Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Millionaires, no but people in white collar jobs without employer-provided insurance, yes in my experience.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

I was living in the UK during the Thatcher years, and I distinctly remember hearing it discussed how the Tory strategy was (in part anyway) to screw over the bottom third of the voters to get the votes of the other two thirds. The poor were monstered by the press (single mothers and "dole scroungers" were favourite targets). It seems a zero-sum view of politics is a big part of any FPTP system, and in my own experience, many (not all, but many) "middle class" English people were happy to distance themselves from the "oiks" and the "chavs": they don't really care that the poor need food banks, to be honest.

<Speculative waffling begins here ...>

As for why so many Britons feel antipathy to the concept of the EU, I think it comes down to their sense of identity. We can all change opinions that don't really matter to us, but it's very hard for us to change our sense of identity, our sense of who we are. And to many English people in particular, their national mythology, their sense of identity, is rooted in a thousand years of war with European countries, especially France and Spain, the defeat of the Spanish Armada, Waterloo, Trafalgar, etc. ad nauseum, in being the originating country of the English language, in the Imperial measurement system, in a sense of national superiority because of Empire and their leading role in the Industrial Revolution, and in "winning" the second world war against Germany and Italy, and in a smug feeling that the "continentals" (like the Irish) are simply lesser mortals. Accepting parity of respect with other European identities was too big an ask for many English people. They need to feel better than everyone else and the EU threatens to take that away from them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Rich people are rich because they have deep pockets and short arms. The cash drops to the bottom never to find its way out.

It is always a mistake that just because someone can afford something, they wish to pay for it. Look at how popular freebies are, and how many 'goody bags' are given out to celebrities at major events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Interesting. The thing about Thatcherism makes sense until they forgot to add to that 66% cohort. Once too many people get disenfranchised with the system, you can use culture war tactics as a plaster until the next economic crisis hits and here we are.

I think the problem with Britain's place in the EU boils down to the simple fact that the Leave side from 1975 just kept going while nobody ever made an argument for the EU as a political project. We saw this quite clearly in 2016 where everything was about material benefits. Here's an example:

I'd put this down to the UK's imperial past and distance from the continent. We don't see the same thing with Ireland as Ireland's past isn't seen as being glorious so it's not something anyone in Ireland really wants to go back to.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

So you've finally given up on Starmer?

For a while here you were defending him, a position I couldn't understand as he made concession after concession to the (far) right.

To me, he's making the same mistake that Democrats made in America (and probably being advised by the same advisers) that you gain more votes moving to the right than you lose by disaffecting your own voters.

That (maybe) worked for the Democrats until Donald Trump came along, and they eventually had to draw a line in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

"We don't see the same thing with Ireland..." - absolutely, and not just in Ireland. The UK is anomalous among European countries in that it has managed to remain "undefeated" in a way that few other countries have managed. In some ways many EU countries have risen from the ashes of WW II, to forge new political systems, new identities, and a forward looking view. The UK were denied that opportunity to reset and rebuild. Except perhaps for the incredible work of the first post-war Labour government, the UK hasn't really changed that much, it really does seem to be trapped in the past, politically.

Post edited by swampgas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember being in parts of England recently that were so poor that even the charity shops had bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Many a true word said in jest.

Its the supermarkets in which even fairly run of the mill items, like nappies and sanitary products have security tags on them, that really portray the endemic poverty across so much of Britain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In my local Tesco, they hide the expensive whiskey on special offer - not sure why. It is either the shoplifters are picky, or they prefer not to sell the premium whiskey at a low price.

I have heard that UK supermarkets have security tags on everyday items says a lot. Having security tags on beef steak says a lot more about poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Funny enough sanitary products are one of the most requested items at food banks.

Regular people with little money will spend it on food and have to do without everything else.

I've lived in poor parts of both countries but only in the UK have I met people with non drink/drug addicted people who had been to food banks or similar.

• Advertisement

He's never conceded anything to the far right. He's a centrist.

I've cooled on him simply because he's provided nobody with anything they can use to promote him, get excited about him or even to defend him. I don't think the Democrats made any such mistake to be honest. Traditionally, you win by being in the centre. Trump and Brexit were temporary aberrations but the Democrats are governing in a sensible if uninspiring manner and we're waiting for Keir's milquetoast policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Would you see a documentary like this on DE, FR, ES, IT?

Britain has a historically low unemployment rate of 3.6%. Yet poverty levels are breaking all records. It’s a paradoxical situation: almost 15 million Britons are considered poor these days, although there’s almost full employment. The reason: inflation and high energy costs.

Disadvantaged Britons are dying 10 years sooner than their wealthier compatriots - victims of what’s become known as the "**** life syndrome” - a life marked by poor living conditions, disease and addiction. Documentary profiles people who have a job but can still afford nothing

"I know you are trying to help me, but It's not the thought of dying that stresses me, it's the thought of living."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Their 'official' employment / unemployment figures appear to be a joke. 3.6% unemployment would suggest a booming economy, but we're hearing numerous stories of food banks and millions of people living in abject poverty (possibly as high as 25% of the population).

I'm fully aware we have our own poor and left behind in Ireland, but the situation in Brexit Britain seems really dire. That Tory regime of the last 13 years has a lot to answer for.

Because in the UK you can have a job and still need a food back. It noticeably different to here where outside of the housing problem anyone willing to work is doing well comparatively.

(Despite what CA/IMHO posters like to tell you 🤣)

It was really weird to stand in an English town and see signposts for foodbanks, some now in what were before 08 libraries. I did join a local library there but the staff were constantly having to help older people access their welfare services online.

Many places in England felt they were being wound down.

The gap between rich and poor seems much bigger in Britain. The richest 5% (invariably toffs and Tories) are awash with cash and property whereas those in low paid jobs are really struggling and living from week to week.

Many places in England are being wound down.

There are towns in Yorkshire the size of Limerick who only existed because of long gone mines. The people moved in for mines and now really really need to move back out if they can because those towns are grim.

Had to do a fair bit of my NIN and other applications down in Catford library and there was a heavily booked out list for about 20 computers (iirc). Thought it was weird in the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You watch this video and you ask yourself how are the Tories constantly getting back into power.

Hopefully for the UK's sake that Labour wins the next GE but it will take decades to fix the UK after what the Tories have done.

It's absolutely shocking that you can have a system with a party 20 points behind in polls and we are still having to talk about the possibility they might not lose.

Pretty sure Blair won his last "majority" with 34% of the vote which is batsht.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And this is the point where libertarians and right wingers' solutions is to simply opine that the working class need work harder, or find another job. We've seen it already, that the working class are lazy, should simply retrain or switch jobs. Heck it's a common refrain here within certain sections of poster.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the exact numbers but Cameron formed a parliamentary majority with only got 37% of the first past the post ballot.

Turnout was 66%, or two thirds of the 46.3 million electorate. So he won power with just over 2/5 of those who voted, or a quarter of those registered to vote.

It's simple really, pamper a quarter of the electorate while defund everyone else. It doesn't matter if the nation gets poorer and poorer as long as that quarter feel that the Tories are their best option to avoid poverty.

FG/FF seem to think the same type of politics will work here, FG certainly borrowed from Cameron's PR machine, but they are doing it by generation rather than postcode.

The Tories can sustain perpetually safe seat territories, but FF/FG are creating a demographic cliff that could well wipe out one of the parties entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

First past the post is the worst named electoral system ever. There is no post, it's just a plurality, so if there's one seat and 4 candidates, you could theoretically win the seat with just over 25% of the votes cast, which In turn could represent only 50% of eligible voters.

The Tories win because the centrists and left split the vote between the Greens, Lib Dems and Labour, while Tories only have to beat the far right BNP style parties

The other problem is Labours voter's are all clustered into the city constituencies so more wasted votes.

Let's say the country has 20 seats. Tories win 11 with 55% per seat and Labour win the other 9 with 80% per seat. In the "democratic" system that is FPtP the Tories win.

In PR Labour would be pulling almost clean sweeps across the big city constituencies especially London.

An apt description is how the Tory's don't canvas in Liverpool because no one will vote for them, and Labour don't canvas there either because they don't have to. Meanwhile at local election level far right candidates fill the vacuum and will no doubt be part of deepening England's social divisions.

A noticeable aspect of the British political system is that it never really modernised. It's extraordinary that there have been Conservative governments since 1832 and Labour ones since 1945. The system is rooted in a bygone era and never moved to change with the times.

The entire country is quite an anachronism and outlier politically and constitutionally.

It will be interesting what the next great dragon to be vanquished will be after brexit. My feeling after my time in England is that the next great other will be the enemy within, different cultures etc...

A few years of Labour governments will give them plenty of boogie people to worry about.

No surprise all this shte has come about when the Tories have had no real enemy or cause to distract them.

This is interesting. It looks like the government is looking for another EU benefit:

I'm not sure how enticed EU migrants are going to be to move to the UK in the current state it is in, particularly London.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Comparing Gov'nt here with the Tories is just silly. We're in a totally different place. If a politician turned up here for a photo op at a food bank, he would be run out of the country and rightly so. Osbourne and Cameron have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I always see a problem with 'visas for specific jobs' as follows....

Alicja might be willing and eager to work as a waitress, but if her boyfriend Jakub can't get a visa because he's a wannabe mechanic, and her sister has a similar problem, and the parents are worried that they won't be able to visit her without hassle - that could put the kybosh on the whole travel plan. Especially with 26 other countries to choose from.

It's like they haven't given much thought to the profile of the people they are aiming at - which for barristas, waiters, au-pairs etc is presumably late-teen/early twenty, and would by-and-large not be solo travellers.

Advertisement