Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You really don't understand your own point.

Ireland is NOT in the union. Northern Ireland is in the union, and has been, as a separate entity for 100 years. If Scotland is entitled to leave the union and remain intact, then so should Northern Ireland, by your logic.

There is no a priori reason why Northern Ireland cannot work as a unit.

If you base your post on a limited definition of culture, then you are correct. If you take a wider approach to culture, then there are loads of things, from Sunday retail hours, to traffic lights, to road markings that are different in the UK and/or Northern Ireland than Ireland. University entry systems, grammar schools, religious education, pipe bands, health services, etc. etc. All of those are part of the culture and identity of the place.

It is completely disingenuous to suggest that there are no cultural differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, it never has worked as a unit. Nor was it really designed to; it had an ill-starred beginning.

That's not to say that it's impossible that it could work as a unit. In many ways, the GFA was an attempt to make NI workable and I think we could probably say that it has had some limited success in that but, right now, it's not looking in great shape.

So I suppose you have to ask yourself, how long do you try and make NI work before you accept that you have to go back tor the drawing board?

That is why I argue for reform of the GFA to reduce the power of the sectarian parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Personally I'm not against shared sovereignty with England, Scotland and Wales. I just don't want a monarchy and a system of inherited privilege. As members of the EU we had a little bit of everything for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, and that might work. On the other hand, if we're honest, it might not.

There's a challenge here. The GFA was negotiated with buy-in from most of the parties in NI. The DUP didn't buy in but, at the time, they played second fiddle to the OUP, so their opposition wasn't fatal. If we're now talking about reforming the GFA to reduce the power of the sectarian parties, are we undertaking that reform, once again, with buy-in from the parties, or over their opposition? If you include both DUP and SF in the category of "sectarian parties", it seems unlikely that you will get buy-in from them on reforms that are expressly designed to disempower them. On the other hand, if you bull ahead without their buy-in and over their protests, how likely is it that a revised GFA which is rejected by the dominant parties on both sides of the divide is going to be workable, or to make NI work?

I'm not out of sympathy with your objective of making the institutions more durable and resilient by reducing the wrecking powers of the parties. It's just that, realistically, how we get from here to there is not at all clear. And I fear that this problem may be a manifestation of the fundamentally unworkable nature of NI itself.

It's much easier to point to problems like this than to come up with solutions to them, I admit. But I do have a sense that, in the long term, the way forward for the people of Northern Ireland is likely to involve, well, not having Northern Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You cannot reduce the power of sectarian parties without reducing the power of sectarianism.

I was shocked to hear an Irish person relating how his experience of school in the USA worked out. He was subjected to scrutiny to his family origins in racial terms - his origins are 100% native Irish - probably back as far as Brian Boru.

USA is as racist as NI is sectarian. NI needs to deal with that if it wants to progress as a society. Childish antics like putting the Irish flag and an image of Leo on top of a pyre and setting it alight should be condemned by all - and not just the mealy mouth condemnation that Donaldson managed on RTE this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You dont get it or purposely not answering. All of Ireland was in the union. It was partitioned when most wanted to leave.

So if Scotland vote to leave. Should somebody search for a boundary line they can draw to give unionts a majority and keep that part in the union and let the rest leave? Should Scotland be partitioned up like Ireland was in 1921 should the majority want to leave. Yes or no?

So you are basing your position on events from over 100 years ago? Don't buy that as relevant to the modern world. Up there with silly Orangemen and their bonfires.

Where we differ is that while you may believe that such an arrangement would not have buy-in from the two sectarian parties (and I accept that those turkeys won't want to vote for Christmas as the end to the arrangements reduces their power), the Alliance, UUP and SDLP would be likely to support them and with the two governments fully behind it, the onus would squarely be on the two to demonstrate that they don't rely on sectarian bases for strength.

• Advertisement

Yes, Northern Ireland does need to deal with that if it wants to progress as a society. That is why a united Ireland is such a long way off. The likes of SDLP and the Alliance argue for Northern Ireland getting its act together first, and I agree with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My own opinion, for what is worth, is that if NI is not united in getting rid of sectarianism, then a UI is not worth it for anyone.

Ireland in the 1930s was very sectarian - and proud of it. Now we are shamed by the scandals that were perpetrated through that blind following of the clergy and their mistaken meaning behind Christianity and religion. It was more important to the clergy and the politicians to hide these matters under the carpet.

We have reversed most of these and now accept a more open attitude to difference in most things. We have distance to go - but we are getting there.

