Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

You want a premium to improve calf welfare ? You want to give the most lucrative sector in Irish agriculture some sort of benefit to do what is morally the right thing ?

Advocating for improved conditions for our animals is not the high moral ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

I would not get too worked up about these things. It's out of my control, all I can do is look after my animals.

Look the problem is we have no union to put our case for us. Will there be a prime time special about farmers spending 18 hour days the month of march trying to keep calves alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Once a farm is adhering to bord bia and co-op requirements the morality of the situation doesn't come into it, theirs enough fire fighting daily on dairy farms to keep their own wheelhouse in order, then having to police mart staff, lorry drivers etc who should be department regulated and inspectors providing oversight and ensuring animal welfare standards are enforced....

Genuinely the margins in dairying this year are non-existant what regulations are coming in re nitrates will probably finish alot of us off in the next 5 years if we enter a period of stagnet/below cop milk prices, throw in your argument another couple of hundred euro should be levied on us per calf to do the morally right thing re keeping calves to a year old and 90% of dairy farms will be loss making

Agreed on the Department having oversight on transport and marts etc . The irony is that you can be turned away with an adult animal with horns , or one tag, by over zealous mart/Dept staff, said animal to be killed within a few days. Yet this mistreatment is going on with newborns.

As regards the loss making dairy farms ; If a farmer can’t live without this kind of abuse well then what loss is he to any industry ? Nobody is forcing farmers to be over stocked to the point that he / she can’t look after ALL their animals .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why would you imagine that they are overstocked?

The policy from Europe seems to be to replace production in Europe from countries outside with no standards, no regulations, no health and safety, hardly any workers rights and zero concern for the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

But the evidence tonight, from the ads, seems to be that it's not the farmers but the marts and hauliers mistreating the calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchizoSound

I don't understand the vilification of the Jersey breed in his article, "It is so called ‘extreme dairy breeds’ that are the problem. Often they are Jersey cross cattle that are good for milk production but valueless in terms of beef production."

Firstly they are all Friesian calves going for live export to the European veal markets and secondly does he think meat from a Jersey/Jersey cross animal is toxic?

There was always going to be a backlash after the nature restoration law didn't sail through and I fear the might of the climate change lobby is going to come for all agricultural sectors with a vengeance in the coming months.

That being said, calves not being fed for an 18 hour period during transit is unacceptable.

On the overstocking ; has it not been the case since quotas were abolished that dairy cow numbers have increased and that the unwritten policy has been to get the calves off the farm as quickly as possible. Surely there wouldn’t be any incentive to dump the calves in the marts if they weren’t overstocked and if labour, housing etc was available . Most dairy farmers seem to be under severe pressure.

The possibility of another country exiting the EU would concentrate minds on policy but we are too much of a European poster boy for our politicians to even contemplate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

Should the government be lobbied to try and get Michael o Leary to fly them out. They would be fed and housed in a few hours. A handy plane would carry a few hundred. It's only three months of the year i know. the IFA gave their leader an extra 40000 pay rise a couple of years ago, they are flush, they might chip in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The JE and some other breeding is a disaster. You cannot even export them. Even the beef crosses off them are a disaster, now it doesn't help the use of extremely easy calving beef bulls.

When you have cattle struggling to make 300 kg carcases at 30 months no matter what they are fed and struggling with flesh cover as well.

Why would we even consider leaving the EU. It has been the greatest thing that has happened Ireland. It broke out dependence on the UK. It took us from a second world country to one of the richest ker Capita in the world.

Ya it has it issues but we are not leaving the EU because if a few regulations on dairying or farming in general.

It would be like shooting yourself in the foot because you had nail fungus

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't get the overstocked argument. Farms are stocked correctly (in the most part) because they are able to move the calves away off the farm. You're on about stocking rates including calves, but that makes no sense if the calves are gone. And keeping them is increasing stocking rate, not reducing it. Add to the fact dairy farmers are dairy focused, forcing them to keep beef animals out of goodwill doesn't make sense to me when there are plenty good beef farmers who now won't be able to access calves.

The PT report will shine a bad light. It's more focused outside the farm gate but that won't stop the bandwagon jumpers getting up onto he farmer again. Nevertheless, this bolloxing of mistreating animals, no matter where it happens, has to be dealt with and dealt with severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭jaymla627

In your fantasy land scenario where a dairy farm brings through all calves to either beef at 24 months our as a dairy replacement, if in the higher band at 106kgs/ha per cow is used plus 81kgs combined for calf/1-2 year old, if derogation is revoked, a 100ha, 250 ac dairy farm could run about 90 cows plus all the followers, a 100 acre block would be down under 40 cows, is that financially viable you reckon...

You are missing my point .Overstocking as in being unable to deal with the volume of calves on hand as well as the work involved in milking the cows rather any artificial metric imposed by the Department or EU .

I genuinely don’t understand this narrative . You post about beef farmers who won’t be able to access calves . They can access them at the minute for nothing or next to nothing so why aren’t they ending up on Irish beef farms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchizoSound

The notion that they should be killing out at 300kg and at 30 months is something that could be looked at when they have the potential to do lw gains of 1kg/day and kill out at 220-250kg at 18 months, all at grass, lowering emissions and without importing proteins. If you look at our native breeds the jersey is the most similar animal, versatile and easy care. The top Michelin star restaurants throughout Europe look for purebred Jersey for the prime cuts due to the quality. In terms of the nutrient density of their milk, best in class and again extremely suitable to the Irish system of production, I get that people don't argue against their benefits when it comes to milk production but worth mentioning still. Again each to their own opinion but the vilification of this breed astounds me on on the regular.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Re buying dairy-cross / beef calves: are you being sarcastic or do you genuinely not know why such calves are being sold for €5?

If you really don't know, then I suggest you buy a dozen of them next March and see they go for you.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't think I am missing the point. The dairy lads are set up to calve cows and then hold calves for as long as required before offloading. It's how they've set up their business and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The volume of calves is dealt with and then they are moved on. You seem to want them to no longer move the calves on to another farm. And i don't get that logic. There's a market in the EU for these and that's why they get exported.

If you genuinely think that there is nothing wrong with producing a calf that has no value and pursuing a model that involves dumping the calf as quickly as possible ( however you do it ) then there is no point in my debating with you .

The current furore revolves entirely around the calves that are worth nothing or next to nothing. You won’t see too many continental bulls being abused.

There is a market in the EU only as long as they can be got there. Any industry worth its salt would identify that as a serious business risk and plan accordingly. Would you honestly say that Irish farms have planned for the absence of live calf exports ?

For beef they are worthless, i wouldn't take them for free because it wouldn't be free.

There are downsides to them for milking as well, they suit some operations more than others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's as I said on the beef tracker thread, a pincer move on dairy farmers, pressure from so many sides such as dero, nitrates, enviro etc and now calves. This is to force the issue on numbers and reduce the cow herd by approx 10%. This will reduce the number of calves near enough what is exported, but the crux is it will not reduce the issue of poorly bred dairy beef calves.

Dairy farmers need to take the narrative over the coming days and come out with a clear plan. Exports days are numbered.

A simple 5 point plan clearly delivered will help.

1. Holding calves on farm to 28days

2. Greater use of sexed semen (sexed female straws only for dairy breeds)

3. Re evaluation of EBI for beef sub index to help confident of calf buyers

4. Reduction of exports, due to Dero changes

5. Investment in Genotyping to show true beef value.

Failing to do this will have you taking control of calves until 6 months like the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There’s one man sitting back with s big smile and chuckle on his face watching over all this …..good auld mr goodman with the prospect of a heap of cheap beef on way

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Disagree with the man, but don't wish that on him. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

Quite obviously a troll if you genuinely think that is viable or you’re A little numerically challenged. That 100 acre farm might be able to support 80 cows currently and if a top operator might make a gross profit of 60k this year. If that farm could only carry 40 cows, gross profit down to 30k. Completely unsustainable for the hours involved and would lead to a mass exodus of dairy farmers…but judging by your comments you’d be pleased with this outcome.

Wow .

It was, it should be but in the very most of cases it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not going to happen given the recent poll on Irish attitudes to EU membership - in any case folk here should ask British farmers how happy they are atm with the trade deals the UK are signing with Mercosur countries and Tory agri polcies post Brexit in general. The NFU hoodwinked their membership with BS about a "bonfire of Regs" etc. to get as many suckers on board as possible saying the EU "handbreak" on British farming would come off once they went over the cliff with BoJo. Sadly you hear similar BS from certain farming orgs here in recent months🙄

Been involved in farming for over fifty years. Grew up on a farm of less than 50 acres of poor land with no outside income or subsidies . You can call me a troll if it makes you happy. Sticks and stones and all that .

jaymla627 implies that a 250 acre farm carrying 90 milking cows plus the sale of their followers every year plus a BPS and ANC isn’t viable. Sitting on a land bank worth north of two million euros with 150 plus head of cattle . And that isn’t viable . That’s BS

You couldn't put a cigarette paper between the EU commission and free market wing of the Tory Party.

Especially on trade especially on agriculture.

I'm not calling here to leave the EU etc but just I've often wondered why people who are so opposed to Brexit decide to characterise the EU leadership as something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Your out of tune there as regards costs and the impacts all these enviro and nitrates reductions will have if we have to comply with all the red tape been thrown at us

the bank of land only has a value if u sell it same as stock ……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

He was clearly making reference to the 100 acre sized farm which is more in line with the majority of dairy farmers in dero around the country.

Of course a 250 acre farm with 90 cows and all stock kept will make money but that is a very small minority of farmers with that kind of land bank, he was using that as an example of what a farm that size could carry regarding stock not that it wasn’t viable.

Advertisement