Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

You can hardly put "hoggie" in the same bracket as TJ or Gillane when it comes to leading their team to silverware on big days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Add those to the list as well. Brilliant players who always you could depend on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I don’t know about that, when Eoin Cody had a shot for goal saved from a tight angle he had Mullen screaming for the pass and what would have been a certain goal. Probably the only blot on his performance yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

O'Donnell is a very head down hurler once he gets the ball.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't you? He is just behind TJ Reid in championship points who only overtook him yesterday on all time championship points scored. How can Hoggie not be mentioned?

TJ Reid and Gillane have played on several good teams who have won multiple All Irelands with great players. They are obviously great individual players but were also blessed with top quality around the field.

Hoggie has been with Cork since 2008 and has played on many bad to average Cork teams and he has single handedly dragged them through time and time again in games where he had far less to work with in terms of quality. He would make any team in Ireland in his prime imo.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Cody did the same yesterday, he really should have laid it off to Mullen.

The killer instinct requires a bit of selfishness too, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oppiuy

first post was from a totally different ball game :)

Kilkenny are just savage at this time of year and Clare need to find that little bit of composure when it matters.

Savage game yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What’s the caption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

God your awfully sensitive about anyone saying anything remotely negative about KK.

I went back as far as 2016 because it's 8 years since KK won an AI and in that time have taking two wallopings in finals, yet there was multiple posts here stating that KK wont back down, KK don't choke, KK will always fight to the end, KK always turn up. Like most clichés it bull. Every team has a bad day and KK are no different.

You seem awfully perturbed by some random poster, with a clear dislike for KK, merely predicting that the odds on favourites will win comfortably, I wonder why that is? Methink the lady doth protest too much!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Clare are the Armagh footballers of the hurling championship... doing something utterly stupid when the need to keep their heads is greatest... that applies to their management team as well as their players... Shane o'donnell being a notable exception

The Kilkenny never give up thing is annoying when there is clear evidence that they can be overwhelmed just like everyone else.

I don't think it will happen this year though and a repeat of 2022 is far more likely than something like 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

When I saw all the argument and getting heated with the ref, TK, in particular I felt they were gone. They're a mirror image of their manager and Kilkenny are a mirror image of Lyng.

Too much energy expended on the wrong things and losing focus.

Look at Kinerk on the sideline, he's like a super computer processing data when things are going wrong! Cooly working a way, with Kiely of resetting, changing tack, nullifying the opposition threat. There's no hands in the air bawling, that's a different era.

Shefflin was the same on Saturday.

The team needed to calm down as Limerick were coming back into the game but Henry was dancing around like a horny monkey.

He lost it when Quaid went down injured when really he should be losing it at himself and his team for not being smart enough to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Cooked Park is 145m (max length allowed) x 88m (2m less than the max), it is a big pitch.

He should have known that was a probability if ahead and planned accordingly, probably his own instructions or something a little bolder. Shefflin cool as a player but not as a manager.

You see it at every level in all sports, fellas who can't run the line. The most obvious sign is losing it when there's a perceived bad reffing call. It does no good. And at club and underage often turns a ref totally against you. There simply isn't time to dwell on a bad call. You can't change the past.

Kilkenny got most of the calls yesterday but that's not why Clare lost. If they go down the hard done by route they'll go nowhere.

There are so many parallels with Galway. Winning their respective provincials meant silverware, confidence and a 4 week gap to prepare. Both couldn't.

Like Armagh v Derry in Ulster football. Mayo losing to Cork. Making things more difficult for yourself.

We both managed Galway to 2 wins in the qualifiers Ger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's not but ultimately I think it results in another final win for Limerick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It is a fair shout. KK only got 1-5 from play against Clare. Open to correction but Reid didn't score from paly. If Limerick can be more disciplined then they will be looking at another trophy this year. Limerick coming at you is a different animal.

• Advertisement

That's wrong. Cody got 1-5 alone and I remember Padraig Walsh and Huw Lawlor, Paddy Deegan, Billy Ryan, Tom Phelan, Cian Kenny scoring from play at least. 2 pts from Adrian Mullen from play. Anyway a lot of foul scores would end up as scores from play if not fouled. It doesn't make a posies odds where scores come from.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly feel the Clare game may be being over analysed, though I will admit to not being an expert in this sport!

IMO a moment of stupidity cost Clare that game, messing around at the back and gifting KK a goal at a vital point. I don’t think any other top level side would gift a goal like that, I don’t know what they were thinking. Surely someone has to call that there’s a man right on you, send the ball down the field. Im surprised more hasn’t been made of it, as it was the key moment of the second half.

That was the difference at the end of the game. As I said before, IMO Clare were going to win that game right up until that happened. They had all of the momentum second half, they were motoring. It all came to an end as soon as KK got that goal.

Unlike previous games it wasn’t stupid shots from distance that cost them, or a lack of a free taker, just one moment of madness.

KK scored 1-13 from play. Reid didn't score from play but he was flawless from place balls, unlike Rodgers, gave the killer pass for the goal and was effectively playing wingback for the entire second half, it was one of his finest hours all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Yeah, that's true. Just jars a little more given that Clare played a short ball, high percentage game out the field yet when they got inside and got the chances they abandoned the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

I think you really meant "if the referee deems Limerick to be more disciplined". Limerick are the least disciplined team I've seen bar none. The majority of their tackles are fouls, they don't tackle the ball they tackle the man almost every time.

Kids almost always tackle the player when first learning the game but we coach it out of them. It's coached into Limerick, and most other teams in fairness, to make as much contact as possible (within the referee's interpretation of the rules). The 'let the game flow' mantra rewards Limerick most due to their superior S+C. Can't blame them though, you play to your strengths.

Also, if the All Ireland final referee decides to apply the rules properly on hand-passing it will likely handicap Limerick by 5 or 6 pts as they're collectively quite poor at this skill based on any footage I've seen.

History as they say is written by the winners!

If Clare had of won, people would be on here slating Lyng for being so passive on the sideline - no passion, no energy and it was reflected in his team etc.

Far too much knee jerk, results based analysis on here - as I said last night it took the greatest save ever seen in the game to actually repel Clare and as you point out above an U12 mistake at the other end.

A grain of rice as a great man once said!

I think Limerick played a much more disciplined game on Saturday. Thought they got the balance between physicality and fouling just right. It's a thin line for all counties.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Absolutely not trying to detract from the win, it was KKs work rate that led to the mistake.

The goal just gave them the small boost they needed to go up a gear and that was that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there a chance burnout came into the equation for Clare?

KK have had 1 match which genuinely meant something to them (Leinster final) up to yesterday, so I suppose it would've been easy for them to get excited for it.

Clare had a really tough Munster Championship, lost a final by the tiny margin; were extremely flat against Dublin (said as much on here at the time that I wasn't impressed one bit by that performance), and just let things slip again yesterday.

Player burnout surely eventually comes into things?

Advertisement