Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Has anyone an idea of how many listeners RTÉ Gold has - and list out their favourite shows and DJ’s

why are they not in JNLR’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Favourite show at the moment - John Connolly ABC to XTC in the 5pm Saturday slot.

I was a fan of Dalys 80s which used to air few years back in the same slot, which had a blend of 80s music, retro news reports, what was on TV \ cinema etc. Pity they couldn't be pod-casted for the clips, but they'd probably have to shorten the songs to 30 seconds like Desert Island Discs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

RTE Radio 1 and RTE Gold's programming content target the 25-45 + listener age group (A very big + with respect to RTE Radio 1). With respect to FM, 2FM's programming content target the younger 15-25 listener age group. As RTE is a public service provider, they would be called out if they suddenly flipped the format of 2FM to a Classic Hits AC format such as what is RTE Gold or essentially replace 2FM with RTE Gold. They would be accused of cherry picking the lucrative 25-45+ listener age group advertising market for potential revenue purposes and for not committing to providing content for a wide audience.

I don't ever envisage seen 2FM been replaced with RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

They’ve used most of the under employed Rte radio 1 continuity announcers recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is my money's worth.

1.     Would Dave Fanning not be better suited to 2XM as that is RTE's online alternative station (formerly digital of course)?

2.     I do not listen to RTE Gold much on a regular basis with the exception of one programme, which was mentioned above, i.e. ABC to XTC with John Connolly. Incidentally, it appears that is used to be on the aforementioned 2XM. Quite a lot of what John plays could be construed as alternative, albeit of the oldies variety. Generally speaking, I catch it afterwards on the RTE Player. Apart from suiting me timewise, it also means I can skip bits I don't like!

3.     Aidan Leonard is not the only current presenter with pirate experience on RTE Gold.

- Ronan Collins went through the pirates from the mid 1970s to the late 1970s. He went on then to be one of the original presenters on what was then called RTE Radio 2 (2FM).

- John Kenny, who is a stand-in presenter for RTE Gold, has extensive pirate experience, starting like Aidan Leonard in the late 1970s and ending up on the superpirates. There is a case to be made for moving his Classic Rock Show to RTE Gold and then extending it beyond its various brief runs.

4.    It would be great to replace 2FM with RTE Gold on the FM airwaves, but I appreciate that it may not be a straight-forward process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Presumably because it doesn't carry adverts, so just like RnaG - no JLNRs.

Well Bakhurst hinting that digital stations may not be core to RTE so here we go again. Maybe he will put Marty Morrissey on drive time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

If he put Marty Miller (Radio Nova) on drivetime I wouldn't be complaining.

Yeah, I can see RTE Gold being in trouble again. Although he will need approval from the minister to axe any digital service. The problem I have with this guy, like his predecessor is that I see him as just another elite. He's going to be out to prove something, he will spend a couple of years in RTE on a super salary in which he may be successful with axing some services (no great cost savings there), attemting to repair (or make it look like that) then sugercoating RTE's tarnished public image regarding it's core values etc. But in my view, he won't really do anything of great significance. Unfortunately this time round RTE Gold maybe a casualty.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

RnaG is surveyed in the JNLRs. RTE just doesn't publish it , as far as I know.

It's an expensive business paying for the JNLRs so none of the online streams are surveyed but they have plenty of data on listening to Gold online. You're right - no ads or sponsorship so no need to spend on JNLR.

The streams and length of time listening to RTE Gold are rumoured to exceed both RnaG and Lyric. Just a rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE Gold has been on air on Digital, Saorview and Internet for 16 years.

It has built up a loyal audience as listeners don't like a restricted playlist of 300 songs like Classic Hits and Nova. Even the weekend voicetracked shows are very popular.

Scrapping it without testing it on nationwide FM taking in revenue would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

Should just axe 2 fm and put Gold in its place on the fm network.Does nobody realise the 15 to 30 year ods dont listen to FM or any radio for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i think most of the rte commerical enterprises stuff will be paired down but that then leaves the licence fee under pressure for revenue. Rte gold and lyric should survive at least for now.

Good Top 100 today of story songs. This is what Rte gold does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Should be on FM frequency instead of 2FM.

I wonder could they could do a top 100 "live" recordings at some point in the future?

I'm sure the material is there as many artists have recorded and released live versions of their songs. Even some of RTE Gold's playlist consists of songs that were recorded live.

Have they ever done this before?

Don’t think it’s been done before I’m sure they are going to run out of ideas soon!

Really pushing the shite-ometer today with One Day at a Time and Do You Want Your old Lobby Washed Down? minutes apart in the top 10 at ten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I disagree, although not everyone's cup of tea - these 2 songs were huge Irish hits, in the Irish charts, in a different era to now and marked the start of the 1980s in Irish culture and they will be remembered with great fondness.

Now they have started playing their Saturday output on Friday morning with Mickey Mac 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

While I wouldn't actively search for either song to play they were part of Irish radio history. Much like 'Lannigan's Ball', 'the Oldest Swinger in Town' and 'I used to love her'.

That's the great thing about Gold, they play tunes that you might not hear elsewhere. I'd rather those than hearing Toto's Africa (which is overplayed) .

They should play snippets from Harbour Hotel .... or just repeat the whole thing from the start 😀!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I was on the road for about 4 hours that day and yes, that was absolutely brilliant listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Has Micky Mac an extra hour ..on Friday?

I like his Saturday show - he gets on with it and plays lots of songs I had almost forgotten..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Can we organise a whip around to buy Michael Cahill a new compilation CD or even a mix tape please?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭waywill1966

What a cd? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The suggestions of moving Gold to FM, or even replacing 2FM.. I have a feeling that would be the end of Gold as we know it.. A major attraction with Gold, apart from the music, is the lack of BS: ads/news/sport/weather/angelus etc etc..

Presumably a move to FM would mean the introduction of the above? Not to mention a tighter playlist to suit the masses; Less Obscure, More Crowd-Pleasey.

Scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Exactly. Even when it used to be on Radio 1 on Sunday afternoons there was ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Completely forgot they used to do Saturday and Sunday afternoons during the "Emergency"!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Gold playing two tracks over each other inadvertently. One of them has gone into an ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I also disagree. These are original and culturally significant Irish interest songs. They're not my favourites but they definitely deserve the odd outing on Gold.

Advertisement