Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

Nearest safe country with pretty much the same values and culture as here. Probably England or Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

It is funny how you give the pro-refugees/ asylum seekers numbers and facts yet they completely look over it and give some wonderful replies.

8 Percent increase in our population (not including Ukrainians and asylum seekers) since 2016, no bother.

Irish students being kicked out of student accommodation to house asylum seekers, no bother.

100's of men being put into tiny rural areas' increasing populations by 20 percent and more, have you got a problem with men?

People coming here with no passport or identity. Yeah, but they are fleeing prosecution.

Cultural differences. There are no cultural differences, you are just a racist.

Crimes committed by people who arrive here. Yeah, but Irish people commit crimes too.

I could go on but what is the point? You could give many more points but it is always completely ignored and not given an ounce of reality, kind of like how the government treats the general public view on the topic. If you can't see how this is an issue you either are delusional or have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ultimately it has to come down to immigration's knowledge, expertise and instinct, yes. They gather all of the evidence about the person making the asylum claim and then make a decision. They can of course make occasional mistakes in either direction i.e. turn down a genuine refugee or grant asylum to someone who is not one. You would imagine though they get the bulk of decisions right (and they do turn quite a few people down).

And when they do turn them down what happens? Some NGO helps them appeal it and if that does not work they get a deportation order but here is the catch, you have to self-deport yourself. So basically everyone that comes here,stays here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's definitely true that they can appeal the decision through the courts (which is only right). I'm not sure we should be getting hung up on all of this though. It looks like the majority of asylum seekers making the claim for asylum in any given year are genuine refugees (and there's been talk this week they have tightened up asylum procedures even further in the last six months or so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I assume all employers in Ireland more or less. Import from abroad and pay lower wages. It's up to the government then to decide how many are allowed entry, last year 40,000 was the number of visas allowed for non EU immigrants.

However this is not the immigration thread is it?

No, we really should get hung up on that. How do you know they are genuine? The talk this week, from who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The success of Ireland as a country, economically has both encouraged people to emigrate here and in part is due to immigration into this country.

People want to live in successful, fair, decent societies. It's a compliment to our country.

Don't know what the 3 out of 4 being Irish means, what difference would that make?

Anyway, it's all off topic

Where did you get the new percentages since may 2022 from?

And what difference does it make how much the UK did or didn't grow? Ireland had a lot of room for population increases for the last 100 odd years or so

• Advertisement

Everyone that comes here stays here, completely untrue, unless you can somehow back that up? Which you cannot of course.

Most people when told they cannot stay, leave, they have an office where they specifically help these people to leave the country, if they cannot leave themselves.

Where do you think they go if they don't leave?

Sure I can.

4,631 deportation orders were issued to people whose application for asylum was rejected between 2018 and last year.

The figures show that Gardaí enforced 314 of the orders – which makes up around 7%.

Meanwhile, figures released via Parliamentary Question show that the Department of Justice assisted another 430 people to self-deport in that time frame.

That means that 3,887 asylum seekers who were issued with deportation orders have an ‘unknown status’ in Ireland.

If you wanna be anal about it and say 7 percent were carried go right ahead with this tiny victory for your cause.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/asylum-seekers-80-of-those-ordered-to-leave-remain-unaccounted-for-1448723

2 percent increase with regard to Ukrainians. Plus Asylum seekers and more migration to the country.

You will never give in, I get it you see a country as just that a country where it doesn't matter if the ethnic population is shrinking at an alarming rate. Is it because Ireland is majority White? Is that a problem for you? Would it be better if it was ''Less White''? Unless I took you up wrong.

Would you ever give it a rest.

We're in the middle of a housing crisis. Lots of working millennials failing to start a life with their partners. Birth rate below replacement is concerning to me but especially when I see decent people miss the boat to parenthood because stable accommodation is out of their reach.

You can find the Ukraine figures here https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine

More like 1.75% than 2%

You're ruining the thread with your refusal to address reality and no doubt people like you are fueling the far right.

Unknown status - left themselves without assistance. No reason to think they didnt.

What reality exactly?

everyday it's a different reason with posters, housing crisis, gp waiting lists, cultural differences, it's too many men! Why don't you just admit you don't want the foreigners here......and stop making different excuses everyday.

'People like me' means what exactly?

Please stop. Your bias toward this issue is getting beyond ridiculous. You ignore everything and then find some new way to justify your clutching at straw arguments.

You are not even hiding now.

