Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well at the moment I am doing it on the fly, so its getting more looking at than actual work. I dont want to make work for myself by doing something silly.

So....looking at and coffee will reap rewards.😉

Boiler is out now, and just doing the tidying to get ready for the new boiler, so what to remember for the next time or anyone else..

When removing the boiler, I had to remove the oven brick first as it was locking in the boiler.

Once that was removed I had to remove the fire cement that ran vertically down the rear right hand side of the boiler that also held in the oven firebrick.

Then I removed the fire cement around the top and bottom fire door opes. As the boiler runs from the back to the front, and is then sealed around these opes.

At the left hand side panel at the back of the cooker is a tek screw that connects into the bracket on the left hand side of the boiler in the location of the stay rod.

Also removed the rear panel held on by 2 screws into the back of the boiler. Its to hold on the panel to keep in insulation at the back of the boiler.

When this panel is removed if you look at the back of the cooker behind the boiler, you will see 2 screws on the right hand outside back boiler panel. These are the screws that hold the boiler in the cooker.

Once these are out a few taps of a hammer on the back panel should push the boiler backwards. Steady now becasue the stay rod at the rear left hand side will connect with the bracket. So on my cooker, once I was clear at the front end of the boiler from the door opes, I was able to lift the rear part of the boiler up about 3 " to clear the stay rod. Once that was done, its able to lift up, and outwards from the cooker.

Its heavy, so best to have 2 people if you can. I didn't, so i lifted it myself.

Thats what worked for me. I cant claim that its the right way, but it was my way.

I will post up a few pics later to clarify the brackets on the boiler left hand face that fowls the stay rod, so needs to be lifted.

And should anyone complain about high pricing by plumbers for this replacement. Its a tricky , heavy bit of work so they will be earning their money. Its not something I would like to do for a living.

I have a new boiler souced at below half the price of waterford Stanley, so just have to source new bricks now, and refit.

Pics.

Here is the old boiler removed. Viewed from the back showing the 2 fixing holes on the left hand side for the boiler to the cooker mounting. And the centre mounts where the rear cover panel along with insulation attach to.

This picture shows the boiler viewed from the right hand side of the boiler, showing the pipes pointing to the back of the cooker. Notice the square U shaped bracket on the boiler that the left hand end panel attaches to.Dont forget to remove this, or you will never be able to remove the boiler.

This is the boiler viewed from the front, clearly marked showing the access door ope for loading the fire. Notice the small firebrick on the bottom of the boiler.

Th

is is the boiler viewed from the oven side of the boiler. As its viewed now, the front is on the left and the rear is on the right, and we are looking down from the top. You can see the little hook tab inside the boiler for hanging the summer burning fire plates.

I sat the new boiler into place to familiarize myself with the fitting as it proceeds. Its from a well known boiler manufacturer who is local to me, and a family business in operation over 40 years. Quality appears to be very bit as good as it was 40 years ago when i bought other boilers from the same place.

You can see the L shaped bracket at the rear where the side panel is tek screwed to. Checking all around to make sure no obstructions are anywhere, I just need to finally clean the base where it sits at the front. And then it attaches from the rear into the rear central part by two 6mm screws into the edge bracket.

Looking down from the top, at the back of the cooker, we can see the two slotted holes to take the 2 screws for fixing. If you look to the left in the picture, you can see the 2 box iron mounts that take the 2 tek screws to hold the rear cover panel and insulation, over the boiler.

Boiler in now and fired up.

Working fine, one small intermittent drip on a connection that was previously fitted years ago. Pulling at the pipework probably did this as its not a new connection. I will tweak it tomorrow when its cool at the back of the cooker.

I also put in a drain on the new return pipe from the boiler for future handiness. Thing is I put it in a place that makes it tricky to get at when its all in and fitted🤣

Not to worry I made a crows foot spanner to get access, and it worked beautifully.

I will post up a few pics later.

• Advertisement

Made from an old box spanner I had , and a 13mm x 1/2" drive socket.

Done the job, and cheaper than buying it.😉

This is where I foolishly put the fitting.

So , thinking cap on and this is what I came up with. Fully slot the bottom of the box iron, so it drops on the pipe and slides up to the fitting. And weld on the 1/2" drive socket, for the bar and ratchet to turn.

Here is how to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hindsight being the greatest invention ever made, its no surprise that if we were doing something second time round, it would be done different!!!, And as for 4th or 5th time....would bear very little resemblance to the original !!!🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eagle owl

Tim , it’s Paul here, your type3 contact from Cork !!

Great thread on your 1967 

Anyhow regarding your late callipers/ pistons , I’ve bought rebuilt callipers- early - from BUDWED  about 10 years ago - they do exchange which is cheaper of course. 

Piston - ref - same for all type3 

https://budweg.com/product/?article=234201

Do they sell separate? ??

Anyhow I have a good set . Contact me on PM to discuss.  

Calliper ref would be as early type 4

BUDWED Parts  34412 34413

ATE calliper kits should be available for rebuilding too 

VW 411 SALOON 1.7 PETROL 8/1968 - 8/1973

BRAKE CALIPER

REPAIR KIT

PISTON

SEAL, PISTON

GUIDE SLEEVE KIT

REPAIR KIT, PARKING BRAKE HANDLE

CONTROL ELEMENT, PARKING BRAKE CALIPER

Front Left

Front Right

So...back to the grind. I was checking out one or two things on the kombi for the last week or so. But its all variant now.

I gave a couple of coats of covert ox rust convertor to the left hand bulkhead panels, and brush applied a coat of seam sealer for the time being, until I get the other side to the same condition. Then i took a copy template of this panel, to mark out the lines of the panel on the opposite side

Finally I rough shaped the top section, and called it a day.

After i made the template I rough cut the top horizontal panel, and trial fitted it in to trim it a bit nearer to size

• Advertisement

That valance is looking very presentable now.. far from its previous very sad and sorrowful condition! Well done!. 🙂

I haven't been skiving, i have been concentrating on the other valance. Sadly its every bit as bad. So angle grinder cutting discs, sander , and welder, back in play.

So whole panel was cut out to reveal a firm door post, and inner heat channel

Bit of digging around the door post bottom, which needed to be sorted.

Tacked in a filler so I could proceed with the large valance panel.

Large panel tacked in , and moving on to the horizontal bulkhead section.

Panel offered up for marking and trimming

Once i had the upper panel section made, I concentrated on tacking and welding to the lower section

Looking at the front of the car, I noticed a small descrepancy when trial fitting the new inner panel About a 10mm gap. So i made a former to fit the new panel perfectly from a piece of ash. And then clamped the ash into the panel forcing it inwards to fit the perpendicular panel.

Trial fitted the inner bought panel, and drilled for the spot welds to match my suspension tank support steel.

Same again on the right hand side, and everything is fitting up nicely

Small patch to be cut out and repaired with new metal. So the inner panel is now fully welded in, and the front clip was trial fitted today, and plan is to weld it in tomorrow.

At long last I finally got the front clip tacked in , and all seems to fit nicely. I just need a couple of hours tomorrow to tidy it up, and weld in any areas that I need to do. Then grind up the welds, treat with rust treatments, apply seam sealer, aaand then after a few days prime it to protect it. Next task is probably going to be the 2 cills which need replacing. I'm pretty sure that the heater channels are ok, but I will know when i take the cills off.

Just a small bit of spot welding along the bottom edge of the front clip, and then onto the sills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Epic work Kadman! Love the bit of Cardboard Aided Design a few posts above :)

Thanks. I went through as much cardboard as metal for them bulkheads😉

Its something I learnt when I was shoemaking. For smaller sections its handy to use masking tape in alternate layers criss crosed fashion to give the pattern strength. Then just peel it of, and hey presto a self adhesive template.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shoemaking has a funny history in Ireland.

My dad always worked with his hands, ended up making dentures for the Irish Army (and most people had terrible teeth in those days, and an army does march on its stomach!) but in the 1950s, long before I was born he did shoemaking for a while.

I found an old last in the shed many years later and asked him what it was and he was clearly embarrassed about it.

Shoemaking was taught to inmates of industrial schools so it was regarded as somewhat shameful for anyone who had not been in one.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Just to put your mind at rest, I was never placed in any establishment " at her majestys pleasure " to learn shoemaking🙂

Not that I shouldn't have been for some of my indiscretions. But I learnt my shoe making from a 7th generation shoemaker who now makes both uillean pipes as well as museum pieces of historic shoe ware.

• Advertisement

That doorpiller bottom was one sick looking pierce, and it has the heater ducting inside it as well ( as if you needed the aggro!!! ) But coming on fine, nonetheless. Starting to look very presentable now around the spare wheel well.

Door pillar bottoms always rust out. Due to the fact that the wing bottom is very effective at providing a scoop to hold onto bucket loads of crap that soak up water like a sponge and hold iot there. I tacked on the end piece so that I have decent metal to continue the sill and heater channel down along the side. Luckily I dont have to make them as I bought them NOS 12 months ago. Just have to provide the heater channel pipe, and maybe a round cover as I did for the fastback

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That would work well, I'd say. The ends could be jury-rigged to take the flexible parts. Actually, having said that, you could probably run flexible piping all the way along the sill's and up to the windscreen vents? Its a very tricky bit, and the metal is paper thin if you want to keep it original. ( unless of course, you have managed to source the factory original parts? ) Those bottom pillar corners are always trouble some. The passenger sides always gave trouble in cars where the passenger seat was rarely used ( yes they existed) and the bottom hinges tended to seize up, and in later years, would actually tear out of the pillar.

The vertical windscreen ducting on my fastback is within the doorpost and up to the windscreen, and its metal, so no need to change that. I made my own galvanised heater channels from 1.5mm galvanized sheeting. Its a great job, but had to be careful on welding galvanised. I over shot the pipe length by about 15mm, so had to dispense with the outlet into the rear footwell. It made little difference anyway as I used to re route all the heat coming into a beetle, type 3 directly to the wind screen first any way. WE always had brilliant heaters in vw's despite what other folks had. The main problem with vw heating, beetle or otherwise was cabin pressure. If you were forcing air into the cabin from the car, with closed wirndows, then positive pressure in the cabin would restrict the heat coming in, rsult was poor heat. Leave the 1/4 window open by 1/8" result was good heat.

There were little tips'n'tricks that improved the beetle no end. Another was due to the high volume of paint on a beetle body, it created high resistance and resulted in poor earths at the lights, hence the rep of dim lights on a beetle. We used to re run all the headlight and dim earths direct back to the battery, result was brilliant lights, both head and dip as well as spots.

As for our engine tuning, we had sweet running engines like this.

https://youtu.be/RoG7AMZOIYI

Beware of the spatters from galvanized metal !! LOL. And the welds will need careful cleaning and rust proofing, but you know this anyway. The heater ducting to the windscreen via the door pillar's rarely if ever gave trouble, except at the very base, where as you mentioned, moisture was trapped and it was a source of rust and corrosion. That was why I suggested flexible piping, but your solution worked fine too. As for the Beetle's with the 6v electrics, yes that independent earth trick worked too. I remember the first proof of that I saw proof of that was when I was fitting a set of spotlights to a new car for a customer, and wired it directly to the battery. The car being brand new at the time, the lights were still pretty good, but over time, they deteriorated, but the spots kept their brightness.

Compared to what was to come afterwards engine wise, the VW flat 4 was simplicity itself. I remember a customer of ours, a commercial traveler ( don't think that they exist anymore?? getting 300'000 miles from his VW Variant, before replacing the engine, and driving on. Religiously he changed the engine oil every 4'000 miles. This was at a time when with other makes, if you got 100'000 miles without a major overhaul , you were doing good. But that balancing act was pretty good !!! LOL

Been off air for a while, due to a major pc meltdown. Bad enough that I couldn't fix it with a welder and angle grinder. But hopefully all sorted now, and back on track.

Since my past post I have finished welding in the new metal and parts on the front, and now moving down the drivers side cill. I had thought that I would get away with a new outer cill, which I had purchased from my German supplier. But alas no. On Inspection the heater channel bottoms that bolt to the floor pan, have significant rust damage. Option 1. Replace the bottom face of the channel with all new fixing nuts and weld in the piece. Tricky enough if the body is still attached to the pan.

Option 2. Cut out the heater channel, and weld in a new one with the body still attached to the floor pan. Trickier option than option 1 but doable....maybe.

Option 3. Call it a day, and part out the car.......

Next to do is remove the back seat for a closer inspection, then pull my remaining hair out, make a decision, stick to it ....and move on.

Thinking cap now placed securely on the old noggin for the remainder of the afternoon..............👨‍🎓

Inspection done and decision made.

The heater channel bottom needs replacing, which I think I can manage on the car, once I remove the heater channel pipe. Its only barely welded in to the section in a couple of spots. Once thats out it gives me room to see what I am doing to proceed.

Plan is to fabricate a bottom panel once I have the old one removed. Worst case scenario is I cant remove the bottom only, and will then consider removing the entire channel.

Decision made, and now to remove the thinking cap, and put it away for a while until i need it again.

• Advertisement

Here are some pictures of the part of the heater channel after the rusty outer cill was removed

The second picture shows the shiny top face of the heater channel. Looking directly at the face of the picture, you can see the very rusty cover piece that protects the tubular pipe that carrys the heat along the inside of the channel. You can also see the rubber weal that is placed on the floor pan, and then the body is lowered onto the strip

In the third picture you can see how the ruust has damaged the cover strip that protects the tube underneath it.

The fourth picture shows the panel behind where the rear wing is situated. Strangely enough it has a rust converter applied to it at some stage. Probably because the rear wing had a rust whole through it. Its the black area of the panel

The last picture shows the bottom area of the rear panel behind the rear wing. Here you can see 2 buckets of sand from the beach in Ardmore. Rust area here is significant, but easy to access. So as you can see the heater channel is going to be the challenge . A lot of my vw friends who own type 3's like this are only too familiar with these types of repairs on fastbacks and squarebacks. Other beetle owners think I am mad to be doing it🤣

Advertisement