Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I watch a serious amount of Camogie (in person and live - for my sins at times!)

Cork have gone completely backwards with their current management team. They need awful freshening up. Have been useless all year save for the performance over Clare.

KK really haven’t been bad this year. The Wexford comeback was a complete miracle so I wouldn’t begrudge KK for that. The Tipp match they were essentially through anyway and Tipp are really impressive after getting rid of some deadwood that previous management stuck by.

Agreed on the standard though; it’s poor and is really waiting for a new team to boom (I wouldn’t say Tipp are new/fresh). Waterford and Clare particularly pique my interest, especially Clare if they had the right management in place.

Might sound a bit silly, but top level club Camogie is a better spectacle at times, save for the many bluffers in charge that think they have it solved. I still think too that there isn’t enough females involved properly in management teams. Even the Antrim ‘manager’ has no say whatsoever in what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The half forward line is a huge concern, Limericks half back line will eat them without salt if they line up the same, Lyng will have to mix it up, everywhere else I think KK match up quite well and as Cathal Whelan, Mark Rodgers, Patrick Horgan and Jake Morris have shown Limerick are very vunerable at the back without Finn, all the full back line had a go on Whelan on Saturday and couldn't handle him.

I would probably start Walter Walsh to try and nullify limericks aerial dominance in the half back line, at least with Walsh you know after 10 minis if he is on a going day or not. Phelan was the best of the half forward line yesterday but he lets his man do a lot of hurling, if Byrnes or Hayes get the ball that Diarmuid Ryan got yesterday KK will be in big trouble.

Fascinating battle ahead and will be intriguing to see how it plays out, Kinnerk is a huge Ace card for Limerick the fecker is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

There was/is a lot of talk that the referee favoured KK and there were a few questionable calls alright but how was Diarmuid Ryan not sent off for that tackle on Hogan, its exactly the type of tackle they are supposed to be trying to eradicate.

A lot of people also saying that Lyons is generally a good referee? Is he, jaysus he hides it very well if he is, always trying to be the center of attention and throws out yellow cards for fun for the first 40 or so minutes and then you would nearly have to kill a lad to get a second one, why put yourself in that position?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

For some many year's the entire country were shouting against ye in the final, now ye may have the reverse this year!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Re wexford - 10 points up is more a monumental bottle job than a miracle!

If they had finished that , they would be into the semi final.

Re Tipp - once again another chance to qualify directly.. didnt score for 17 minutes, and just grabbed a draw.

That team is underperforming , and you mention deadwood.

Theres still a bit of woodcutting to be done. Too many of them went missing at vital stages yesterday. ( Nolan, Power , Kenneally, Malone were anonymous throughout)

I think the Intermediate team would beat the Senior side at this stage..... Went unbeaten throughout, and would be favourites to win it out i think.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That Intermediate competition is a bit silly though. Galway's team was essentially their Juniors (as anyone part of the winning panel last year wasn't allowed play again), and Dublin had a disaster at all levels, so basically KK were always going to get Top 2 anyway. Still a good chance they'll win it out, but will have a tough game in semi and final.

I think you may be slightly underestimating Tipperary and how good they are currently. But ya it doesn't take away from the fact that KK Seniors could maybe do with a change anyway. Dowling has won 2 Senior All Irelands with them in 4 years of Management. May well finish up with them now and allow a newbie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Lads here were slating Lyng and Co. when he played Doyle against Tipp in the league.

A lot of lads here have slated the county board when results have gone against us at underage - meaningless competitions in the grand scheme of things. The same county board has not only overseen the transition from the most successful inter county manager to a completely new management team but also facilitated consecutive senior All Ireland appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Have to agree, Billy got through an awful lot of off the ball work yesterday, as did Conor Fogarty. Conors track back and ultimate block was die hard stuff.

Have to mention Deegan too, I have been critical of him before. His distribution and calmness on the ball yesterday was notably different and a huge improvement IMO. The substitutes all had a positive impact too.

Lots to be positive about, the team are clicking under Lyng. Lots to work on too for the next 2 weeks, a fantastic place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You're right about his work rate and he did get a nice point but he still frustrates the life out of me, I've said it on here before he has all the tools to be a lethal weapon in this team but I wonder is it a confidence issue or something. I don't know what it is but he doesn't seem to believe in his own ability and he definitely hasn't played to his full potential yet. Hopefully he can deliver a big performance on the biggest day of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

First of all what a win yesterday! it looked like we were throwing away another lead but the way they fought back control of the game after going behind and then again after the Clare goal was superb. At various points over the last few years we've all been frustrated and critical of how things have gone but I think we have to give credit to players and management for yesterdays performance. The most satisfying part was when Clare put the pressure on and had us on the ropes we didn't revert back to lumping ball forward, we still played through the lines and tried to keep to the game plan, the introduction of Cian Kenny was vital for this and he got a point and set up Deegan for another. I was really impressed with our management yesterday the kept calm and all the subs that came on made a big difference but again didn't alter the game plan or what we tried to do. I thought Huw and Mikey were excellent again yesterday and the much maligned Paddy Deegan had a really good game and his use of the ball was excellent as was his point in the second half. Conor Fogarty is another who get's criticism here but I thought he did his job really well yesterday and that block on Rogers was as good as you'll see. The work rate of our forwards was exceptional and the amount of times we overturned Clare backs and midfielders by just getting bodies around and making them make mistakes. I thought Mullen was excellent his work rate and hooking and blocking were brilliant and he chipped in with 2 vital scores. Eoin Cody has really stood up this year too and the captaincy seems to have brought the best out of him and he was well deserving MOTM.

I've purposely haven't mentioned 2 players above but there contributions yesterday were massive. I've probably ben critical enough of Eoin Murphy and his distribution but when you see the saves he made yesterday you see how vital he is to the team and his distribution yesterday was better and it looked like they had really worked on it over the last few weeks. In fairness to him he had been making these spectacular saves year in year out for us but that save yesterday from Duggan must go down as one of the great all time saves!

And then you have TJ! I don't think there's much to be said that hasn't already been said about him but what a performance again yesterday from him! From the start he set the tempo and led by example with his work rate and ball winning. He was so unselfish in his play also and dragged Cleary on a tour of Croke Park which left space inside which Cody was able to exploit. His pass for the goal aswell was inch perfect and a lesser player would have panicked and played the pass to early or too late! Even at the end he was back winning balls in the ruck and his free taking once again was perfect. I think we can safely say that he will go down as our greatest ever player and the way he's carried this team the last few years has been exceptional!

Limerick in 2 weeks time will be a massive test but we've shown this year that we've got better with every performance and we won't be found wanting in effort or commitment but we probably will need a little luck to go our way too but it's definitely not beyond us and I think if Limerick are to win 4 in a row they'll have to do it the hard way against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

I am very grateful and proud of Kilkenny’s awesome performances in both hurling and camogie yesterday. Kilkenny defeated a great Clare team by work ethic, hunting in packs around the middle third, great blocking & hooking and efficient striking. Our camogie team came within a point of beating a great Cork team although without our injured player of the year, Miriam Walsh. Denise Gaule had another stormer.

A special thank you to both backroom teams and to the older hurlers  who will be contesting their sixth out of the last nine All Ireland hurling finals. Brian Dowling has done an outstanding job with Kierans and the Camogie team. Likewise, Derek Lyng has brought a more collaborative team with diverse personalities and skills to motivate a more complex group.

I appreciated the efforts of the entire hurling team & panel in the win yesterday. As with all Kilkenny teams the scorers, freetakers and play makers grab our attention and the awards. Also, as with all Kilkenny teams, there is tireless hunting, blocking, hooking by others which provides space and opportunity to the scorers. Fogarty, Blanchfield, Billy Ryan, Tom Phelan, Mossy (despite not 100%) and Donnelly, worked their socks off to close down Clare in the middle third. As a result the Clare flow and offloading which was very effective in Munster was severely hampered. The goal for instance came from Billy’s hook.

