Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In the last 20-30 years the three major Irish processors ABP, Dawn and Kepak went from controlling 50% of the Irish processing market to controlling the UK market and having substantial interesting Europe.

And one of them was in examinership st the start of that time frame

You f@@k Coffey

Ah f@@k up

Just smell it and wake up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Stock must not be that plentiful

I sold a 20 month old bullock last week and I see he’s been killed already

That would not be strange. Dealers in a mart buying cattle will often have numbers booked in before they buy them. It may not cover all they buy buy it will cover some of the cattle that they buy

Slava Ukrainii

It seems a bit of a hatchet job TBF. However unfortunately the reality is the days of live export of calves is numbered

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

Unless cost doesn't come into it and suddenly its gonna be ok to fly them out.... If dairy calves stay... Beef game here is curtains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Not necessarily you'll be able to pick up nearly reared calves for peanuts next year onwards from dairy farmers with new calf welfare rules, if suckler numbers keep up their steady decline the actual kilos of beef produced yearly won't go up by much if anything, if the dairy reduction scheme comes to pass their will be 200k dairy calves born yearly which is another plus, the English/Australian free trade deal re beef is a much bigger elephant in the room

We want costs ( diesel, fertilizer and grain) to go up. That when we make money.

Ya 6+8 week old 70-100 kg calves will change the finances. A mid February calf bought in April will be able to go to grass a dry spring. It will reduce straw and milk costs by about 100 euro compared to a 17-20 day old calf. It will also really show up the poor genetics calf

Slava Ukrainii

Anyone seeing thrive struggling with all the rain.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Plus 1 on the English/Australian free trade deal. It was a massive mechanism these last few weeks to defuse beef price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Not so much with finishing stock at grass but others yes with stemmy grass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The mood of the cattle seems to reflect the weather at the moment: never content and bawling when it's raining and then stretched out sunning themselves when the sun come out.

I'm assuming backing into each other against the ditch during the downpours isn't helping them gain 1kg/day

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Have a load of FR and FRX ready to go, rang this morning and booked for Friday, wanted them this evening but I'm busy.

Around €4.85 at the moment, they will call to confirm on Wednesday.

Coming up on 30 my months so can't hold onto them, and he reckons they'll try get the price to 4.50 by September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Sent some this morning. Ran the bunch over the scales while splitting out the few to go. Had done a good thrive over the past 3 weeks. An average of 1.4kg/day across the bunch. Have been on aftergrass since the last weighing.

Store cattle would definitely be feeling the drop in DM of grass. The bucketed calves have had hay with them in a feeder since turn out. Now with the rain they are hammering through it in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Its gas when agents say they have plenty cattle but he'd have taken them this evening!

No point holding onto them is right, it won't go up now, I doubt they'll manage to drop to 4.50 by Sept but fairly sure they'll break it come October when the 7 month men and 20 month finishers present their cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Never waste a good crisis. We as beef farmers need to come out and say what genetics we want from dairy beef calves, We will be the only pressure relief valve now left. It's simple, provide a better beef sub index in the EBI and a kick up the backside for many of the super short gestation and super easy calving. That combo together has such ill effects what you are looking at 24mths after the calf drops

100% agree that calf exports are finished in the next 24 months. They way I see it is that we will have a contraction in the dairy herd by approx 10-15% as the effects dero and nitrates. This removes approx 150-200k calves out of the system.

It feels like a bit of a pincer movement on dairy farmers, enviro regs, nitrates, dero, milk price and now the calf exports issue coming from all sides. The squeeze is on to cut numbers

First time in a long time I actually feel sorry for dairy farmers as a collective. They're in for an unfair ride. The rug is being pulled from beneath them very soon after they were told to drive on. Its a tough gig and they're reputation has nosedived over the past few years mainly because a few greedy dairy-heroes (who I don't feel sorry for). Teagasc have alot to answer for.

Its been seriously tough for beef lads to make a living for years, thats why for most of us its a part-time gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

With sexed semen use on the increase I’d say there’ll be no friesian bulls in a couple of years. So that’ll be the end of calves been exported anyway. There’ll be that many aa and wh calves the bonuses will probably stop for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I was just about to post similar. The leadership that Dairy Farmers have had and the direction (New Zealand gospel) that Teagasc and IFJ have led them has been almost criminal. With the exception of a small cohort, the majority swallowed the whole EBI waffle hook line and sinker and will suffer the consequences now with no repercussions for Teagasc head brass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

What will be the difference in value of fresian. Under 30 months and over by a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you weren't planning to kill him before 30 leave, he'll probably not be there weight wise.

If he is near enough, it would be worth getting him gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Sorry didn't explain too well .I meant as over 30 months looking bonuses .I find with fresians. a lot don't get bonus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Picking Dasies

Hi All,

21month old bullocks c.500kg, mart now or in Oct?

Unless you are going to put 100+ kgs on between now and mid October I would be inclined to sell in August

Slava Ukrainii

While I feel sorry for them I would be angry with them as well. 5-7 years ago it took a good cow to turn 2k in turnover.

Now a lot of them are telling us it is nearly taking that in costs. Yes fertilizer, electricity, diesel and ration have gone up ( it's gone up in us as well) but has it added 15-20c/K to there costs.

The signs were obvious to anyone that opened there eyes for the last five years that calf slaughter and export were going to be an issue. The derogation and cow banding were oblivious for the last 2-3 years. Housing was obvious for 5+ years as well. But when we argued the point with them the God of turnover was all that was spoken about.

Remember some of these were the lads wanting us to rear heifers for 70-90c/day as sure we were only fooling at beef. Neither could any beef man rent land with the prices they were paying. A lot of them will be chasing tails with because of stupid land rental costs, unable to pay labour costs. As my mother used to say they made there bed now they will have to lie on it.

Some of the larger lads on 200+ acres had nice integrated dairy and beef systems. @Jjameson how is that lad down near you with the tillage, beef and dairy farm going

It's the same with some winter finishers cribbing and crying over the price for the last 6-8 weeks. The fact is if you do not manage your own costs nobody else will.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Slow enough during the dry weather thought they did well enough since rain and growth came. Will be killing a few shortly interesting to see the killout

The contract rearing thing did boil my piss alright. Was approached to do it for a euro a day a few years ago, that would leave me about 30 euro a head for 12 months. I said it would be a bad bullock wouldn't leave me over 200 in a 12 month keep. He started quoting the teagasc tripe about a guaranteed cash flow bla bla. I said not a hope. He's still thick with me. He never found anyone to rear his heifers

Same here slow during the dry weather,then a great thrive until about a week ago after slowing up again now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

The neck ....ffs imagine a lad being thick because you made a decision to run your business the best way for you...

You better off not dealing with entitled pricks like that....they have no respect for anyone but themselves and would ride roughshod over anyone if that attitude is anything to go by.

Effectively this lad is thick because you didn't do something that was bad for you to benefit him if im reading this right......and probably completely lacking in self awareness too....I had what I think is a similar lad near to me annoyed because I wouldn't buy calves off him...they'd split hailstones as I heard a lad say once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I'd take a friesan bull before easy calving Angus any day. Or anything off a cross bred herd.

• Advertisement

The bonuses will remain but the AA one may not be as hot as it is at present

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement