Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I enjoyed it, one for the telly watchers though. Maybe I've gotten too used to watching amateur races on YouTube that a lack of a crowd doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I enjoyed it. Always enjoy the really steep stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Spare a thought for the rest of us who then have to read the rantings of people absolutely obsessed with Cav on boards.ie

If there's a silver lining to a rider crashing out of the Tour, its that we won't have to endure that for another two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While I'd agree Pog has the momentum at the moment, I wouldn't agree that it was a climb that wouldn't favour him. It's the long, high climbs that Jonas generally has the edge. 14km at the end of a relatively easy stage (for the GC men) is different from the 20km plus multiple mountain stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Roglic was the difference last year. He did a great job of baiting Pog and forcing him to burn his matches. Pog is too cute for that this year. He's already won 2 TDF pretty much without a team, and only lost last year because Jumbo got their tactics spot on. Ving burned a lot of matches getting the lead and then burned even more doing trojan work on the Tourmalet. With the team doing the work he can go toe to toe but on his own, Tadej is stronger.

It's still a long way to Paris but unless Jumbo come up with a better plan than Sky-train-lite it's hard to see how Jonas gets the upper hand. Maybe get Kuss away up the road and force UAEs hand, but I don't think Kuss has what it takes to pose a serious threat to GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not only that but his first KOM points of the tour as well, mad for such a good climber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I don't think Kuss will come into play like that. In order for him to get up the road and start clawing back serious time, it would need to be a mountain stage and I can't imagine J-V would expose Vingo by letting such a key domestique disappear. And even if Kuss did get into contention, I don't think he's got the temperament to carry it through to the end.

I actually thought Kuss looked a little sub-par yesterday and it was difficult to see what exactly JV were at. The pace wasn't high enough to dislodge the likes of Pidcock or assorted Yateseses let alone Pog, and they were never going to catch the front of the race. He could probably have had the same impact riding a little slower and possibly been of more use to Vingo at the end when Pog attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also remember that Kuss has a Giro in his legs so it remains to be seen how effective he will be later in the tour. JV have had a hard first week & will now need to assess the path forward for WVA especially.

On the Granon stage maybe, but Jonas also put a minute in Pog on Hautacam, and beat him in the ITT handily, despite sitting up at the end. He also dropped Pog on Ventoux in 2021. I like Pog, but I really don't feel Jonas gets due credit for how good he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I think that it was a climb that fell in between both riders preferences. It was a hot day as well, which should have favoured Vingegaard. It was a surprise to see him lose the wheel so quickly. Especially after recently rewatching a bit of last year's race, when he was a pure limpet to Pogacar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jonas only suffers in comparison to Pogacar. If Pogacar wasn’t around we’d all be hailing him as the greatest GT rider of his generation.

Pogacar is different class though. Competing all the way from March to October. No one has done that and won Tours since Fignon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

As an aside on a TdF Rest Day - Are Bernal's day's done? What are Remco's limits as a three week GC leader? Can Carlos Rodriguez compete at that level? Is there anyone else coming through that can challenge consistently in the TdF in the coming years? Vingo seemed to come out of nowhere a couple of years ago and took advantage of the fact that Roglic crashed out relatively early - I don't think anyone had talked him up as being anything other than a talented young Domestique for the high mountains?

Bernal will be back, I think. Remco can be as good as anyone bar Jonas and Pogacar

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This was the problem for Pog last year. Roglic started the tour as team leader and as you say nobody had any idea Vingegaard was a serious contender. Pog had to cover every move by Roglic and he paid for it.

As regards Remco, he's been managed very well. The Vuelta last year, then the Giro this year. I think he'd have won it but for COVID. I expect to see him in the tour next year and he'll be a very serious contender.

I don't see Bernal ever reaching the heights he did before his injury. At best it'll take a long time and even if he ever did each that level again I think it still leaves him quite a way behind Pog, Vin and Remco.

Jonas was 2nd in 2021 though. Again, I'd come back to it not being just the Granon stage - there was also Hautacam and the ITT after Rog had left.

I'm really not sure on Remco - first job is he has to consistently finish GT's. As for Bernal, I'm not sure he ever got back to his pre-back injury level before the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Even without the crash Bernal I think was one of those riders who came along in a gap between 2 "eras".

Hard to know for certain as he was injured for his title defense but his big rival the year he won was Alaphillipe once Pinot had pulled out. It's not Pog level opposition.

Will be some story of he does ever get back to his best and win another Tour (hopefully not for Ineos 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In fairness to Bernal, he’s only really back competing this year, he still has time in his favour to get back up to speed.

But I have to agree that I don’t see him winning a big GT any time soon, but I’d almost put that down to being part of ineos as well….

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

I think CR might have a GT in him ....down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Irrespective of Vings credentials coming into the race last year, Pog was taking it nice and handy, 2 time champ with a smile on his face, knowing he was the best there. JVs attacks and Vings hunger really unsettled him and he was beaten psychologically on the Granon. He's a different beast this year. He spent months in Tenerife in high temperatures and altitude. He was utterly unbeatable until his crash and that lay up might even stand to him.

Anything Bernal does this year is a bonus for me. Once he gets through the season finding his fitness again Ineos will be happy.

Hopefully we will see GT Bernal in 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Juan Ayuso is possibly the obvious next gt person no? Being on pogacars team might not help

There’s a bit of revisionism that goes on here. Roglic lost time early in the tour, he wasn’t a serious GC threat after his crash. Pog could easily have let Roglic go, but his ego wouldn’t allow it. I think he’s learned that lesson, he knows he’s not unbeatable

they/them/theirs

He also potentially benefited from the shortening of the stage(s) that year too. He's still only 26 though, and it's really amazing he's back at this level at all given his injuries.

The way things are going, the next big thing is probably some junior we've never heard of yet!

Pog to Giro & Ayuso to TDF would be my estimation at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get all the dislike for Ineos with their super teams back a while ago. You don't see the same dislike for Jumbo Visma which is odd as they are just like Ineos was a few years ago, or even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Because Jumbo are not Tans? 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

And Ratcliffe being an insufferable cnut as well

Don't have to listen to endless shte from sir. Richie about "thin blue lines", "marginal gains" or "medal factories".

Might feel different if I was getting my cycling news from Dutch speaking media but sadly I'm not.

Also I haven't seen Jumbo win the TdF with 4 different riders almost in a row.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Ratcliffe is the owner of Ineos the company and is a prat.

For instance he is a Brexiter who ended up building his "proper British" SUV in France.

Advertisement