Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

And the N24

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Charleville will not need a ring road IMO. It will have the junction at O'Rourke's cross on the northern side. This will allow traffic from the north to access it.

The Buttervant junction will be the southern access, the road from Charleville to Buttervant is a good quality corridor at present it will be more than adequate for access to the motorway. The last bit into Buttervant may need realignment. ( I presuming that access to Buttervant is on the northern side as on the southern side it would be crazy.

Charleville is not that busy a town( compared to Ennis or Nenagh. Mallow will need a bypass as it has substantial traffic from east or west

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is already movement on a Charleville relief road. Unlikely to be a full bypass, could even be handled through a Part 8,

The east/west bypass on Mallow is much further along in design but funding hasn't been provided to complete design and get it in to ABP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mallow Relief Road started planning in 2016 and just finished route selection.

Tbh at this stage I'm amazed it hasn't been subsumed into the M20 project, as it was in 2010.

It is better off staying separate from N/M20 until after planning has been achieved. Getting the necessary financial commitment for construction could be an issue for M/N20 without adding to the cost. If M/N20 is to be phased and Mallow RR is ready for tender at the same time, then it would make sense to combine them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Agreed on that, so long as the planning of both are with the other in mind.

The Mallow relief road is actually advancing at a slower rate than the M20, which is quite an achievement for a 4km single carriageway across flat land versus the biggest road scheme ever attempted in the history of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can it be handled as a part 8 if it is a new build National Road going through farmland etc, rather than just a widening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Here's the eastern edge of the Mallow scheme, with the route corridor of the N20 marked in yellow. It's easy to see this scheme as forming part of a final N20 "Mallow" Junction. I think the N20 will have to be elevated here, so the relief road could be built ahead of the motorway.

A Charleville relief road clearly wouldn't be a National road, the N20 is the only N road there and it will have a new route, separate to the RR.

2 bridges over/under the M20 look pretty unnecessary there. Surely the Relief Road could be integrated into the N72 west of here and avoid that cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If its built first, the Charleville relief road (if its a N-S bypass) will likely take N20. Didn't the likes of Enfield do this before the M4 was built?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Yes. Enfield bypass was opened in 2002, well before the M4 section opened in late 2005 (I think). But you have to ask is this the best way to approach these problems. If you look at the map below you now have a three roundabout section of road that is probably completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Is Fermoy still suffering traffic issues? Any time I'm there things seem to be pretty good?

Not sure if it's just my computer but I can't seem to see the detail from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was going posting some and I had put you user name on it. However I deleted the post but could not delete you username. If you nark a post with a username @........ You cannot delete the name

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

As someone who travelled on that road before the M4 was built, the Enfield bypass was a sh1te road - you were better off going through the town. Eventually most other drivers discovered that too and reverted to the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Any idea when the Design phase is due to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

How long is a piece of string but 6 to 12 months might get you into the ballpark. TII indicated at the recent Oireachtas Committee Meeting that they hoped to have the Business Case submitted by the end of 2023 which is a key milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Fermoy has significant west - east transit issues. There is no direct N72 access to the M8 which is a huge oversight. It’s a much bigger issue than the toll.

No relief road in sight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can't understand that.

Another example of the same thing is in Portlaoise. The N77 has direct access to the M7, but the N80 does not.

I presume in the cases of the N72 and N80, there may be some plan somewhere to create new roads, hence the omission? If there are, I doubt those plans will ever come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

In the case of Fermoy, I think it was driven by cost as the Blackwater would cause complications. That and the need for additional toll booths.

Would be very easy to have N72 access southbound on the east of the town. Northbound would require a more complicated set of slip roads.

Access from the West would require some sort of relief road.

Ideally, an N72 bypass is required around the north of the town requiring a third bridge and a junction with the m8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes. N72 runs along the Blackwater, and the M8 crosses it at great height. Any junction there would have been very expensive, especially with the need for tollbooths. I imagine a future N72 southern bypass of Fermoy could fix the issue, but it's a long diversion, and most cars would still go through the town.

But to be honest, Fermoy still has busy traffic now, but it's nothing like the total logjam it used to have before M8 opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

An N72 bypass around the north of Fermoy would likely cut right through the land of a very wealthy family with significant political pull. Their business provides hundreds of millions of euro to the exchequer and it's employment both direct and indirect is significant. A major road through their land would be incredibly disruptive to the business.

In addition the first few kilometres outside the town to the west live multiple millionaires along the blackwater with very deep pockets.

Can't see it happening. Opposition would be phenomenal.

A southern bypass has geography against it (nagle mountains) but could possibly encounter less opposition.

Another issue is the R666 which carries significant traffic flows from east/west along the north bank of the river. It joins the N72 in Fermoy. A significant proportion of drivers who don't choose to stay on the N72 at Lismore choose the R666 before rejoining the N72 again in Fermoy. Sat navs direct drivers towards the R666 when coming from the Waterford direction when they get to Lismore as it's shorter. If a southern route was considered then potential linking of the R666 to the N72 east of Fermoy would be a significant challenge given the fact the N72 between Tallow and Fermoy runs along the peak of a hill dividing the blackwater valley from the bride valley. The R666 runs along the bottom of blackwater valley. There's a few hundred meters of elevation between the two.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well you could have all the non Green ministers we have had over the years who also never got this road built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

It was at ABP in 2010. Until the Troika arrived as the countries finances were in meltdown. It had to be cancelled then as we simply didn’t have the funds to CPO the land etc

Yes I didn't even think of the N72 issues thanks. To be honest though I didn't really notice this because having spent quite a bit of time in Fermoy before the M8, it feels like another planet! I don't think it's primarily an M8 access issue though? More likely a Lismore/Dungarvan traffic issue, it seems to me.

As ColemanY2K says above, the R666 is probably taking as much traffic as N72 East of Fermoy, or at least that's what it feels like when I'm on both. You could probably join the two just East of the town itself, with a new bridge just by the WWTP.

I'm open to correction but not sure "had to be cancelled" is fully accurate here? Obviously there was no funding for the full construction but some sums of money could have been allocated, as they were to other projects. A difficult decision was made to drop this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

It was at ABP. Had it been approved the Gov had 18 months to buy the CPO land. And would be expected to commence construction fairly imminently. I’m fairly sure the planning decision doesn’t last forever, it’s not as if they could say we’ll build it in 10 years time.

Yes, that makes perfect sense, but could they not have CPO'd the land and kept the process alive? Would the planning decision for a piece of national infrastructure like this just "lapse" if the project isn't completed by 10 years?

I think there was something like 150m worth of land to be CPOd so the entire thing was scrapped.

A horrendous decision in hindsight but that was the zeitgeist at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think you've invented a straw man. The green party hasn't opposed the M20.

All parties are bound to emissions targets and the simple fact is building new motorways is counter productive to this. Exceptionalism is being applied to the M20 and a few other small exceptions which are being progressed for the sake of safety, port access and removing heavy freight from town centres.

As long as we acknowledge that building the M20, M11, M28 and Foynes motorway means that we'll have to seek efficiencies elsewhere like taxing work place parking and cars will likely be banned or heavily restricted from city centres in any case.

It really has nothing to do with the green party or any hypothetical future government. We have about 1,300 deaths a year in Ireland from air pollution and the human food chain is already impacted by climate change. That's the reality we're facing now.

Advertisement