Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭squonk

The problem with Marty is that he may not have done anything egregiously wrong yet nobody on the up would have quickly returned the car and been wushu washy with their explanation. He deserves a bit of a suspension for sure and some further disciplinary action due, at least, casting disrepute on his employer.

What makes it worse however is the new DG falling in quickly to cover his buddy and insisting no damage has been caused when the dogs in the street can see the issue. Worse again are the GAAregukars falling in as well to exhknerate tge ‘grabs hardworking fella’ of any wrongdoing. The only message this ends up getting across is you can do whet you like as long as you have pull and when you’re found out the lads will all dig you out and the thickish at home will be convinced.

Thid is why RTE is rotten and why Bakhurst is the wrong man at the wrong time. It’s day 1 only. It can only get worse. We shouldn’t be accepting MMs rubbish. We shouldn’t be accepting anyone else defending him by saying “He’s a great GAA man etc.”. That has nothing to do with the fact he’s dodgy in this regard.

There’s too much of this in this country. Until this changes we’ll just keep handing out firgivehess cards to the same cabal of idiots who will ream us over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You are just rehashing what I said. I said Collins was right to bring the barter account onto the books. I haven't had time to follow in detail this whole saga, so I can only assume the barter account transactions were NEVER properly audited before Collins asked for them to be audited.

O'Keefe on the otherhand never brought the barter account on board and so its possible or probable external auditors never looked through them.

Its not just the Tubridy transaction by the way, its the world cup tickets, U2 tickets, etc etc. Hundreds if not thousands of dubious transactions that would never ever have come to public attention.

I give Collins credit for helping bringing them to light, and tried to open up the barter account books. Unlike O'Keefe who made sure they were kept closed.

At the end of the day its up to independent auditors to ask the questions no-one else does. That's what auditors do, and that's why auditors are usually the first to uncover frauds, particularly complicated frauds involving more than one person. I think Collins has done just about enough to hold onto his job as his decision to bring the barter account onto the books opened up this can of worms. If it wasn't for that decision, Tubridy would be still reading us the papers in the morning and telling us he'll be back next year for the LLS. Instead he was exposed as a greedy hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He did have a medical procedure but he made a statement that he would be happy to cooperate with the investigations when he is back at work.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The more I think about it - the only way RTE can survive and come out of this stronger is if Kevin is only an “interim DG”.

He needs to be courageous enough to make really tough decisions and not care about the consequences.

he needs to hang people out to dry

the longer he remains DG - the less likely there will be improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm sorry but you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Collins has absolutely failed in his position of CFO and will lose his job. Yes he brought the barter account under the finance team but any accounts assistant on €25k per year would know to do that. He gets no credit for that.

As soon as he became aware of the payment it was his duty to escalate it, report it to the board and implement controls and procedures to ensure something like that never happened again. He failed at that and will lose his job over failure to perform a basic duty of CFO/finance director.

He did nothing to bring anything to light - he only asked questions about it when asked by an auditor. Ridiculous position for him to be in.

Collins was 100% complicit in concealing this and obviously will lose his job over it, correctly so.

He did escalate it to the board - he brought it to Forbes the DG and head of the board. What can you do when the DG and most of the existing board are up to their neck in it?

Its you who are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly as i see it. The narcissist will play the victim and look for sympathy and he'll probably get it too. I really hope we're wrong but he'll try anything to get back to the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Pat Kenny has come out strongly to defend Tubridy, and to be fair you can't disagree with him.

"And I thought there was schadenfreude in spades going on.

"Mostly from the political side, people who have lost probably €1.5 billion building a children's hospital giving out about the price of flip flops"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A reminder that the biggest culprit in this entire mess slunk away into the shadows and at this stage is basically forgotten about. Dee Forbes is the common denominator in all of this, but she was the first rat to jump off the ship and now she barely gets mentioned. Whatever about the likes of Collins, at least they had the balls to go and sit in front of the cameras multiple times.

There is probably a lesson there, surprising that Tubridy hasn't heeded it.

• Advertisement

He would say that wouldn't he about someone who helped achieve huge pay deals over the years. A clear conflict of interest from Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think you're mixing up your boards. There's 2 boards: The RTE Board and the Executive Board. The RTE Board is what any other company would call the "Board of Directors". The Executive Board is the senior leadership team that run the place day-to-day.

It's the RTE Board that should have been notified of the barter account payments. Instead, it was discussed by members of the Executive Board and explained away. In fairness, Forbes was a member of both, but she was not "head of the board" - Siún Ní Raghallaigh is the Chair of the RTE Board.

The CEO (DG in RTE's case) is almost always a member of the Board Of Directors (RTE Board in this case), so there's no technical problem there. But if you're the CFO, and have a problem with how the accounts are being ruin, and your CEO (DG) gives you a wishy-washy explanation, you don't just stand back and say "ah well, I reported it to her, and she's a member of the Board, so my work is done.". You go to the Chair and you present the information to the Board as a whole. That's how corporate governance should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

Fair enough but that's the risk / reward equation assessed by these brands and on balance it was determined the benefits outweighed the risks. Only for RTE acting the bollix that determination would probably still be accurate.

Of course the Q is would the people swayed by Marty driving a Renault be disuaded from driving the same car arising from recent revelations. Over to the marketing gurus to give their professional opinion on the market wide impact. Certainly in my case it's an irrelevant issue, I would just as likely buy one now as before

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fella who freely admits he isn’t up to speed on this topic calls others clueless. 🙄

In your post, it feels like you are putting this on Collins, and have relatively little to say about O'Keefe.

For the record, the barter account was 6 or 7 years in operation under O'Keefe, and if it was set up in 2014 as some alleged, was set up on her watch. It was always off the books under her watch, never open to scrutiny and as she said herself she never mentioned or discussed the barter account with Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

Quite a ridiculous comment from Bakhurst. His friendship or otherwise with Marty should be completely irrelevant. Why mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

No no no no you are completely out of your depth here.

He DID NOT escalate anything. When queried about the payment by the auditor he asked the DG about it and then relayed that explanation to the auditors. That's it.

That's all he did.

What he should have done - in his role of CFO and to fulfill his basic responsibilities - none of which he did:

• immediately get all transactions off the barter account and have someone in the team investigate them
    • prepared executive summary of the transactions
    • set out basic corrective action points about what finance would do around these and what new controls and processed he'd put in place to make sure they didn't happen again
    • send this executive summary and summary of the issues found and correction actions to a) external auditors b) chairman of the RTE board c) chairman of the internal audit committee and d) government minister
    • all of that would have been done easily comprehensively within 1 working week

Who appointed Kevin Bakhurst or where did he come out of? I see he's a friend of MM which is not a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,156 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The barter account being off the books - that is on O'Keefe. However the use of the barter account seemed to be on extravagant junkets \ hospitality for advertisiers (and RTE commercial flunkies).

The use of the barter account in this way to funnel under the counter payments to Tubridy semes to be AFTER O'Keefes watch and based on her public statement, she would not have stood for its use in that way.

That is on Collins.

Does that square the circle?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I am absolutely not rehashing what you said - that is frankly a bizarre assessment of my detailed reply to you.

You haven’t had time to follow the whole saga? Perhaps you should bring yourself up to speed then and you might have a different view?

• Advertisement

The DG is appointed by the RTE Board. In the exact same way that a company's CEO would be appointed by the Board of Directors.

I've said Collins should not have accepted the weak excuse. I've also said Collins was right to open up the barter account to be audited, if it was the first time it was audited. I've said Collins failed on the first part, but succeeded on the second.

I've tried to be balanced, unlike some people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Reflecting on Kevin's first actions, I think he will come to regret letting Marty motor on (no pun intended) as usual. The notion of letting Marty away with having a freebie car for five or six years without consequences is illogical. What use is having a Register of Interests going to be??

Appointed by the current Board?? He's probably a pall of all of them.

He was still a massive improvement on O'Keefe who made sure none of this was ever meant to see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

Well it’s certainly an exemplary lesson from Pat in distraction and whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Lynch has been handed the job of dealing with it...

The only point I am unclear about and which you can now clarify is, did auditors ever look at the barter account before Collins? I'm sure you will help me out with this one?

It's just that you're repeatedly ignoring some of the facts.

1. The CFO has ultimate responsibility for the company accounts. This is such a given it just shouldn't be in dispute at all. No one is saying that they need to know where every cent is going in real-time. But once they know about something shady, they should act upon it immediately and decisively.
    2. He didn't follow proper corporate governance procedures. Blindly accepting a lame excuse from your CEO is not how a CFO should ever operate. They're in an Executive role for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The barter account was not on the balance sheet before Collins

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement