Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

An awful lot of words, multiple posts and you still can't give a straight answer. If you're so sure of it, it should be pretty easy.

If the Ulster Fry and Nordie Tayto (which I agree is vastly superior to Free Stayto) is the best youre coming up with, maybe it needs a bit of work.

Also, the repeated, 'you guys' as if I'm not included.....I'm from the North; once more I have to ask, are you asserting that only Ulster Protestant culture is Northern Irish? Not quite as inclusive and cross community as you suggest if a Fermanagh native isn't part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I understood you said you had made a decision to go live in the neighbouring country because you didn’t like it up here. That’s you opting out, not me excluding you.

guys spin this any way you like, I have far more in common with nationalists in the north than either southerners or English.

If you move to England would you stop being Northern Irish, Downcow? I moved because I was fed up with the bullshit politics and because I didn't want my family growing up with our bullshit.

You keep being defensive and telling us that it is totally different, yet you still won't give a single concrete example. I suspect it's because you're avoiding acknowledging that what you consider, 'OWC's' culture is essentially just Ulster Protestant culture and you don't want to admit it.

Prove me wrong.

Guys you really don’t want to know. Francie has just made a meaningless list of things with no specifics. This is just silly now but I will try again. Here’s a few things that are different:

accent

money

taxes

call to prayer on national tv

Violent sectarian conflict and all that goes with that eg deciding where to drink, play sport, etc based on community background

A celebrated military history in ni

traditional food differences - yes the Ulster fry And people tell me you don’t have our staple diet of ‘gravy half and halfs’, crisp pieces, etc

colcannon

big shops restricted Sunday ipening

education systems

free prescriptions / doctors etc NHS

Public holidays

separate national football teams

cost of drink

ROI had many decades of tourism we are only experiencing that influence in last decade or two

i could go on and on

Not a single one of those things are unique to the North, Downcow. Half of them would be enough to diffentiate between fellas a county over. Another chunk are back into, 'Ulster Protestant' exclusives, and the rest are just effects of being legally distinct states. Square root of f*ck all culture in there. A few of them are even all island Irish like colcannon. You're sh*tting the bed on this one pal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I take it you do not travel far from your home. The Derry accent is quite different to either of the Belfast accents - the Catholic one or the Protestant one. [British troops were originally taught to distinguish between them].

Most of your list is true for the whole island, not just your bit.

Money and taxes - yea we have both here as well as colcannon. Colcannon - which I thought was a Dublin traditional dish.

We have educations systems here too, and public holidays as well. I would expect that a UI would also have July 12th as a holiday.

NHS is on its knees because it did not get the Brexit bonus from the lie on the side of the Big Red Bus. Anyway, I thought they were all on strike - first time in 75 years. Reports are that a GP appointment might take weeks, and A&E waits are days.

I think life would be better for of those in NI when there is a UI. We look forward towards the next decade and next century, not backwards to the 1690s and the hatred that was everywhere then.

You are right about one thing. You certainly do go on and on and on - repeating nonsense.

Haha. Hook line and sinker. I don’t think anyone in ni will have ever heard of colcannon. I googled differences and it can up. I had never heard of the word or the dish in my life. So very very funny that you singled it out as the one that was def all-island. You make my point brilliantly for me.

enjoy you colcannon and I’ll stick to my ‘half & half’

Sam you done a fionn with the colcannon. Next time I’m on hols I must try your dish. Next time you are up here ask for a half & half, they are to die for.

of course there are local accents, but there is a very clear distinction between ni and roi. They mix a little in places like south Armagh. In fairness Donegal is the only southern country (and of course it’s the most northern county) that has a northern twang

I was in cork with a group of northerners last year and everyone was amazed we couldn’t even get a gravy chip. The cork ones hosting us said they had never heard of the like.

I've been eating colcannon and champ both in Fermanagh since the day I was born, Downcow. You're proving the point rather than dismissing it. You've probably never had boxty either.

And still you can't quantify the unique, unifying, 'OWC' culture we supposedly share.

I disagree. These are not little snippets. Here is the OO and GAA sharing some respect tonight again. If you read the comments from both sides you’ll see this behaviour all round is welcomed and not that unusual We are building Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Since when is an accent a cultural difference?

Or what you put on your chips.

Regional differences in diet exist here as well and the Cork accent is different to a northern accent like the Monaghan one, we are like Fermanagh people eating their boxty all culturally Irish.

I'd put any amount of money on that my native Northern Irish accent is a damn sight closer to the Donegal accent than it is to yours and all.

You've literally just tried to point out a North/South difference that I've made clear isn't one, you're making post after post and you still haven't been able to define a single damn thing that is unique about the culture of, 'OWC'. You've even tried to claim the fecking NHS as something uniquely Northern Irish, or your bloody accent.

Drop the bullsh*t. Give me a single thing that would be considered a point of cultural note anywhere else in the world.

This is important to me; what cultural points are you worried about losing should Unification occur?!

It’s not going to happen. We’ve had this conversation before and nothing culturally distinct was offered then either.

