despite being in a world where the vast majority of both parents (especially where property prices are high) work outside the home. In that context of equal parenting and equal working outside the home, how many times do they throw the mother rather than the father out of the family home?

It doesn't happen because the so-called "equality" agenda for women doesn't apply in places where they benefit enormously from their gender, namely in the secretive family law courts of modern Ireland. The kids are pawns.

Not in the family courts. False allegations against men - the "silver bullet" - are par for the course.

Everything is "amicable" if the man walks away to a substandard rented bedsit without equal access to his children and agrees to pay the mortgage and child maintenance for the next 20 years. If he thinks that's unfair and fights it, the pattern of false allegations and claims of "abuse" suddenly emerge. The vast majority of women in family law cases are faux-victims who are focused on keeping control of the family home and children (in that order).

A lot of “free thinkers” are actually morons who are below average intelligence. That whole COVID was a hoax, Joe Rogan podcast fan, Ireland is hopelessly corrupt, climate change is a way of socially engineering us etc etc appeals to a hugely limited and easily influenced sort of person. Thick cünts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most people become total bores once they get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Same can be said about the other half, and it's hardly surprising given that half of the people are, as you said, "below average intelligence" - vegan activists, just stop oil, PETA. They too have delegated their thinking activities to others.

If you are in an activists group, being it on the left or on the right, you need to stop every second and think, "am I doing this on my own accord, or is it someone else doing the thinking for me?" - and unfortunately this doesn't happen, but we tend to give it a pass to those who share our opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have absolutely nothing against Gay people but Gay couples shouldnt be allowed have kids, bullying is already a huge issue for kids at school, having 2 parents of the same sex, makes the chances of the kids being bullied go through the roof. its not fair on the kids.

You realise this means you DO have something against gay people, by saying they shouldn’t have kids lest their kids get bullied?

I have friends in same sex relationships, (in the city and country) with school going children, and I’m pleased to report, none of the kids are being bullied because of their parents relationship.

My brother in law came out in 4th year on his Facebook before telling his family. We were all very worried he’d get picked on, but not only had he no issue in school (country school) but his popularity rose afterwards.

As the song goes, the kids are alright.

• Advertisement

You need to understand that in the eyes of self proclaimed feminists, courts are patriarchal institutions and so any evidence of bias against fathers when it comes to couples separation is just another example of said patriarchy

Advertisement