Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, they are to all intents and purposes in a currency union with the euro and have been since the start - they maintain a far tighter peg to the euro than ERM II requires, to all intents and purposes the exchange rate is fixed.

Which makes not using euro specie daft in my opinion.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some measure of good news: the UK look set to rejoin the Horizon Programme as an associate member;

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You couldn't make this up.

Murals of cartoon characters including Mickey Mouse and Baloo from The Jungle Book painted on the walls of an asylum seeker reception centre to welcome children have been removed on the orders of the immigration minister, Robert Jenrick.

The murals were painted over because he thought they were too welcoming and sent the wrong message.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That is just spiteful, nothing more to it.

"The Kent intake unit (KIU) is a reception centre for unaccompanied child asylum seekers."

How do these people's families and friends view this sort of thing? Like imagine being married to that person and coming home from work and that's what they had achieved that day while you were out actually doing something positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not irrelevantly, Jenrick's wife is Michal Berkner, the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors who found refuge in the UK after the war.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

UK media seem to be hinting that one of the reasons Ben Wallace is out of contention for the top NATO job is that France and some other EU states dont want a non EU leader of NATO.

The article also suggests that Biden and von der Leyen have a good working relationship as a trans atlantic partnership.

This is after over a year of the British press claiming that they are leading Europe in relation to Ukraine.

Its almost like the reputational and diplomatic damage of Brexit is staring them in the face, but they choose to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Joe Biden pushes for Ursula von der Leyen to be Nato chief

But much of the EU might well want to keep UvdL as President of the EU commission.

Other commissioners are appointed individually by each member state and approved by a majority in the EU parliament.

But the President will have to have broad support among all in the EU council too.

UvdL may well be the only chance to get a German as President for 5 more years and internal German party politics will be put aside.

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a great idea; if only someone thought of that before flouncing out of the EU like a prima donna. I'm sure the fact this politician is standing down at the next election has nothing to do with this sudden acute case of honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's laughable. Bridges to the EU workforce have been unceremoniously burnt since Brexit and now they're pleading for the return of freedom of movement but in a much worse form that is an insult to the dignity of both European and British workers.

The EU should tell him to go f.uck himself

• Advertisement

People ask what is the point of such callous and cruel behaviour. They miss that the callousness and cruelty is the point.

Hostile environment policies deliberately degrade and dehumanise refugees, immigrants and people of colour in the UK.

The point is to be cruel. To dehumanise them so that they become political scapegoats to keep the Tories in power

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When Lenny Henry (the comedian) started out as a stand-up, he told a joke of his time that reflects the current thinking of the Tories about (coloured) immigrants. The Tory Gov of the day floated the idea of paying immigrants £1,000 to go back to where they came from.

Lenny opined that it was a great idea. 'I'm from Walsall - it is only sixpence on the bus!'

Many of the immigrants the Tories complain of are actually born in Britain. Even some of the loudest critics are children of immigrants - Sunak and Braverman are two. There are more in the cabinet and the Tory backbenches.

Such hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭yagan

How ironic it would be if the UK was forced by necessity to give EU citizens the same standing as Irish citizens in the UK but with zero need for the EU to reciprocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,066 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Never heard that Lenny Henry joke before but it is absolutely spot on.

Often as an English speaking white person I often had people try joke with me about the "immigrants" I worked with despite them all being very English and London born and me the only immigrant in the room.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More doom predicted...

The long term future of a major vehicle plant and 1,500 jobs could be put in jeopardy if part of the Brexit treaty is not renegotiated, its plant director has warned.

Luton Vauxhall director Mark Noble said he was confident, however, the "massive challenges" could be overcome.

But he said with 70% of vans being exported into mainland Europe, tariffs risked its competitiveness.

The government said it was working with the EU to find a solution to the issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The closure of that plant, plus the one making the Opel/Vauxhall Astra was predicted about 5 years ago on these threads.

Honda have gone as was also predicted.

Nissan and Toyota might be in trouble as well if they cannot sort out the batteries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I recall in 2017-2018, there was a factory in Birkenhead that was supposed to close but the locals were as pro-Brexit as they were before the referendum. It does feel like things are gradually getting worse here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The plant could be put in jeopardy "if part of the Brexit treaty is not renegotiated".

Sure, let's renegotiate the part that suits you. And next month, let's renegotiate the part that suits someone else. And the month after that ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly.

It struck me quite quickly when I landed here on the 16th March 2011 that this seemed to be a much more individualistic country than Ireland. While this can bring benefits, it also made the Brexit campaign much uglier than it really needed to be. The (mercifully small) cohort of Brexiters I had to interact with showed very little understanding of how the EU worked, the intricacies of Britain's relationship with it or even how UK government works (or doesn't).

Nowhere proves this more than the fishing fiasco. Britain exports two thirds of its catch to Europe while fishing accounts for 0.03% of the UK's economic output. Of course, nobody complained about one Nigel Farage having attended a single EU fisheries meeting out of 43, an attendance record of less than 2.5%.

The Leave campaign was sold on telling disparate demographics with diverging interests that they'd get what they wanted by voting Leave even if the objectives were mutually exclusive such as friends of my aunts being fed up of Indians and a former Indian colleague wanting his family to be able to move over.

I'm not even surprised any more that various sectors are sniffing around for special opt-outs from Brexit. It characterises the UK's attitude to the continent better than any other example but it's ultimately pathetic and futile. No more so than Tim Martin and Bruce Dickinson just assuming that hospitality staff and musicians respectively could continue to enjoy free movement because consequences are for lesser people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It's amazing how many celebrities and celebrity entrepreneurs of a certain generation were diehard Brexiters and seemed to be hooked by the British exceptionalism angle.

• Advertisement

I never got that.

A lot of British celebrities seem to be a bit older so it makes sense that a lot of them would be Brexiters or at least open to it. The media elites thing was just another right wing trope designed to mask the fact that Brexit was a stupid idea and no serious analyst would treat it otherwise.

I can't figure out what the likes of Dyson or Ratcliffe were getting out of Brexit. You would assume these are smart guy.

Dickinson and a few others really showed up their Spinal Tap credentials but his story is typical of the successful artists of a certain generation who once their mansions and vintage cars were secure became miserable fuks and drawbridge pullers.

Another typical one of those artists is Michael Caine who voted Brexit because “I voted for Brexit. What it is with me, I’d rather be a poor master than a rich servant,”. What a bloody muppet.

I think it was the fantasy of telling the Eurocrats where to where to stick their red tape and dictats while the UK cut swashbuckling deals all over the world. Of course, Dyson and Rees-Mogg moved their business interests sharply and John Redwood went on to advise investors not to invest in the UK.

Michael Caine said what he said knowing full well that he'd keep a luxurious lifestyle no matter what. Same for John Cleese. My aunt owns a property portfolio here in London and she was harping on and on about Turkey joining and that "We'll survive".

The thing I can't get over is the complete lack of thinking of long term self interest. If you're 60, say and the referendum is looming, surely you'd want to vote for what's best for the country, particularly that NHS you're likely to need soon which currently has over 100,000 vacancies and is expected to have almost 250,000 in the middle of next decade.

But, no. Flag waving and owning the remoaners has overtaken sensible thought and pragmatism and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dyson has a section in his autobiography about voting for Brexit.

The story goes that German vacuum manufacturers were lobbying some EU regulations body for testing procedures that favoured their products, and Dyson's company didn't get a look in. So he has a gripe about the EU, and believed the UK would be better off rid of it.

Then he spent a while explaining away his company moving nearly everything except R&D to Singapore...

If you're very wealthy and over 60 you don't need the NHS. You can pay for private healthcare. Same with education, security, culture etc. The wealthy have walled themselves away from the consequences of their damages to society.

If they don't like something, they can just move somewhere nice

John Cleese can get a visa to live in any country or island he likes while waffling about the potential benefits of Brexit as his country is circling the political and economic drain

I would expect them to keep using the NHS to be honest. They feel like they've paid enough for it so why waste money on expensive private premiums at their stage of life.

Whether or not the country is circling the drain depends on one's perspective. Anyone here in the bottom 20% of earners or thereabout is probably screwed. I remember reading once that the poorest Irish people are significantly better off (over 60%) than their English counterparts:

I've just ballsed up an application for a position in Paris but I've seen another in Amsterdam. I think anyone here who doesn't own a property or have family ties would be wise to consider relocation. I just don't see things getting any better for a long time, if ever they do. Starmer's just got nothing of interest IMO.

That's shocking. I had suspected for a while now, in that sense of a prickling under one's thumbs, that the poorest in the UK are far more destitute than the poorest in Ireland - but seeing the stats right there backing it up saddens as much as anything else. And it's not like our poor here live the life of luxury, and don't have financial struggles, but we don't have Warm/Food Banks, and don't have whole towns or cities simply bereft of hope.

There's a much larger question about what one does with a growing population in an area with a depressed amount of social or economic outlet & opportunity - but that's more than a brexit question. The rot has been creeping across England since Thatcher's days.

I've just ballsed up an application for a position in Paris but I've seen another in Amsterdam. I think anyone here who doesn't own a property or have family ties would be wise to consider relocation. I just don't see things getting any better for a long time, if ever they do. Starmer's just got nothing of interest IMO.

Sorry to hear about that; hopefully the Amsterdam opportunity comes through - sounds like you're casting the net out fairly wide & across the EU at this stage?

Theres no way any millionaire is waiting weeks or months for a GP appointment like many on the NHS are

• Advertisement

I think I posted that before. I picked the 20% value off the top of my head and then went lookin for a source. It's truly shocking, isn't it? Growing up, I always envisioned the UK being a better place to live because of how much richer it was, its universities, London, etc. I think part of the deal with Thatcherism is that the poorer regions of the UK would be compensated for the loss of heavy industry by FDI such as Nissan in Sunderland. Of course, the problem with that was the people of these regions deciding to leave the EU and putting these investments in jeopardy.

Sorry to hear about that; hopefully the Amsterdam opportunity comes through - sounds like you're casting the net out fairly wide & across the EU at this stage?

Thanks. I appreciate that I've been bloviating about this a bit for some time now. My landlord decided to ask me to leave a few months back and it's made me feel more mobile. I think it'd do me good from a personal development perspective to move to Europe, experience a new culture and learn a new language. I'd prefer the Netherlands because of the English thing but I'd also be interested in France and Germany. The former seems more fun and interesting while the latter more stable and dependable. I saw a position in Warsaw I was tempted to apply for but that seems like a bad idea. I doubt PiS are an improvement on the Conservative party. I've seen more and more positions manifest in Ireland as well but the housing there looks to be even worse than here somehow.

The Paris thing was annoying. The advert was up for a fortnight with no deadline so I thought I'd time. I'd my CV and letter ready before it dawned on me that the French may do that sort of thing very differently (Spoiler: They do) so I thought I'd wait until a friend returned from Tunisia to help. The ad disappeared so I just emailed in my stuff anyway. We'll see what happens.

Advertisement