Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

That cringey film intro Clare v Kilkenny on the Sunday Game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Its why I think folk here are being awfully harsh on Clare, calling them mentally weak etc. at the end of the day it took probbaly the greatest save in the sport ever to deny them. Clares squad lacks real depth as well which made a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I was only saying it to the man i was sitting beside today when the teams were being announced that Eoin Murphy is the best shot stopper i've seen in hurling. I suppose i shouldn't be too surprised a while later when he pulled off possibly the greatest match winning save i can remember. His reflexes are unsurpassed. It was worth the admission fee alone.

• No mention of it here or I've missed it but a flare or something similar was thrown by a lad in a Galway jersey in Hill 16 last night in the direction of Limerick supporters. Awful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd say even Brian Cody cringed during it

No wonder RTE are in the state they are with that Americanised ballax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Confirmation bias perhaps. If Clare score that and bring it to ET or win it, are they mentally weak? Fine margins. Grand, Kilkenny went up and scored after it when Clare were demoralised but that's not enough to call them mentally weak. They had 2 already dragged themselves back into the game as it was, this would have been a 2nd time to take the lead after being 5 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You are a similar level of poster to the other man, hurler on the ditch type.

I'd imagine you would find that type genuine

Looking at the SG now, Quilligan and Murphy both brilliant.

Clare really did contribute a lot to a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vinniem

While I agree Limerick have the edge for the final, they won't steamroll KK like they did Galway yesterday.. Kk don't ever lie down like Galway. Last year Limerick were as you said keeping KK at arms length but was only 2 points in it at the end. This year will be more of the same I'd say, very close exciting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As already suggested here I think Clare lost because they don't have an uber reliable free taker like other counties (though Rodgers did ok on his frees) and because TK had an off day. When TK plays to his best he is the best around, but he has too many off days for a guy of that calibre.

Don't think it's a great KK team but they have that KK consistency, solidity and toughness to them. Limerick should win but really haven't been great this year either so KK definitely have a chance. Some great games this year but no vintage performances so far in truth. As a Corkman can't say I'm enthused about watching KK v Limerick again, not even sure who I want to win.

Lastly, that save was best I've seen in hurling because he couldn't have expected the shot. 99% of shots in hurling come from a player who has possession so goalie knows a shot is coming and can get set (unlike in soccer where a shot can come out of nowhere), but this was different, pure reflex. Incredible save. Still think KK would have won even if it went in. They just seemed able to score when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Clare should not have been in the position to need that score.

They seem like the best team in the country right until the moment they have to to step over the line on the big big days.

People talk a lot about their games with Limerick but not one of those games was a true knockout game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Took the young lads in with me.. tenner each a seat for the lads. Fantastic value for an afternoon entertainment. Great game. The banner had us sucked in and we ended up being partisan.

Kilkenny simply have it between the ears. It's innate. Keep it simple and be effective in possession.

I've never known a side to be able to get out of so many situations with the deftest blink and you'll miss it flick of the hurl.

There's simply no chance you'd ever see a Kilkenny side give the goal away that Clare did. You could see it happening in real time.

I imagine Kilkenny fans are feeling much like Limerick ones this weekend where it is hard to pick out any one player as a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Why did lohan make those changes before throw in. When they reverted back to their more normal line up after half time they had the wining of the game……also an awful lot of mouthing and complaining from th banner lads and lohan liked like he was going to burst a blood vessel 🚢 a number of time….in Total contrast to lyng who looked like he had ‘ice in his veins’….to quote one of the weekends commentators.

They can't beat Limerick in Munster finals. Limerick know how to win in the run in. That Clare team badly needs a Munster title.

Both Limerick and Kilkenny coming good at the right time.

Have to favour Limerick but they'll earn the 4 in a row if they win. Which will be all the better for their legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Kilkenny have lost their last three AI finals by a total of 25pts and lost this years league final by 11pts. I dont think its as silly a prediction as you are making out, hes entitled to his opinon as much as anyone else is. Limerick are 4/11, its hardly a huge stretch to predict that they will win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

not sure about LK and KK coming good.... LK beating galway is no major surprise.. margin of victory higher than expected... but remember its galway when you think they are ready to take a scalp they disappear... afraid to make the effort or afraid to do what they have to do to win..

KK i would say lucky to b in final... Clare handed them the game with the stupid tactics in 1st half closely followed with that fcuk up for the goal... the stats put Clare ahead everywhere except the scoreboard which is obviously what counts.. LK wont be so generous and i think KK are quite average... Clare made them look very very poor in that 2nd half before gifting them the game with that goal... have to say TJ was very influential and fair play to the guy to be so fit at 35yrs old....

• Advertisement

Cian Lynch, Kyle Hayes and key players finding form.

I think you might be underestimating Kilkenny. They were only 2 pts off the pace last year and look a more rounded side this year.

That's the usual analysis with Clare. They shoulda, woulda, coulda. Their 2 Munster final losses to Limerick were practically the same. They can't close out and it renders statistics meaningless. Talk of the Kilkenny goal being lucky is neither here nor there. They turned over the ball and got a goal. That's as much part of the game as any statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

But so what ? Out of those 25 points, Limerick only account for... 2.

Of the 15 who started today, only 3 started the 2016 final - Scruff, TJ, and Fogarty.

Of the 15 who started today, only 7 started the 2019 final - Scruff, TJ, Fogarty, Huw, Deegan, Donnelly, and Mullen.

So I don't think 2016 and 2019 have much bearing at all. But since you went back as far as 2016 -

...open to correction, but as far as I can see we've met 4 times in C'ship - 2017 quals (+3); 2018 qf (-2); 2019 semi (+1); 2022 final (-2)

So from the last four C'ship meetings, not a single point in aggregate to separate the two sides.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The quality of the data being used to formuate the opinion, means that we don't have to take all opinions equally seriously though. Regardless of what happens on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Clare played well today but I thought Kilkenny got their scores alot easier. SOD is a class act, a fine balanced player. Tony Kelly had another stinker of a day, never seems to do it when they need him the most at knockout. There is alot of hype about Tony Kelly, yes he's a good player but he's no TJ , Hoggie, or Gallane when it comes to being a great player and when your county needs you the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nothing to do with Galway being afraid. Team is in transition and management have been picking it badly all year long anyway. Limerick picked their day to have the best performance of the year. For the second game in a row KK had the rub of the green as regards goal chances.

Eoin Kelly Tipp too. Have been a lot of men who have been great big game players.

Joe Cooney, 1980s etc.

Clare being ahead on every stat except scoring is the story of their season. Even the day they beat Limerick it was because Limericks average was down and not Clare shooting the lights out.

Kilkenny have beaten them twice now so hard to say they are not there on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Can't help but feel Kilkenny getting handy runs to AI finals these days. Leinster is weak and they've gotten Clare in the Semi's 2 years in a row who seem to underperform every time at this stage although admittedly the ref rode them yesterday.

The best chance for Limerick not making the AI final is getting knocked out of Munster and it nearly happened this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Well that just proves that winning the provincials is worth something. If Galway couldnt get over the line in Leinster or Clare in Munster this is the consequence - a harder route. Its not Kilkenny's fault - they are beating whats in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Mentioned it on here during the game.. But any thoughts on SOD not laying off a handpass for two almost dead cert goal chances? Went greedy or left the pass too late. Big fan of his but you'd feel that if it was a player in a KK jersey that pass would have been made 10 out of 10 times.

Ties in what others have been saying about Clare not knowing what to do when it comes to crunch time, I suppose.

Advertisement