Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

There are two queues. If you choose to join the longer one, that’s on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wonder whether N40E towards the tunnel is now constrained by traffic joining from Mahon and merging poorly into the main flow, forcing bracking and causing a tailback. It looked to me from google that it was clear past Mahon. Remains to be seen how this is over the next few days, but hopefully it'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Sometimes 3 queues - left, straight ahead & right. You know which one you should be in - if not that;s on you.

Are we not describing in this instance a case of 2 lanes into 1? If so, how much of the vanishing lane are you suggesting has been needlessly paved due to it being rude to drive in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

I don't think traffic coming south on the m8 realize that the lane coming from link F ,( City to tunnel traffic ), comes to an end under the flyover and so are reluctant or unwilling to that traffic merge ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Zip merging in the Uk is handled better, both lanes are used up to the merge point, and there's no begrudgery except now and again someone will try to tailgate the car in front and barge in, or someone who has zipped early feels entitled to "their space" and blocks the merger.

The clowns that queue in the left lane with an empty lane outside are just causing a back-up further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

N25 heading into the tunnel doesn’t look as bad this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Yeah much better, reason being the speed van is not there today.

Traffic still coming to short dead stop out on the N25W but the removal of the speed van has made a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

dunno if you've been driving in the UK for much, but their use of zip lane is far far worse than here with frequent road rage incidents should you dare to actually use them as they are intended. Everything from people straddling the 2 lanes to tailgating preventing someone from merging at the end pint and through to fisticuffs are daily occurrences.

From having lived there for much of the past 10 years, Irish driving standards and manners are substantially better than those in the UK.

20+ years ago it was the opposite.

Irish drivers are more polite. Probably too polite. It results in unpredictability on the roads which isn’t a good thing.

I find a higher percentage of Irish drivers not being as competent as UK drivers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Fisticuffs on a daily basis? F..king hell where are you driving ?

40 odd years London and the home counties I haven't seen much road rage, I've had some in Ireland that I've put down to driving a UK reg car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

You haven't seen much road-rage? How did you live in London so long and never use the North Circular Road?

Anyway, the topic: the 30 km/h speed limit on City to Tunnel is permanent (the tight loops on the M50 Red Cow interchange are similarly at 30). The rest of the interchange is on a 60 km/h limit. It remains to be seen whether that 60 limit will extend through to the south side of the tunnel, but it makes sense that it would.

I drove the eastern approach to the tunnel yesterday - seemed pretty good, but with a lot of construction around, there were a couple of spots where I had to navigate coned-off sections and double-check where I was going, but the merging is fairly clear. It is similar to the M50 Red Cow: take your time, get in lane, follow your lane markings, and you're fine. Once commuters have unlearned their lane-choice reflexes it will all flow much better.

The speed van comment previously is spot on: I was at the 60 km/h limit on the approach, a car ahead of me which had been going at the same speed as me slammed his brakes (down to about 45) as soon as he saw the van. I was driving at a quiet time when traffic could have driven much faster than 60, so I understand why the vans are there, but some drivers' response to seeing a camera van makes the road more dangerous.

Assume no issues at all on the M8 to City movement? I couldn’t see there being enough traffic to cause any issue at all with this movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Seems to be behaving itself.

Also, the N25W to N40S was much better this morning - agree with above that the removal of the speed van solved that issue. That said, traffic did seem very light this morning in general.

I'm still worried about the evening traffic N40N, but we'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wonder will the lower speed limits through the interchange (60/30) result in traffic jams further back at peak times due to the accordion effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accordion_effect

Will we see the new electronic signage used to introduce variable speed limits further back to control the flow of traffic to the intersection?

N40E backing up from tunnel to Bloomfield already.

Someone mentioned this slowdown could be caused by traffic joining from the Mahon slip pulling out into the overtaking lane. I think that is a factor along with the large overhead VMS on approach to the tunnel advising everyone SLOW DOWN\new layout ahead - which is totally understandable when you have so many workers onsite.

The old roundabout in the south side is now being broken up.

Interesting that workers are using the N25 to M8 north bridge and embankment to access where the roundabout used to be in the absence of traffic lights. All of these little things had to be considered at planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If you're leaving little island east, heading for tunnel, is that auxiliary Lane open the whole way down? Looking at Google, it seems slow where traffic merging is happening, but lighter at the tunnel/interchange.

Wonder will traffic leaving little island east realise it may be quicker to go to new dumbell and join there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

From Google maps the slowdown does appear to be centred around the Mahon slip and traffic improving again closer to the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KeKe

I'm still confused regarding the Tunnel -> M8 northbound speed limits (7min to 8:24). Even the person in the video was unsure too. So it goes from 35km/hr to 100km/hr ? I was driving it today and stayed to 35 to be safe but everyone got into right lane and was overtaking me at higher speeds. The cars merging from N8 were definitely not doing 35km/hr. Even more strange as the cars in the opposite direction (INTO the tunnel) are going 60km/hr.

35kph is not an enforceable speed limit in Ireland. Hence the limit is 60kph until it turns 100kph.

35kph is only an advisable speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Apologies for being OT, but let me defend my opinion. FWIW I've over 50 years of driving experience in Ireland, The UK, and mainland Europe.

This 'When two lanes merge into one, the vehicle in the through lane – the lane that is not ending – has the right-of-way. The merging car is required to yield to traffic'.from https://www.ayresassociates.com/breaking-down-the-zipper-merge/#:~:text=When%20two%20lanes%20merge%20into,required%20to%20yield%20to%20traffic.

Once a queue is formed in the through lane and there is no queue in the ending lane I prefer to join the end of the queue in the through lane, no matter how far it is to the end of the ending lane as I feel I have no right to join at the top of the queue, the corollary of which is, I feel no obligation to let in late joiners who overtake the queue by shoot up the empty closing lane, although I sometimes do.

But here's an option that makes some sense quoted from the same article, States promoting the zipper merge have one grand secret to success: don’t tell which lane will close! When drivers see signs alerting to an eventual lane closure, they become more alert to changing conditions but use both lanes as long as possible.

BTW, I've never heard the term 'Zipper Merge' until it appeared in this thread, excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

M8 towards Tivoli? I believe there are problems but only because of the N25-M8 flow. Too early to judge this one I'd say for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Apologies if posted before, been a lot of posts here in the past few days...

Whether or not a country officially mandates zipper merge/merge-in-turn, if you pave and paint 2 lanes, there are two ways they can be used, one of which is bonkers:

1. Drive in both lanes and pick a moment to merge some time prior to where the second lane merges. This approach relies on goodwill from the users of the through lane, but helps shorten the overall tailback due to using the full capacity of both lanes. Using the second lane is not discourteous to users of the through lane, as they are completely at liberty to do the same, thereby balancing queue lengths. Nobody has to feel like a victim of "queue jumping". Many countries actively promote this approach.
    2. Avoid the lane that will end more or less as soon as it is known that it will end. In this scenario, why bother paying to build the rest of that second lane? This approach will always lead to longer tailbacks, and I'm not aware of any country where they build 2 lanes while instructing motorists not to use one of them.

5km tailbacks past Bloomfield on N25E from the free flow interchange again. Queue growing towards Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Live shot coming out of the tunnel is moving fine, seems to be some issue merging somewhere along Mahon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I drove this yesterday and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it was backed up to the tunnel and then free flowing straight after it.

Advertisement