Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

“The upgrade of the Dunkettle interchange, 6km east of Cork city and just north of the Jack Lynch Tunnel, means motorists can now travel from the Kinsale Road roundabout on the N40 in Cork all the way to the Red Cow roundabout on the M50 in Dublin without encountering a traffic light.”

Surely it should be west of Ballincollig all the way to Lisburn where the A1 meets the M1?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You can by definition now travel from Killarney to Lisburn without meeting a traffic light unless there’s a pedestrian set along the N22 I’m forgetting

I think the key point missing from the article was “on grade-separated dual carriageway”.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Just took a drive through this and some thoughts…

N40 to N25W

Theyve not really modified this as of yet, just removed the lights, expect people will (as I was) be expecting a more gradual turn and may see some heavy breaking to make the turn.

Dunkettle Roundabout

This will be an issue, already observed people not using the roundabout correctly and jumping lanes both on the roundabout and N25E

N25E to N40W

Open and quite clear, 30kmh limit with a speed van currently parked at the bottom. The merge to M8S is okay but will need all obeying limits. The M8S is reduced to a single lane and occupies the right lane to the merge with N25W

Southern Dumbell Roundabout to N40

The roundabout on the dumbbell is not well signed with some old signage remaining and to someone with an interest was still confusing with the exits being so close. Using Cork as a designation is poor. The ramp itself merges well with N25W (if anything they’ve made it longer than it needed to be) and it’s all a single lane to the merge with M8S. Had a close call with a car from M8S who crossed the island at the earliest oppurtunity to get to the left lane entering the tunnel.

Overall

Game changing for Cork, lots to be don in terms of road resurfacing and removal of older signage etc but after the first week we should see drastic improvements. Note as in the newsletters that speed enforcement was everywhere with me personally spotting 4 vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I think that person can be stupid all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Even with free flow, wonder will there be tailbacks at peak times with the 30kmh limit - especially from the East and North towards tunnel in the mornings with traffic from both directions using 1 lane only at the intersection.

Assuming this will go to 50/60kmh when everything has been fully opened.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Similar slips on the M50 are 30km/h and seem to work ok. The low speed limit will actually help with the merging between N8E -> N40W and M8S -> N40W.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

All they need to do now is make the toll booths freeflow like on the M50.

Assume M8 south will become one lane permanently from where the left lane goes east towards the dumbell?

What does the N25 east diverge look like now. It appears to have 2 lanes. This must mean the 2 lanes have to coming into 1 before meeting with m8 traffic? Is this a sensible approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is still the big question for me, and if no-one gets out for a mooch today I'll report in tomorrow when I get to work!

• Advertisement

It’s exactly as you’ve described, with proper speed it should be fine, as I mentioned earlier I’d a close call with someone on M8S who was keen to get into the left lane before the tunnel but once people get used to moving on and not merging or aligning to the driving lane until after the tunnel it should be fine, I think it was a dashed line where they merge to the tunnel but for me should probably be a single white line.

Should be solid white all the way from N25 M8 merge to the other side of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

🙄 Someone should enlighten Barry Roche that the Kinsale Road roundabout has not been on the N40 (South Ring Road) route since 2006 and that it is a roundabout on the N27. Also, there are no traffic lights on the N7 at the Red Cow since 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Well, the first A1 roundabout is just south of there at Hillsborough. But the big error is that there hasn't been a roundabout at Red Cow for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

The whole thing feels very rushed , and for no good reason. They should have waited a few weeks and finished the resurfacing of the N25 east and westbound. The lane approaching link F is very poor and the exit of link M is only temporary also. Link B was never finished . Why didnt they wait two or three weeks and do a proper job instead of corralling traffic down cone and arco lined lanes ?

Anyone forced to use this interchange daily to get to and from work would disagree.

The opening hasn't come soon enough after being delayed time and time again.

I am hoping being stopped on the Kinsale flyover on my way home from work are a thing of the past.

My thinking is they’re using the poor road conditions and cones to help people slow down to get used to it? Could be wrong but only makes sense to me in those terms…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes, I think that's very likely - get drivers used to going through here slowly, as the 60 km/h limit will stay on the interchange once done.

But July is a good time - it is the lowest-traffic period of the year, and so it's the best time to make major changes without creating total chaos. Waiting two more months means September, when schools and colleges return, and traffic increases.

Plus, these links have to open early, because until they do, it is impossible to remove the roundabout and complete the remaining movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I actually went into left lane before the tunnel earlier myself lol - checked my mirror though and it was safe to do so and it was a dashed line - if it was during a particularly busy time of day though, don’t think it would be as easy.

Great new video from Drone Hawk.

Shocking that work crews had to block unfinished links with excavators just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

The latest drone hawk video above really shows how many merging points there will be going forward. Which I suppose is inevitable when so many lanes are ultimately flowing into 2 for the tunnel.

Can see some crashes and small tips occurring at those points.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

Q. How are they going to pay for all of this ?

A. Put cash/camera Vans at every possible site and then lower the limit to an unrealistic 60 Kph

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Delayed time and time again ? Really. Not aware of any delays and the project is ahead of schedule if anything . Plus all these half finished surfaces are going to have to be properly dressed further down the line leading to further closures , restrictions and delays to traffic

The whole thing was delayed 12 months minimum when appointing the contractor. Google it.

Online surfacing has been done for the most part after 9PM at night. Work scheduling has been very considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Seeing the merges from both viewpoints in that video is helpful to me. That merge of tunnel-bound city traffic with Dublin traffic does seem like a spot for small tips etc, and the inevitable tailbacks that may ensue.

Being optimistic, drivers from Dublin direction will be careful & considerate of merging traffic.

Being pessimistic, a rash of road-blocking tips will lead to a return of traffic lights at that location?

Post edited by curiosity on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Excellent video. Shows the new movements so clearly. And highlights the risky spots well too.

Not surprised to see the excavators being positioned after Dronehawk's "chaos/stupid" video yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Another useful video. Even though it's Sunday, looks to be quite a buildup of traffic from Glanmire direction looking to access Dunkettle (Tivoli) roundabout. 30 kph on the cloverleaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Could be the case, but I think there were a lot of people out today just going for a drive and mucking around seeing what they could see.

Next few days will be tough enough as commuters get used to it all, but hopefully after that it'll flow better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The provision of at surface pedestrian crossings at points on this scheme is very unsafe. There should be pedestrian bridges.

Two slip roads at the Dunbell interchange to the east have pedestrian crossing. Even more unsafe are those provided at the start of the N28 DC at the roundabout.

Very poor design.

Advertisement