Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mortgage rate increases are only part of the picture, the household shop here used to be circa 220 a week for a 5 person household, it’s averaging 320 a week now the past 6 months, electricity on top it is probably up 2k plus a year in most households from 2020 levels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Will know more next week not sure if it’s a brexit impact loan or a boi version of milk flex but I know the rate mentioned on initial conversation was just under 5% …..I have security in place from a previous loan that was cleared 3 months ago ….gloss quickly going off milk flex …..fairly crippling now if you were in high flex trigger due to milk base and high interest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

In case it’s of any use, the Credit Union agri loan is 6.7% at the moment and max loan is €75k and they’re stating 6.17% for a secured loan on the website but don’t know if that’s only up to €50k

https://www.cairdecu.ie/

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The issue is where your milk volume is. The higher volume cow is now 110 kgs organic N compared to 85 two years ago. These same lads were always in derogation.

At 220 next year they are at sub 2cows/ HA with the supposition that calves may have to be held to six weeks it's a sharp blow over 3-4 years.

In reality it's a 33%reduction.

Jayus you will all be bankrupt. The dairy experts here were telling me that costs were 35-40+/L. I will wait with bated breath.

There is only profit in beef for one person. That means you have to carry to slaughter. In between there are too many middle men to be paid.

I would not entirely agree Mahoney. It's all depends on where your nitrates are. At or below 170-190 on substantial acreage ''if'' you carry to slaughter it has a low labour input. Ideally you hold traditional bred heifers and bullocks and slaughter directly off grass at 20-22 months.

As well it works well on split holdings which are well set up.

If you sell as stores at the lower end of the market I am there

Slava Ukrainii

Do you know Jaymla I never knew the price of our household shop was. Mind you I bought a lot of it. I was on the road and I generally brought the milk and other odds and ends we were or not short off. I would invariably call to a supermarket 1-2 times a week to pick stuff up. Generally I bought the spuds as well. When the lads were younger I used to have half a heifer and a couple of lambs in the freezer.

At one time I knew the cheapest place in Limerick for Pampers nappies

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Atm aldi cheapest for our weekly shop. Used to be lidl. Main thing is to get enough so you don't have to top up during the week in smaller shops

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maybe this should be split off into a cost-of-living thread 😀

There 2 adults, a teenager, and 2 young lads in our house and Herself tells me we’re spending around €300/week on food and other household stuff, like washing powder, soap, etc. I might duck in to Centra in the village for milk and bread here and there during the week. Probably another €20-ish. And I’ve made a point of buying something (usually beef!) from the local butcher every week too, so another €20-30.

It adds up fairly fast.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local shop tells me he's cheaper than lidl for 2 litres of milk at 2 10. It's strathroy milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Similar here, but with 3 smallies, one in nappies and a stay at home wife. Add in the Esb and other household costs, it getting scary. Lucky that the heating is taken care of with timber. I put a heifer in the freezer last year and was worth it and got half a pig of a neighbour as a bit of barter. These help a bit.

Something has to give soon. Either a recession or more inflation.

At best keeping them is just a way of keeping money together ….there’s nothing out of them more so for last year and a half when u add in inflated input costs and labour and also impact of nitrates and all that ….as whelan said pick best time to take your loss and move on ….provide a well made well fed calf at 21 days and let them go

• Advertisement

Fran was up early on the rte news app. It’s amazing his rte agricultural correspondent. Theirs nothing his reporting that I find surprising. Be a lot bigger animal welfare issue if we were forced to raise all our calves if we weren’t set up for it. He’d have been better doing reports on the farms here were hundred plus calves died, heard nothing about that since and I’d would actually like to know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

It's all been hushed up the lad won't be charged.... the dairy farmers who delt with him got a serious earful off the department but there's no real blow back as the marts were stuck in the middle of it ....... too much hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

In fairness it’s some ordeal on the calves to go such lengths without a feed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

How many hours do they do without feed?

It's standard practice, if rearing calves on oad milk to start them at 3 to 4 weeks.

They do have a water/glucose drink available during travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

They were 18 hours travelling in France. They should have been fed and rested for an hour hand way. Those are the present regulations. Some of these calves were probably not weaned onto OAD before travelling. This will not be a problem in a couple of years time as calves will need to be weaned 6-8 weeks old minimum before export that is even if export is allowed

No calf died on Samie consignment which is good news. TBF after the sailing at unloading in the Cherbourg lairage out of six trucks and Fran says 2-3,K calves there is two dead calves. He must have been disappointed. TBF that shows an excellent level of husbandry.

Biggest issue was the non feed halfway. However TBF how can you expect a truck driver to feef 300+ calves on probably a triple decker where the ceiling heights are only 4' I would say.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

Some sh1tstorm brewing with this. I went in after milking for the tea with the father. In the 15- 20 minutes I was in there I heard 3 big plugs for this on radio1 and during the Sunday Game last night there was an ad for it during every break.

Agree completely. Stop halfway big issue.

I can't imagine the patience required to get 300 calves down a ramp, but staff with patience is what should have been employed..

It'll be interesting if the deflection ta tics work for them. Programme scheduled for some time, but the level of advertising for it is manic.

• Advertisement

It's as much aimed at shaming dairy farmers into exiting dairying all together our drastically reducing numbers, and to be fair I reckon they'll achieve their aims, they're even trying to spin it that dairy farmers somehow should be ashamed of their profit levels last year and the beef man needs to share in this profit, won't be a peep when next years figures come out though and the figure is well over halved and of course the disclaimer that wages/loan repayments need to be taken into account won't get a mention

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I think we should be very carefull what we post here on this subject in the next few days. Comments made innocently could be misconstrued to suit someone's agenda .it's an open forum and once it goes out there s no coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Lads stop making excuses, it's abuse of animals and there's no defense for it. Its something that needs to be highlighted or it will just keep happening. Would you tolerate employees mistreating calves on your farm or leaving them go hungry, of course not. Just because they are left our care doesn't mean we can wash our hands of it.

I’m looking forward to what Ryan tubirdy and his solicitor come up with tomorrow morning ….hopefully it’s given lots of airtime

I won’t be watching it because it does bother me what the calves have to go through but I’m sure it will be a very one sided programme like countrywide the weekend, they had a segment on water pollution and they went out chatting with environmentalists and then had someone from the epa talking afterwards. Listening to the dairyedge pod cast recently and someone was making some very good points you wouldn’t hear on rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Could milk price from the co ops be linked to keeping calves on farm to rear to finishing or to a certain stage? If its what the consumer wants or creates a better image for dairy is that something that could be looked at? Give a higher base milk price to farmers who rear calf to beef on their farm as well?

It could be a combination of price a d collection. It's unlikely that dairy farmers will be encouraged to keep cattle to finish as it would not make economic sense.

However there is moves to stop the same of calves before 6 weeks. It's probably 2-3 years away and to stop exports as well.

In the UK one dairy makes farmers responsible for calves until about 6 months of age. It prevents there same for slaughter or to farmers that will not looks after them.

I think you are allowed one mistake after that it penalities

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It is time for those milking cows to take ownership of their business. Whether that is by way of reducing cow numbers and or rearing calves to year old or whatever . A solution will be forced on them if they don’t do it themselves .

If you want the consumer to buy your milk, stop the abuse .Identify those involved including those routinely slaughtering / knackering large numbers of calves .

Farmers and the industry have had plenty of time to adapt since quotas were removed.

Bobbying is banned from 2024 onwards, no calf can be slaughtered before 8 weeks of age under new department rules, then the 50 mile limit is in also banning the transport of any calf under 4 weeks old over this limit, another Stipulation re bord bia that calf mortality can't be over 4% i think and if it is you'll be in bother....

It's all well and good re implementing the above if our milk was getting a premium to do the above, but it's world commodity prices we are working off, the moral high ground is grand, but if co-ops go another few steps than what's in store from next year onwards it will be easily crash the milkpool and bankrupt a few of them along the way plus their suppliers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Post away particularly if you have potential solutions to the problem. The calves can’t post for themselves.

Advertisement