Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I thought the plans for Spencer Dock involved allowing services to northern line and both westbound lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not as I understand it.

It will be connected, but by a single track from the line down from East Wall Junction but I cannot see a crossover, which makes the use of the single track chord limited.

As far as I’m aware that will be used purely for depot moves.

There are certainly no plans in the public domain that include services terminating there from the Northern Line, only DART services the West and Southwest.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

This would require two things, which are unlikely or impossible:

1) a very sharp turn southwards towards the river after a steep incline from Northern line

2) closure of the freight line into Dublin port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭gjim

1 I can’t see where the “sharp turn southwards” comes from? It will skirt West road and Blythe ave.

2 This isn’t related to any new DART+ station and would have to happen or be managed anyway.

I found this report which was prepared for Irish Rail in 2020 and discusses in detail the issues I'm raising.

In this report you can see the TBM was supposed to start exactly where the Dart line is now being built, not to the East as you claim.

Option B2 in this report is the chosen option for Dart+ West. This option clearly outlines the massive conflict that is created for DU.

Please read this report and you'll conclude that DU will NOT happen in Docklands, if Dart+ West goes ahead as planned.

• Advertisement

@gjim just one extract from the report that confirms, without question, exactly what I'm trying to tell you.

There is a clear clash between the proposed station and the DU station as it will be located beneath. It is not possible to construct the DU station once the Docklands Station is built because the soil does not have suitable characteristics to allow excavation of a cavern beneath the station at the level the DU station platforms are located

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭prunudo

11m isn't actually that deep, only 4 more stories down. So not exactly the end of the world. I suppose from reading the rest of the comments, the real problem is, because there is no plan or commitment to DU, nobody knows the future orientation of the track. Might all be pie in the sky and a waste of money.

It's not 11m, it's 11m+8.5m+5m. That's almost 25m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What characteristics have the soil got that make it impossible to excavate?

Has soil like this been excavated anywhere in the world before?

I presume this means a TBM wouldn’t be able to excavate this soil either for the tunnel anyway- if this indeed where the tunnel would go?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dart Underground, if it goes ahead, and I'm not sure it will*, will go back to the start. Full consultations, full redesign, full route analysis.

I'd also guess, seeing as they've released their planning holds on all locations, that all stations bar SSG will be mined out, with no need for a large hole in the ground, unlike Metrolink. Pretty sure it would have required some mining anyway, but that's confirmed it in my eyes.

*The reason I am no longer sure if it'll happen is the capacity numbers. Dart+ will be that number from about 15000/20000(I can't remember the exact number) all the way up to 60000. DU will bring that number from 60000 up to 80000, and probably cost the same as the entire D+ project. Just not sure that those numbers can be justified anytime in the next 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If DART+ Tunnel* ever happens, it will only be possible on the basis of the following, both of which seem to be ignored in the conversation here;

1. The DART+ West Spencer Dock station ceases operation and all services temporarily terminate at the existing Docklands station (working under the operational station isn't going to happen)
    2. Tunnel boring starts at the western end and bores to the final Tunnel SD station location (i.e. soth of Mayor Street)

With 1., you excavate deeper through the first SD station to create the approach to the final SD station further south. The relocation could be minimised by keeping the DART+ West SD station operational for as long as possible. This means excavating the TBM extract shaft and new SD station south of Mayor Street before doing any further work north of Mayor Street, i.e. SD station continues to operate north of Mayor Street while works happen south of it.

2. then facilitats 1. because you don't need as much space at SD. Starting tunnelling in the city centre never made sense, it means all spoil has to be brought out from the city centre and all materials need to be brought into the city centre before entering the tunnel. It is far better to start tunnelling on the west side of the city near the motorway network which will make removal of soil and delivery of materials much easier. It also minimises disruption at SD as per 1. above.

*DU is dead, people need to stop thinking in terms of it. DART+ Tunnel will be a new project and not replicating previous intentions.

You're missing some key points. The surface Dart line is being built where the DU tunnel was supposed to emerge from the ground. The only place where a tunnel could now emerge (and connect with the Northern line), would cut off the freight line from the Port.

In any case, the Dart+ plans do not include any prep work for a tunnel. The report I linked above is very specific. It basically says "do the prep work now for a tunnel or the tunnel can't happen at this location".

• Registered Users Posts: 45 A1ACo

Noting above, if all the DART+ plans happen, would a ‘full-length’ DART Underground line be fully needed medium/ long-term?

IF - one of the main aims of DU had been to link the Cork Main-Line - into the City Centre proper(?) - i.e. to link Heuston Station, to the City Centre... could a DU tunnel terminate at Pearse Station area instead,.. and never (or later) have to cross under the Liffey, to go to the Spencer Dock area?

This may at least, have the benefit of bringing Greater Dublin Area (GDA) passengers on the DART+ Southwest line, directly to the south city centre (without having to go to the northside, via the Phoenix Park Tunnel, or via a change onto Luas Red line, or southside via buses),..

and could add the benefit of - new DU rail stations in Christchurch, and St. Stephens Green. 