I cannot see any objections being raised if the OO wanted to march down any main street in Ireland - as long as the purpose was celebration rather than triumphalism.

We already have the celebrations of the Chinese New Year, the Muslim feast of Ide, the celebration of African culture events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Well there we go then. Ditto if ni was part of ni - apart from bits of our culture that are identified with loyalism, unionism arc as your country has not moved quite as far as Uk In tolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So I will ask again as you are the one suggesting I don’t understand culture and identity

“So I think you are telling us that the young lad in Liverpool, Belfast, Dublin and Cardiff are all equally culturally Irish? There different experiences mean nothing culturally and identity-wise? Or maybe you can define how they are culturally different?”

can you answer? - it’s ok to agree with me

Great you didn't answer the simple question because the answer nearly everyone would give is no it is wrong to gerrymander Scotland into parts that want to leave and stay in the union should it vote to leave but you cant say this as it implies that what was done to Ireland was wrong. But you want the unsuccessful partition to live on even do one of the jurisdictions cant jurisdict itself even a 100 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In what respect?

The only thing not tolerated is beligerent, triumphalist loyalism.

Everything else is.

We saw in Rosnowlagh that once you behave then you can parade and play away and nobody bats an eye.

We saw when the DUP got their bung from the Tories that there is zero tolerance for Unionist/Loyalist beligerence and religious fundamentalism in the UK too..

Who remembers 'F* The DUP' badges and placards.

That point makes no sense.

You can culturally identify as you wish downcow. Doesn't matter if you are in the US, UK, Ballyfermot or Portadown.

You can identify because there is something distinct to identify with.

The Orange tradition is a part of Irish culture just as much as the GAA is.

Even though I object to the constitutional sectarianism of the OO, it is STILL a part of MY culture. Just as the GAA is a part of yours.

Design a system that sidelines the most electorally popular, democratically elected parties?

I think there is a name for that.

It doesn't sideline them, it forces them to behave like adults.

I have never suggested partitioning Scotland, neither have I suggested partitioning Northern Ireland.

We are where we are after a century of history.

• Advertisement

to reduce the power

I think any Irish person, with a knowledge of their history, would recognise that ^^ type of talk.

Chilling stuff.

You have long called on the two governments to go over the DUP's head on issues like the Protocol because it serves your interest. Now when I call for the two governments to go over both sectarian parties' heads in the interest of the people of Northern Ireland, you object because it doesn't serve your interest.

Plain to see.

Wha?

'Go over the DUP's head'?

Are you revealing a bit more of your suprematism?

The DUP are a political party like any other.

The Irish and British governments are the sovereign elected goverments. Making decisions on International trade are in their remit, not a political party you think should have a veto. Go 'over their heads' indeed! 😁

Nobody, bar blanch152, has mandated them to reduce anyone's power.

And the GFA is an international agreement concluded by two sovereign elected governments. Changing it to get rid of the sectarian vetoes is within their remit too.

I have no issue with reform of the GFA.

What I do have issue with is trying to impose your electoral choices on the people by 'reducing the power' of parties you don't like. That is dangerously close to fascism at worst or gerrymandering at best.

If you mean reform to ensure the continuation of devolved government, say that. Don't use language we are all tragically familiar with.

I am for the reducing of the power of parties to hold Stormont to ransom. We had one sectarian party who held it to ransom for 3 years and another who may yet emulate them. They need to be stopped from doing that.

the power of parties to hold Stormont to ransom. 

Now you are changing the language. Well done!

P.S. Leaving a coalition because your partner is blocking already agreed legislation that a majority of MLA's want enacted and because somebody who is the chief subject of an inquiry will not stand aside, is NOT a sectarian thing to do.

Your language issues again.

It is only the two main sectarian parties who have held Stormont to ransom. There were clear sectarian motives in Sinn Fein's actions.

But you say unpartitioning the irish nation is laughable which i dont get. Some of the irish nation want to be in the union some dont in the same way some if the scottish nation want to be in the union and some dont.

So it is ok for the scots to be in one unitary state outside the union but not the irish. The irish have to partitioned. You seem to justify partitioning remaining because it happened a long time ago but it hasn't been successful. A century later one of the partitioned jurisdictions still isn't working and cant jurisdict itself. It is laughable not to consider going back to drawing bord and having the irish in one unitary state.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand the language you use.

You'll be telling us next the Greens walked out of coalition government for sectarian reasons. 😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement