Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Scandal - Huw Edwards formally suspended over payment of explicit images of teenager Read OP*

Options

Comments

Any empathy here for the teenager?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Virtue signalling Mrs Lovejoys will have to come to terms with the simple reality that people are interested in mysteries. All their wailing and moralising won't ever change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Humans are morbidly attracted to scandal. Its as old as time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't get why anyone famous would do this, is it some sort of extra risky thing to do to heighten the feelings?

The Internet has unlimited photos and videos, why pay someone to do things like this when you are a famous news anchor? Did he think it was never gonna come out?

And he always appeared so intelligent a person. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,823 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So after all this is over there could be a vacancy for Tubs in the BBC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yep, and others clarifying it isn't them narrows the net of who it could be.

I'd imagine there will be a lot of defamation cases after this, and the BBC will need to be more proactive to stop this if a similar case arises.

What on earth would possess someone to pay a teenager for photos? The young lad apparently used the money for drugs so whoever it is has had a devastating effect on him and his family. The Met have also said BBC didn't contact them when they were first contacted by his family. An epic shıtshow caused by one man getting his kicks.

Virtue signalling is definitely a thing, but criticism of certain behaviours isn't always virtue signalling, just because you don't like these being highlighted!

For sure, humans are attracted to mystery and gossip, however, potentially defaming people because of not liking them/hoping it's them/thinking there's "a bit of a vibe" (that's just spite) and a complete lack of empathy for the teenager, doesn't have to go hand in hand with an interest in scandal. And wanting the BBC to go under is just thick.

Helen Lovejoy is mad for gossip too. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Certainly a lot of defamation as people are just shouting names out.

it’s all just allegations at the minute.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Until the identity is confirmed by the Police, the BBC, the person themself or a reputable news source do not speculate - do not drop any hints in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Unlike RTÉ, Sky News produces a 24-hour live service. By the way, Sky News has provided coverage of significant stories in the Republic - and is available on Saorview!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

The name of the presenter will ultimately come out in time. I can see why the BBC isn't naming him. At this point it's allegations. Curious that the child's mother went to a newspaper and not the police.

What is fascinating is how these stories, like the Schofield scandal are subject to intense media coverage and then simply fizzle out. Unless the boy in the Schofield scandal comes forward then I think that story may lie dormant going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

You don’t get it, do you. The family of the victims made their initial complaint to the BBC back on 19th May, asking that this individual stop sending their child money, by all accounts the BBC did nothing, took no action against the presenter until the story was broken by The Sun this weekend. It’s failure to act highlights once again the cover up mentality of those in charge at the BBC, Jimmy Saville etc….

The day is coming when the BBC will be drastically overhauled or defunded entirely, certainly the licence fee will go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The point is that it's against English criminal law to take an indecent photo of anyone under 18 years even if the subject of the photo agrees to it being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I think I've finally figured it out.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was reading a thread about this story on the Digital Spy Forums on Saturday. Although when I tried to read it tonight. The thread disappeared. I thought it was very strange behaviour for the owners of the site to do that so quickly.

Crappy outlets are reporting that he's in talks to work in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

imagine being that much of a wan*er to do that at someone's wedding, id break ever bone in her body. one of the biggest, happiest days of your life and a cnut like that does that.

what has a just stop oil protest got to do with it? ffs, no would be the answer there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Ah so nice to see the mob baying for blood again. Humans never change

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Virtue signalling?

Some of the speculation has been really disgusting. Noone seems to be thinking of the teenager involved or the teenagers family.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s likely the person in question will be officially named today- Twitter is just awash at this stage so there’s no just no way they’ll be able to keep a lid on things -obviously no mention here as Beasty says but it’s a matter of time now- I’d be surprised if they didn’t name today.

”Logic” is not something that appears to be applied by such people in these circumstances.

If we get the detail to the background of how this payment thing started, it might illuminate the situation somewhat

He’s a shoe-in- An Irish Catholic taking over as the BBC’s chief news reader - could you imagine how the Unionists would react? 😛😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It isn't just Rylan...in fact I don't think he has threatened to get the solicitors on anyone.

Would you like being called a paedophile on top of the no doubt constant stream of homophobic nonsense he gets?

Papers running stories with his picture attached and he has already confirmed it isn't him, seriously **** behaviour.

There’s a a Northern Ireland Reddit group - they obviously have a dislike for one of their own TV presenters up there- all I’ll say is whilst this presenter is wealthy today, he’ll be worth mad money if he successfully sues the dozens of posters who have slandered him. Only challenge he’ll have is likely most of these twats are probably life long dole card carrying members

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

After the latest Twitter reveals this morning of certain images I don't think it will be long before the identity is made known to the general public.

One thing I do find strange however is that in the UK it's legal to have sex with someone at the age of 16 but not legal to take images of them.

So this case is not about sexual wrongdoing as such, it's more about obtaining illegal images. Obviously, we don't know the whole truth at this moment but I do not see this as the next Jimmy Saville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Duplicate post.

Advertisement