Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭micks_address

What size is this rcbo?

Givenergy replied with this when I sent them a picture..

From givenergy

This breaker is really too small, the manual states a C32, but C25 will just be ok, maybe life at its limit has taken its toll and its going faulty.

Easy option, new RCBO typeA C32

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

You would think if they thought that they would have replaced it during the installation.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

It was fitted as part of the installation... Givenergy support not the same as the installer

Yep, just noticed you said it was from Givenery. The installer should still know if it is suitable though not just be ok.

Yeah I'd agree..seems it's rated for 25 amps current and 30mamp residual current

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

25A at 235v is 5875w. 32A is 7520w.

Maybe you had a sizing issue going on. What is the inverter size and what is the panel size in kW?

Breakers have a "trip curve" where they won't necessarily trip when the current hits 25A on a 25A breaker, they will only trip when there is a rapid over-current or a moderate sustained overcurrent.

Anyway be interesting to see if a better sized breaker fixes the issues, or is it a leakage issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

What size is the cable

Thanks folks, I'm giving up being detective and I'll wait for the installer to sort it. I've 7kwp 2 strings, 4/3 split. Not sure on cable size. Is leakage and easy thing to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Tell your installer 30mA RCBO is not enough that you need 100mA RCBO, Schneider brand if possible.

This will solve your issue, I had similar and since new breaker not a bother since..

They don't like putting them in coz they can be 5-10X the cost of 30mA & no need for them in 80% of cases.

someone on the givenergy forum has removed the rcbo and replaced with an mcb.. and has an rcbo on any circuits fed from the inverter i.e. the eps circuit.. is that a 'safe' solution?

• Advertisement

quick update.. installers roofer called today.. checked my panels.. they are 350s (i was told they were 370 watts when fitted)... but they brought a spare panel with them and going to add that to make up the expected balance.. they didnt have the right brackets with them but left the panel with me for safe keeping! they checked the connections on the roof and they all look good, so they are going to send an electrician to have a look..

Good result, at least you have the extra panel now. Any chance of them putting up the other 1 you wanted when doing it? Paying them of course for the second 1.

One is all that will fit so can't ask for more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

Carbon copy of what happened to me. Thankfully I coped it on the install day and they put up one FOC.

Poor form

Yeah it's gas... I guess I should have paid more attention to the panels as they went up. I dont think they did it intentionally and to be honest I'd never have been the wiser if I didn't want to balance out the row of panels on the back roof. If the roofer hadn't to call out they were fitting 370 watts panels versus 410 on the day I wouldn't have queried it either. I was originally quoted for 6.5kwp panels in total. I thought I had 7.1kwp (the roofer specifically said I was doing well out of it) installed but I've had 6.65.. I guess every panel counts especially in winter, the extra 350 watt south east might be noticeable

For reference this is the sticker on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

" I don't think they did it intentionally "

Ah come on, of course they did. I doubt they set out to deceive you but they knew on the day they didnt have the right panels .

well they told me on the day they didnt.. but they said the ones they were fitting were 370s versus 410s.. oh i dont know.. at the end of it probably wont matter hopefully they can sort the rcbo tripping as well... all the panel connections looked good anyway

hi folks,

while waiting for my installer to send an electrician to check out the rcbo tripping on my inverter. I have a question on the eps wiring circuit. This was installed by a separate electrician and he followed the givenergy guidelines. We have a 10amp rcbo on the eps out from the inverter and then onto a socket. Givenergy said to add an earth to the eps circuit. This bit is a little confusing. The inverter is already earthed - and the eps has a earth/live/neutral post which we wired the circuit to. The electrician wired the earth from the circuit to a nearby earth block which has a path back to the earth rod etc to the rcbo earth

I suppose im wondering if i've a 'double' earth situation going on - and why would the additional earth be required? Could this additional earth be causing the rcbo to trip?

In case anyone is wondering if im diy ing this .. im not.. not touching anything but trying to figure stuff out as the first thing im guessing the installer will point to is the eps socket. The trouble is the rcb has only tripped twice in a month so its very hard to re create the issue. When it does happen the rcbo on the eps does not trip.

Someone suggested this earlier in the thread but should there be a relay on the eps circuit earth that is only open during a power cut? When everything is operational the eps would earth via the inverter to the the consumer board to earth rod, and in power cut via separate earth back to the consumer board to the earth rod (skipping the inverter)

actually thinking this through again - i dont think we need the earth from the inverter at all to the rcbo on the eps circuit - it has a dedicated earth back to the earth rod anyway so we can potentially disconnect that and see if makes any difference.. i suggested that to my electrician and he agreed but he also thinks its unlikely to be causing the tripping..

Cheers,

Mick

Post edited by micks_address on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm not sure about the GivEnergy inverter but on the Solis, the EPS earth and neutral are connected internally via a relay. The relay is open (no connection) during normal operation (grid present). The relay closes (connecting earth and neutral) when in backup mode (power outage).

I suspect another source of confusion is the fact in the UK, TNCS earthing arrangements do not have a separate earth rod, and rely on the incoming supply to provide the earth. We also use TNCS here in Ireland but we also have an earth rod. In the UK, you could lose earth if the incoming supply cable is cut, hence the mention of TT earthing arrangement in diagram above.

Yep it doesnt help that the instructions are uk ish specific. I've asked givenergy if 2 earths are needed to the eps circuit (assuming its earthed via the inverter) we have a dedicated earth on the eps socket back to earth rod which to me would make the earth path via the inverter to the circuit redundant anyway... its an always on socket so powering our router/modem and they set it in 'UPS mode' on the givenergy side so there's no interruption of power during a power cut. Havent had a trip since Sunday and its frustrating as there's been wind/rain/hail and sunshine since. So water ingress seems less likely...

• Advertisement

No rcbo trip in the last 7 days. Still waiting for installer to send an electrian. I did manage to confirm from the inverter manual the EPs earth and grid earth are not connected inside the inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

am i a dummy?

my house sits in the middle of 0.9 acres with plenty of space for a ground mount array.

i was planning on having an 7.79kW array with a 5kW solis hybrid inverter (just below the recommended max voltage), however now that the cost of buying solar equipment is coming down i'm getting greedy and i'm thinking about expanding the set up.

so with that in mind what are the pitfalls with this idea (ignore planning permission constraints for now)...

installing a 14.76kWp array (36 x 410w panels) with two inverters, inverter 1 would be the solis 5kW hybrid inverter linked to 7.79kWp as previously planned with a second dumb 5kW inverter linked to the remaining 6.97kWp.

inverter 1 would be responsible for charging batteries and supplying power to the house and eventually two EV's. inverter 2 would be responsible for the export side plus house/EV's.

with a system that size PVGIS is forecasting the system would generate 567kWh in december, the worst month for generation. that's a sizeable amount of power which in cahoots with a battery would cover a sizeable proportion of the expected demand.

i would like to try and maximise export (excess) in the spring, summer and autumn with the credit going towards the winter.

cost breakdown

36 panels = €3,748

5kW hybrid inverter = €900 (already bought)

5kW non-hybrid inverter = €700

DIY tilting ground mount = €800

cables etc. = €600

5kWh battery initially (pylontech US5000C) = €1500

subtotal = €8,247, call it €8.5k.

plus sparky = €10k total give or take.

i would have all the hardware installed myself with the sparky needed for commissioning and signoff.

am i a complete dummy, am i missing something or is the expanded plan actually feasible?

p.s. the house is in a rural location and fully electric. two EV's will be on the drive by January 2025.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Go for it I would say. But don't face all the panels in one direction if possible.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

If it was me I would split it between East, South and West to get power for longer during the day. You won't be able to use what you are producing with that much facing South most good summer days.

You would lose some of your overall production over the year but should be able to use more of it yourself.

OK i can manage that, thanks. the back of the house faces west / south west so a roof mount for the array feeding inverter 2 is a possibility i guess. plenty of food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Are you applying for mini-generation (NC7) then as this will exceed the 5kW allowed for micro generation?

Mini-Generation | ESB Networks

only inverter 2 which is 5kW would be set to export, inverter 1 would be set to focus on the battery and providing power to the house and EV's.

Technically that would be an NC7. But I'm sure lots of people have move than the NC6 allowable amount connected to the grid.

If you had a 4kW inverter and a Sofar ME3000SP for example that would be over the NC6 amount.

• Advertisement

in that case i might stick to the original plan and next year add on the second array/inverter.

Advertisement