Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you're objecting in the wrong place. Take your complaints to Moscow and see how far you get. Hopefully your demise won't be too slow and painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That was a bit much.

My one concern with them using cluster bombs is the potential for unexploded munitions to end up littering the Ukrainian landscape after the war. Would hate to see a potential landmine type situation where kids are picking them up ten years down the line and blowing themselves up.

Russia might be using them already but I suppose the last thing you want to be doing is adding even more unexploded bombs to the landscape.

A bit much what? These are conventional weapons and Russia has already used them. If these help to kill & maim larger numbers of Russian military that remain on Ukrainian territory, they'll have served their purpose. You hardly expect an invaded country to be gentlemanly about these things? If they help to serve the purpose of furthering the repulsion of Russian forces more speedily, well maybe many more Ukrainian lives will be saved. I'm sure you'd want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Because they are not the evil monsters that the Russians are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is still in the rumour sphere as no reliable source I usually follow has mentioned it yet, but OP himself is speculating on the source, will see if its got clout to it later, still, interesting if true

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

such an innocent view..

if you broke into my house, raped someone i love and robbed my kids... I would use anything on you to evicerate you..

Well, when the Russians are using White Phosphorus shells, that's the red line for me, everything that is available, no matter how unacceptable it may be to civilized Country's, should be used on them. They have put them selves beyond any kind of "Humanitarian" consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

These are Ukrainian towns and cities with Ukrainians living in them.

The correct analogy would be you hurting your own kids just so you could hurt the person that hurt them.....

Like crashing your own car into that persons house while you have your own kids in the back seat 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks like, just when they thought it was safe to go back in the water.....sooner or later, one of these missiles will get through. I imagine that it will work wonders for the " Crimean Property's for sale" Auctioneer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I get the concern by some on the cluster bombs issue.

I think there are 2 types of people who have reservations. Ones who are now jumping up and down calling USA and Ukraine war criminals for this and would never have even thought of saying a word against Russia who have been using them all along, even against civilian areas.

And I think there are some people who have genuine concerns about their use and dont think Ukraine should stoop as low to Russias level by using them.

Im not sure about it myself, I guess it would have to be really worth it in regards to helping to drive the Russians out.

I don't know how true this is but ive seen a couple of reports saying that the ones they are sending will have a much lower failure rate. If that is true and they are kept out of any populated areas hopefully any danger to civilians will be kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

A Russian soldier in Ukraine is a lot more dangerous to the Ukrainian people than an unexploded cluster munition. Priorities.

I doubt very much that there's any love lost between the Russian Army and the Kadyrov's ,,going back a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's a long trip from Moscow to Minsk. Lots of rivers or ditches or ravines. If he did fly doors have a habit of opening

Since a very long time ago, Armies have been using anti-personnel weapons in various guises. The Vietnamese were past masters at it, using just what they had to hand,,,,sharpened bamboo stake being a favourite, and they were very inventive at it too. Get stuck with a sharpened bamboo stick with its end coated in poison, and you were in for a tough time. You can go up the scale then, to using explosives, which Cluster Munitions are, but there are not the only ones. There are many similar death dealin / injury dealing devices out there. Cluster Munition is just a different name for the same thing.

Even to breaking into my house, raping my Wife / Daughter, and robbing my kids? Which is what you are suggesting the Ukrainian's should do, reduce themselves to the same level as the Russian Monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

I wonder about these arms limitations. If an invaded country was allowed to use Sarin gas, mustard gas, napalm etc. wars would not be so protracted and there would be less suffering and death. If Ukraine could have used these weapons this war might be over by now.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

To a large extent, Ukraine are fighting with one arm tied behind their backs. But after a white phosphorus attack, if Ukraine retaliated with an equally deadly weapon, the Orcs would not be long getting the message, when you use Phosphorus, we will retaliate using XXX,. Would not be long before the phosphorus bombing attacks stop. The question is will Ukraine do or even be allowed to do it like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The trouble with this talk of cluster bombs and hesitation talk. Is it's giving Putin ideas now that he can now get away with having an accident at the nuclear power station and there'll be no retaliation.

This talk should never have come to the service of politicians in the west.

Shows awful weakness and cowardice that Putin will dine on and drive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I would say the exact opposite. It shows Putin that nothing is off the table in terms of weapons that will be used against Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

To my knowledge, unlike cluster munitions, there are no countries which have signed a prohibition treaty on WP munitions. Hey are, in effect, less legally questionable.

It is true that the use of additional cluster munitions may result in additional post-war casualties, but if they can reduce the amount of during-war casualties, then that becomes a less obvious balance. At least the Ukrainians have an opportunity to record where it laid its own cluster munitions, as opposed to the Russian mines and clusters which are everywhere and doubtless not recorded for post-war efforts.

Master of the Universe

That would make a nice sound bite, but it's irresponsible logic. You could use the same argument to justify absolutely any type of ordinance. Russian soldiers are always going to be more dangerous to the Ukrainian people than X device, therefore they can use X device with impunity.

Lets break out the anti-personnel mines, mustard gas and napalm so.

