Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just hope we win so there's no gloating from the gallery of eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

McNabney back will help (i think he’s back). France will be a tough out though. They look pretty good. I’d bet on this pack to make it a game with anyone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Ireland U20 beat France U20 already this year.

The French will be trying to figure out how to beat us.

We have the advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Sheridan was in trinity while in the Ulster academy, but yea I realise there isn’t an easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Looks like Gavin went off with a knock but if he’s fit for the final I’d be tempted to go with Berman at 13 and Gavin on the wing.

Saying that his size alone might be a reason to keep him at 13 against France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

I watched the game knowing the result though not knowing the final scoreline. Watching the first half live must have been nerve wrecking, SA owned a lot of the ball but couldn't score, thankfully Ireland got the score and reacted well again when SA drew with them.

I'm almost amazed at how these lads can play rugby after the horrific few days they had but they're doing more than playing, they're playing well and fully deserve to be in the final.

Hopefully not they can go on and win it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He kind of looks bigger at u20 but the SH may be messing with the perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was very impressed by our backrow, the 7 and 8 especially. Both should have a big future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Said it before but will say it again - such a likeable bunch. They just keep going.

France are better than when we played them in the 6 nations and Tualagi is a joke. Think it might be a step too far for this team but they'll give it a rattle for sure. Two best teams without a doubt in the final.

• Advertisement

You could say as he was part of the ruck he must retreat before coming back for the ball. But you could also say 'what ruck?' after he completely obliterated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thought England did well to marshall Tuilagi, France definitely looked very rattled in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

149kg is incredible for any player let alone at U20. If we're going to beat France, we'll be doing exactly what we did to Australia and SA....run the legs off them.

I thought the pack were absolutely superb yesterday to a man. They dominated their opposite numbers and defensively they were massive. They'll also have a fit and rested McNabney joining the team for the final match although that would be harsh on Mangan who was excellent yesterday. He might move forward back into his lock position from the 6N.

Somewhat fortuitous that Hadden picked up a minor knock forcing us to look at reshuffling the front row. Paddy McCarthy is far more damaging on the loosehead side and Foxe looks to be a very good prospect also. We don't develop many 120kg tightheads at 20 years old so he's worth looking at for an academy. Appears comfortable enough in the loose too if not in the same bracket as some of his front row colleagues for explosiveness.

Gleeson just keeps delivering. His power and speed off the mark for someone of his size is frightening. Munster won't know what to do with all of their back row talent with Quinn also there now. There's going to be one or two guys not even making their 23 in a couple of years out of Hodnett, Coombes, Quinn, Gleeson, Kendellan (without even considering the wider group of players such as JOD, JOS, Okeke etc.)

I thought Prendergast had a fairly assured performance but still has room for improvement. His defence is normally very strong and was extremely patchy in the first half as he fell off multiple tackles. His goal kicking was excellent and he seemed fairly on the money kicking from hand aside from one out on the full.

The centres went fairly well and Gunne was tidy again, I thought. Wings continue to be problematic in defence and have been since the first game of the 6N.

any links for a rewatch? I missed it live

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Referee made a hames of explaining it, but I thought that once he'd gone to ground during the clear-out he had to roll away and re-enter from his own side.

Contra argument is that it looked like the scrumhalf had lifted the ball off the deck before dropping it back down - so ball should have been called out and ruck over.

The pack has a great balance to it. 3 top level explosive carriers; Quinn, McCarthy and Gleeson. A superb line option, Mangan and McNabney. Gus McCarthy does every and is a great leader. Not forgetting the 2nd rows, who are good at their jobs. Hadden is another brilliant prospect who is an all rounder. Barrett has potential also. The depth is unreal.

I can't see another u20 side this good coming up anytime soon. Think of how good we'd have been in 2021 with Joe McCarthy and Murray available? The development pathway has been brilliant these last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Next years team has more academy players than this years

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Don’t think so , different level this year, both individual talent and as a collective although last year were excellent also and one of the best crops of recent years . Spirit of this team is insane. They are proper close you can see it. Murphy made a comment at the beginning of the tournament which stays with me. Paraphrasing - ‘this years team have more talent, but remains to be seen if they have the same spirit’. Well they have made that clear over this tournament

Nicholson had a great game, scored 2 with work to do with one of them despite the Prendergast kicking show of excellence. And saved a certain try. He looks more at ease continues to improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The talent pipeline is ridiculous.

I had a different take on this. I thought we were amazing defensively early and then just beat them up. Our pack came out on top. I don’t think we ran the legs off them.

I think a fully fit pack.., we might be able to do that to France. This pack is amazing.

I think I saw Jackman say that next year’s team could be better.

Also, i think this year’s team beats last year pretty handily.

Not sure if this team beats last year's but, both teams were exceptional. Some serious players in both squads. I think think the quality in recent years is great. Covid ruined the prospects of several of these sides.

I’m not sure if more pros will come out of this team than last years. I think the backs were maybe better last year. However, its really hard to beat this kind of pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Muck Savage 2020

This set of forwards is the best unit we have had at u20 level for a long time. So balanced, physical, big and excellent in nearly every facet. Halfbacks are also very good but you could argue Casey-Harry Byrne were as good if not better at that age. I am not sold on the Prendergast hype just yet. He is a good player with a strong skillset and has a great rugby brain but I have never been impressed with his tackling and athleticism (being a threat to the line, taking contact if needed ala Crowley). 10 is a highly scrutinized position and most people feel he will get better as he is still young. However, if he is not making his tackles at underage level how can you expect him to do it against fully grown men coming at him from all angles.

They have a great chance on Friday, France may have the edge in terms of flaire and pace outwide but you never know in a final if our pack can take it to them at set piece time.

Not sure if I share the view that next year's team will be better. Halfback nowhere near as good but some good talent out wide. A quick guess of what it might look like (a lot can change due to injury and loss of form)

Boyd Sheehan Sparrow

O Connell (c) Hopes

Luke Murphy (u19) Sheehan Gleeson (may not play?)

Tom Murtagh (one to watch will be u19) Jack Murphy

Hugo McL Hugh Gavin Sam Bearman Stephen Kiely

Ben O'Connor

Subs: Stephen Smyth, Calvey, Adam Deay, Alan Spicer (u19), Ward, Coffey, Hicks (u19), Ruben Moloney

My combined 2022/2023 u20 team

1. Jack Boyle

2. James Mccormick

3. Paddy Mccarthy

4. James McNabney

5. COT

6. James Culhane

7. Rudhan Quinn

8. Brian Gleeson

9. Matthew Devine

10. Sam Prendergast

11. Pa Campbell

12. Ben Brownlee

13. Jude Postlethwaite

14. Chay Mullins

15. Henry Mcerlean

Across both tournaments (6N & RWC) the back 3 - 6/7/8 - & half backs - 9/10 - have been standout. I can’t see that being matched for quite a while, but if I think back to last year I recall thinking the same about that team in general so who knows. Future of Irish rugby is both exciting & safe. 2 back to back Grand Slammers. And now a World Cup Finalist for the 2nd time ever . Boys will have to be at their absolute peak performance to beat the French , wouldn’t bet against this crew , they continue to surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd rate Gus McCarthy above McCormick. Thought the latter had excellent darts but was relatively average athletically.

• Advertisement

I think i’d have mccarthy at hooker as well, and figure out a way to get king in the backs. Maybe put Campbell to 15. King has and had holes in his game but his upside is massive.

I really liked McGuire as well so if we wanted to play mccarthy at his best position, we could put him at tighthead. Or Wilson.

Advertisement