I think you're confused or confusing me with someone else. I think foreigners brought and bring a lot to Ireland. It was really amazing to meet so many new cultures and people growing up.

'People like me' means what exactly?

People who refuse to recognise that the concerns of people are what concerns them. Old women in Santry are not allowed to feel concerned by a sudden influx of 300 men in a former office with all the limitations imposed upon those men. In a democracy the government is meant to listen to the concerns of the people. Your answer is, the concerns of people should be ignored because their concerns are less than human.

Yes, apologies, I did confuse you with someone else, you're right, sorry!

I have no issue with government listening to actual concerns, it's the made up nonsense that I have no time for. Concerned because there are a lot of men in an area? Now that's just ridiculous, unless you believe that men, simply by being men, are innately dangerous. If that's the case there is a lot more wrong with society!

A bit like people getting offended when there is nothing to offend them, people being uncomfortable for no reason is just their own problem. Maybe they need to look at themselves and ask why they are uncomfortable.

Where you see problems and believe we shouldn't take refugees, I see complaints that are nothing to do with refugees( on the whole) and can be fixed without refusing help to needy peoples.

• Advertisement

So, are you ok with the ethnic Irish population constantly shrinking? I am not saying you care, I am just asking you so I can get a read on where you are coming from with your blatant disregard for the issues people have and your constant everyone is welcome rhetoric. Again, I am not saying you care what colour, I am just asking you a question in conjunction with the answers you give to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ruining the thread??

Why would somebody arguing against the prevailing narrative be " ruining the thread " ?

There would be a dwindling echo chamber without the 6 or 7 or so of ' people like you ' as you refer to I presume those who don't agree with you .

This is a discussion forum. I respectfully suggest you set up a WhatsApp group if you don't want to be annoyed by other posters who disagree with your opinion .

But it's not a discussion. It is people being given numbers and ignore them, given facts and ignore them. That is an echo chamber.

I agree if we all had the same opinion on here it would be boring but when you give someone an example of 7 percent of deportation orders being carried out and the other over 3000 people we don't know where they are, and the response is ''Unknown status - left themselves without assistance. No reason to think they didnt.''

That is not discussion, that is blatant self-ignorance.

I don't understand the issue people have with the ethnic Irish population. Why this seems to be such a big issue.

I just don't get it, people are people. Some people will move into a country and stay forever, new people will mingle with ethnic populations over time.

I'm not into some super race of people, where they only mate and procreate with their own ethnic population, where anything other then that is seen as 'less then' something. Irish people are not a step above other peoples. I see us as equal.

No, you use figures but don't understand the system. most people leave themselves when told they do not have leave to stay.

Where do you think they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

My point is that I would want to be close to Ireland and in a culture similar to my own. I wouldn’t be looking to move halfway across the world.

No one is saying Irish people are a step above, that ludicrous, but you answered my question, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes indeed . This was presented and discussed here weeks ago but you as a " new poster " maybe you missed it , although I thought you said you had read the thread and not just newly registered ?

Let's drill down into that Newstalk snippet a bit more although if you listened to the actual podcast you would have heard what I am about to say here ...🙄

7% were forcibly deported by the gardaí. They would be those found to be criminal or those reported by intelligence from Europol .

Any problem with that ? Thought you would be happy to know that that is happening .

During the pandemic years few deportation orders were enacted and only those that were deemed to put the public at considerable risk

However in the years before that only about 15% were enacted also. There has always been a policy of self deportation , and there are many deportation warrants outstanding where the people involved are believed to have left the state .

. Others leave by themselves or are helped to leave .

Others we don't know where they go but they are not getting benefits or housing or putting any strain on the economy if they are here . If they are staying illegally and working in the black economy Irish people are employing / paying for their services so are complicit .

In reality many move on to the UK or back to Europe where it is easier to hide if illegal than Ireland .

As you say yourself, over and over , Ireland is a small place .

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41093773.html

Yeah, well if it was the Brits attacking us, what could ya do!

I'd be going where I had family or friends hopefully.

• Advertisement

Why say ''new poster''? I can assure I am new but that aside you raise some points. I am not sure are you agreeing with me or not? hahah.

7 percent is a tiny number. It should be more like 80 percent for it to work. We are seen as a soft touch. I have many friends from many countries who love Ireland, work hard and alot harder than me yet even they have issues with the number of asylum seekers coming to Ireland. It ain't just the Irish who see it as a problem.

Advertisement