Accents? 😁😁

Sometimes I don’t know why I bother and this is getting tiresome. You are trying to argue that there are no cultural, identity, experiential differences between the north and south or that are common accross ni. It’s nonsense.

here’s what Wikipedia says about culture. When you limit it to dance and language, just because you like dance and language, it’s a nonsense. But that aside. Let you guys answer a question for a change.

could you tell me how eg a young man who lives in tallagt, loves football, supports Man Utd and Celtic, enjoys raves, etc is culturally Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i grew up in omagh and the only time you hear of a 'half and half' is when people talk about pints in britain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres cultural difference within the north itself between those who wish to walk over others. we see it today all over the north with the flegs on the bombfires. do the orange order own pallet factories?

You are limiting that young lad to the sum of all the things you think are not Irish.

Honestly your argument is totally transparent because it is wafer thin.

I don't know why you bother myself; I would've thought it would have been much easier to give a few examples of the culture you stated was so great instead of hours of dodging the question and whataboutery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@downcow

The only thing I can think of that is culturally identified with NI is the deep hatred exhibited by certain groups for 'them'uns' who have a different religious belief. I think there is a label for those people whose whole life is taken up by such deep hatred.

It is matched by some white English people who have a deep hatred for other English people who are not white. These types are labelled racists by most of the other English people. Now there is a small group in Ireland who are like minded, but they are very few.

Now, Ireland is showing itself to be a very tolerant place. If we object to, say an OO march, it is not because it is OO, but because its intent is show a nasty side of intolerance and hatred.

Get out more, travel around Ireland. See what you are missing.

I am reminded of a story from biblical times. A traveller was staying in an inn of his way home from Athens, and had breakfast in the morning. There were two other travellers who were staying on their way to Athens and they were both anxious the know what the Athenians were like.

He first fell into conversation with the first who asked him about the Athenians. His reply was to ask the traveller what the people were like from his home place. The reply he got was that there were great - generous and friendly - could not meet nicer. He answered that the traveller would find the Athenians the same.

When, later he spoke to the second traveller, he was told him that the people in his home place were nasty and mean, and would hardly give you the time of day. He answered that the second traveller would find the Athenians the same.

Downcow, you need to get out more, and be kind to those you meet on your travels. Open your mind. Remember, you catch more wasps with honey than with vinegar.

• Advertisement

Francie just answer the question. There are a few of you claiming nonsense in the last few posts and putting down every example I give of things common to most northerners that are not common to southerners. (We even have someone on who claims to live in the north and has never heard of a gravy half & half).

tell me what it is that makes the young lad I mentioned, culturally Irish?

Oh yes, you remind me of another cultural difference. The arrogance in Ireland that thankfully is missing in most in NI. That “we. Are better than the black north, the English, etc. we have the best dance, language and music. We are the very essence of what culture means. Nothing about us is offensive and we never done any harm to anyone. We are non sectarian, non racist, non homophobic, etc, etc and everybody wants to be us” 🙄

……and the northerners are so stupid that they don’t even know to want to join with us. We want them and they should know they’d be happier joining our beautiful culture

I did answer.

All the other stuff about him you fail to mention when you cherrypick things about him to suit your slant.

He has a similar heritage in literature, drama, music, history, language etc to you downcow.

Is a person in Yorkshire who doesn't know what a Cornish Pastie is culturally NOT British? No, you would never be stupid enough to claim that.

Your argument is so transparent when you limit the considerations...anyone could do that.

Maybe answer this question if you can @downcow

If there was a UI tomorrow what is it you would miss/not be able to do culturally?

I.E. What would disappear culturally for you?

Can you answer that question?

Francie you never answer questions. Just ask and then complain about the answers.

let me turn your silly question back at you to help you grasp what you are doing. Please answer it!

If Ireland rejoined the Uk tomorrow what is it you would miss/not be able to do culturally?

I.E. What would disappear culturally for you?

Can you answer that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Northern Ireland is unquantifiable at the moment because it's still ruled directly from Westminster.

Sinn Fein and the DUP may be popular but they don't deliver local representation, for one side anyway.

In a democracy you get the government you deserve. If the people of Northern Ireland want to keep voting for parties who deliver no government that's up to them.

The rest of the island should stand well back until they're ready to work with each other first then we'll talk.

So I think you are telling us that the young lad in Liverpool, Belfast, Dublin and Cardiff are all equally culturally Irish? There different experiences mean nothing culturally and identity-wise? Or maybe you can define how they are culturally different?

In my world culture and identity are everything about your shared daily practices / interests / etc. It’s really not about whether your great uncle recites old Irish poems, your granny can sing the SS in Irish or your second cousin dresses up every so often and dances to fiddly-dee music.

it’s hard to have this discussion when our starting points are so different

Yes, I can.

If we rejoined I think the British have advanced a fair bit since they controlled Ireland. We would not have an attempt to wipe out the use of our native language, we would be allowed enough personal freedoms to express ourselves, our cultural pursuits would be supported and funded.

We would be able to indulge our cultural pursuits in music, sports, literature, poetry, drama, dance etc as the British now have a huge appreciation of elements of our culture downcow. That's your culture too.

We are now a strong, vibrant and confident enough culture that nothing would disappear.

• Advertisement

I am telling you that you are selecting things about this 'young lad' that don't define him completely.

You can do that because your starting point is derision. You are not interested in taking on board anything but your own bias. And you don't understand what your own culture is TBH. The Orange is just as much a part of my heritage and culture as the GAA is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement