Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What happened was, O'Keefe said the underwritting of the tripartate agreement by RTE happened after her time.

Collins then says he had no clue what the payment to NK was. I'm not absolving Collins by the way, I think he was more foolish than deliberately hiding the barter account, which seems to have been what happened before.

Forbes must have bypassed Collins to use the barter account without informing him, keeping him out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

O’Keeffe has long left RTÉ. She can’t be “fired” now.

Collins is the incumbent. This was discovered under his watch. He has failed on a number of points that constitute part of his job when this was discovered. He admitted himself that he did not investigate it enough, ask enough questions, and took the DG’s word that it was ok - that is more than enough for him to lose his job.

How are you not getting this?

Look this is nothing personal against Collins, I don’t know the guy. But he failed on a number of points as I and many other posters have tried to show you. He was asleep at the wheel abc failed to perform his duties and responsibilities re. Financial Governance, and as CFO that is intimately his responsibility and it will cost him his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

Actually I think giving this job to Lynch will be a clear barometer of RTE into the future.

Bakhurst has cleverly IMO put Lynch in a position to deal with this. He has 3 courses of action available that i can see.

1. Do nothing- public perception is that RTE hasn't changed - new board loses cred, KB in trouble, register of interest idea completely discredited.
    2. He sanctions Marty - board seen to be doing something - not enough for the howling mob, but a sign of DOING SOMETHING - MIGHT be enough
    3. Marty gets the boot - not going to happen, but IF it did, it would scare the fk out of every presenter and producer in RTE who took freebies

My money is on 2.

I have answered the same point a number of times. Read back.

What do you think he deserves for putting the dodgy accounts on the books? A medal of some sort?

That’s his job!!!

What he failed to do after discovering the account(s) was investigate WHY these accounts existed, WHO was extracting money from them, WHAT they were used to pay for etc.

If you think a CFO should just accept and sign off an invoice for €75,000 with the word “consultancy” on it then I don’t know what to say to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Look, as far as the CFO goes, if he doesn't even know how much he earns, he shouldn't be in the job, end of...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Again you largely absolve O'Keefe. Given you are friendly with people in RTE and have contacts there by your own admission, why is this?

What did O'Keefe do wrong, as a matter of interest? A bit of balance from you would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed option 3 won’t happen but it should. I think if I was in a front facing position for my organisation and was found to have a questionable arrangement with a client on my own behalf such that I had to quickly jettison it before it was uncovered, I’m not entirely sure I’d feel confident I’d be continuing in my employment for long.

And again you ignore what O'Keefe was up to. Collins came across a potentially suspicious situation, put the barter account on the books and let the auditors get to work. He foolishly accepted a lie from liar in chief Forbes, but there is no evidence that he was up to his neck in it.

As for a medal, yes he probably does. You were telling people for years about your suspicions about Tubridy, and people were probably thinking you were a looney.

Collins could have done an O'Keefe, done his time and walked off into the sunset. And no-one would have been any the wiser. Tubs/NK wouldn't be facing an oireachtas committee tomorrow if he did. And we'd all be thinking what great people Tubs and Marty Morrissey was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Because they will have a 2nd Register called the 'Barter' Register of Interests for things they don't want known/discussed...

We know what FFG politicians think about registering their interests so I doubt the RTE crew will care that much about the accuracy of it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

GJ “Will you continue to deal with agents like Noel Kelly when contracts come up for review”

KB “That is something that I am looking at and will talk about it very soon”

GJ “Doesn’t sound like a 'yes' or a 'no'”

KB “It’s not a 'yes' or a 'no', but it’s a 'likely no’

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well said, Pat. A man with his head screwed on.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jinny_Cat

A rich man vouching for another rich man shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Who do you think should appoint the DG of RTE? Do you think that it's possible the have someone qualified for the role of head of a major broadcasting organisation that has no connections to anyone in the industry?

I understand the "hot take" to claim cronyism, but when you actually think about it, is there a way to appoint a qualified candidate to the position of DG or RTE - other than pulling a name out of a hat - that would satisfy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Two things can both be wrong and both examples of management are piss poor.

RTÉ don't have billions to spaff up the wall, but if they did, they would.

Kenny is engaging in nothing but meaningless whataboutery and he ought to know better, this is about permissive culture and a total lack of management competence and accountability, neither of which has been evident in the now departing management cohort.

Considering Kenny himself was one of the most overpaid and underworked articles in RTÉ in his day, he'd be as well off just shutting the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

It should have been brought to the board currently chaired by Suin Ni Raghallaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

as well as Tubs, RTÉ DGs are untouchable it seems

flout/break the (tax) laws, and it's "lessons will no doubt be learned" , and , likely , golden handshakes, but narys da fooker ending up doing porridge 😉

remember this folkes the next time they're on about lockdowns , illegal immigration/bogus asylum seekers on their nth appeal and the likes.... can't believe a word they say...

What's their (RTÉ) catchline again? -the one that they have in their ad breaks telling us how great they are- don't know myself tbh, but I'm pretty sure it has TRUTH in it 😂

the truth is that in this new world corporatocracy , the truth is more often than not a major inconvenience...

yeah, fekk RTÉ

:)

What on earth are you talking about?

I can’t be clearer on this - I AM NOT ABSOLVING O’KEEFFE!!!! But she doesn’t work there anymore - what part of that do you not get??????

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Diamond Joe Quimby

I couldn't agree more with this. People are judging Collins based upon the answer he provided to his salary being private/not knowing it etc..I read people state how impressive Breda O'Keeffe was last week. I thought she was extremely poor and defensive. He is probably the only one to come out of this with a shred (Albeit a small shred) of integrity left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Diamond Joe Quimby

Bakhursts position is completely untenable. His appointment was shrouded in controversy after David McRedmond pulled out.

The fact McRedmond didn't even make the shortlist of candidates shows the appointment process was not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct and right Edward….we keep hearing about the top ten with very little info from the rank and file.

Now if they are complaining about poor wages and salaries we need to know what they are to make a judgement.

We keep hearing about how much more requirements and regulations it takes to get an RTE ‘team’ together as opposed to commercial private companies, who, it would appear are much more agile and less constricted.

If you are going to complain, get your wedges out in the open so an honest judgement can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The longer this has gone on, strangely I've gotten more sympathy for Collins and his role in this - particularly after the was stabbed in the front by the former CFO at the committee last week.

If it weren't for Collins, none of this would be known and he is due some credit for bringing the barter account into the auditable accounts. O'Keefe certainly didn't explain satisfactorily why this wasn't the case and why controls were so relaxed on this account while it was under her watch. As for his acceptance of Forbes explanation, at that point he had no choice but to essentially act as messenger boy between DG and the auditors, because at that point the transaction had occurred. Even if he didn't believe the DGs explanation as credible, what else could he have done then?

My problem with Collins being hung out to dry is down to the example it sets. If he maintained the don't ask don't tell policy that seemed to exist around this account then we wouldn't be here.

This doesn't mean however that I think his position remained tenable either.

A scheme cooked up by Kelly and Forbes, with Jennings role still unknown, paid for by O'Learys hidden account but the CFO who's actions led it to be uncovered is to be the fall guy?

i give up.

Collins deserves a medal now. 🙄

Do you really not get it that ultimately the buck stops with him as CFO? Really?

As per my own company’s CFO “even just singing off and paying that €75,000 invoice with ‘consultancy’ on it is enough to get you sacked”.

I gave the example here previously that I’d be afraid to even try and slip in a receipt for a coffee with a friend into my expenses with my CFO. We have a guy here signing off invoices for €75,000 with only the word “consultancy” on them as descriptors.

Thats before we learned that Forbes, O’Leary and likely others were running rings around him and pulling the wool over his eyes. And he sat back and just accepted that,

And no, not everyone would be thinking Tubs is great. Many of us have seen through that fraud for years.

edit: typo on Tubs

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Ah right, because someone leaves a company, they are no longer responsible for the mistakes and f*ckups that happened on their watch or they did nothing to prevent or played a part in creating?

And its on the next guy up? Some accountability that!

O'Keefe did a great job of keeping things off the books, shoving things under the carpet and leaving an almighty mess behind her, as did Forbes.

He has said O'Keefe is no longer with RTE, and therefore its now on Collins.

That's not how accountability works, where the perpetrator is allowed walk off into the sunset without repercussions.

Everything RT has done - Kenny has done. RT more or less did his apprenticeship under Pat. Pat got away with it.

Buck for what? A hidden off the books barter account which acted as a slush fund? That buck stops squarely with O'Keefe, Forbes and GOL.

• Advertisement

It just shows that in the end, there is very little benefit in appearing before Oireachtas committees.

Forbes who was one of the instigators of all this, is hardly talked about, GOL, O'Keefe and Coveney have walked off stage left and won't be heard from again.

Its left to those who remain behind to take the flak and that would mostly be the day to day RTE staff who will have to suffer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement