Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

I lolled at the calf lying down. Made sound like he was falling down due to over crowding when he was really doing a very careful sit down that you see calves doing. Seen another stressed calf chewing the cud.

A little selected editing. I genuinely thought the footage they had would be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Can't catch a calf by ear or tail. Ha - Good luck with that.

In the past 41 years I've bought and reared several thousands of dairy/ dairy x beef calves and I've never caught any of them by the ear or tail. Ye need to have patience handling young calves and if you don't then unfortunately the calves are going to be handled inappropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's probably not loss making it just lower profitability. It's immaterial anyway as of next year calves will have to be kept until they are of a saleable value. Board bia is putting a maximum of 4% mortality on dairy farms

Within 2-3 years calves will have to be held to at least 4-6 weeks of age. If it's unprofitable to rear calves then it up to dairy farmers to sort it.

Shipping will probably be gone within 3 years as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

+1 on the above. If you took the older French lairage footage and the New Zealand Bobby calf footage out of it then there isn't much to be seen that isn't the inside of a mart or the outside of a lorry. Granted there was a few lad's that could do with staying away from handling calves but there wasn't much harrowing viewing imo.

Did anyone inform Fran and Co that calves die from time to time on Irish soil. The 2 dead calves at the veal unit at the end were there for a few weeks prior to there demise and you'll have losses with livestock under the best of conditions as we all know. I suppose I'll be accused of making excuses and what not but of all the heinous things that happen to man and beast worldwide on a daily basis I don't think any of what they documented would make the top 10,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭lmk123

I h

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

When you look at it ,it comes down to calf handling training and facilities .I ll hold up my hand and say I did not know it was illegal to move a calf by the tail but many of the problems are created by poor design of facilities in marts and a poor understanding of handling calves.you would have to ask questions as to wether its appropriate to trade calves that ultimately end up being exported through the mart.the amount of time and extra handling added to the system cannot be afforded given the overall distance that has to be travelled. I didn't like the way it was portrayed that assembly point s were somehow shady when it offers massive animal welfare improvements over going through the ring.every thing should be done to streamline and improve the process and I think the dairy industry should embrace any changes that positively improve ca.lf welfare.just one thing that struck me is the quote that the Netherlands exports 90 % of its veal and I don't understand why it can't be done here to so e extent.one last thing is I cant understand how any calves survive if the practices shown are wide spread because if they were subjected to that management on farms they all be dead .bottom line everyone involved must work to improve the welfare of the calves that are exported

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The thing that Fran didn’t state when he was on about the temperature in France was the trailers all have fans on them and nipple water drinkers and are all inspected to be used as livestock transportation, the Hynes come out of looking bad that she didn’t know what was happening when they sold their calves, they must be related to someone in Rte. the marts using the sticks have no one to blame only themselves, also no input by IFA the main farming body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I thought it would have been a lot worse with all the “build up” to it over the weekend.

Yes there’s definitely a few men that need reprimanding in it but you can be sure they didn’t just spend 10 minutes recording the footage. There was probably hours of footage from various different marts, and if them few short clips were the worst of what they found it hardly justified a trip to France and Spain for Fran and his team at the expense of the tax payer.

Record enough of hours of footage in any workplace dealing in the care of animals or people and I’m sure there’ll be incidents that shouldn’t happen but do.

It’s a bit strange to be making the assembly points and lairages out to be some sort of dirty secret. If anything the way to improve the transport situation is to have more lairages so the lorry’s can pull in and let the calves out for an hour along the way.

Showing a calf lying down chewing his cud in a straw bedded pen in a mart is great to see if you ask me, that pen of calves were under very minimal stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TBH, I can't believe that you didn't see it coming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Another example of Fran’s dramatic commentary which is inaccurate: when the worker in France pulled out the dead calf before unloading the rest, Fran said the other calves all stopped to look at it as they passed. The implication being they were sad at their friends death.

What he didn’t say was that if a live calf or Fran himself stood in the same spot as the dead calf, the other calves would all stop for a look too.

Thats just what calves do. They’re curious and nervous. That’s normal calf behaviour.

But not according to Fran.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Very much pandering to the far left and the vegan wing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Showing 8 year old footage from new Zealand was a bit stupid too.. And the 2 ones at the mart do they want a big massive pen for each calf in the mart individually. See my friend wicklow cattle company on it too....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The footage from New Zealand had no place ….that was pure barbaric

programme was hard hitting and some of treatement seen at Marts not acceptable ….since quotas went there’s been huge expansion after been shackled for years …..kiwi style dairying was the model main advisory bodies shoved us twoards despite highly questionable welfare and enviro standards ….that was the start of the position we are now in ….Tegasc got away very very lightly last night don’t think they got a mention …..roofless cubicles …kiwi genetics …high fertiliser usage ,second,third units ….load on the cows worry about slurry storage later etc etc and only one has the balls to admit they forgot to think about all the extra calves

export needs to stay as I feel bigger welfare issues will crop up if we don’t ….whole thing from calves leaving our farm to arriving at a veal farm in Holland ,Spain Poland wherever needs serious thought put into it …calves on a truck over 17:18 hours without unloading and good feed is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Hold on there. Of course you can catch a calf without catching them by the ear or tail. That’s a silly thing to say

There was some fine calves on it I thought. Alot of fine healthy dairy beef calves referred to as worthless and byproducts. But still worth enough to drive them all the way to Poland and Spain.

Biggest problem I see is too many cows calving at the same time. The calves are far from "worthless byproducts" before and after the glut.

Ya, I usually just pick them up off the ground and give them the VIP treatment. Never said you couldn't catch them like you say bogman.

The NFU were quite vocal in their opposition to Brexit. It was other cheerleaders that were making those claims

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Pat Dillon from Teagasc didn't come across well, but overall the Govt's FoodWise-2025 plan on 'more milk at any cost' got away very lightly. Why not look at the breeding policy promoted by Teagasc/Govt policy that is continuing to produce the €5 calf?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For me, the guy throwing the calf off the trailer was the worst part. They must have filmed hundreds of hours to capture that. I've been at marts all my life and I never seen anything like that. I still think the use of sticks to handle calves is fine as long as they are not belted with them. Giving a calf a gentle prod to move and using the stick to direct them is fine in my book.

Would subsidised Veal Production be the answer to "worthless" dairy calves?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users Posts: 11 captain hadley

Apart from a couple of incidents there was nothing on show that was bad .Fran I say was disappointed that he didn't get any real juicy stories. Where was the ifa all we had was a certain farming couple who loves to be in the limelight. Then on twitter we'll have the certain progessive farmers who feed no meal and can make a profit at 20 cent a litre apparently having a pop at mart staff and hauliers I wonder where there calves end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Imo the vet was the only one that came across any way well. The tesgasc guy got away lightly as did the marts guy. My thoughts on the media attention seeking farming couple are best kept to my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You had the president of ICMSA, A dairy organisation, commenting. IFA were never asked to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

The mother here almost 70 often feed the calves, she needs a stick to give them a little tip on the nose to get them off the feeder or keep back a hungry one to let a slower one drink..she is not a person I would describe as cruel to animals .but I agree in general no need for a stick loading or dosing etc.

Local farm store had a box of show sticks for sale. They put a sign on the box cattle sticks €10. Not long after the cruelty crowd were on. Sign was changed to steering sticks....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

I’m not a farmer and have no experience of farming. I’m very interested in what happens on farms, especially Irish ones. I’m surprised by the reactions on this thread. The attitude that the footage wasn’t so bad. It was horrific. Regardless of the hitting and throwing of calves, the fact that they’re taken from their mothers so young and packed into a truck for so many hours is extremely cruel.

I don’t know how anyone can support an industry that does this to animals. There must be a better way. More and more young people are concerned with animal rights and climate change so farmers really should be trying to address these issues, not just for the sake of the animals and environment but also for their livelihoods.

Hoping someone in the know can answer some of my questions:

The law states they must get a break after 9 hours. But what break? Does that mean that the truck must stop for an hour every 9 hours? Surely the driver can’t let the calves out of the truck every 9 hours so it’s not really a break is it?

Why don’t more farmers use the ‘sex semen’ to ensure that dairy cows only give birth to female calves? It seems to me that this is the only clear answer to this issue.

I’m not looking for an argument. I’m hoping to get answers and more insight into how dairy farmers operate. Thanks. 

• Advertisement

Conception rates with sexed semen wouldn't be as good as conventional seven. It's also more expensive. For those spring calving herds it's crucial to have a compact calving spread. If cows don't hold to the sexed semen you're losing the compact calving season

Advertisement