Inter-city travellers could then also have an easier, though indirect link, changing at Heuston Station, onto DART+ Southwest, DU, to the South City Centre area (but not saying that the planned DART+ Southwest link, to northside, via Phoenix Park Tunnel, could not also happen)...

@gjim did you read the file I linked?

This argument has come up several times already. It would be good not to do it all over, again, in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Note the proposed Woodbrook station is planned to be open in early 2025 (according to local councillors in Shankill)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

EU has given Irish Rail 1.3m to study four tracking of the North Coastal Line between Connolly and Malahide.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/730ad-11million-in-european-funding-for-irish-transport-projects/

Post edited by Sad Professor on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Williamstown is the townland that Blackrock College is located in.

Historically it was also a fisherman's village before the construction of the D&KR cut it off from the sea, this survives in the area across from the College and beside Martello tower. The wall at back of it was old sea wall:

Would make sense as an interconnection point given the level of development at time (if one looks at old maps on Geohive)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

I think that as part of DART+ a few stations should be closed on the current line.

Kilbarrack - magnet for scumbags, only put up in the 70s, absolutely no point when Howth Junction is almost literally a stones throw away.

Bayside - I have never understood the point of this station. Howth Junction and Sutton both in close proximity. Also with the Howth branch line possibly becoming a shuttle service, less reason to keep it.

Clongriffin - no explanation needed. Sh/tty vanity project to serve a Celtic Tiger development that was never completed. The only real purpose for Clongriffin station is to serve as a magnet for local scumbags and to piss off passengers going to Portmarnock and Malahide with a pointless stop. Could possibility have some function if an airport spur is ever built, however.

Also the old Merrion station between Sidney Parade and Booterstown located just beside the level crossing should be reopened.

I won’t hold my breath on any of the above though.

I don't think anyone is going to hold their breath for those suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wouldn't agree with any of those suggestions. Kilbarrack and Bayside too far from nearby stations and Clongriffin is being completed right now:

"Vanity project" = badly needed housing as there is a housing crisis.

Merrion Gates is far too close to nearby existing stations. 1.8 km between them, you don't need a DART stop every 900 metres.

If Kilbarrack and Howth junction exist a stones throw awa from each other, why can’t Merrion? The old station building is still there, rotting away. It should be renovated and a new station opened at Merrion gates. I know a few people who live in the immediate area who want it reopened.

Before any discussions about new station, they need to improve access to all current stations. The platforms are 200m long and, generally, can only be accessed from one point.

Killester is a prime example. A short 80m walk from the N4 bus (in red) to the Dart actually takes 450m (in green).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Housing density in the vicinity of Bayside and Kilbarrack railway stations is far far higher than in the Merrion vicinity. There wouldn't be enough of a population in that small area to permit the building of a railway station there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If that station was re-opened, the level-crossing would be closed for a lot longer than at present as it would have to remain closed for the entire time trains are stopped in the station. Seeing as it is already a contentious level-crossing, I suspect your 'a few people who live in the immediate area who want it re-opened' would quickly find themselves in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Strange suggestions. Station demographics can change drastically. Look at Broombridge for example and rapid transit stations need to be close together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is already a plan to close Merrion Gates by diverting through the carparks of the catholic church and the carpark on the other side of the track. The design includes a bridge, but could use an underpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bizarre ideas - there are no plans to close any station.

Anyways there’s plenty of housing around Bayside on both sides of the railway and it’s about 1.8km in either direction from the previous and following stations.

Kilbarrack serves estates that would have a lengthy walk to Howth Junction or Raheny and it’s long established now.

The housing around Clongriffin is only to expand and in a big way, either side of the railway line. Closing that would be nuts.

There may be a point re the ongoing development of Clongriffin, but the existence of the Kilbarrack and Bayside stations still seams absolutely pointless to me.

Kilbarrack as I’ve said is almost literally spitting distance from Howth Junction, you can actually see the platforms clearly if you look up the track. It attracts local gurriers like a magnet, hence why there’s always security guys there. Howth Junction is a similar trouble spot for gurriers, but at least it serves a solid purpose as a junction station. It should be nuked.

There is no raison d'être for Bayside at all. It’s a few minutes walk from both Howth Junction and Sutton, it’s a small island platform station on a very short line that is probably going to be reduced to a shuttle service anyway. Get rid of it and keep the line as two stops.

Finally, I see the reopening of Merrion as imperative. It was one of the original stations on the Dublin-Kingstown line and it has a fine station building that is just left there to rot. The immediate area is also growing, with more hotels, shops and housing going up the past few years. With the level crossing issues being amended I see no reason why it shouldn’t be reopened. Much better to actually have a station there that’s being used than nothing, at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭prunudo

I remember talk about that plan a few years ago and looked like a good proposal. I think it was meeting local objections as per usual and presumed it was parked and kicked down the road.

Advertisement