Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

I never said anything about right-ring white people, don't know what race has to do with this, I am talking culture, not race. Great way to try and not accept the reality within cultures how LGBT rights are treated. You cannot have it every way. The world cup was a great example of it. The same people who were all about respecting others' cultures did the opposite when they were in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was over west at a funeral last week, the towns only hotel went for refugees last autumn. My favourite pub only opens Thursday - Sunday this summer, last year 7 days in summer. Restaurant closed an extra day had to go to chipper. A tourist town that makes its dough in the summer, its gonna be a long winter.

It looks like our tech boom is evaporating, pharma boom no longer gangbusters. Tourism has been thrown under the bus, maybe the refugee industry will be our next growth industry!

Make no bones about it, it's an industry. Of course that's conspiratorial. Remember it's only conspiracy if it's not on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What? You claimed they can make more money housing for the government. Why would you be getting angry with me? I just agreed with you, obviously they don't care much for the tourism either.

I work thanks. Full time. Pay all my own bills. What are you talking about consequences? I haven't closed my hotel to put asylum seekers in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was planning a "staycation" (remember those?) before the schools go back and can't find anywhere in the traditional tourist areas that hasn't been given over to directly housing refugees or which doesn't contain a massive influx of them (per some googling and reading of local press etc).

A holiday among dozens/hundreds of bored unemployed people with nothing to do all day doesn't sound great to be honest - and the morality police can save the false outrage (it's wasted on me anyway!). That's the reality in many formerly scenic and tourism-dependent areas of the country.

At this point, considering going abroad instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I will always be supportive of individual asylum seekers until I have evidence not to be.

I will always look to support my fellow humans on a person level until I have evidence not to be.

None of that consideration for individual living humans stops me from getting critical of the government.

So where I might differ from many is that rather than try to dehumanise refugees I will instead be critical of the political parties who have implemented and overseen for over a 100 years our policies.

Which is why i always ask those most vocal about the current immigration policies if they will vote ff and FG because if they will while being critical of Government policy I know I am dealing with crayon users.

They haven't - that's the worrying thing - and by ther time they do, it'll be too late (if it isn't already)

Worse, we have a noisy minority actually cheerleading this stuff, that either :

(a) Think it'll all be grand 🙄

(b) Think it's all positive and anyone saying otherwise is a big racist

(c) Aren't, or aren't likely to be, affected anyway

(d) Are just grandstanding for "de likes" on their social media platform of choice

Of course in reality - that unfortunate state of existence which tends to get in the way of these notions - huge areas of the country have been changed almost overnight, the problems are already surfacing and will only get worse as the presures and tensions increase, and before long we really WILL have a "far right" element (beyond the handful that people ignore anyway) that will cement our transformation into a truely "modern European country".

Personally, despite the political incompetence, waste and corruption, despite the appalling and worsening services situation, and despite the increasing Americanised polarisation and divisive nature of "debate" that's taken root here, I was quite fond of our generally peaceful, easy-going, welcoming and accepting little country - but I fear it's being lost in the space of months while those who rightly express concerns are either demonised or just ignored by those making the decisions.

No accommodation for tourists in the country and posters blame everyone except the people responsible!!

The hotel owners that are looking for more money/guaranteed income all year round are the ones that decided to change their business. No one forced them to. I'm baffled as to why posters seem to think it's someone else's fault.

Ah you're not baffled.. you're just pretending to be.

If the Government weren't intent on actively inviting anyone and everyone with a sad story to these shores with the promise of accomodation and supports, then there would be no reason for hotels to change their business would there?

Cause and effect - but you know that.

They have chosen to change their business themselves, absolutely nobody forced them to.

• Advertisement

I think it's time to add you to the ever-growing ignore list (something I previously never used in over 20 years on this site).

Your bad-faith posturing and willful ignorance (which is the only way I can describe it) of the massively obvious and damaging effects that importing tens of thousands of "refugees" in the space of a year into areas with no supports or even accomodation (that hasn't been repurposed) for them has on a small country like ours - itself already hugely struggling with ongoing and longstanding "legacy" issues - is something I'm no longer prepared to entertain.

Someone else can take up that mantle from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I was thinking that's what the likes of Pádraic Ó Conaire would have thought too when he strode those roads - Sweet Jesus, who or what the hell??

But that holds little to no water when it is our own government who are paying landlords to house asylum seekers. Where I live they have gotten grants to do shiteholes up, put in few bunkbeds, 800 quid a head, and happy out, cos a lot of the landlords like in the case in Sligo with the students are pushed out the people who in that case own the building don't live in Ireland.

You defend absolutely everything about the asylum/refugee numbers in Ireland. It is quite impressive how you always manage to find a way to do it. Of course, it makes little to no sense as no one is buying what you are selling.

And if the greedy people didn't do it, then it wouldn't be an issue.

It's one thing filling closed and empty buildings, but landlords changing their buildings from student residences, tourist accommodation or old people's homes ? That's on the landlords.

Posters say there's big business in refugees, well clearly these landlords agree with ye!

No it's on the government. They are the ones handing out the money. If they gave something like 100 quid per person it would never happen. It's the amount that is attracting the landlords. It's a system that benefits both. Landlord gets paid and the government look great for Europe.

The author?

That wrote about struggles of ordinary people, and of poverty and emigration?

Actually, I see this and I'm inclined to agree.

The government do the same in relation to the rents they pay for social tenants. They do keep the rents high.

So, yeah, they shouldn't pay as high for anyone they pay rent for. But then I wonder would we have many many more people sleeping on the streets?

Although, the whole looking good for the EU is just conspiracy rubbish imo

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Recently we listened to women who carried keys in their hands to stab attackers when going home, who rang friends to make sure they got home okay, who asked men to walk on the other side of the street rather than follow them.

I don't know your situation but guess you don't have kids and from yourself, live in Dublin somewhere and are very proud of paying your own bills. I don't know what to say to you. You seem a bit short on life experience or maybe it all went grand for you.

I have listened to women who explained their fears that did not seem irrational or without reason.

You're now saying that the women who spoke out are stupid and irrational. We should dismiss them all because of your mother. In fact we love in a society that's meant to cater to the people in the society who are not all the same as you.

Anyway, who cares. Whatever.

Here's a question. We are spending 5.5 billion helping Ukraine alone whilst having approx €240 billion on our national debt.

Is there ever a figure that you would consider too much. For example, would €240 billion be too much?

• Advertisement

I am not short on life experience at all, unfortunately I'm getting on!

I am female and an very well aware of issues facing us, how we need to be vigilant and I have had dealings with many many victims of all types of crimes. I have been a victim myself of different crimes. What women put up with on a daily basis, isn't the same as irrational thoughts.

Unlike most posters, I know that every single person, no matter what their background is capable of crime. Everyone.

Thankfully, despite my life experience, I do not have an irrational fear of men just because they are men.

Are you a man? Do you think I should be afraid of you?

Nothing to do with refugees though, and everything to do with the rip off culture in Irish hospitality.

Carrick on Shannon don't care, they earn enough over 2 nights of hens and stags not to care about tourists.

Post edited by suvigirl on

I am surprised you are not being asked to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I'm a man. Personally, I've put myself in situations that are a bit unsafe at times but that's me. Part of life is living it and taking calculated risks.

I have kids and hope the country is not bankrupt when they go to get a job. I also hope they'll be in a position to be able to pay fo accommodation. So back to my question.

We are spending 5.5 billion helping Ukraine refugees alone whilst having approx €240 billion on our national debt.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-government-sets-aside-5-5-billion-for-supporting-ukrainian-refugees-t2fh3sqvf

Is there ever a figure that you would consider too much. For example, would €240 billion be too much?

Yes, there absolutely is a figure that would be too much. I would completely consider 240 billion to be too much.

as for national debt? That's the way it works, all countries have debt. It's not an issue.

I have never suggested that we spend all our money on refugees, but we are a rich country and we can afford to help others. As for the limit? I honestly don't know, there would have to be many things taken into account.

We are a very rich country but very badly managed. That's on the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Well no, if they are taking up a third of the hotel accommodation capacity for the entire country it is obviously going to impact the price of the remaining rooms for tourists and customers.

It’s a massive chunk of the supply removed from the market and will of course have a knock on effect on the price. Very basic market forces at work.

To say it’s “nothing to do with refugees” is simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Don’t forget, it’s not simply €5.5 billion being spent by government on them, you must also account for the additional loss to the exchequer in terms of lost jobs and business in tourism, restaurants, activities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I would only vote for an Independent if there are none in my area then no vote . I commend your empathy what you done to help refugees ?

We have a government preparing to bend over backwards to support them and only a puff of protest .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-government-sets-aside-5-5-billion-for-supporting-ukrainian-refugees-t2fh3sqvf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Talking about grandstanding for 'de likes '...?

That would hardly apply to any posting here who does not agree with the prevailing narrative as not the most popular stance to be taking. 😊

That would apply to your post and others however!

Did you ever consider running for politics ? A certain populist party would welcome you I'm sure .

None of the 4 options you gave apply to me except maybe no effect, but not because I don't have refugee centres near me but because we have noticed no difference at all where we live.

Don't speak for anyone else unlike yourself..

But good to make generalisations so that you can get a strongly worded point across !

• Advertisement

Well done on tarring a billion people with the.same brush, based on your knowledge of one relationship.

I'm not sure who you're trying to 'educate' here, but I'm well travelled and have even lived in one of those Muslim countries.

You, however sound like you need to go live somewhere else and learn something yourself.

Advertisement