Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

At the end of the day Vodafone, Sky and some others all use Eirs infrastructure to deliver the broadband to you. So go with whoever offers the best deal.

Unless it's changed sky have an Irish call centre whereas Vodafone use a one in India. If you have a problem it might be easier to understand an Irish accent than an Indian one. The Irish call centre also holds true for Eir.

Personally I'm going to cancel my Vodafone install and go with the Eir offer solely because I've had such a poor experience dealing with the customer support of Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Go with sky or eir, there is no point paying €40 for the same service

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks all.

If I cancel Vodafone now, it will cost me a break fee, as I am on the 11th month. Do I have to wait until the contract expiry date and then ring Vodafone to cancel the contract?

I will go with Sky.

i usually wait until the contract has expired and then deal with the new company to deal with the switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭feargantae

In my case I also switched from VF to Sky. I rang Sky a couple weeks before the VF contract ended and asked then to take over from that date. The changeover was seamless and there was no final Vodafone bill at the out of contract price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Did you contact Vodafone 30 days before the end of their contract?

It was last year so I can't quite remember but I don't think I did. Iirc Sky said they'd handle the cancellation themselves and they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm out of contract with Vodafone, have been for quite a while, have been waiting for FTTH to arrive. Currently paying them around €56 per month for BB and home phone, the BB is ok but nothing special. Got notified that fibre was available and got on the online chat with rep. I gave him my name, address, postcode, email and the landline number associated with the BB connection, he told me that he couldn't find me on their system which I find absolutely pathetic. Wanted my DOB which I refused to give him. I am now looking for a new supplier, I have had enough of Vodafone.

Put your eircode into Bonkers.ie and they'll tell ye everything that's available to you. It could be that because FTTH just went live for your eircode the system hasn't been updated yet and you'll need to wait a few days

i tried to do that going from eir to vodafone giving vodafone the date i wantd to start and the vodafone rep started it straight away rather than two weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I know that FTTH is available.......Vodafone told me !!!!! then they say that the cannot find me on their system using all the information I gave them. I have been a customer of theirs for at least 10 years FFS !!

Yiu might have got a useless customer service agent, you could try again

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

My contract with eir is up end of this month....is there any way of me getting that One Big Switch deal as it's the best out there currently?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I switched from Virginmedia to Pure for FTTH Broadband back in May, I went for the 500mb package as that's plenty for what we need at home, €35 per month and I've since referred two neighbours to them also and I've received €50 for each referral from pure. The service has been flawless to date.

give notice and join up using your middle name or partners name with a new email address

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Will they not recognise the address as being the same??

i have done it in the past and the person signing you up doesn't care, they just want to secure the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭nimbinsurfer

If I was to change over from Vodafone to Eir, do Eir send out one of their modems and do I have to return the modem to Vodafone or how does it work? Thanks

As far as I'm aware Vodafone will send you a box for the modem and arrange a courier to pick it up. or you have the option to drop it into a Vodafone store.

As for the situation with Eir they may send you one via courier, but it's also possible they may need to send a technician out to install it and check to make sure everything works correctly.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to contact Eir.

Unfortunately tried to order Eir but was refused a short while after placing the order, she was unable to give me a reason over the phone just advised me to send a letter to Eirs credit control department in cork.

Oh well time to deploy the middle name trick tomorrow and use my new Irish IBAN from Revoulte.

Just a small tip GMX email is free to set-up and you can have up to 16 alias addresses which you can name anything you like linked to your main email. Perfect for times like these.

• Advertisement

Put your name in Irish, use your middle name, switch surnames with your partner etc. They really don't seem to care all that much and there's nothing to say you haven't just moved in and want to set up service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Currently out of contact with Virgin and have tv and home phone with them. Was a new customer and rang cancellations and not entertaining me. Curently on 500 with Virgin and not sure whom else provide this? Dont think we can get Sky as believe need phone line in ???

Also if I change account to Mrs Gunner do they issue a new Modem as have existing one bridged and dont want to muck around with new one. Also any loss of service if changeover ?

Going to try ringing Virgin again see if I get anything better

@Irish Gunner gunner if mrs gunner joins up and they issue a new modem i do not think there is anything to stop you returning the new one

if you want to see what is available for you then use a price comparison site, sky have an option to enter an eircode too

some companies get a kick up the hoop if you get onto cancellations and say you're leaving

Just rang Eir not available in my area so would say the same for Sky so its Virgin or nothing !!!

If Mrs Gunner rings for new account and they can see existing account already at that address that would not cause an issue?

Going to try ring them again and see if I can get any better deal with them

i have given a company notice to quit and then a day or two before termination get the other half to sign up as a new customer using maiden name etc, i was doing it for years with sky and also th internet and never had any issues apart from eir couldn't accept one of my email addresses but i gave another random one and it went through okay

Put your name in Irish (or English!) and sign up again. If you've Revolut/N26 etc you can use that IBAN for it to be a brand new account. If you get the Mrs to sign up there's nothing to say that (God forbid!) you've just separated and she's beginning to put things in her name which is why the surnames are the same. You'll be grand

ok the best that Virgin can give me is €84 for 9 mths and €99 for balance. Thats with basic TV, landline and 500 BB

Was onto Cancellations and they just kept on saying we are the best and that they could see that Eir not available in my area, from eircode!!!

So our bills come from same Account so if I cancel now and the first week in Aug Miss Gunner signs up with same bank account and same address that be a problem?

They have me by the !!!! as I have no other options for BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

You need to give 30 days notice. I cancelled my broadband and the day before it was due to stop I ordered as a new customer under the wifes name. The new box arrived the next morning. All very easy and no questions asked.

that went be an issue based on previous experience and you always have the option of revolut to set it up and then change the direct debit details at a later stage but when setting up a new account they don't generally cross reference previous users or bank accounts, they are more interested in locking in a new 12 month contract

on a side note do you need the landline and eye p tv could be an option to save money to up to yourselves obviously

• Advertisement

Yeah thinking of cancelling but there are so many devices connected to internet, Huem ring doorbell Wifi plugs just a pain in the A having to do the PW for these again and having to Bridge the new modem.

We have Eye Pee TV so might cut the cord or maybe just look at getting Saorview pity only has irish channels but rest I can get from BBC and ITV and More 4 if need be. Just cant record them and Eye Pee not the greatest for that and not always reliable but have other ways not for publishing here

Might see and cancel and then 5 days before get Miss Gunner to call in and see what she can get as a new customer

Advertisement