Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Scandal - Huw Edwards formally suspended over payment of explicit images of teenager Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

Yup. Like @BattleCorp id question the young person suddenly rocking up with a premiership legal team. I do hope this is a hoax or some stupidity on the Sun’s part. If the BBC personality is who I believe it is then I hope they’ll have a hell of a case for defamation and all that goes with it.

Like most things though I find if something doesn’t sit right with me then there’s still a problem and all this first sit right. I would give credence to a mother regardless of her relationship with her son if he is being enabled to take his life in a bad durdction. I would also say it’s questionable to believe the word of an addict if there is s possibility there is something in it for them in denying a story. I’d also say there’s an advantage for an accused with means to help the kid make the story go away. I think if I knew more about the young man’s reasons I might feel more accepting but now these are the questions I have and my gut tells me there’s more to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was a double cross entrapment by the BBC to take out The Sun :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There’s at least one picture on Twitter doing the rounds- whether this is faked or not I just don’t know but many are taking it as legitimate.

Its actually a very sad pathetic story at this point- you would imagine the presenter in question, if they have been a victim of a terrible wrong, and have nothing at all to hide or be ashamed of. would have come out fighting at this point - that hasn’t happened and that’s why I’m ruling out “hoax”- but to what degree this story rises above “nothing to see here” is down to what the investigation uncovers.

Its possible there’s something to see, but it’s private embarrassing for one of more people but not illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe the man charged people to access his OF account and the presenter was one of those?

If so, he obviously sent a pic to the man, but how did his mother see it?

I'm not convinced the pic that's being circulated is real either, but the presenter has been named on several platforms and the pic published so his reputation has been damaged by this shıtshow if he didn't do anything illegal.

I guess if we start referencing those things (which I have too BTW, in my posts) then we’re all just moving away from facts and running with the rest of the herd- that’s why I’m quite skeptical of the sh1te on Twitter and just trying to focus on what Sky, BBC The Sun are saying- which as I type, just shows us how feiced we all are relying on these media outlets for the truth 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's merely your opinion

There has been no need for anyone uninvolved to defend themselves on Twitter

That's increasingly evident as this nonsense is unfolding wherever it leads now

Unless there's an additional underlying motive involved in making a denial it's more sensible to keep out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If the Sun are so concerned about this young man's well being, why did they take two months to publish the story?

As I have already posted is it a coincidence that this story was published just as a massive story about George Osborne was breaking all over social media?

The Sun have form for lying so I am finding it hard too trust them especially if they are going on hearsay from the young mans parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The question I would ask is if the parents were so concerned that a crime was commited why did they not report to the police and go straight to the Sun newspaper instead.

It's alleged they went to The Sun after they contacted the BBC who supposedly did nothing.

Because it would implicate both parties I suspect if dodgy material was distributed...

But then going to the Sun makes it seem just a money grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Using your "logic" then, surely no one on Twitter not involved needed to spend the weekend accusing/speculating on which BBC present let it was?

Just admit you were peddling utter scutter about your misuse of "virtue signalling" and we can all move on.

I get that and think we are on the same page but if I felt a crime was commited my route would not be BBC -> Sun tabloid newspaper. It would be Police -> Police IOPC

Agreed they should have contacted the police and then the BBC. Something smells fishy here.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly this for me.

Also, people are ignoring the fact that Rupert Murdoch will do anything to tear down the BBC. The Sun ran this story based on a parent who is clearly estranged from her son, and The Sun were warned not to publish the story but they did it anyway.

I find it very weird those who are obsessing over who is paying the legal fees for the man’s representation. I would bet a large sum of money that this firm took this case on free of charge, because they’ll get all the attention of taking on The Sun and, if they win, then the onus is on The Sun to pay the bills. They are absolutely certain they can win it too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Is it worth noting that the Sun don't really say they've seen anything (bank statements or screenshots for example)?

They have affidavits from the parents and that's about all their article refers to. There's a vague mention that they've seen documents that support the article, but that could just be there affidavit

Ballsy nice going all in like that though. This isn't going to end well for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Xander10

have The Sun issued any kind of back track ?

couldn't bring myself to google that rag

I hope the Sun gets shutdown for this. As a journalist I know that you always need two independent sources to corroborate and backup your story. The two parents are not two independent sources.

Very shoddy from the Sun here but that's par for the course with the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If it does turn out that the presenter has done nothing illegal, he will still lose his job and be scandalised as a result of this.

Bearing in mind, that same person has spoken out about their depression and mental health challenges in the past. This type of pressure would cause anyone to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very possible the mother and step father have a bad relationship with the son, making any of their claims highly dubious. They are far less likely to know what actually happened than the son himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

There's very little to go by at the moment but it sounds like the young person is denying anything inappropriate happened so maybe the police would have nothing to go by. So the parents decided a different route (public shaming?).

• Advertisement

Hardly obsessing- it’s a legitimate question for all sorts of obvious reasons -

Indeed, if a grown adult insists that nothing illegal or inappropriate happened, then the claims of two relatives are largely irrelevant to the police - they have nothing to go on.

I had a feeling this whole case was a load of baloney the more I read about it (certainly from the legal / criminal viewpoint).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

Well if tge allegations drop away and there is no case to answer then I hope the presenter keeps their job. I feel sympathy for them. Even if they have some things in their private life that you mightn’t expect them that’s they’d business. If they are capable of doing their job it’s all that matters on air IMHO. If they were fir to be on air two weeks ago and there’s no case here then they’re fit to return to air. I think standing by then would be the best Fûck You tge BBC coukd give to Murdich and The Sun.

Not really sure what you are getting at to be honest.

If I knew of something possibly illegal and criminal happened against a family member my second stop would not be the Sun rag of a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Depends on whether your line of what's acceptable is legal Vs illegal. I have higher standards than that, and if it is confirmed that person X has paid 35 grand into a teenager's account, I would tend to welcome the public shaming that the parents are aiming for. Even if nothing illegal per se can be proved. But the facts aren't out yet and that's important to note at this stage.

But yet people are more concerned with that rather than what the solicitors have actually said about the story.

Of all the things that have been claimed by the paper, the mother and the solicitor of the man - who’s paying the legal bill is way down on my list of priorities.

Funny how you talk about how it’s a legitimate question and make zero reference to the answer I provided.

You could definitely argue the case there may have been some sort of rather 'inappropriate' relationship (real or online) going on between the older public figure and the younger adult male, but nothing that would warrant the police being dragged into it or it being front page news for days on end.

If the older male had used the services of an adult rent boy, would that be front page news in this day and age?

Well imagine you are in the UK and you find 17yo son or daughter has sent illicit pictures to somebody online for money.

Sending the picture may be an offence in itself by the 17yo.

So that could explain not going to the police... but it doesnt explain going to The Sun.

Not sure who you would go to tbh.

You never, ever go to The Sun, even if you’re worried about going to the police.

• Advertisement

You go to the Sun if you want money. No other reason.

Advertisement