Especially if it helps to bring the war to an end. If you even think for a minute, the sheer Nrs of munition's used these last 16 mths, by both sides, and the % of unexploded munitions, before you even get to the different types of mines, from anti-tank to anti- personal mines, its simply staggering. It will be many years, before Ukraine can be declared mine / UXO free, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the savagery of the Red Army, the brutality the Ukrainians have endured under Putin, the greatly more extreme murder and brutality of the Soviet Union, which he wants to recreate, then everything is on the cards.

When you are fighting for the survival of your country and people, everything should be up for consideration

Post edited by Danzy on

I'm hoping once the war is over there would be an international collation to help Ukraine de-mine all the UXO. There's also the fact the sheer size of Ukraine, that most UXO is buried in fields, so not like people will be strolling through it every day (farming aside). There's also the ingenuity factor, there was a Ukrainian teen demonstrating a drone with a metal detector just programmed to run up and down a field scanning, obviously taking GPS locations of hits.

As for the cluster munitions, Ukraine has stated they will be only used on the fortified Russian defenses and not cities, these for the most part are in fields. They will record all locations they are used. I assume the same field will have to be de-mined eventually and the little bomblets will be less dangerous to the de-mining vehicles than an anti tank mine. People critising Ukraine using cluster munitions (despite both Russia & Ukraine already using them, and Turkey supplying some to Ukraine already) seem to think Ukraine will be indiscriminately firing them into cities or parks etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Allowing Ukraine to use more cluster munitions on putins military as a balance to the repeated use of such weapons by putin's invading force in Ukraine sounds fair to me. It also raises the question in my mind that if we can clearly see putin has turned the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant into a weapon by adding explosives to it would it not be fair to give Ukraine a nuclear warhead with a long range missile that they could use to strike anywhere in russia they choose if putin decides to make use of the weapon he has created in Zaporizhzhia?

Sounds fair to me anyway but I guess it might also be termed as irresponsible logic. Much safer option is just to flood Ukraine with any weapons in stock of its supporters that could help them destroy putin's military as quickly as possible and while unexploded munitions being added to the environment there is not a good thing it is an issue they will have to clean up anyway once they eliminate putin's invaders and liberate their country.

Yes, it will have to be an international demining effort. And any new improved mine detection implement's are more than welcome of course. But for every new detection / removal method designed, there's an opposite effort in making them even more undetectable. Drones with metal detecting equipment, are for sure a great idea.....no human interaction on the ground at that stage anyway, so lessens the risk. But now they have minimum metal mines, both anti-personnel and anti-tank. So no matter which way you look at it, mines are very bad news.

It's one new solution. Slap ground penetrating radar on another drone to follow it up. Slap a massive metal roller to a remote controlled tank (or those giant quarry trucks) and roll the fields etc... What I'm getting at is technology has come so far and become so cheap, that there are options. Plenty of videos of farmers in Ukraine jerry-rigging their tractors to be operated remotely. The most heavily mined areas are crop fields, so there will be a priority on them being de-mined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The sooner they're cleared the better otherwise they sink into the ground when it rains.

Cluster bombs are horrific but if they're weapons of last resort to defend your own land I can understand why you'd use them. Knowing exactly where they were used will help clearing them after the conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

You're new around here you must be one of the naïve pacifists that's showed up since the cluster thing was in the news. Russia is waging total war on Ukraine who have taken every effort to act inside the modern conventions. Trying to breakdown an existential crisis into a fcuking algebra equation? stay in your lane head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

That...and the bizzare use of zombie Boards accounts that have had no activity for years and then suddenly burst to life on this very thread with pro-Kremlin posts.

It's somewhat clever in the sense that they've learned that we'll automatically reject new-reg posters spreading Russian propiganda. But only somewhat since what they are doing is also clearly artifical.

The quicker Ukraine wins this war the less people will die, (both Ukrainian and Russian) therefore a weapon that can help with that is justified.

Russia has been using these munitions since day 1 (on civilians), where is your post bemoaning their extensive use by them?

Mmmm.... Naplam, bet a few Ukrainians would love the smell of that wafting up from ex-Russian positions on the morning breeze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To this flimsy armchair general, it seems like those wishing Ukraine not to have cluster bombs should despair that their main ask hasn't been fulfilled yet - that is, aircraft. If this is all to clear that double line of defensive trenches, then it'd be a lot less morally dubious had they been given the bombers and strike craft that could clear them just as quickly. Or at the very least, attack them without the worry about a lack of air superiority. That in 2023, any army is able to not just keep parity with an enemy, but actively push it back and without the aid of air support, is nothing short of miraculous (again, to this ignorant armchair sitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's a testiment to the quality and sheer grit of the AFU soldiers compared to their Russian foe.

The Russians had the advantage of scale, numbers, and huge border to move around without fear of attack. Early on they also had stronger morale collectively and Ukriane was in real danger of thier capital being taken while they fought back with their own Soviet-era hand-me-downs. But the Russians failed, and they have continued to fail to this very day. They have failed in the tactical war, and they have failed in the logistical war. They tried to enflamed a culture war within Ukriane with the Russian speakers there and just galvanised everyone into a single national identity, which is possibly their greatest failure...they had reenforced the spirit of their own enemy.

The AFU are proffesional and they are motivated. They know why they are there, and what the stakes are. This is for their home, and everyone they care about, and not about a cabal of self-agrandnising bell-ends in Moscow wanting plant little Russian flags on the the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I think you'll see that poster Oisín has been around a deal longer than you or you in your current guise. They've also been active on this thread over several months iirc, with the same sort of equivocation when it comes to this war.

Master of the Universe

Looks at my boards.ie join date.

Looks at your boards.ie join date.

Okay chief.

I have absolutely zero issue with Russian soldiers being blown to bits with cluster bombs. Therefore I don't see why I should be bemoaning them using cluster bombs. They're absolute fuckers and scum for doing so, but that's not the issue I'm bringing up at all.

I'm talking about post war legacy issues. Russia don't give a damn if Ukraine is a desolate war torn landscape once it's all done, as long as they win. So they'll use whatever.

Ukraine on the other hand need to think about the post war condition of their country as you know, they'll be the ones actually inhabiting it. Them potentially adding their own unexploded cluster bombs to an already war torn landscape is something which needs consideration.

Again, no issue with death from above, blow Russians into smithereens, it's the civilians being blown to bits years down the line that's something worth thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

You'd hope a large amount of taurus cruise missiles but probably the leopard 1s.

• Advertisement

Strapping a roller to the front of a tank is an old idea. I saw it used a long time ago in Grozny. The tank rolled over the mine and blew it, but because the roller was on two extended arm's attached to the tractor, it was just lifted up into the air, before falling down and on to the next mine. Grand, until the Chechens decided to link two mines together, placing them the same distance apart as from the centre of the tank, to the centre of the roller. The first mine had its trigger removed, and linked to the trigger of mine Nr 2. So the tank pushed the roller over mine nr 1, ( no reaction) but when it hit mine nr2, both mines exploded simultaneously. Bye bye, tank and roller, but in any case, the roller was only good for 3 / 4 mines. Would be great if they had drones carrying equipment which could detect explosive's and could map the locations of mines. Metal detectors, which were and are still used in mine detection, can only function in mines that have metal in them, but there are mines now that can carry a 12 kg explosive charge but only use a few grams of metal. So you have one side taking a step or move, and the other countering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

myself i think Ukraine should be given what they need,be that the cluster bombs/amuntion all the way up to jet fighters,helicopters etc...as an aside i seem to remember reading about Vietnam at the time,the US had an airplane type called either "spooky" or "puff the magic dragon" (aye the song was popular around that time) i maybe wrong as i know next to nothing about either airplanes or guns but i remember reading that it had at least 2 of the electric type gatling guns mounted in the doors,the plane would be called to an area and do a left bank,turn on the guns and pretty much the whole area was blanketed with gunfire...wondering to myself if they have any of those planes left?could be kind of handy for Ukraine...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Nah horseshit he hasn't made a noteworthy post on this thread that I can remember. You iirc incorrectly. Pretty pathetic seeing you lot trying to use post counts as leverage, really childish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also suspect Kyiv were also told, in no uncertain terms from Biden & co., that if the bombs were deployed in Russia all this support they had been receiving might sudden evaporate in an instant. I'm sure Zelensky was canny enough to know this himself, but I'd be shocked if there weren't some off-the-record conversations between the White House and Kyiv about how and where the munitions could be used.

The problem with that line of reasoning is, will Ukraine hold their admittedly war torn Country, or will Vladimir Putin have it? Because while Ukraine have no say in the condition it will be in, their very survival as a nation is at stake, and Putin has stated this. First things first, and the priority at the moment is kick the Russians out of Ukraine, using the most effective weapons available, be they Cluster bombs or "other" ? i have absolutely no compunctions about Ukraine using cluster munitions, and believe that the US manufactured ones have a very low failure rate, plus they are time fused, if they don't explode on impact, then they will decay within a certain time limit. Russian / Chinese / Korean cluster bombs, with much higher failure rate, don't have this inbuilt protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

Seemingly Putin has met with Prigozhin.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

"I have absolutely zero issue with Russian soldiers being blown to bits with cluster bombs. Therefore I don't see why I should be bemoaning them using cluster bombs."

They have been using them on civilians.

"Them potentially adding their own unexploded cluster bombs to an already war torn landscape is something which needs consideration."

What makes you think the Ukrainians haven't considered that, do you think they are stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

So Turkey is looking for the EU door to be open for them before opening NATO door for Sweden. Let’s face it, there’s zero appetite for Turkey to join the EU so who knows how this will play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Bit rich from them. At the end of the day not all the countries in the EU are members of Nato would be different if that was the case maybe something could be done there. I just hope that some Nato countries who are in NATO don't or are not allowed put pressure on non Nato countries who are in the EU to have to suck this up for the better good. NATO and the EU are different and this should be 100% the case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement