Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's lovely and warm in Galway now. Escaping any showers thus far. Full line of clothes out and sweating buckets out gardening.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You were caught out Gonzo!

As bad as it gets 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very pleasant day in Cork, wish that bloody breeze would go away for a few days tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The weather was good for five weeks straight prior to the last two weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Getting overcast here now in carrick and that wind is picking up as well ,I wouldn't say thunder isn't too far away

• Advertisement

Today was a lovely summer's day. I was not expecting it to be so nice.

No rain where I am but I could hear thunder to my East.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Turned out much better than expected here in Dublin in the end.

Some heavy showers but plenty of nice sunshine aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Overall that’s the 3rd decent day in a row. Plenty of sun at times, a couple of showers but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It turned out fairly good here too. There was some rain this morning into the early afternoon, but then it cleared up for the rest of the day

Post edited by nacho libre on

Yep decent weekend, the usual suspect moaning posters nowhere to be seen naturally. They’ll be back in a couple of days to tell us how it has been crap for weeks 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Moderate rainfall here near Tralee now from the next band to move up over the country.

Been a grand day really here in Kerry, convection grew and just moved Northwards with good levels of sunshine, got dark a few times but only one shower around 18.00 until the rain started here about 30 mins ago or so.

A fairly decent 19C reached and currently 14.1C

Given the forecast last week, it turned out to be really nice. A real bonus.

Last Thursday, which was a truly rotten day, aside, we've been really lucky with the weather overall. That was the only write off of a day we've had in a long time.

Having said that, I've woken up to rain in the city. Fingers crossed it clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Currently 13 degrees and lashing in the north east bet the people complaining it was too warm a few weeks ago are loving this 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Apart from the thunderstorms and rain and wind twas grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

on June 30 I took note of the GFS and ECM ten day charts, ECM had us back in summer, the GFS didn’t.

the verdict: The much maligned GFS wins hands down over the over rated ECM!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember when the GFS first started showing the wild unsettled outliers they were not being taken seriously at all while the ECM was promising us a 1976/1995 style July. The GFS got things really wrong since the last update so not suprised that people were disregarding the unsettled gfs stuff which first appeared in the FI charts around the end of week 2 of June. Has the GFS fixed something I wonder because it absolutely nailed this pattern change from along way out.

I have always preferred the GFS but in recent months it was becoming more and more unreliable, while I hate the pattern change it's good to see the GFS nailing it again but will it spot the next pattern change correctly remains to be seen.

As recently as a week ago the ECM extended had finally picked up on the unsettled first half to July but it was still trying to bring back high pressure and warmth for the second half of July. The latest ECM extended has thrown all this in the bin and has flipped to a cool and unsettled outlook right into the middle of August with low pressure dominating and high pressure restricted to the south and south-east of Europe. I think the ECM extended updates again later today or early tomorrow and will probably sing a different tune again for August so it's very difficult right now to take the ECM extended seriously past week 1, similar to the CFS extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Omg since I woke at 630am I think bar 60 or so mins, it is thundering down rain.

Lights on.

Desperate. 15⁰ Meath

Any improvement for the week 😲

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm afraid not, this week looks like it will be the main event of this unsettled period with rain/showers every day. Next week will also be unsettled but perhaps a bit less in the way of rainfall. We really are looking at final week of July for a possible genuine improvement. We got very lucky with the lovely weather on Friday and Saturday, we won't be seeing days like those for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

ECM always had better verification stats than the GFS even before the GFS update. Doesn’t mean it will be right all the time, doesn’t mean it’s overrated when it’s wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Complete washout in Kildare today, very disappointing last 3 weeks, bring back the leaving cert!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Rain is pelting down in Dublin city. A truly horrible day. Feels like Autumn again after the nice weekend.

Getting away with it today it seems. Some showers earlier in the day but has brightened up nicely and a very pleasant 20c, very breezy again but it's not a cool breeze.

East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fairly sticky today. I don't think we will escape the showers this time judging by the cloud tops that are nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

Biblical rain Thurles area, no sparks yet though

total washout here in Meath all day, rain hasn't let up once, lots of surface water about and everyone in their winter clothing.

Land is starting to get a bit soft again. Some showers going about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Miserable again in North Donegal, and forecast for rest of week not looking promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Careful Niman or you’ll be accused of being one of the usual suspects. The weather is glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Rain, darkness, 16 degrees outside; what more could you want!

Advertisement