Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think having a great start last season and being top really focused the minds for Arsenal and the momentum kept them going beyond their ability. It would be interesting to see if they have a bad or average start next season would they then go through the motions or still have the mentality to make the top two or three.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Report in the Times on City and some of the time barred evidence from CAS which will be considered in the PL case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Isn’t it a race for the top 5 next season, not top 4?

I wouldn’t automatically think City will win the league next season, Gundogan, Silva and maybe Walker could be going. They played so many games last season and there could be a hangover. As for who steps up to challenge them, if Liverpool buy a midfield they might have a chance. Arsenal have momentum and £200m of investment. Utd will spend £200m again but I don’t think their defence is near what it takes and they need midfielders, strikers. Chelsea will be very interesting next year, Pochettinho has a young squad and could get them back into the top 5. If Spurs lose Kane, they’ll be 6th at best. I still think Newcastle will find it hard to replicate last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've seen nothing to suggest he's anything like Firmino..... Certainly not in the way Firmino plays the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

€33m a year is mental. If those types of salaries are being offered then it's only a matter of time before big PL stars move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Top 5 will qualify for CL in 2024/2025 if English clubs do well in Europe next season as far as I know.

And considering Arsenal & Newcastle are (somewhat) Champions League newbies (neither have been in the group stage the last 6 seasons, longer for Newcastle) and Man Utd don't have a great Champions League record over the last decade, it's not a given that the English teams will do well.

I'm not sure if EL / ECL contribute towards the overall ranking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

All the competitions count towards UEFAs country coefficient, which is what, up to now anyway, has decided how many teams each country gets in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is only top 5 if England finish in the top 2 countries coefficients for this upcoming season and with points being divided by 8 and 3 clubs being in Europe for the first time in a while or ever they could be a chance of not making the top two, but then the last time that happened was the 2019-20 season

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks.

So it depends on Liverpool, Brighton, West Ham & Villa too. Correct me if I'm wrong but England have an extra club competing in European competitions next season, so this should work in their favour as there is a higher chance of wins being attained, therefore more coefficient points.

Means total points is also divided by 8 and not 7, here is how points are worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's nuts alright! And yeah, you could totally see a big player in their mid-20s taking that for 3 years, knowing they can still come back to the competitive leagues while still in their peak years.

It’s already happening, Neves? And I can see more. They are gazumping other leagues the way the PL used to. Players have shown time and time again that they will take the money.

In fact, I’d be stunned if they weren’t trying to sign someone like Salah.

This.

Salah, as a prominent Muslim player, would be a major coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think the CL group stages are a lot easier than people think these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

They still throw out the odd interesting result.

In group B, Club Brugge went on to the knockouts over Bayer Lerkusen and Atletico and in group C, Barcelona ended up 3rd behind Inter and Bayern

Yeah, PL clubs really struggling to get out of the group is a rare thing these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It would be a serious coup if he went there. Probably the biggest statement of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Premier League teams are really really good in recent history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd like to see his Arsenal team actually give Man City a game for 90+ minutes. Arteta's Arsenal has 9 loses in 10 games against Pep's Man City. The single win was in a behind closed doors FA Cup tie early in his stint as manager.

Arsenal taking points off of Man City would be a massive improvement, those games have been a guaranteed 6 points in the league for City every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if the new CL format had been coming in next season, England and Netherlands would have got an extra place each. For 2024/25 it will depend on what happens in the European competitions next season.

You'd imagine the strength in depth of the PL will mean an extra place most seasons but it would be fairly gutting if you squeezed into 5th place only for someone else to lose a European tie that resulted in you not getting into the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Artetas arsenal beat city at wembley in the semis on route to winning the fa cup. It was a big win at the time in fairness

That was a one off game behind closed doors 4 seasons ago. Since then they have lost 6 league games and 2 cup ties against Man City.

Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Everton, Leeds Utd, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, West Brom, West Ham and Wolves have each taken points off of Man City in the same time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Any reason as to why? Big claim to make when the squad should be stronger and the young players a year older.

I’d expect Arsenal to make top 4 next year, mainly because the other teams all have their issues to solve as well and Arsenal have added to their team and, unlike other years when they had good seasons, none of their best players are looking to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yep, when Saliba comes back from holiday and puts pen to paper that's most of the first 11 (not including new signings) contracted to 2026 at a minimum. Which is a decent base to build from. Talk of a new deal for Odegaard shortly too

And Newcastle will have a problem with getting players that are better than their current crew even though I think they massively overachieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don’t expect Newcastle to get top 4 next year unless they go big on signings.

I think Aston Villa could could give it a real run this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t too far off Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Advertisement

Newcastle need to win a trophy. That was their target for last season and but for Nick Pope's rush of blood to the head against Liverpool they may have pulled it off.

Without some silverware they are dependent on the charm of Eddie Howe to get players in that aren't just motivated by money. It's a hard sell for a club that doesn't have a history of success to prove that they're not just in the Champions League because of the poor seasons of Liverpool and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Crystal Palace confirm that Roy Hodgson will manage them for the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Newcastle area in general is a hard sell I'd say. The wives want London and Cheshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trophies mean nothing to players if you can offer Saudi level money and Champion's League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think Brentford may struggle without Toney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I also have Villa, Newcastle and Brighton (probably Tottenham too) in a tier behind Chelsea this year.

Im sure I’ll have completely different predictions by November, but right now it’s hard to see past the Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Liverpool for top 4.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pope should've been sent off in the first leg of the first semi final so he kind of got what he deserved

Yeah, his Ederson style assault was awful. Even though he got the ball, those types of tackles shouldn’t be allowed.

What are the chances that Newcastle just happened to have a camera person at the ready at the random encounter of their new player playing football with the local kids. All while he was out house hunting. So lucky, and obviously never staged or planned to generate the nice clean image of the club being such a family friendly one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

In fairness every club is at it! It's content, I doubt Utd had a piano sitting in the dressing room when Sanchez arrived, you can criticise Saudi Arabia all you want but they are only doing what everyone has being doing for years!

TV Games until October

Saturday 19 August

17:30 Spurs v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

20:00 Man City v Newcastle (TNT Sports)

Sunday 20 August 

14:00 Aston Villa v Everton (Sky Sports)

16:30 West Ham v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Monday 21 August 

20:00 Crystal Palace v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Friday 25 August

20:00 Chelsea v Luton Town (Sky Sports)

Saturday 26 August

12:30 AFC Bournemouth v Spurs (TNT Sports)

17:30 Brighton v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Sunday 27 August

14:00 Sheff Utd v Man City (Sky Sports)

16:30 Newcastle v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Friday 1 September

20:00 Luton Town v West Ham (Sky Sports)*

*Will move to Sunday 3 September, 12:00 BST, if Luton are scheduled to play in the League Cup the preceding Wednesday

Saturday 2 September

12:30 Sheff Utd v Everton (TNT Sports)

17:30 Brighton v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Sunday 3 September

14:00 Crystal Palace v Wolves (Sky Sports)

16:30 Arsenal v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Saturday 16 September

12:30 Wolves v Liverpool (TNT Sports)

17:30 Everton v Arsenal (Sky Sports)*

*Subject to movement dependent upon the participation of Premier League clubs in the Champions League the following Tuesday

Sunday 17 September

14:00 AFC Bournemouth v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

16:30 Newcastle v Brentford (Sky Sports)*

*Subject to movement dependent upon the participation of Premier League clubs in the Champions League the following Tuesday

Saturday 23 September

17:30 Brentford v Everton (Sky Sports)

20:00 Burnley v Man Utd (TNT Sports)

Sunday 24 September

14:00 Arsenal v Spurs (Sky Sports)

16:30 Sheff Utd v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Saturday 30 September

12:30 Aston Villa v Brighton (TNT Sports)

17:30 Spurs v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Sunday 1 October

14:00 Nott'm Forest v Brentford (Sky Sports)

Monday 2 October

20:00 Fulham v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What’s TNT sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't get the comparison to the piano. That wasn't a fake attempt to make the player or club look like nice guys. The Newcastle one even has 'wholesome' in the description (face palm). It's so lacking in sincerity and subtlety that only a despot could think it is good PR.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not quite. Discovery (who own Eurosport) bought 50% of BT Sport last year. They're rebranding as TNT Sport and will subsume Eurosport over the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

From July 2023, TNT Sports will continue the spirit of what BT Sport has built over the past decade. 

This new brand will be brought to life for the first time later this year shortly before the start of the 2023/2024 football season. Until then, fans will continue to enjoy BT Sport on all of its channels and platforms as they do today. 

On forming last year, the Joint Venture announced plans to combine BT Sport and Eurosport UK, bringing together one of the most extensive line-ups of live sports coverage for fans in the UK & Ireland - including the Olympic Games, the Premier LeagueUEFA Champions LeagueUEFA Europa LeaguePremiership RugbyMotoGPUFCBoxingWWE, tennis Grand Slams, cycling Grand Tours and the winter sports season. Eurosport (U.K & Ireland only) will become part of this new brand at some time in the future. 

BT Sport subscribers already enjoy complimentary access to discovery+ which includes Eurosport’s streaming offer and wide range of entertainment programming. 

TNT Sports will have a dedicated brand for the U.K & Ireland that reflects the fan-first approach for which BT Sport has become renowned.

The name already has an association with premium live sport in other countries as part of Warner Bros. Discovery’s family of brands. This includes being home to top-level domestic and European football in a number of countries in Latin America, while live sport has been a staple on the TNT network in the U.S, including the NBA, NHL and NCAA.

The BT and Warner Bros. Discovery Joint Venture was formed on 1 September 2022. 

The internet isn’t for everyone

'Spirit of BT Sport......'

Dontcha just love Press Release Bullsh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well maybe if they meant **** mundane analysis by tedious ex players then it's just telling the truth

If Everton think that Ashley Young is the answer, they’ve asked the wrong question.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement