Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Wonder will NK appear in shades on Tuesday 😅

You are not suggesting here that there is a conspiracy or ONE BIG CLUB to ride the public without a saddle called RTE. I certainly hope not.

374/11208 is only the beginning gentlemen.

Good night and good luck to each and every one of you.

This is going to be some week indeed and a massive distraction from more worthy causes but this must be done none the less and howandever.

Keep your gun powder dry and peace out.

Aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

No ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Maybe not. I was mainly looking at the Garrihy sisters page to find out who they were, saw she was Ian Dempseys God Daughter and I clicked the link to his wikipedia page. Maybe I just fell for an old wikipedia edit. I must confess to being a little too young to remember who Fran Dempsey is. After looking him up I do not remember any of his shows. I apologise if he is not and I misled anybody. I was sucked in by the amount of links where everyone seemed to be connected or related and got a little carried away.

On another note, I saw the wording in the statement from Tubs and Kelly before they announced that their solicitors would be joining them, and it said something along the lines of them willing to be there for 'appropriate questions'. What does that mean? That they can and will decide to refuse to answer any question that they deem are not appropriate?

Relating to Geraldine O' Leary, can RTE or Backhurst or whoever is in charge now refuse to accept her resignation if she tries to hand it in, obviously before she claims that her mental health is completely shot to pieces because of this. Or any of the other board members? I do not assume that they can be forced to stay on, but can they refuse their resignation or somehow make them at least stay for these meetings?

I also found it funny reading back here that some people thought Imelda Munsters questioning was too harsh or that they did not like her tone. How should she ask, with a slice of cake and a cup of tea and whilst patting them on the back say "now in your own time, I would like you to tell me all about how the bad Dee Forbes made you break your moral and ethical compass."

Those people need reminding why GOL and the rest of them are there. The committee are trying to find out how and where the crazy spending of public money was happening and who was sanctioning it, and the real answer lies with some of those in that room, not just Dee Forbes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Maybe for a holiday. He won't get a job there. He is damaged goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The board I think, if the executive board is for day to day.

Joe Duffy was on about the confusion with the two boards last week saying one used known as the authority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

The current equivalent position is chair of the RTE board, the position held by Suin Ni Raghallaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Let the games begin!

RTE news : RTÉ Executive Board being stood down

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0710/1393674-rte/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exec board to be got rid of to be replaced by different people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Does that now leave them free to stay out of committee hearings from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

in short, no.

Unless of course they resign or suddenly become ill.

Bakhurst says a register of interests for staff and contractors will be drawn-up, saying the recent controversy has “appalled” him and has shaken public perception of RTÉ.

Also undertakes to publish RTÉ Executive/leadership team salaries.

Also promised are reviews into equality, pay, and roles. Staff will be consulted through survey and a consultation group.

Overall message: “The culture in RTÉ needs change”.

RTÉ Board Chair Siún Ní Raghallaigh says she welcomes the announcements - but says RTÉ has a long way to go to restore public confidence after the “mistakes” of the past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In amongst the grubbiness. McSavage for years was paid to be the pre late late show entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Standing down" probably equivalent to enforced Gardening leave, so still still getting paid.

Be some interesting WhatsApp groupp discussions this Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Something more like all current contractors will be ceased would have been more welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Well given that strategic Coveney has walked away, I imagine the details this week are going to be absolutely delicious…………..

Now to be fair McSavage has literally savaged many RTÉ shows and contractors. His parody of “John” Duffy as being a death and misery fetishist is particularly good. As was his “The Boiling Water Show” with Hector.- which lampooned how RTÉ would literally make anything with whoever was the new Z lister du jour. He may have done warm up for PK but Pat Kenny sketches were regulars on The Savage Eye. He has frequently ripped the proverbial out of Tubs too.

He never once appeared on TLLS during his cousin’s tenure though, I wonder why?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is Adrian Lynch also considered part of the executive board or is the interim dg role excluded from the standing down?

Well legally you can't under Employment Law sack someone overnight here, this is not America. They will have to undergo a process, and in some cases likely Disciplinary Processes. Yes, they will be on full pay until this is sorted out.

And yes, the chances of this being sorted out before Geraldine O'Leary's 7 remaining weeks are up is zero. So she will most likely retire on her current salary level and all associated benefits etc.

The others however will be in for a sticky enough ride. Lynch I would suspect will survive seeing as he was pictured with Bakhurst last week grinning after their meeting with Catherine Martin. The others? Hard to tell. Coveney jumped before he was pushed, Collins is a dead man walking as technically a lot of this is under his watch as CFO.

I'd expect some resignations in the Board itself too.

Extra Butter: pic from last week with Lynch in the background. Not a coincidence IMO.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

My understanding is he is considered part of that board so will be stepped down, however re. his future, I suspect he'll be retained (see my previous post for more).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I think Tubridy will play a stormer at the PAC hearing. A lot of people buy into his faux emotional facade. He may just do his usual performance which seems to win people over. You already have people saying none of this was his fault, yet its his pockets that were being filled. The committee has already shown they don't really know how to question people properly, I can't see them playing it any other way but taking it easy on him.

He would go out tonight, but he hasn't got black dye for his hair.......

That’s the board dissolved. Now for RT and NK …

Let’s see who is on this interim board…

Bakhurst’s email

Guess who Craig Doyle's agent is? Noel Kelly.

I used to work 2 days a week in the UK about a decade ago. Out on the first flight in the morning usually on Tuesday or Wednesdays, back on the red eye two nights later - needless to say i don't miss those days. I'd be up at 3:30am leaving the house by 4am for the outward trip and home after midnight on the return leg, and expected to be at my desk first thing the following morning (clearly i wasn't working in RTE!). I did this for about 2 years so lets say 100-odd return flights. Of the 200 or so total flights I'd say Doyle was on 75% of them so we'd pass each other incredibly frequently.

I used to park in the short term car park in Dublin airport where from parking you have about a 5minute walk to the check in desks area. Mr. Doyle and I would frequently walk one behind the other from said car park to the plane on either the outward journey or the return walk/race back to our cars. Now my memory may be fading on this so I'm not saying this definitely but my strong recollection at the time was that Doyle parked in the area right at the lifts - which was pass-operated, not accessible by or to the public, and had signage on the barriers to sat it was reserved for Dublin Airport/DAA staff. This may be the same area Mick Wallace used to park in if anyone remembers that story? Parking here saved I would say saved about 2mins each way on the trip back to one's car or to the plane depending on which way you flied. But there was always ample parking in this area, whereas I had to on occasion drive around several floors looking for a space. I always wondered how Doyle got his pass for this area - again with the caveat that I MAY be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty confident I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

A podcast on the Classics? With Boris Johnson?

C'mon Noel, get yer prize asset in there. They were made for each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

I was looking for a job and then I found a job.

And heaven knows I'm a millionaire now

A slightly easier to read version of the above:

Dear colleagues,

it is a real honour to join RTÉ today as Director-General, albeit in what is a very difficult time for the organisation collectively, and for each and every one of you individually.

Like you, I have been appalled by recent events and the impact it has had on the public perception of RTÉ, the impact on the trust the public places in us, and the impact it has had on you all. I look forward to working with Siún Ní Raghallaigh and the RTÉ Board as we collectively set out to rebuild trust in RTÉ, inside and outside, starting from today.

I know that all of you are deeply upset and angry. RTÉ is full of talented and hard-working people who remain committed to delivering a vital public service to our audiences, and you have been let down by RTÉ management. I have heard many of your concerns already and I will continue to listen to what you have to say.

I plan to be a visible and available Director-General. I am currently scheduling in meetings with teams across the organisation so that I get to meet as many of you as possible throughout this week and next. I hope to make it to Galway next week to meet with colleagues, including those in RTÉ Raidío na Gaeltachta and Nuacht RTÉ, and I'll also meet with TG4 while I'm there. I'll be in RTÉ Cork on Wednesday-week, meeting colleagues there. I'll arrange a visit to our Limerick studios soon and to our regional teams. Engaging with you, wherever you are, will be important to me throughout my time as Director-General.

Change will be essential if we are to rebuild trust in public service broadcasting in Ireland and in RTÉ. While there will be much to share with you in the coming weeks and months, here are four changes I want to share with you today:

Interim Leadership Team

I am standing down the Executive Board today. It will be replaced with a temporary interim leadership team to continue running the organisation. In due course, there will be a new permanent leadership team. I want to underline that RTÉ, under my leadership and that of the re-constituted Interim Leadership Team, will be an organisation dedicated to working closely with you, to listening, to being open and transparent, to strictly adhering to revised and rigorous governance processes and procedures, to being accountable and to delivering a public service to be proud of. This will take time, but it will happen. It must. There is too much at stake. I will share details of the Interim Leadership Team later today. In advance of that, I can confirm that RTÉ will publish the salaries of the Executive/permanent Interim Leadership Team along with the earnings of RTÉ's 10 highest paid presenters in our annual report every year, starting with Annual Report 2023.

As you will no doubt have heard yesterday evening, Rory Coveney has resigned from RTÉ. I want to express my sincere thanks to Rory for his significant contribution to public service media during his time in RTÉ. I wish him the very best for the future.

Financial Review

While RTÉ has robust processes and rigorous oversight of finances in many parts of the organisation, issues which have arisen relating to the barter accounts and a number of associated transactions, payment of fees to certain contractors, negotiations with agents and the processes around certain decisions have highlighted gaps in our processes and procedures which have caused us considerable harm. From today, all significant decisions will be agreed by the whole of the Interim Leadership Team and a record of discussions leading to these decisions will be compiled. There can be no repeat of the siloed and at times secretive decision-making that have been at the root of the shameful events of the past weeks. As custodians of public money, our financial integrity must be on a par with our editorial integrity.

Register of Interests

As part of my commitment to increased openness and transparency, we are expediting the establishment of a Register of Interests for staff and contractors, in consultation with the TUG. I have asked RTÉ's Freedom of Information Officer to take the lead in a scoping out this important process and to look at RTÉ's legal obligations as well as the operation of registers and declarations of interest in the civil service and in broadcasters internationally. In addition, Acting Interim Director General, Adrian Lynch has written to all relevant line managers in RTÉ seeking clarification on any potential breaches of RTÉ's journalism and content guidelines and meetings are underway in this regard. This is long overdue and as new cases come to light which continue damage trust in RTÉ, I'm sure you will recognise the urgency and importance of this process.

Cultural Change

For the above to happen, the culture in RTÉ needs change, from top to bottom. RTÉ needs to quickly and meaningfully evolve into an organisation that is focused on its people and the public we serve. So, from today, and notwithstanding processes already underway and reviews announced by Minister Martin, I will work with Eimear Cusack and HR to co-ordinate a review of roles and grades, pay, and gender equality; I will look at how, what and when we communicate more fully with you, and how we involve you in the decisions we make. Included in this will be the development of a staff consultation group to meet regularly with me and other members of the Leadership Group and a comprehensive employee survey. I understand that these will raise questions, so I will share further details with you on both of these and more soon.

Inevitably, I will be sharing much of this and other thoughts in my various conversations with media throughout the week, starting from today. I intend to be open with and available to our media, in RTÉ and elsewhere. It is important that audiences and licence fee payers see the change we will bring and that we are accountable for it.

I will also be engaging with a broad range of external stakeholders; the independent sector in particular makes a valued contribution to RTÉ’s output, and decisions about RTÉ have wider impacts within the media sector overall.

Thank you.

I would like to thank all of you for the way you have maintained high quality and rigorous content and coverage during the last few weeks. I am aware that this hasn't been easy - but once again the underlying credibility of RTÉ has rested on your work and commitment.

These are the major announcements for today. More will follow in the days and weeks ahead and I will keep you all closely informed. I hope to see as many of you around in the days to come and I'm happy to hear your thoughts and answer your questions.

In the end, words aren't enough on their own, and it is now time for action and change. I am absolutely determined to introduce that change and reform which will help us draw a line under this shameful period in RTÉ's history and to start rebuilding trust in public service broadcasting, hour by hour and day by day. I believe that together we will. We must.

Ní neart go cur le chéile.

Thank you,

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He done the same with BT as he sat and constantly asked why Paddy Jackson was not playing for Ireland. He also bigs up the English teams when playing the Irish....I can't remember who it was but one pundit was having a laugh as Craig went on about how great the English team while, the pundit more or less turned around and said "Don't you support Leinster?" he said yes and moved on very quickly.

Tubs has to get hired in the UK, something I very much doubt will happen.

How would it be embarrassing for Ireland? we have a number of high profile presenters on English TV which shows that Ireland has talent, just ignored by RTE. It's great to see and hardly an embarrassment. More an embarrassment to Uk with the obvious population difference they have irish on major programs always

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement