Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You are taking a fairly selective window of time there for discussing refugee movements in Europe. You only have to go back 80 years to find a time where Europe had as many as 65 million people displaced during the Second World War. In fact, the entire concept of co-ordinated international efforts to assist refugees began in Europe, with the formation of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Adminstration in 1943 to assist European refugees — which included displaced Jews and Eastern Europeans who did not want to return to Soviet rule. Even back then, there was an understanding that mass displacements of people can't be addressed by hoping they all fly off to a new life on the Moon.

In any event, saying that there is any significant body of people out there (or anyone on this thread for that matter) who think we should "house most of the Middle East and Africa" is exaggerated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

What's your point? We are housing mostly Middle Easterns and Africans. I mean if you wanna do the whole history thing we can and you can pick a time and then I can pick a time and go in circles but we are dealing with the present.

It seems obvious cos you want it to. Your logic is baffling. If as you and most pro-refugee people say that these people are fleeing prosecution why would they leave if they aren't forced to? Normally the most obvious answer is the answer. But keep spinning a yarn.

My point is that you are acting like handing refugees is this entirely new thing and "experiment" in Europe, when it isn't.

Saying that we are housing mostly Middle Easterns and Africans is an entirely different statement from your previous statement that apparently self righteous people want to house most of Africa and the Middle East....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Seriously? They do not have leave to remain because after investigation by authorities, it has been decided that they are not at risk/lying/ not entitled for some other reason.

They are not refugees because their claim has been turned down.

The system works, I thought you would be happy with that?

Also pro refugee? That's not a thing. Do I support the right of people fleeing to refugee status? Yes, of course. The alternative is that noone should ever be helped trying to escape anywhere! Do you think people should be forced to stay in their own country even if their own government are carrying out atrocities on them?

Who could describe themselves as anti - refugee?

• Advertisement

Again, I and many others clearly stated we are not against immigration or refugees, simply the numbers coming in which is unsustainable given that most are economic migrants, even Leo said it a few years ago when we had the first surge of Georgians.

I think there are sure people who are anti-refugee and there are people who are pro-refugee mainly ones who think themselves as virtuous and or making money from this.

Nope, I am saying that Europe seems to think every single culture can adapt to one another. Some do and some don't. Wars are started by many things including differences in culture, religion, money, power, etc. Europe is now a very secular place all the while most asylum seekers are from non-secular places. We live in a society where you can rip the catholic church to shreds( I have no issue with that) but try doing that with some other religion. What people here and in Europe don't get is cos religion as it doesn't mean much to us, it means a massive amount to people from the Middle East. So when someone comes here and Europe expects them to adapt to things like LGBT rights, for example, that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

the numbers coming in which is unsustainable

most are economic migrants

Would you have proof to backup either of these claims?

If it is purely the numbers coming in ( war in Europe has obviously seen a rise in refugees, what would you suggest we do with people from Ukraine)

Then why do you post constantly about other issues? Refugees commuting crimes, cultural differences, having groups of men in an area? Like if your issue is the amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭TokTik

So to get this straight,

Most leave voluntarily, but if they don't leave voluntarily they are forced to leave, except the ones that disappear.

Could you provide a link to all these people who leave voluntarily and the tiny number who "disappear", in the interest of fairness?? I mean you wouldn't expect a lower threshold of proof for yourself than others, would you?

• Advertisement

But religion meant more to us when Ireland was much more monocultural, and attitudes towards the LGBT community were worse in monocultural Ireland than they are now.

The terms "integrating" and "adapting" are used in such self-serving ways on these threads — they just seem to mean whatever you need them to mean. By your own words, you would not have adapted to the more monocultural and more religiously conservative Ireland of 50 years ago. The Ireland you seem to set out as this wonderfully liberal, agnostic place where we all have a good old laugh at religion has happened around the same time as the country has become more multicultural. In fact, the only people I ever hear bemoaning the death of religion in Ireland are the conservative Catholic right leaning types! So are they also "refusing to integrate" with cool chic modern Ireland or what ?

I mean, what does adapting and integrating mean to you and which of our migrant communities are en masse refusing to do so?

7% of people are forcibly deported from the state, because they have not left. You cannot forcibly deport people who are not here.

Got a link to the other 93% leaving off their own bat? I'm only asking for the same level of proof you require.

I said it's obvious.

Got a link to the 93% staying?

You are the one who made the claim. You make a claim you back it up. That is how a discussion works. You expect us to believe your pie in the sky numbers with not a shred of evidence, yet any time someone disagrees with you, you pretty much want sworn testimony, under oath, before you'll take it on board. It is bad faith posting.

You cannot demand proof/links/official data from others, and then you provide personal opinion and expect it to be taken as fact.

The facts are that 7% are forced deportations. Because they have not left/refuse to go/are criminals wanted elsewhere.

You cannot forcibly remove people who are not here. I haven't any pie in the sky numbers, they are the official figures linked by another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just noticed that the popular and well used Peacockes Hotel and Gift Shop at Maam Cross in Connemara 'closed' a couple of months ago. They had a good general business there but seemingly more money in selling housing to the state.

Did tourism related business there and wondering why no replies, another of our customers gone and revenue reduced :(

Don't suppose our government cares much though about smaller Irish businesses related to tourism.

And what % of them "disappear" as you claimed? A small amount you said. How would you know?

Oh I don't know, I guess all could absolutely leave.

But just knowing human nature, there are always a few chancers that'll chance anything. But yeah I don't know, they could all leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

Oh That’s such a pity. That building has a breathtaking location, with very little else but glorious Connemara lakes and valleys for miles and miles around, much more suited to making some good tourism revenue than anything else. Bleurgh.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

When migrants don't like LGBT rights it's a 'failure of multiculturalism', but when right wing white people don't like them it's 'just protecting the children'.

Clearly the small Irish business didn't care too much for tourism either, obviously the money means more to them.

I never said anything about right-ring white people, don't know what race has to do with this, I am talking culture, not race. Great way to try and not accept the reality within cultures how LGBT rights are treated. You cannot have it every way. The world cup was a great example of it. The same people who were all about respecting others' cultures did the opposite when they were in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was over west at a funeral last week, the towns only hotel went for refugees last autumn. My favourite pub only opens Thursday - Sunday this summer, last year 7 days in summer. Restaurant closed an extra day had to go to chipper. A tourist town that makes its dough in the summer, its gonna be a long winter.

It looks like our tech boom is evaporating, pharma boom no longer gangbusters. Tourism has been thrown under the bus, maybe the refugee industry will be our next growth industry!

Make no bones about it, it's an industry. Of course that's conspiratorial. Remember it's only conspiracy if it's not on the left.

What? You claimed they can make more money housing for the government. Why would you be getting angry with me? I just agreed with you, obviously they don't care much for the tourism either.

I work thanks. Full time. Pay all my own bills. What are you talking about consequences? I haven't closed my hotel to put asylum seekers in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was planning a "staycation" (remember those?) before the schools go back and can't find anywhere in the traditional tourist areas that hasn't been given over to directly housing refugees or which doesn't contain a massive influx of them (per some googling and reading of local press etc).

A holiday among dozens/hundreds of bored unemployed people with nothing to do all day doesn't sound great to be honest - and the morality police can save the false outrage (it's wasted on me anyway!). That's the reality in many formerly scenic and tourism-dependent areas of the country.

At this point, considering going abroad instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I will always be supportive of individual asylum seekers until I have evidence not to be.

I will always look to support my fellow humans on a person level until I have evidence not to be.

None of that consideration for individual living humans stops me from getting critical of the government.

So where I might differ from many is that rather than try to dehumanise refugees I will instead be critical of the political parties who have implemented and overseen for over a 100 years our policies.

Which is why i always ask those most vocal about the current immigration policies if they will vote ff and FG because if they will while being critical of Government policy I know I am dealing with crayon users.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They haven't - that's the worrying thing - and by ther time they do, it'll be too late (if it isn't already)

Worse, we have a noisy minority actually cheerleading this stuff, that either :

(a) Think it'll all be grand 🙄

(b) Think it's all positive and anyone saying otherwise is a big racist

(c) Aren't, or aren't likely to be, affected anyway

(d) Are just grandstanding for "de likes" on their social media platform of choice

Of course in reality - that unfortunate state of existence which tends to get in the way of these notions - huge areas of the country have been changed almost overnight, the problems are already surfacing and will only get worse as the presures and tensions increase, and before long we really WILL have a "far right" element (beyond the handful that people ignore anyway) that will cement our transformation into a truely "modern European country".

Personally, despite the political incompetence, waste and corruption, despite the appalling and worsening services situation, and despite the increasing Americanised polarisation and divisive nature of "debate" that's taken root here, I was quite fond of our generally peaceful, easy-going, welcoming and accepting little country - but I fear it's being lost in the space of months while those who rightly express concerns are either demonised or just ignored by those making the decisions.

• Advertisement

No accommodation for tourists in the country and posters blame everyone except the people responsible!!

The hotel owners that are looking for more money/guaranteed income all year round are the ones that decided to change their business. No one forced them to. I'm baffled as to why posters seem to think it's someone else's fault.

Advertisement