Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The chance of a Zelda movie might have gone up a tick in light of the Mario movie's success... but I'd be very slow to put any money on an actual film coming out anytime soon. High Fantasy seems to be a very risky proposition at the best of times, even with existing IPs (oh high Dungeons and Dragons); while Zelda itself wouldn't have near as much cultural omnipresence as Mario would have.

If anything, there's probably a better chance Metroid got made first, given SciFi & Space Adventures are very much a stronger genre ATM. And even then, Nintendo won't be rushed or cajoled into doing anything they're not sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also much harder to have a shared universe between the Mario, Zelda & Metroid games. Mario & Donkey Kong, sure, but I doubt there'd be any real kind of connected universe/story between all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a vague memory that there WAS a Zelda production, briefly fadó. That it was in very early pre-production before the team got flown out to Kyoto, just to be told "No" by Nintendo. It took 30 years before they took a chance on Mario again, I really wouldn't hold my breath for this great gaming floodgate opening.

Most we'll see might be other IPs getting adaptation treatment, but of the strata of Last of Us and the like. I know there's an Amazon adaptation of fallout on the go ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How much of this thread is actually discussing GOTG3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There is a lot to be said for locking in the character like Bond/007 , ensures movies can be made well into the future. the Characters of Tony Stark or Steve Rogers could run along independently? as it is I dont think the casual film going public want to be locked in to having to see 5 movies and 3 TV shows just to follow the next film.

On your last part ,The MCU can be affected by competition in general wherever it comes from, there are only going to be so many big films a year and the energy will go where the energy goes. I get the sense that the next few movies arent must see, Maybe Deadpool 3 next year?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Zelda isn't anywhere close to name recognition of Mario. Even for those who know of the game, most wouldn't even be able to name the main character in it.

As has been noted many times already, MCU have plenty of ammo with the F4 and X-men coming through - CA and IM had basically ran their race by Endgame. Both F4 and X-Men are many multiples more well known than the vast majority of characters that the MCU have relied on since it began and lightyears beyond anything the likes of Zelda.

Please provide any proper evidence that a 200m movie needs to hit near 1bn to turn a profit. It is complete nonsense, the exact type of stuff that gets spouted for clicks on youtube and people try to shove into MCU discussions to try to make something seem like a failure. If a movie needs to make 5 times the budget to make a profit the film industry would have shut down decades ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would generally agree that Zelda doesn't quite have the same wide recognition as Mario - but given Tears of the Kingdom just sold 10 million+ copies in three days, I'd be pretty confident it's next in line for adaptation :)

But yes, I don't really see a coherent 'Nintendo universe' either, unless there's some big Super Smash Bros crossover movie down the line. That said, and to steer this slightly back on topic, I do think GotG3 is a strong case in point that maybe superhero / MCU films - at least some of them - are much stronger when able to do their own thing without being weighed down by the wider machinations of the 'shared universe'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

So anyway, I went to see this and didn't want to expect much but it's actually a truck-load of fun from start to finish and absolutely doesn't feel too formulaic or generic despite telling a simple story well. Great design and visuals and surprisingly creatively violent without being expressly graphic.

Head and shoulders above everything else in Phase 4 and 5 thus far (though I think Quantumania is the only other film so far).

James Gunn really is fantastic - Guardians Trilogy, The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker - all fantastic fun. Things could finally be looking up for DC under his tenure, that's for sure.

Anyway, for me this is the best Marvel movie probably in years, I'd have to go back to Endgame most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Went to see this on Wednesday. It was exactly what I expected, proper popcorn fare that does a really good job of closing the circle on the guardians arc. Great soundtrack as per usual but some really gut wrenching moments too, a tear or 3 may even have crept from my cynical eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Karen Gillan has posted a "week in the life" video about the filming of GotG3. It's about as "all access" as you can get, OK now that the film is out. She says it contains some spoilers, but if there were, I didn't understand them!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

With some major releases coming out these last weekends, I imagine the box office will Peter out from the $678 million it's currently at. The lowest of the three Guardians' films but still what I'd call a reasonable haul given the relative state of the MCU and its release methods.

Gotta respect the professional attitude of Gillan, Saldana and Batista. They always seemed quite enthused about their roles while enduring those hours of make-up. Worth noting Jennifer Lawrence effectively hobbled the X-Men franchise through her refusal to sit for her own (even if it was sometimes full body).

Post edited by pixelburp on

$820m and finally slowing down.

Beat the original but wont have the legs for Vol 2.

Fantastic performance given the early fear mongering and box office competition

It has had more staying power than I'd have thought, but equally it has had good word of mouth; that always does half the work to keep any film alive in the cinemas.

Said it before but give talented people space to make a good movie, and the end result is success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Very enjoyable. The 2.5 hours fly by.

They kind of neutered Adam Warlock from the beginning though which felt like a bolt on more than anything.

Still a great ending to the Trilogy and lots of loose ends tied up satisfactorily.

Badlands for the credits. Got to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Guardians was a good fillum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Just finished this, easily the best film of 2023 so far. Great fun from start to finish, Rockets backstory was excellent and even a little moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Finally saw this yesterday. Pretty good. Rocket's backstory was quite heartbreaking. A good bit more serious and angrier than the others (To be expected, given the storyline). I do think some younger children might have a bit of a hard time so just be aware.

I didn't mind the treatment of Adam Warlock. I have never read the comics and my only knowledge of him was from the recent game. However I know he is quite an important character and I defer to people more knowledgeable about his character to judge if he has been mistreated. All I will say is that, knowing nothing, I thought he was a fun character..... But yes, I will agree that he did seem to be an add-on and was really only there to introduce another character/franachise. It was definitely a good end to the trilogy while still more avenues to explore.

For some reason I really liked the scene with Gamora rejoining the Ravegers - Them welcoming her back. They wanted her there, they liked her, she wanted to be there and liked them. I don't know why I liked that scene so much - Just a nice scene showing her at peace I suppose.

With the latest Phase stumbling and unfocused, this really did feel to me like the final wind down of the first few phases:Infinity War, No Way Home (I know not MCU but you know), this, Thor fizzeling out. Last Ant-Man did nothing for me and I thought Dr Strange was OK but forgettable. And the series only mildly interesting. Loki was pretty good, as was Falcoln & The Winter Soldier. Hawkeye was fun but never got into Ms Marvel (Must give it another go) and the last episode of She-Hulk had SUCH an awkward shoe-horning in of a Hulk movie/spinoff/whatever that I thought initially it was some meta joke (Although I loved the chemistry between She-Hulk and Daredevil)

Si I kind of take this as almost a "Yeah, it's been a fun 10+ years folks. Now everything is wrapped up nicely and I have no real interest in the Next Generation (With the possible exception of the next Captain America). I'll catch the rest on D+

I think the Gamora plot line was an absolutely fleet bit of writing that stepped around the comic book nonsense that forced Gunn to work around - given Gamora wasn't the one he worked with in Guardians Volume 2, all his writing basically junked. Peter's little monologue about that in an elevator sounding like Gunn ranting. It also showed a surprisingly nuanced and mature capper to the Peter / Gamora plot line. In that....

It didn't force them back together but allowed both parties to grow, and part as friends who respected and liked each other. A dozen different Hollywood scripts would have had a One True Love angle, but Gunn showed smarts to let each other show some self-awareness: Peter got to grow up and stop acting like a selfish, love-sick teenager; while Gamora got to find her tribe and learn the value of caring for others, and defending those who can't.

My head-canon still put Peter & Nebula together, 'cos I remain convinced there was something there, especially from the latter!

From what I remember, the Russo's ran Gamora being killed off by Gunn way in advance and he was fine with it, the only thing Gunn requested was that they include a scene where Peter and Gamora kiss, because they hadn't kissed in either of Gunn's films and now wouldn't be kissing in GOTG3. The original plan was actually for Gamora to die in GOTG2 but Gunn ended up changing it. So when they wanted her to die in Infinity War anyway he was fine with it, and then found a way to use the new version of her in GOTG3 to tell a different story with her.

I think the only thing Gunn really disagreed with was Peter hitting Thanos which allowed Thanos to beat them all on Titan, so there was definitely a bit of a jab from Gunn when referencing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder if Gunn wasn't leaving and the Guardians wasn't effectively ending, would Warlock have been very different. I can't imagine they introduced him in 2 with this being the plan. You could easily take him out of the movie and it would have been fine without much rework needed, imo. Feel like he was only in the movie because he was introduced in 2, and it would have been odder if he hadn't been a part of this.

It is almost an unfortunate waste of Will Poulter if they don't end up doing something with him. He's a terrific actor. I'd say Gunn just setup Adam Warlock in GOTG2 without knowing how he was going to use him in GOTG3, and then there was just very little place for him in GOTG3 with the story Gunn ended up wanting to tell, but also had to include him in some way because he's set him up.

Yeah, those claiming Disney forced Gamora to be killed off against the wishes of Gunn is just wrong and is a created narrative to beat up Disney/Marvel. The exact opposite is true, Gunn wanted to kill Gamora in GotG2, where Yondu ended up sacrificing himself, but it was Feige and Marvel who talked him out of it. Now whether Gunn wanted her coming back to life is another thing altogether...

Gunn actually did the best job of showing rather than telling us the impact to the characters of the blip and where Endgame left off - where the rest of the story isn't purely based off it, like Wandavision. The close relationship between Rocket and Nebula can be seen several times which wouldn't make much sense if you jumped straight from GotG2 to 3 but does when considering the two of them spent 5 years and dealt with the trauma of the others being gone during the Blip. We also see how close Gamora is with the Ravagers and it is safe to presume that is how she got off earth and who she has been with since.

My mention of Gamora's death was my own innocent belief in what had been reported as truth and just took it at that, not some invented rod to beat the MCU with. Studios and directors/writers diverge all the time, to calamitous degrees but it's not always about trying to find a narrative to boo Disney. Sometimes rumours start, wires get crossed.

If it's true then then hey, so be it but by all accounts I really liked where Gamora and Peter ended up by Guardian 3's cos it took the more mature road and made a refreshing change for a Hollywood always trying to make its leads kiss.

My point wasn't at you, it was broader that many are incredibly quick to jump on anything, real or manufactured, that fits into a narrative that they believe that Disney/Marvel either don't get on with directors/ are hard for directors to work with / force decisions on directors that they dont agree with / are the cause of most/all the issues with their movies.

It isn't surprising that you or most people didn't see the Gunn quotes regarding Gamora's death as news that puts Marvel/Disney in a good light doesn't get the clicks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Thought it fit well with Gunns Guardians and that it was better than the second film. Felt like revisiting and feeling an earlier era in the MCU 🙂

I totally get that. I only learned of the whole thing at the release of GOTG3 where Gunn was doing a bunch of interviews and mentioned it (and Gunn tends to call out as much falsely-reported info that gets thrown about as he can). But your point is still valid concerning a different issue; Quill's helmet and rocket boots. People were pointing out that Quill nearly died in space at the end, and questioned why didn't he use his helmet and boots to escape/survive, but Gunn pointed out they were destroyed in GOTG2. However, we see him have them (and use them repeatedly) in Infinity War and Endgame, because the Russo's didn't consider that Quill losing them was supposed to be symbolic and a permanent change, and he wasn't supposed to get them back.

Have to admit, I never saw Quill losing them in GOTG2 as being a big deal and it made total sense to me that he would have just had Rocket make him a new set inbetween GOTG2 and IW. So there were definitely things lost in translation when characters move back and forth between directors/writers with different aims/goals. The Gamora case was one where it actually worked out for the best, where the Russo's killing her but bringing back in a different version of her helped Gunn tell a different story with those characters and allowed them to move on. Whereas Quill's helmets and boots led to a bit of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think the general rule is 2.5 times budgets to turn a profit.

With the multiverse etc I am sure there will be further captain america and iron man films at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is spot on.

The vast vast majority of films based on video games have been god awful.

Advertisement