The biggest lesson has been learned and applied: yesterday we played our trump card by bringing on 5 great, experienced, calm subs to re-energize us for the last 15 minutes; our Achilles heel period in all games this year. I expected Clare to surge for a spell and specially for their great HBs to dominate the last 15 minutes which they did in all games up to now. Our backs limited the damage during the 3rd quarter when I would argue Kilkenny rested and contained Clare to a 2 – 3 point lead, knowing that we would win the last 15 for a change. 

All six backs and Eoin Murphy (fantastic saves) were great. Especially proud of the OLG trio’s great contribution, Mikey, Huw and Paddy. We saw why Tommy Walsh is there; his strength under the dropping ball for the very big players at this AI stage; and his speed training is kicking in. The team upped the work rate for the last 15 to what we saw in the 1st half and this helped us to get over the line. Great to see Ritchie Reid recovered; he is having his best year at club and IC and his distribution and reading of the game is emulating his better known brother. TJ is staking a strong claim to the best hurler ever; his work rate yesterday was off the charts; his striking is so smooth & effortless. Mullen is the best MF in the country and his engine, blocking, hooking, positioning sense, distribution and long distance shooting are superb. Cody is fantastic and deserved MOTM. 

Lastly, as fans we need to recognize that the games and training up to the end of the Leinster RR are endurance training. Like Eamon Coughlan at 1,500 and 5,000, endurance training takes up most of the season; he concentrated on speed training in the few weeks before the Olympics and WC. We seem to be doing the same at all levels, camogie and hurling.

I am more confident about facing Limerick after yesterday’s performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Brian017

Re Kilkenny qualifying for the SF if they had beaten Wexford. I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Tipp won the group and had to play a QF.

The group winner that didn’t get the bye was drawn at random and that ended up being Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭murtyd17

What's the story with cillian Buckley getting married the day before the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Richie looked slow running towards the ball alright . TJ has another year or maybe two in him, but maybe he will decide to call it a day this year with a new child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭blackcard

In a photo of the save, there are 2 Clare players, Duggan and Fitzgerald. There are 10 Kilkenny players inside the 21. Murphy, Huw, Tommy Walsh, Butler, Richie Reid, Buckley, Padraig, Wally, TJ and Cian Kenny. All hands on deck with 30 seconds to go

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Surely it would be better to bring on Billy Drennan who has the young legs and is deadly accurate from play as well as frees than Hogan? Drennan work rate was questionably at times during the league but he most have grasped what is now required to be a top class inter County player.

Limerick had 26 scores, 2-24, against Galway. We had 26 scores, 1-25 against Clare. So there is definite potential for more scores if the 5 forwards who didn't score from play contribute more

In fairness to our forwards, Donnelly, Phelan, TJ and Billy Ryan do a lot of tracking back and tackling

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

And another flying high here in Rhode Island. watched the semifinal while anchored off a beautiful New England island yesterday. Nearly as good as being there. Feeling better than last year as far as our chances!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement

She really is something else. A joy to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wedding date was booked with the intention of the Saturday after the AI final and last years final was used as a reference point, but the final was moved a week later this year which has created this scenario.

Agree completely. Actually, a couple of my favorite matches were intermediate finals. Camogie has improved so much. some of the small rule changes really had an enormous positive impact on the game, IMHO. Definitely underrated & sad to see empty stadiums at big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Definitely a confidence issue with Billy, he has the pace of a young Eddie Brennan, I’ve seen him in full flight, he just doesn’t seem to use it enough.

It was his flick that dispossessed Hayes yesterday so his workrate can’t be questioned.

I just think Billy has so much more to offer, he knows that himself and so does Lyng, let’s hope it comes out in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Watched last year's final back there last night and my observation is this. We let Limerick off to a five point lead and were chasing the game from the start. They started brilliantly in fairness and Hegarty scored a brilliant goal early in the game but we settled and chased them down. We got level in the second half but couldn't get in front of them.

They were able to just keep their noses in front and that's how the game panned out. They didn't blow us away in the third quarter like they do to most teams. I'm hoping this year that Blanchfield can pick up hegarty from the start and limit his influence.

We have a chance to turn the tables if we can get ahead of them and make them panic a bit. If we do one of them will go down to reset and get instructions in to their men.

Eddie Brennan made a great point on the independent podcast that there is nothing stopping the opposing manager to do the same thing to them if that happens. Stop the game right after they reset with one of our own especially if we are leading and see how they react.

Mickey Carey hurled a good game in the final last year also and is a loss to the panel but I'm hopeful we can be ahead by a couple of points coming down the final straight and not chasing the game and if so we won't panic or die that I am certain of with these lads.

Lying has stepped up to the plate and his use of subs was crucial on Sunday, he is cool on the line and has us mixing up our game much better this year even when under pressure. I am quietly confident for us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Good post. Just from memory the great TJ singlehandedly kept us in the game in the first half. with one of the best 35mins ever in Croke Park. We got a great impact off the bench from Wally also in the second half, and when the game was going away from us we got another kick off David Blanchfield. I also remember Hugh(Hue, Huw, Huh) Lawlor gave an exhibition in the full back line, cleaning Gillane and allowing us to press high on Limerick. With the exception of Hegarty Limerick were average in that final.

Limerick gave Kilkenny a good trimming in the league final this year without Kyle Hayes, Declan Hannon, Will o Donoghue and Tom Morrissey was introduced at HT. Kilkenny were without TJ and Tom Phelan

In fairness Lyng said the older lads like Hogan aren’t there for what they’ve done in the past and it’s all about what they’re producing in training so it’s up to young Drennan to put his hand up . You also can’t beat a bit of experience to manage the game and see it out in the last ten minutes when you’re under pressure.

I thought Richie was very clever, he had no teammate with him so used all his experience by keeping possession until he was either fouled or could get a shot off. He ended up winning a very important free and nearly more importantly killed a good bit of time when we were running down the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I posted earlier in the season that the veterans deserved great credit for making themselves available from the start this year, particularly C Buckley and P Walsh who turned out in Walsh Cup games. In doing so they were giving the younger lads every encouragement and showing them what's required in terms of attitude, work rate etc. As the stakes increased those older players weren't found wanting.

Whatever the result in the final we can look back on the progress made this year with great assistance from K Buckley, P Walsh, W Walsh, C Fogarty, R Hogan and of course TJ. The younger players will be all the more mature in the coming years thanks to those players.

Absolutely, I was watching the way the older lads like Pádraig, Cillian and Hogan celebrated with Lyng and Rice after the game and I thought it showed a real togetherness in this panel, all happy to play their part in whatever way they can, be it from the start or to come on for the last ten minutes to see a game out.

There just seems to be a greater warmth between the players and Derek Lyng than there maybe was with Brian Cody and before anyone gets excited that’s in no way a criticism of Cody but it’s well known that he wasn’t the arm around the shoulder type of guy and that’s okay too as that was his management style but it’s not for everyone and definitely the older players appreciate a bit more communication in my opinion. I honestly believe that’s why they gave it another go this year for Derek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rathmineslad

kilkenny camogie team, too many players that are not performing at top level especially the forwards,depending on gaule for bulk of scores, a lot of these players on the team for last 10 years where other camogie teams have recycled 2 or 3 teams over this period - the subs bench lacks depth and looking at the under age structure would not be confident of a supply of players who will be make the senior grade, possible intermediate team material and thats where we might win the silverware for the next couple of years intermediates have a good chance of silverware this season and have played well all season but the test is when they come against teams who are a true intermediate team (first team for county) manager brian dowling and his backroom team have done a great job to win there all irelands in the last couple of years, as a regular attendee at matches i am more hopeful than confident of the progress required over the next couple of years

Advertisement