Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The long range forecast is pretty abysmal, cant blame posters being downbeat about it. Especially as it looks like this could go on right through July and we all know that August never really works out too well most years.

However the weekend turned out to be a nice surprise, nice to get the better weather albeit only for a day or two, very windy until Sunday afternoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Beautiful sunny, warm (windless!) evening on the West coast, looks cloudy inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Could be, but when is the forecast ever accurate for 2-3 weeks in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ohh yea true. And I will defer to the experts here, but from what I get they are saying is that the pattern we are in now is similar to previous years which has been very hard to shake off.

I very much hope they are wrong, but at the moment there is no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

It’s spilling rain and it’s nearly dark, an awful evening altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Will it rain again in limerick tonight.. Crazy stuff here a little while ago...

Yes limerick here as well and nothing but downpours every half hour it seems, really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Even on a dire day like this, there can be a silver lining and it was this sunset rainbow in Dublin this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

bucketing down here in limerick again...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

20mm and counting for today, Max 17.4c

welcome to summer in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Weather BOFH

58mm for the day here in South Kildare, the wettest day by far I've ever recorded at this location.

I don't think anyone has any issue with people saying the weather is sh*te. The weather is the weather. And right now it's sh*te.

What I have an issue with is those who only ever focus on bad weather. It could be lovely for the whole weekend and you'd only hear about the one 10 minute shower they had. They make out like they are living on the dark side of the moon.

Or those who only show up here to discuss bad weather like it happens in a vacuum.

And those who insist on retrospectively making out like good weather we have had was worse than it was and lasted for a shorter period than it did. This revisionism is very odd as the weather is a science and fairly easily quantifiable. The data is there.

And those who insist on making the very worst interpretations of the forecasts and are wrong more often than not but we only hear from them when their doom and gloom predictions do play out.

And those who are dying to tell us all when good weather is about to break down or to make grand pronouncements and declarations about it being a 'bad summer' a week into July. Like the fella I know who loves telling everyone it's a bad World Cup/Championship etc after one round of games.

Overall, I enjoy the weather and live reading about it and interpreting it, as well as sharing stories around it, but the drumbeat of negativity here would wear you down and turn you off at times. It's the same pattern every year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but could anyone point me in the direction of a good place to read about the ocean heatwaves going on. Yes I’ve tried google but keep getting into mad scientific realms. Anyone recommend a place with a dummies guide to it, causes and potential impact? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Besides it's Ireland so the only yardstick you can use to compare our weather to is Ireland, it's a unique climate. Sick of hearing about how much better it is in Spain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely morning in Galway and yesterday evening was lovely too. I might be wrong but I don't think we got much rain in Galway yesterday compared to other western areas.

What I like about this changeable showery weather is that there are always windows of nice weather to avail of - preferably in the evenings after work.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

And then you have the polar opposite. The posters who talk up every 1 minute ray in an otherwise gloomy day. Talk up even the tiniest dry interlude, the tiniest rise in temperatures. Make out that good spells last longer than they did in reality and desperately try to put a positive spin on bad forecasts. There's a name for that actually, "Polyanna." Obsessively looking for the positive. Personally, that annoys me as much as the pessimism annoys you. Yes there are stats and there is science, but there are also huge regional variations of even within a few miles. And there is also something science can't account for, human perception. Some posters get annoyed with people being negative. I get annoyed when people won't allow for human perception, won't give people a break and let them say what they feel, whether what they feel is positive or negative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @[Deleted User] and @acequion .... points well made on both sides but can we leave at that/move on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a damp start,nice and sunny now. The less said about yesterday the better.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very pleasant morning here in Leitrim. After a dull but dry start the sun is shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

And as we move onto the afternoon clouds have gathered and it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Very warm on morning run at 7am.

First shower of the day there an hour ago.

Overcast and black clouds now. 18⁰ Meath.

Some family landed in a very hot North Spain yesterday 34⁰ 😯

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a lovely morning here in Meath, huge improvement over yesterday however I don't think i'm going to escape those showers which seem to be building up across much of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

I don't really agree with what you've said as no one comes on here talking up one minute of sunshine. You're exaggerating a bit.

But being so annoyed and agitated about people being positive (of all the things!) seems like an awful trait, no offence.

I love people who are optimistic. I honestly can't fathom how that could annoy someone so much. And I wouldn't even call myself a huge optimist by nature either.

And no one is saying you can't post what you want. But you're on a weather forum where people have access to stats, info, and scientific data. So if they feel your "human perceptions'" don't match actual reality then you have to be prepared for people to disagree strongly with you.

Nice dry day in Galway. I am praying the showers avoid me so I can cut the grass.

Just back from a nice spin on the bike. Warm and cloudy heading west out of Cork City. Caught a shower right at the end of the 3 hour spin. Not exactly lovely, but not as bad as yesterday. Sun out again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Not getting into an argument with you. I like to respect the Mod's fairly simple request.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Awesome Sryan! There's been some silver linings up here in the north too this week. We had a few thunderstorms including a nicely timed one on Saturday evening when at a friend's house having a few bevvies in the garden. Some nice forks and flashes with some booming thunder around 10pm when it was getting dark. Some fantastic colours in the clouds at that time too because the sun had set / or was setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Nice video here from the UK Met Office going into detail on how the jet stream spins up low pressure systems :-

https://youtu.be/-SGzkXvuYLE

Advertisement