Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical security key for validating credit card purchases

Options
  • 09-10-2022 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello,

My Dad is no longer able to pay for goods online with his bank of ireland debit card because he doesn't have the boi app setup on on his phone, and he would prefer not to set it up.

I was looking at helping him get a physical security key so that he could validate payments.

However the form for getting a physical security key is requesting a User id ? where should he get this ? He hasn't set up online banking and would prefer to not set it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi thebackbar,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

As correctly mentioned above, your dad would need to register for Banking 365 as the PSK is linked up to the profile. The PSK can then be used to approve online card purchases and he doesn't need to use online banking once registered. We have more information on how the PSK works at boi.com/PSK and if your dad can please call us on 1800946156 (9-5 Monday to Friday) our colleagues will help with setting this up.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

My experience on this is that calling 0818 214 365 (as documented on BOI website) brings you to an automated activation centre. For my Dad at least, the step where they send a text to your phone to validate the phone doesn't work.

Calling 0818 365 365, option 2, will bring you to a person who will set up a user id.

My experience is that BOI "officially" support PSKs. In reality this is not what is happening. For me, the activation centre told me "you must have an iPhone or Android phone". Which is incorrect - at the very least, iPads and tablets also work. I used an iPad.

For my Dad, they said that "now that you've activated using this process and have a user ID, the PSK is no longer an option. You must use a smartphone. Also we're phasing PSKs out". Yes. Sure you are. The local branch told him a smartphone was required to do any banking at all. I'm assuming BOI have a policy in place to actively discourage PSK use. BTW, older people have higher levels of disposable income.

This is happening in the UK and the FCA has gotten stroppy about it.

In my opinion, there are two options: 1) Activate using the centre. Don't get into PSK discussions. Ignore everyone who says otherwise. Submit for a PSK using the online form. (I'm not 100% sure a mobile number is required for a PSK so that might be a plus). Or 2) use AIB which validates online transactions using a password and a one time PIN texted to your phone (you'd need a mobile and/or mobile signal coverage which isn't always guaranteed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi carveone,

Thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear you've received conflicting information and we will ensure to pass on your feedback about this.

We can confirm there are no plans to phase out PSKs. We will always recommend using the Mobile App over PSK if possible as you will most likely always have the mobile to hand. Customers can still opt to use PSK if they don't use a mobile or tablet. They will need to be set up with a User ID and 365 PIN to use one.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

hi there. I'm trying to set up PSK as my phone has been made incompatible with online banking since your system crash Friday week. I've set up the basics and now the letter says "Once these steps are completed, log into 365online.com and follow the instructions, which are clearly outlined on screen, to finish setting up the PSK."

I don't see any instructions outlined at all. Just instructions for smartphones/tablets. No mention of PSK. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there, thanks for the message

Please go to www.365Online.com on a desktop/laptop.

You should then see the guide to set up for PSK step by step. You should of received an instruction manual with your PSK also. Thanks, Anna

Hi ,

I received the instructions in the letter and followed them but as I said above there's no mention of PSK when I try to log on to 365 online using my PC.

Thanks for the message. When you enter your User ID, DOB, and 3 digits of your Online Banking PIN, can you please confirm what you can see on screen ? Thanks, Anna

it brings me to the page "set up your security device" and then the only options are to set up a mobile phone, or to order a PSK

Before you access online banking, you must set up the PSK by following the simple steps below:

• Turn on the PSK using the green button (under the number 9 key).
    • Enter in the default pin of 1254.
    • When “New Pin” is presented, create your own unique 4 digit pin and press the Green Button. (The PIN cannot be 1111, 1254 or 1234.)
    • Once these steps are completed, log into 365online.com and follow the instructions, which are clearly outlined on screen, to finish setting up the PSK.

Hope this helps, Anna

• Advertisement
Advertisement