Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still no Nationwide DAB Radio

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One huge difference between Ireland and the UK is that Ireland still has a full suite of independent local stations producing a wealth of local content, with little to no networking. Perhaps the lack of DAB and tons of spinoff robojock stations from Bauer/Wireless is helping keep that going.

I think the DAB ship has sailed in Ireland tbh, we have enough frequencies in most of the country should there be a requirement to launch more stations.

We've had a net loss of stations in recent years (TXFM) so the audience seems to be well catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I also find it sad that there is no nationwide DAB coverage in the Republic Ireland. I also find the attitude of "not it's too late" rather sad, at a time when countries like France are rolling out DAB more and more. I always enjoy the choice they have in Northern Ireland, - it's much more even in remote locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I still think that over the years that the organisations must of had their equipment upgraded to better FM transmitters at their main sites and relay sites and must surely be capable of transmitting DAB/DAB+ in the same way these days that if you go out to buy a FM radio or a car alongside naturally it will have a DAB+ tuner built in alongside the FM tuner as standard now for an awful long time . So if the transmitters are capable of DAB/DAB+ then all thats needed is a switch on of DAB - as for the red tape of license's etc then i suppose that could be the only reason for them not switching DAB back on in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a wealth of local content but mostly the same thing with little difference in reality.

remember also, ireland has a very expensive model of both doing radio and regulation, the most expensive in the world i believe, so even a decent sized audience is no guarantee of paying the bills.

in most countries or even cities an audience the size of the former TX fm as an example would be enough to pay the bills whereas in ireland it is saw as a tiny audience and can't bring in enough to pay the out of wack costs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think everywhere else in Ireland except in Dublin the choice of music on FM radio is abysmal. If you ever lived in a "DAB country" and are used to the choice you'd miss it immediately. This is especially the case in rural Ireland and even more so as AM stations from the UK will be shut down. Without DAB Irish radio will be dying a slow death driven by stubbornness and constant "now it's too late for DAB" attitudes.

• Advertisement

I totally agree , shocking choice in the rural areas. I should by rights be listening to my Local radio station OceanFM but I am not that much into country and western - so then I have TodayFM on until 4.30pm , thats fine - plays the music I like , but after 4.30pm its the last word (talk show) which I dont want, I want music. Turn to Ocean and its playing either old songs (perfect music mix??? - my arsé!) or promoting new music from local artists (or as I like to say , they most probably get the songs cheap or the artists pay Ocean for exposure/airplay) - OK then there is i-Radio , again not my kind of music a lot of the time because of either too much chat / rapping music - same with 2FM to garage'y wrap music.

Now I have resulted to listening to my old radio station I used to listen to in Luton when I lived there so have HEART Beds and Bucks on my internet radio or phone app (thankfully all without VPN) I am glad they don't block it for Ireland - I have found it to play the music I like , of course the news is not local now and the adverts are not relevant but a really good mixture of songs mainly pop songs from current to sort of maybe the last 10/20 years all popular ones though that were in the charts and no obscure ones or country and western - I should be able to listen to my local radio station but as I say its just (a lot of the time) not my cup of tea/playing the songs I want to hear. - all my FM band here (in Sligo) consists of RTE Radio1, 2FM, RNAG, Lyric (I think) , a bad quality fuzzy Mid-West Radio, Today FM, OceanFM, i-Radio, Newstalk .. and that's it ... Paltry really.

I know I have an Internet radio now so hundreds of stations to choose from around the world, but I still wouldnt say no to a decent DAB/DAB+ service in Ireland . I have DAB radio's in the house so I would still scan the available DAB and see if anything took my fancy. Then I would love to be able to pick up a decent DAB on my car radio when I am out and about - but I wouldnt really want it run by RTE like it was before, I would like to see an independent company start up so the DAB stations available would be a great range, not just RTE owned stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

You might pick up BBC Radio from Brougher Mountain on FM? I take it DAB from NI doesn't make it to Sligo at all?

Monaghan and Dundalk do get DAB from NI, but that's about it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Dab reaches Collooney, it’s always had the tv and radio channels from Brougher as it’s on a good height and is fortunate to pick up an excellent signal!

Agree with most of what you say about the FM availability in Sligo but local stations have a target demographic of certain age groups hence the type of music broadcast. I think Ocean have changed their music to a more pop type output rather than country. There are very few country and trad songs played in the peak time, seems more like stuff from the 60s right up to the present. Marty Probsts show is great, he plays some great oldies!

• Advertisement

yes I like Marty Probst show on the whole. The 2 ones in the morning Joe & georgie I could no longer listen too, nor when marion fitzgerald on (they play country and western corner in peak times and some obscure songs)

Looks like Joe and Georgie are here to stay as Francie Boylan and David have left the station to form their own media company!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

RTE logic at its finest:

Longwave 252: "Why is anyone still listening to that aul thing sure its all DIGITAL now ?

Actual digital service: Shuts it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't see the logic of this at all. Even if we had a DAB service here, nobody in the UK would've been able to pick up the signal. I see your registration date is very recent. Don't tell me you're that Save 252 lad, back to cry about the closure of Longwave again...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I feel FM radio interests me less and less - I just download the segments of the shows that interest me.

I don't have good broadband. Very hard for digital radio stations to operate.

Radio needs a shake up. Dab could usher in choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Bravo - agree - compare us to the U.K. - where most radio stations are available in the car on DAB

When in the UK, Germany, Switzerland or the Netherlands, I don't even bother about FM anymore, simply for lack of choice and sheer and utter boredom. DAB+ simply offers way too much choice to consider FM in these countries.

I dont mean this to sound as its coming out, and that there are no 'superior' countries better than Ireland or anything , but if DAB (DAB+) is "dead" these days as some people are indicating then why does DAB still seem to be doing well in all these countries that have it presently and no talk of the DAB services finishing anytime soon in any of these countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think there is a world of difference between maintaining an existing service and getting a brand new one up and running.

The existing DAB networks also predate the arrival of fast mobile internet. If choice and variety is the objective, then nothing can compete with the internet and no one is going to try, especially now that 5G is the norm.

I was in France last month, no DAB.

would a new one have to get up and running in Ireland there was one already in operation in Ireland a few years back - they just closed it down / discontinued the service - with a plain head on me because I don't know the technical side of DAB broadcasting/transmitting can they not just "re-start it" again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Most people are carrying around a few million worldwide stations in their pocket.

What's the point? Ship has sailed.

We only ever had a very limited transmission network, but the cost of actually putting one in place is only part of it. There would be a massive public awareness campaign required, and you'd need to give people a reason to go out and buy a new DAB radio.

When everyone has a phone in their pocket which can get every radio station on the planet, what's the selling point?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

It’s BBC Sounds all the way for me, both R4 and 6 Music. Luckily, there is good 5G signal where I live and where I drive.

Same with me,I love listening to BBC Radio Scotland via BBC Sounds in the car, Alexa or on a Roberts Stream 93i.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

france is rolling out dab+.

now how far i don't know but they are slowly but surely doing it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

because DAB+ would not eat into anyone's mobile phone data plan and work better in the car when driving than 4G/5G that a lot of places in Ireland does not have proper mobile phone coverage or a weak one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

most companies now offer unlimited/ huge plans that the vast majority of people will never come near using.

Based on that. Money would be better spent covering something people actually use. The mobile network.

As noted above, even the most basic plans come with unlimited data now, and the areas that have poor mobile coverage would also be the last ones to get DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

When everyone has a phone in their pocket which can get every radio station on the planet, what's the selling point?

That it doesn't randomly crash or cut out for no reason which has happened a number of time to me with 2 totally different phones compared to zero times on my pocket DAB radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 The Spare Bowler

It makes my blood boil reading some of the stupid comments here, why should We have to pay a third party a monthly fee to listen to RTÉ Gold. We had a very good dab service here in some parts of the country until a person in RTÉ had it shut down, RTÉ only broadcast dab to less than half the country and then used the excuse that nobody was listening to it. It is not easy to buy a new radio that does not have dab in it, you can not buy a new car today that does not have dab, all new cars must have dab it is a European law. The top managers in RTÉ must be cleared out. I recently was driving to my home in Dublin from Wexford and tried to play RTÉ Gold in my car using my mobile phone and it was a disaster as it kept stopping because the signal was crap and I was driving on the motorway M11. Reading about most countries in Europe rolling out dab makes this country an embarrassment. I recently scanned my dab radio in the carpark at a golf club in the Dublin mountains in Glencullen. And I got 79 radio stations all working from Northern Ireland and north Wales on dab and dab+.

Advertisement